Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
penemuel

The Chicken-Legged Hut

THE CHICKEN-LEGGED HUT
But at evening she came all at once to the green lawn where the wretched little hut stood on its hens' legs. The wall around the hut was made of human bones and on its top were skulls. There was a gate in the wall, whose hinges were the bones of human feet and whose locks were jaw-bones set with sharp teeth. The sight filled Vasilissa with horror and she stopped as still as a post buried in the ground.

Creaky wood and sun-dried thatching, clacking bones, leering skulls, burnt herbs, and enormous magical chicken feet.

I'm surprised there haven't been reviews of this already. So this is my first 'first review' post!

I'm getting a lot of sun-warmed thatching and wood -- definitely a sweet, hay-like scent. But there's also a heaviness to the sweetness that's almost kind of nutty. It smells like something I know, and I can't put my finger on it. Possibly something like chestnuts?

I'm not getting a lot of herbs, but fortunately I'm not getting chicken feet, either. :lol:

This is a nice, warm scent, but perhaps just a smidge too sweet for me. It doesn't seem to change much from initial application, just gets slightly more sweet and warm.

It also seems to stick pretty close to the skin, but then again I only used one swipe of the imp wand on the back of my hand, instead of on my pulse point. I think it has the potential to have much more throw if more is used. Edited by Shollin

Cream of wheat with hints of herbs and chicken feet! :lol: the novelty of this scent makes me want to keep it!

Edited by Dark Alice

In the bottle: a warm scent, softly sweet and gently spiced, but on the neutral end of things, not cloying

Wet: definitely getting more of the burnt herbs in with the spices over the bottle smell, which seems almost nutty and syrupy

As it dries the herbs dominate, in a smokey medicinal sort of way. This definitely smells like the inside of a cluttered, wooden medicine hut under the midday sun. I'm starting to smell the straw roof, as well.

Dry this is soft but rich. I smell mostly the wheaty, straw roof and sweet, burned herbs with a background of dried wood. I can definitely understand the cream of wheat with brown sugar comparison.

I wanted badly to smell the chicken legs in there, and while I can easily see myself in the chicken-legged hut when I smell this, I don't get the magical legs as an actual note. Not an explicit pro or con, just my experience with it.

The sweet almost nutty scent kept making me paranoid because it reminded me of my awful experience with Cockaign, but this comes with none of the nauseating reaction I had experienced to that.

Wet: sunny herbs

On skin: sun-warmed herbs, not as spicy as Sunbird

Half-hour later: distinctive grains from Dana O'Shee have appeared

In conclusion: I don't get any weird elements, like bones or skull or chicken feet. Just a slightly spicier Dana O'Shee, light and pretty. I was sure thrown off by the name!

This smells like warm grains drying in the sun, slightly sweet and slightly herbal. Much nicer than something containing chicken feet should ever smell! :lol:

The Chicken-Legged Hut

In Bottle: Mostly a firm but not overwhelming burned sweet smell, like burnt sugar or syrup, then after hits of dusty hay

Wet: Same as in bottle, I see the connection with cream of wheat but it reminds me even more of a hot cereal my mother used to cook called Maypo

Dry: More of the same with a stronger note of hay but more of a dirty unclean hay I suppose thats the chicken connection, just a hint of a chicken shack.

I bought this because, well how could I not with a name like that. While the novelty factor of this sent is huge the smells just not for me.

The chicken-Legged Hut smells like someone took a bowl of warm, grainy oatmeal and sprinkled honeyed nuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon spice over it. Then it smells like someone took that bowl of oatmeal and threw it up against an old barn wall and watched it drip down into the dusty, dry hay below. It's an odd mix of warm, foodie, almost cloying sweetness and dry, dusty hay/woods. I don't get much of an herbal feel from this.

This isn't awful, but it's not very wearable to me (a little too sweet and a little too dry/dusty on my skin). It's also a very light scent on me, and only lasts a couple hours. I might try out my sample in the oil warmer, but I don't think that I'll be buying more of this one.

Oh maaaan.

Hay and herbs drying in the sun, barnyard dust, fireplace ashes, pecans for some reason -- and yes, a distinct smell of cracked grain. Which, I suppose, is what chickens' feet probably smell like. I must confess to never having sniffed them.

