Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kmasden

Raven Moon

Mournful and Never-ending Remembrance: shining, moonlit ebony musk with benzoin, myrrh, smoky vanilla, patchouli, nutmeg, and dried red chili.

Well, I was hopiing to like this just as much as everyone else, but I guess it's going on the swaps pile. :(

Wet, I got up close to the wand and then jumped back. It was a little spicy, yes, but more than that it was horribly, horribly bitter. To the point where my nose was smarting.

Dry, it came out to solid cloves and cinnamon. I've noticed in the past that my skin tends to really amp cinnamon, and I guess it struck again. Everyone else seems to have all these lovely, complex scents... This was like biting into a cinnamon stick--spicy and a bit bitter.

Here's hoping that it works better on someone else than me!

OMG Swoon. :wub2:

I took a risk on this lunancy especially since I am not really fond of patchouli and with the addition of red chili and nutmeg Raven Moon was giving me serious doubts, except I am a mad lover of the lunancy blends and could not pass this up.

However, this is dark, soulful and extremely intoxicating. I could actually feel the heat of the red chili and nutmeg as soon as I swiped my skin with the oil. The patchouli is the first note to hit my nose, but it lasts mere seconds before smoky resins and sweet vanilla take over. The pacthouli stays in the background, giving the sweetness a little depth and earthy darkness. I think it really helps to temper the potential sweetness Raven moon coul dhave. The musk and the spices seem to blend so seamlessly together with the smoky resins and vanilla.

Absolutely stunning. I am really sad I didn't buy more. I will covet my bottle.

This has quickly become of my Favorites Ever. It's my go-to scent and perfect for any occasion or mood... work, snuggling up on a day off, drinking outside under the November moon with friends, a nice evening out with the Mister. I've worn it almost every day since I've gotten it, and I usually don't wear the same thing 2 days in a row.

The wearlength is perfect. Lasts all day and night. I like strong scents, and I tend to slather. Working in a quiet library, I tend to smell too.. loud. Raven Moon has enough throw for me (without having to slather) yet isn't overpowering.

This has the smokey scent I've encountered in other BPALs, but here it's a delicate waft. Divine.

I adore Raven Moon. One bottle will not be enough... I must learn some self-control!

In the bottle, I can see how someone could draw a likeness to Black Lace. There's something reminescent of the cognac/cologne type scent that I smelled in Black Lace, though the comparison doesn't wash when actually applied.

I can tell this is one of those blends that will turn really stunning when it ages, due to the harshness of patchouli when I first smell my arm. When that adds to this blend? Oh man.

It turns into a milky spiced tea, comforting. I can see why people like it so much. It reminds me of Bakeneko--not the exact scent, but spices. Tea. Comfortingness.

I didn't like either particularly, but it seems that trends don't lie.

I really like this scent, just not on me as it's a little overwhelming. On the husband however, :yum: .

It starts out a really dark musk with a hint of some spiciness. After about an hour or two it turns into a delicious dark vanilla with just a hint of the musk and spice. This is a very nice scent, even if it is a little too masculine for my skin, because it works perfectly on my husband.

In the bottle: Musk, musk, musk, but something glowing like amber also. Reminds me immediatly of Schwarzer Mond.

Wet on skin: Sweet, dark musk, I can also smell spices and the chili adds a piquant that is quite interesting.

Dry on skin: There's a musky warm scent that lingers and it is lovely!

Final thoughts: Oh this is pretty! The red chili adds a kick that isn't present in Schwarzer Mond (at least in the original 2006, since I don't have the latest version). This will quickly become one of my favorite moons!

To try if you like: Schwarzer Mond

Mmmm, oh my. Raven Moon is just... fascinating. Wet, on my skin, it's a dead ringer for Labores Solis & Sol Niger - bitter & herby but with the shadow of something deeper, darker. Left to dry for a bit, the sweetness emerges, as does a lovely effervescent spice - it's ever so slightly masculine, but not so much so that it'd be instant man-fume. I get lots of chili at this stage - hot & spiky. Alas, the black musk muscles to the fore, all powdery & cloying :rasp:

I'll give this another try in a week or two, in hopes that the musk behaves a bit better. The wet stages are so delightfully bitter, spicy, hot & sweet, it'd be a shame if this had to be swapped...

Bottle: Bitter and woodsy with a bit of a cologne edge from the benzoin. Dark, smoky and not at all sweet.

Wet: The benzoin is problematic right off the bat and this starts off with a searing cologne-y edge. I can smell the patchouli underneath and a touch of the vanilla and chili. No nutmeg but maybe a hint of clove.

Dry: This dries down to a perfect dark, deep, woodsy vanilla. It almost reminds me of raw cocoa powder but more complex. The nutmeg and chili are there but they're calm and skin close. This has a bit of a bite but it reveals itself after luring you into that beautiful musk/vanilla/patchouli combo. It's like the evil witch from Hansel and Gretel!

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: This is beautiful. Very sensual and winter appropriate. A little in the Snake Oil family but distinct on its own. Love and will treasure the bottle.

