Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Upstart Crow

The Lights of Men's Lives

The wax and smoke of millions upon millions of candles illuminating the walls of Death’s shadowy cave: some tall, straight, and strong, blazing with the fire of life, others dim and guttering.

Very beeswax, with a bit of a smokiness to it (yes, candle-smoke rather than a tobacco or mechanical smell). Reminds me a bit of a workshop, a craftsman sort of smell.

Try this one if you like No. 93 Engine.

Wet: Sweet beeswax. I am learning that I amp this note, so if there is a smoke note under there, I can't smell it.

Dry: Not nearly as sweet as it was initially. I like beeswax, but I think it is a note I like best when it's with other things. This is nice, but I can't really see wearing it.

Bottle: Faint, sweet, and warm candle flame and newly melted wax.

Wet: Warm, potent, rich candle wax: beeswax and vanilla. Maybe even a drop of honey.

Dry: The same, but with a little smoke. I think there's a little skin musk.

I'll get a bottle.

In the imp this smells very warm, glowing and sweet.

Once it settles on my skin it doesn't morph much, but the sweetness backs off a little and gives way to a bit of smoke. This is one of those "your skin but better" smells and I love it. It lasts really long on me (even after a bath), and at the final stage this smells the same on my skin as the RPG Good.

I love it and I'm getting a bottle!

Pretty much straight unrefined beeswax candle to me. My grandmother used to make her own and re-melt the remains. I think it's also similar to those long, dark yellow candles Eastern Ortodox churches use, but it's been a while since I visited one. It sticks rather close to skin and wear length is medium.

Expensive lightly vanilla-scented candle. Not an intense vanilla cupcake candle. A really light and beautiful vanilla over smooth wax, and a touch of candle smoke. Dry the vanilla becomes more prominent and the smoke fades. There may be some skin musk too. There's a sweet warmth, but it could just be the vanilla. I like the scent, but it's just smells so much like a candle I am unsure how often I will wear it.

This scent makes me smile. I'm coming to learn that I adore the lab's beeswax note. Like the honey note, it's harsh and a little unpleasant while wet. The beeswax goes really plasticky, and I'd even use the dreaded play-doh comparison for about a half hour. I, being of faint heart where unpleasant scents are concerned, start thinking about washing it off at this stage--but patience has its rewards. Dry, about an hour in, this is GORGEOUS. It's pure, honey-vanilla beeswax. I get a hint of smoke from time to time, but it's not woodsmoke--it's candle smoke, the same scent you get from a freshly-extinguished candle. It's really remarkable, how accurate it is. And the best part? The staying power. Holy crackers does this ever stick around. I put some on my wrist last night before bed, and nearly a full 24 hours later, through an entire workday, which included digging in the dirt and layering another perfume (long gone) on top, I can still smell this. And it's got throw, too. I have to say, I suspect a bottle of this is in my future. This is basically vanilla beeswax candle single note and I love it.

Edited by MischiefofRats

Didn't like this one when I first got it, I was disappointed because everyone raves about it.

I know bpal just enough to know not to give up on something if you don't like it right away, especially a beeswax scent. So I put this one aside and kinda forgot about it.

Tried it again a couple days ago (probably 2-3 years old now) and LOVED it! I'm not the biggest fan of the opening, I find it a little sharp and sweaty (which must be the "wet" beeswax because bpal's honey note does that on me too) but with age the opening has shortened and now only lasts 10-15mins while fresh that sharp/sweaty note was over an hour.

Dry it's a beautiful creamy, slightly vanilla type sweet beeswax and it lasts and lasts and lasts.

It's now migrated to my "to buy" pile

I get the hype now and I'm happy :rolleyes2:

How did I not know this was in the general catalogue?! I got this as a frimp with a Weenie bottle swap, and it is beeswax and smokey, with a sweetness that could be vanilla maybe? Beautiful and comforting.

This one came out while I was less active on BPAL. I just got an imp of it with a purchase of Nasty woman and am delighted by it! Warm, sweet and beeswax is right. very nice!

This is one of those that I have no idea whether I would wear it enough to buy a bottle, but I just have to marvel at the artistry. This smells exactly like a just-blown-out candle cooling off! There's some smoke that's sharp and slightly bitter, tempered by a smooth beeswax note and a warm vanilla. The beeswax and vanilla blend perfectly into an exact dupe of a vanilla candle--it's kind of amazing. The smoke note even tricks my throat into being a little sore, like I'm breathing in the real thing. It's that realistic.

Do I want to smell like this? I have no idea, but I can't stop sniffing my arm.

In the imp: Sweet beeswax.

Wet on my skin: Sweet beeswax...and a little bit of candle smoke.

Dry: This is a true, sweet, slightly vanillic beeswax candle with wisps of candle smoke. Specifically candle smoke, not any other sort. It's warm and comforting, and I understand why it's such a popular and beloved scent now. There are other beeswax scents I like better, so I don't need a bottle, but I'm curious about how this might layer with a few other things. Definitely will keep and use the imp.

I received Lights of Men's Lives in a swap just as I was about to go watch my son in a production of Mary Zimmerman's play The Secret in the Wings, which is all about dark fairy tales. I slathered some on as I left the house and could not stop smelling my wrists as I watched the brilliant young actors as kings and queens and ogres and frightened children. I love this scent -- warm beeswax with a faint touch of vanilla. It will always remind me of the play, but I can also see it becoming one of a handful of everyday scents for me. And it's GC! Almost certainly a bottle in my next Lab purchase.