I like this scent way more than is reasonable. WTF. It's just so...dry and summery and bucolic.

This was a last-minute impulse addition to an imp pack. I'd looked at the blend before, and remembered that I wanted to try it, but I didn't review the notes or reviews when I ordered, nor when I tested this for the first time...

In the Imp: foody!

Wet on Skin: This reminds me of something specific, but I can't quite place it. Something yummy. This should come with a warning label - do not test right before driving somewhere (couldn't keep my wrists out of my face).

After a Little While: Aha! Oatmeal! Oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar! No wonder I'm hungry.

Later: Sexy oatmeal. (Oatmeal with something in the background giving a sexy vibe). Someone is in the Chicken-Legged Hut making home made oatmeal, wearing nothing but an apron.

Final Thoughts: Not what I was expecting. I love it when my random impulses to test something turn out so well! Throw is mid-range for the first several hours, then becomes more of a skin scent (at this stage, the Sexy vibe increases, and the oatmeal impression dies down). Definitely a fun scent!

The Chicken-Legged Hut earns a 4/5 on my skin.

A bit like roast chicken and bit like tonka - odd and unpleasant on me, a convoluted and sickeningly rich blend of savoury and sweet greasiness. :eek:

I am not a fan...but eventually I will work up the courage to skin test and provide a more in-depth review.

This was a frimp from the lab. When I opened the imp, I got this really foody, comforting scent of buttery, caramel popcorn. I thought it would be a good night scent to fall asleep to.

Wrong!

Wet on my skin, a strong hay note took over and got crazy. There was a sort of hot breakfast cereal note under the hay, but all of the caramel goodness fled. Then somebody lit some brimstone.

On the drydown, I got brimstone and burning hay, a very unsettling, unhappy scent. I decided to wash it off. I can't go to bed smelling like that, or I'll wake myself up thinking the house is on fire. This is not for my skin chemistry at all.

I've never smelled cream of wheat, so I couldn't say if this smells like it. ;) To me it smells kind of like an herbal tonic, something that would be thrust under your nose with the command to 'Drink!' and you wouldn't be able to tell what the hell was it in, but you could just tell from the smell alone that it was wholesome and good for you. At the same time, it makes me think of a dusty courtyard rimmed with green grass, the entire area bathed in blindingly-bright, warm sunlight. It's a very 'yellow' scent, very bright and happy and carefree, which isn't what I'd associate with Baba Yaga at all, LOL. But, it's kinda fun. It doesn't seem to stick around very long, though.

Oats, tonka, brown sugar, hay. And a bit of nuts. In the end, it smells like breakfast in an old farmhouse barn. There's something very 'outside' in this blend - and I think its the hay.

Definitely one of the stranger BPALs.

imp: spicy, almost buttery, wood. interesting.

wet: nuts, creamy woods, sweet dried herbs... this is amazing. i think i might be getting a bottle.

dry: this reminds me of gunpowder, but without the carrot. it's rich, creamy nuts and oats. will be buying a bottle with my next order.

Wet: Smoky, dried grass. Then smoky wood.

Drydown: This keeps shifting on me. Smoky wood, then smoky herbs, with some kind of creaminess or sweetness underneath. I honestly can't pick out individual notes here. It gets sweeter the longer I wear it.

The throw is actually quite good, though it doesn't last a long time on my skin. I think I like this one a lot.

Chicken-Legged Hut is all over the place for me. In the imp, it's all herbs and dry woods. On my skin, it turns into overly sweet, caramel madness with roasted nuts sprinkled over said madness. Crazy. I find the sweetness to be on the nauseating side. It kind of reminds me of Cockaigne in that sense. As it's drying, a lukewarm cream-like note starts to come out, the same note I smell in Großvater Tanz.

I find the sweetness to be on the nauseating side. It kind of reminds me of Cockaigne in that sense.

^This. The Chicken-Legged Hut has the same burnt cookie scent as Cockaigne in the imp. It turns to very sweet smoky hay on my skin.