In the bottle, this is strong (probably the cologne-y benzoin) and dark. The patchouli is hanging around hiding in the smoke, too.

On my skin, this warms quickly, with the chili leaping to the fore and the vanilla and patchouli smoke touching everything just enough.

As it dries, it goes a bit powdery (I'm guessing the resins include amber), but the spiciness of the chili and the smokiness both save this one from turning into a powder scent on me. I may need a bottle of this!

In the bottle: Myrrh, wood and hot spices (chilli!)

Wet: Something slightly cologney. Myrrh. A high fine note that has a slight metallic tang.

Dry: Oh... back to myrrh, wood, chilli and vanilla. I want to bury my head in in my wrist and get lost in this scent.

Many hours later: Smoky vanilla with nutmeg and a hint of bite which I suspect is the chilli. DIVINE.

This is an interesting one. It's so Not Me, but I really like it!

It starts off a slightly bitter myrrh (musk?) & chili. It's a touch... metallic? It is shimmery, but in a mournful, heavy way. As it starts to dry the vanilla comes in and, well, sweetens is the wrong word. Lightens? it up. What this reminds me of is a thick fog rolling through the marshes as the morning sun struggles to come up. Eventually the fog starts to lift and you can see a bit of sunlight reflected on the water in an otherwise gray & somber landscape.

I catch whiffs of this from time to time, but it smells best in cool weather. When it does sneak into my nose/brain, I feel grounded & calm. Definitely a keeper.

Decant: Musk

Wet on Me: Musk and Benzoin and flashes of Myrrh

Drying Down: no more flashes of anything. This went to baby powder on me.

Dry: still baby powder. :(

Raven Moon - This was so close to being a great scent that I had to try it several times before I was certain it wasn't going to work for me. With most scents, if there's even the shadow of a doubt, it goes in the swap/sale pile. This decision was much more complex than that. Black musk does not usually work on me, but in this case, it actually behaves itself and provides a really gorgeous base for all of these other lovely notes to play around in. The red chili gives the dark musk more of a red musk-type scent about it and I love the way the red chili and the spicy nutmeg interact in this scent. The vanilla and benzoin sweeten up the scent, but not in a super-sweet way; rather, they give it a sweet creamy-like quality that keeps it from being too earthy. The myrrh adds a nice bit of husky resin to the scent. The problem note in this blend is, sadly, the patchouli. I love patchouli, but it's bringing an arid dryness to this scent that is keeping it from being just perfect on me. The patchouli isn't strong, but it is still the culprit that makes this scent one I have to pass on, which is sad, because I love this other than the patchouli, and normally, I love patchouli. Good thing there are a kajillion other BPALs to love so I don't get to sorrowful over the loss of this one!

Deep, slightly beigish/tan golden oil. Deep, earthy, spicy and a little bitter. Definitely very dark in feel. Less sweet than I expected - I don't get much of the benzoin or vanilla or musk. Patchouli, spices, and myrrh dominate.

Pathouli even stronger - it's the rooty, soily type - or else there is also a dirt note, but I think it's just the mega patchouli of that type. Myrrh a bit more smoky and less simply bitter, nutmeg more distinct, while the red chili is just heat, not a recognisable chili note. This is very dark indeed and rather masculine.

Sweeter - now I get the vanilla and benzoin. Also smokier, and muskier - it is not a musk note I am familiar with, and I find it rather masculine. The patchouli has faded a bit and gone somewhat dusty. The myrrh is really strong and smoky and bitter. Overall this has a very resinous feel. Spices holding as in wet stage.

Sweet in a sickly sort of way - the vanilla/nutmeg/soil combo is making me feel nauseated. The bitter myrrh and smokiness don't help either, and I'm not liking the musk note at all - it reminds me of wet dog, very dank. This is really not my sort of thing at all, and fortunately it has lower throw - but potent longevity.

:ack:

I find this lovely and dark. It reminds me a lot of my beloved Czernobog (that's the black musk and myrrh) but sweeter, and a little sultrier. The patchouli is dirt-earth type, not dirty-hippie type, which kind of takes the place of the vetiver. And the vanilla and nutmeg come out on drydown to lighten it up. I can't really pick out the red chili, but I really enjoy the scent. I might look for more decants, but I'm glad Czernobog is very similar and GC, so I don't have to worry too much.

In the imp I can smell the patchouli, nutmeg and chili. It's a rather crazy scent where the notes aren't too merged together so I keep picking out different ones! This isn't as dark as I expected. It'smaking my mouthwater when I smell it because it's quite sharp. I don't think it's doing anything for me. It needs to mellow out and deepen as well. As it dries it smells bitter and slightly spicy and not something that I tend to wear. Something is creeping out, the musk I think and I'm not keen on it. It's dried down to a spicy musk which, I'm afraid, is not my cup of tea. especially since I've just rubbed it in my eye :blink:

I've been putting off reviewing this because I can't really describe it. But it has to be my favourite BPAL ever. Ok maybe top 3 if it fights against Snake Oil and Mme Moriarty. But still, amazing.