Probably my all-time favorite BPAL, as of yet. It's sweet, warm, beautiful, and calming. wet it's all beeswax, honey, and vanilla. it is a little sharp wet. but once introduced to body heat it begins to blossom. the honey is rich and golden and i can smell the flowers the honey came from. the beeswax is soft and pillowy and rounds out the whole scent. and the vanilla is pure, creamy sweet. there's a skin musk to it as well, like the scent of skin after a day in the sun. i don't know what the throw is like in regards to how well other people can smell me, but in terms of how well i can smell myself it's ideal. i often feel like my skin eats oils and i can hardly smell them. but this is one that radiates off me and wafts up and i'm just surrounded by this lovely cloud of scent. i will never be without a bottle.

very pretty. smells more like honey than beexwax to me though. reminds me of a softer O. it puts me in mind of the old remedy by grandma used to make me for a sore throat which was warm milk with honey and butter. warm, creamy and soothing.

I have tried this before, but I never took the time to actually review it.

Now I'm reviewing two imps, one fresh, and one aged. The aged imp is golden, while the fresh imp is darker (more orange in color).

In the fresh imp: Sweet beeswax with perhaps a wisp of smoke in the background.

In the aged imp: It also smells like sweet beeswax, but I feel like the aged version is smoother.

Wet stage (fresh imp): Sweet beeswax! The fresh version is sweeter than the aged imp.

Wet stage (aged imp): The sweet beeswax note reigns here as well, but I do get more of a blown-out candle vibe from this imp, and I'm reminded of BPTP's Candlelight atmo (which I adore).

Dry stage (fresh imp): This remains as a lovely, sweet beeswax scent. It stays close to the skin.

Dry stage (aged imp): I am definitely still getting more of the wisps of smoke from the candles in the aged version, very reminiscent of Candlelight, but the sweet beeswax is also the star here.

Verdict: The only reason I never upgraded to a bottle was because I already have (Not So) Penitent (Mini) Magdalene for a beeswax scent. I will continue holding onto my imps, though, because this scent is wonderful. :wub:

Got this as a frimp and had no idea which line it was from, and upon research, it's one of my new faves! Both the story and the scent are beautiful, and I got compliments from those around me when I wore it. Yay for trying new things!

I got this as a frimp with my last order. I really like it! It really does smell like sweet candles with hints of smoke. If Within Temptation's song "Candles" had a scent, this would be it. 🕯️🕯️🕯️

I don't really get beeswax, dust, or smoke. It actually reminds me a lot of the creaminess from Atsui-mono. I guess the honeyed vanilla is a powerful note that I bring out in both.

Really amazing scent; it smells just like beeswax with a hint of vanilla once it has dried on my skin. Subtle and comforting---I can definitely see myself wearing this on days when I want to feel cozy.

First Sniff: Sugary sweet candied coconut.

Initial Wet Application: As I put it on my wrist, it suddenly doesn’t seem there at all; just a bare whiff of sweet coconut. I like the first sniff, but I just know this is going to fade within the hour. 

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): I double-applied this since it was so faint, with 4 swipes of the wand. As this continued to dry I was getting gentle baby powder too. I’m also getting a hint of vanilla candle, as some other’s have described, but it’s faint and not likely to stick around either. :(

My Reaction: The sweet coconut is lovely, but overall this is just too light on my skin.  I want to like this, but it’s just too faint. My coconut favorite is Obatala anyway.

Rating: 1

Honeyed vanilla and beeswax...very sweet and light to me. 

In the imp: total sugary vanilla, no candle.

Wet: Immediately becomes a delicious beeswax candle smell. Vanilla AND candles, but not a vanilla candle. Just lovely. I smell some candle smokiness right away, as just a smudge of lampblack. I am delighted by that. 

Early drydown: beeswax is smelling a bit more like straight honey if I sniff my wrists too much. The wafts of airy, ethereal vanilla I’m getting as the oil on my neck warms are absolutely lovey and still carry the distinct wax&smoke of candles with the honey much fainter and reading as a sweet beeswax. 

Hours later: vanilla and creamed honey. Musk? There is still something special to it, some lingering memory of the candles that stops it from being just another light, creamy vanilla smell. I don’t know if others would say “aha!” if I told them that smell is beeswax and smoke or if they would just look at me funny. But I know. And it is very nice. 

It really is a lovey, light vanilla. It didn’t really change too much over time which is nice for a sweet, comforting smell like this. Throw and longevity are great for a lighter vanilla...I do mean light as a qualitative impression, not light as in too next-to-skin to be detected. It does become a lovey skin scent but it is so much more...the skin/candle relationship is delightful. This is a great compromise between something unique for enthusiasts (lampblack! Beeswax! A great story inspiration!) and something you can safely wear anywhere (sweet, vanilla dominated).  Overall, I don’t know that it’s what I’m looking for in a bottle since I seem drawn to more...polarizing stuff. There’s not a thing wrong with it, and I will see how the imp ages and if I start longing for more of it...it IS a nice departure from smokier waxy lampblack scents I’ve collected in the past and the honey makes it stand out among the mainstream frag light vanillas I have. 

In the imp, I cannot stand the smell of this. Overly sweet honey something or other. Good thing I've heard a lot about this one or else I wouldn't have tried it.

That sickeningly sweet smell goes away almost immediately and it dries into a simple but wonderfully pleasant beeswax with the faintest smoke. Really lovely, close to the skin, fairly neutral blend.