Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Upstart Crow

Thy Godfather's Present

A bruised purple bundle of herbs with hyssop and life-everlasting.

Wet: Cool and sweet. Blue-green.

Drydown: It smells sort of like sweet juniper. There's almost a menthol-vibe, but not quite. Clean and refreshing.

Dry: Softer now. Still cool and clean but it now smells floral. Light and pillowy. Silvery purples and pale greens. Fades quickly.

This one's definitely not for me. Strong, sharp floral that reminds me of, well, industrial strength bathroom freshener. Feels harsh in my nose as I exhale and.... I'm washing it off. :(

I got an imp of this with an order, so I decided to try it out.

In the imp it is green, fresh, herbal, with a hint of floral.

Wet on my skin all I get is soap. A moment or two later it is still soapy, but there is a darker, almost smokiness about the soap. I have no idea where it is coming from. Still nothing floral about it.

It eventually settles into an herbal soap, but still very soapy on me. Then again I have noticed several BPAL scents tend to go soapy on me.

Working my way through my BPAL collection, reviewing, revisiting and in some cases -- as in this one -- trying something for the first time. Received this as either a frimp from a Lab order or lagniappe in a swap/purchase within the last month or two. Am pretty sure it's a frimp judging solely on it being in pristine condition.

IN THE IMP: Green and clean. Quite soapy.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: I admit I have no idea what hyssop OR life everlasting is or what it's supposed to smell like, and "herbs" can cover a lot of possibilities so I didn't have any expectations regarding this. It's not unpleasant when applied but it is WAAAAAYYYYY too soapy for me, and slightly metallic.

DRYDOWN: It stays soapy and green and herbal. I get a tiny hint of the Clairol Herbal Essence scent (which in and of itself I loved) but its offset by other notes that really don't work for me at all. The drydown is way more aquatic than herbal and I am not a fan of aquatic.

OVERALL: Definitely not me. Very strong, a lot of throw, and not my style at all.

On a scale of 1-5, about a 1.5

ITI: Hmm, there is an aquatic note in here somewhere. I also can pick up the herbs and slightly sweet florals.

Wet: Hyssop, light herb, and fainter aquatic. It's nicer on my skin than it is in the bottle.

Dry: The hyssop is stronger when dried, but part of the notes remind me of early 90's Glade air freshener.

In the bottle - Tart green floral with a hint of sage

Wet on me - Slightly lemony now, but still with that sage beneath

Dry on me - A soft clean scent that disappeared quite quickly

Overall - Doesn't make much of an impression

Wet, it's like fresh herbs, oregano maybe? Dry, herbal soap, like the kind in a health food store. Wait! I know what this smells like! Herbal essence shampoo, the kind with the pretty label, a girl with long blonde tresses and the shampoo was green. I haven't seen that shampoo for years..

Got this as a frimp.

Very herbal. It smells like a bundle of medicinal plants. It's very "organic" smelling, like a real cutting of herbs.

I like it. As perfume, it's very subtle, but interesting, and slightly sweet. I enjoy how authentically natural the scent is; will have to wear this out and see how friends respond.

Edit: Eventually becomes a bit smokier, but in a pleasant way, like you're burning the herbs.

Edited by applecider10

Only tried this because I'm getting to the last of my frimps.

Surprisingly nice: herbal, floral, sweet, and purple are the words I'd use to describe this.

Quite wearable and would make a nice spring scent. I don't need a bottle of this but I will be keeping the imp.

Mmmm when first applied this is plummy herbs! There's something in this that reminds me of The Fairy Market. As it dries, the herbs soften and the plum becomes sweeter. The final dry down is a lightly clean and herbal scent. It feels unfinished in some way. I really love simple scents but this one missed the mark for me. I bet this would work as a layering scent.

I'm not sure what hyssop or life everlasting smell like on their own, but I'd classify this scent as herbal. Vaguely green like a garden. Then a sweet, purple wine note comes forward. Finally, it all turns soapy. Pass.

I put this on before I went online and read the notes, and it really surprised me! To me this is like a sweet, maybe slightly white floral, but I can't distinguish the individual notes. I'm not actually getting any herbalness from it.

It is quite pleasant, but maybe a little too non-distinct for me? I don't know, but it's probably not something I would reach for very often, but I'm glad I got to try it.

I'm not sure if it's the power of suggestion from the description, but I get purple sage from this when it's wet. It's herbal and light. When it dries, it doesn't change dramatically, but it shifts just enough to go from a bundle of fresh cut purple sage to very clean soap. On the bright side, it is a very clean and welcoming soap, but still soap.

In the imp: This reads as purple with some green herbs beneath it to my nose. I wonder if there is blackberry juice in this, mingling with a perfume-y floral and some herbs?

Wet: I do get some the juice of kind of tart, dark berry squeezed over a sharp, perfume-y floral note, with some herbs behind that.

Dry: This still feels purple to me. I still feel like some kind of berry juice is involved, although I am getting far less of it than I did before, but for the most part, I’m getting a sweet floral scent backed by some herbs.

After a few hours, the herbs come out more, making the scent almost enter soap territory on me… but not quite. It remains a very purple scent, but it’s drier now.

Verdict: I wasn’t sure what to expect from this one, but I wanted to try it since as part of the Märchen line of scents. It’s not bad, but it’s also not something I’d reach for. It was nice to be able to try it, though!