When I first bought this I almost swapped it away, for the first couple of months it smelled of men's cologne on me. I'm so glad I held onto it.

After aging and letting the goodness blend together it smells like... wait for it... The Endless. Yes, this is how I expect them to smell. Dark, sparkling, smooth, unisex.

Its resiny and smooth from the benzoin and vanilla, not foody at all, and also gets a little extra warmth from the pepper. The black musk makes it darker, but not dank or earthy, just deeper.

I have 3 bottles and a decant and am wondering how to make them last forever.

/end crazy fangirl review

In bottle: Definitely a dark, dry scent. The musk, myrrh, and patchouli are the strongest notes I can pick out.

Wet: Musk and myrrh with just a hint of bite from the chili and subtle, sweetness from the vanilla.

Dry: The vanilla warms up more and really blossoms, combing with the musk and patchouli. The other notes fade to supporting roles but are still present in a lovely background blend.

Notes: This is a simply gorgeous lunar blend. It starts out dark and mysterious and ends up as warm and soft as a feather. The vanilla is simply delicious. I'm in love.

***The following message has arrived through a strange lag in the space-time continuum***

I'm not sure if I like this blend. I think the myrrh is what's throwing it off for me. I'm going to age it for a bit and retest.

I bought this bottle when it went up, and wore it a couple of times. Fresh, it felt a little chilly and sleek to me. The ebony musk and vanilla were lovely, but much cooler and more distant than what I usually love in fall-- warm, dark, spicy scents. So I put it away, thinking I'd try it later.

I pulled this out again a few days ago. I've been on a Pickled Imp kick lately, all warm vanilla and yummy spice, but the heat and humidity made that seem a bit too heavy. Remembering that I thought Raven Moon was chilly, I put it on. Firstly, I just have to say that wow. Age has made this absolutely stunning. It goes on cool and smooth as glass, all ebony musk and a slightly haughty vanilla. Then comes the dry down, and this is where age has made this blend shine. The spices come out and blend with the vanilla, making this reminiscent of my beloved spicy blends, but somehow cooler and sleeker. I don't get much patchouli out of this blend at all.

Aging has made this blend stunning, and a winner for me. It feels very sleek to me and has a lot of the spicy elements I love in heavier autumn blends without being too heavy for the humid Northern California summer. It's sweet but somehow just a bit distant and haughty. I love it.

Bottle: Warm and smoky. I love the scent of this, such promise of good things to come.

Wet: It goes on a light patchouli and the smell of really expensive vanilla extract.

Dry: Dark and rich with a whispery feeling that evokes feathers. It has ages to be almost seamless. There is a little snap of the raven's beak if I inhale deeply that must be the chili.

Overall: Swoon!

When I first got into BPAL, I was too overwhelmed by the GC to take into consideration the lunacy that came up when I first entered the community - Raven Moon. I liked the sound of it but was at a point where I didn't know my own tastes enough to buy blindly.

Now that I do, I managed to find someone who would sell me Raven Moon at a great price, and without hesitation bought the whole bottle.

In the bottle, this is brilliant - musk, vanilla, benzoin and resins with spice. On the skin, this is overhwelmingly beautiful. The black musk is the most prominent note but is sweetened by the vanilla and benzoi. The chili gives it a kick.

Edited by voorishsign

This is one that disappointed me when I first got it. I loved it in the bottle, but it turned soapy within seconds of application, to my horror. And it stayed soapy, and didn't morph away from soapiness. Ugh! I was so sad, but couldn't bear to part with it. I decided to hold onto it, and hoped that letting it age a bit would help. Boy, am I glad I did! I pulled it out again last month, and decided to give it another try. I'm so glad I rescued this scent from its exile in my BPAL treasure chest!

I love the balance of spices and resins in this scent. It's dark, exotic, and mysterious, and just freaking gorgeous. The throw seems very balanced, and it's hard to distinguish one note amidst all the others. When I sniff it on my wrists and elbows, I'm picking up that smoky vanilla and myrrh coming out over the other notes. Aaaaahhh! The musk is definitely there, which can be a very good or very bad thing depending on how it interacts with one's chemistry. Fortunately, this works nicely on me, and gives that sultry undertone to the whole scent without turning it into a cesspool of horror.

This perfume was completely under my radar until I saw it on a swap post and got excited. I love Poe and ravens, but the GC "The Raven" didn't work on me.

Raven Moon is resinous, smokey, and thick with benzoin, vanilla and golden patchouli. The chili gives it a nice kick but without being noticeably spicy. Flawlessly blended, it smells like sleek black bird feathers.

This is one of the most perfect lunacy blends; it's right up there with Panther Moon. As a matter of fact, they smell very similar since they both share black musk, benzoin, and warm spices.

Edited by mxtine

It has aged really wonderfully. Dark musks often go very powdery on me and take over a blend but for some reason this blend agrees with my skin chemistry. I can feel the chili in my nose when I sniff it but I can't actually smell the chili. The patchouli, benzoin and vanilla just blend together to make one round, full, sweet, slightly cola like note.