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

Honestly, I had to have this if only for the name. And the mention of enormous magical chicken feet in the description. :lol:

That being said, the notes don't sound bad at all to me. I don't think I'd want to smell like actual chicken feet (they tend to be a bit...ripe, thanks to walking around in a barnyard all day), but I have no doubt that if anyone can make it work, it would be Beth. Everything else sounds good, too. I love wood and I like hay (thatching) and herbs.

First sniff:

I can see where people are getting oats/breakfast cereal/cream of wheat from. There is a definite grain scent to this that makes me think of breakfast (and warm blankets for some reason). I'm testing Halfling today and there's somewhat of a similarity between Halfling's porridge note and The Chicken-Legged Hut.

This isn't just oats/grains, though. There's something very slightly herbal here and something that just smells like a barn to me. In a good way. Not manure and trampled hay. Sort of old, sun-warmed wood, (clean) hay and a slight muskiness.

Wet on skin:

No real change. The Chicken-Legged Hut is one of those scents where, if you told me that it smelled like what I'm getting, I would have thought it sounded a little gross, but it actually works. I get warm, cozy grains with a hint of spice, just a touch of herbs and some very light, sun-warmed wood. No chicken feet, or at least none that smell like the chicken feet that I've smelled. Wow, that sounds strange when I put it like that. :lol:

Dry down:

Honestly, I would have kept this even if it smelled horrible. I would have set it aside and looked at it now and then and laughed over the name and the description. Luckily, that's not going to happen. Not only am I keeping The Chicken-Legged Hut, but I'm going to be wearing it.

It's a very stable scent on me. There's very little change from the bottle scent to the drydown on me. It stays a sort of "breakfast in a cozy, 'picture book' barn" on me. There's nothing evil or scary about this scent, but that's fine by me. :D

The bottom line:

I would have kept my bottle even if it smelled exactly like (real) chicken feet. Luckily it doesn't, so I can not only keep it, but wear it, too. :lol:

The Chicken-Legged Hut - I knew I wouldn't like this from the description, but if something claims to smell like magical chicken feet, I've just got to check it out! It predominantly smells like hay and grains and something nutty that reminds me of Sleipnir, which I did not like due to the nuts. It's like Hay Moon and Sleipner hooked up in a barn. It's very dusty and outdoorsy and odd. It's definitely not for me, but fun to try nevertheless. I also must say that I didn't get even the slightest hint of magical chicken feet. I'd like to see a magical chicken feet single note now, please!

Ah yes. Magical chicken feet. I remember sniffing this at will call after it first came out and being so scared of the description, but finding the actual blend pretty pleasant. Now it's time to try it for reals!

Mmm yes, this is so yummy in the imp. Not foody yummy. Wonderful warm spices! Burnt in the best possible way! So curious to try to this on my skin!

Mmmm...warm hay and spices. OMG I love this. Such an amazing autumn/winter scent. I definitely also get that oaty/nutty scent that other reviewers have described. Delish! Who knew Magical Chicken Feet could smell so good!

Seriously, this dries down amazingly. The spices mellow out a bit on full drydown, and its this warm, nutty, herby, spicy, awesomeness. Love it! Would definitely pick up a bottle or partial of this one day!

This scent smells like it could be a Weenie. It has a dark, autumny, sweet feel to it. The wood is soft, and there is a tang that I read as cider, before knowing the notes. There is dust there, but it's mostly warm and spicy. I'm very fond of it, and glad it's GC!

In bottle: This is well suited to it’s concept. Wood and medicinal herbs are strongest, but it definitely has a lot of bone to it was well and there is a touch of smoke, thatch and something avian about it. I’m not sure I want to smell this much like medicinal tea, but it certainly is interesting. Wet: The Wood and avian scent go well together, but I’m sure now there is chamomile among the herbs, and while I like it in tea, it goes badly with my skin chemistry in scents. The smoke goes well with the bone accord. I suspect I’d already be in love if this didn’t have chamomile. Dry: Mostly wood and chamomile.

What is this? Strange, sharp, herbal, almost bitter...with the hint of nutty/grainy/maple. It reminds me a touch of eating a maple doughnut and candied pecans while showering with a bar of Irish Spring. The oddest damned thing!