Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ophidiae

The White Rider

White leather and sandalwood.

In the bottle and just on my skin, my first thought was "this smells like a doctor's office!" Disinfectant and anxiety. It's been interesting to read through the many different odd things people smell in this when it's wet! So even though nobody else apparently got the same impression, at least I'm not alone in my initial repulsion.

As it started to dry, the leather came out in a big way. At first, I didn't like it - it was the smell of a leather goods booth at the county fair (this is a universal experience, right?), very strong and fresh and kind of industrial leather. But eventually it softened and the sandalwood came out, blending perfectly and evenly. The comparisons to perfumed handbags and gloves are perfect. By this point, I really, really loved it. It was quite a journey, though!

In the imp: Soft, gentle leather and sandalwood. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's much the same; the two notes are relatively balanced. As it dries, the leather becomes more prominent, but it's not an overpowering leather. It's almost... fuzzy? However, after the immediate drydown, the sandalwood becomes the main player. However, the soft leather doesn't disappear. It's more like... fuzzy, leather-wrapped sandalwood?

It's perfectly nice for what it is, but I'm not sure it's me. This scent leans unisex to conventionally masculine. I'd probably love it with a hint of something sweet, but as it is, it seems like a BPAL meant for someone else. 

Wet: This may be shocking to read... but it smells like leather and sandalwood. The sandalwood smells a bit warm and dusty. The leather isn't a strong, knock-you-on-your-ass type; rather than a "new" leather scent, this reminds me more of something that's a bit more worn.

Dry: Dang. The leather scent is rather sharp smelling now. The sandalwood is still pretty dusty, and seems to be the dominant scent.

Not for me!

Really like BPAL's leather note, but on me it's SUPER STRONG and drowns out everything so I can't even detect the sandalwood after 10 mins and lord does that leather note grow stronger and stronger.

On it's own it's a bit much but I love White Rider layered to create different fragrances eg layered it with sandalwood SN, vanilla + white pepper oil,  and Poesie White House garden (fig, musk, lemon) and it's glorious. The other notes tame the leather while the latter lends strength and longevity to the whole; can't wait to play with other combinations! 

As a standalone fragrance though I prefer the more balanced leather dominant frags in the Pleasures of the Imagination series. 

Edited by queenshaboo

You're walking down a small town Main Street on a hot summer day. As you pass a shop, the scent of leather draws you inside. Standing in the center of the small shop, the sun-warmed wood blends with the leather and you forget all about wherever you were headed.

I received this as a frimp and tested it without looking it up. It is recognizably, no-nonsense pale leather and sandalwood. It is bone dry, potent, and mesmerizing.

I can't quite speak to the longevity, but it stuck around after I washed my wrist. It has medium projection.

This is perhaps extremely off the wall, but when it's wet the scent of White Rider really, really reminds me of the smell of fresh water.

It also reminds me of my aunt's house, with all her handmade quilts and cute little country-timey decorations.

This is probably the least helpful review ever.  White Rider confuses me, but I like it!

I received an order over a week ago, and I just picked up the velvet bag that my imps had come in, and BAM: The White Rider was hiding in there! What a frimpy surprise!

wet & fresh: clean leather, pale green like when my cats snack on their cat grass, no earthiness.
drydown: light leather, close to the skin, still a hint of green freshness - all bright green leaves, no herby tang.
later: all smooth leather, like wearing a thin leather cuff or riding a horse in a well-worn saddle. 

I never got sandalwood.

This sits very close to the skin, and is such a comforting note. I would wear this on days when I want to feel homey, but secretly and only on my own terms. This would also be great for layering.

Soft leather, not harsh at all. The sandalwood seems more like dirt to me. 

Definitely enjoy this more than The Black Rider, but I doubt I would wear this often. It's a nice comforting scent, but I'd rather just use this for layering than wear on its own. I'm glad that the leather isn't too strong, especially since this is a two note blend. I think my imp is aged so I'm sure that newer ones the leather may be stronger. 

This is SUPER strong leather.

Don't be fooled by the "white" in the blend's title, there is nothing faint or light about this scent.

It reminds me of my grandpa's workshop in the basement that had leather scraps, cloths drenched in various fluids (paints, paint thinners, other chemicals) and wooden parts all over the place.

It's dreny and resinous, very potent and probably great for layering purposes.

Gorgeous, soft, smells like someone I'd want to hug ❤️ 

Something in here works so nicely on my skin, I can't figure out if it's the leather or the sandalwood... 

Truly, the softest of calfskin leather, gently creased, smooth as baby skin. Alas, it's such a light scent, that I have to press my nose right up to my wrist to get anything at all. This reminds me quite a lot of Paladin, which was another scent I love, love, loved, but was too faint to catch.

This isn't my first testing of the White Rider but I just received a lab frimp of it and realized I never reviewed it. I did know that I didn't love it, however, but was willing to give it another go.

I'm assuming that the "horsiness" that others are getting is the zoo guano note that I'm picking up. Luckily there is enough other stuff going on to distract from damp decomp. I'm not a big fan of either leather nor sandalwood, but I can see how some would find this pleasant. It does seem to last a long while. Passing this onwards.