Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Bluebeard

A scent swirling with dark rage, unbridled jealousy, and murderous intent. Violet, lavender, white musk and vetiver.

In the Bottle: Lavender and something salty... like ocean salty. Very piratey. Unfortunately I find it a bit unpleasant, but apt.

On Skin: Sharp lavender. There is still a briney afterscent to it. After a minute, it seems to calm down a bit.

On Drydown: Very faint. It fades fast on my skin.

Verdict: I'm not even going to try this on the boy. I don't know... it just doesn't suit my nose.

But I do find the name very apropos.

In Bottle: Metallic violet.

On Skin: The violet and lavender are strongest. It’s a floral that is truly masculine. The musk and vetiver give it darkess and depth and the lavender gives it sharp twang that seems metallic. This scent does smell evil, very interesting but not something my husband would wear.

Bottle (Imp): Cologne and soap?

Just On: Flowery cologne.

An hour or two later: Whew, this is soap and cologne, and flowers. An odd mix, and it seems to work okay.

Around 6 hours: No, too much soap and such, so it's not for me.

12 hours: It's gone.

Overall: It started fairly nice, but just didn't dry down as well. Ah well, can't love EVERYthing can I?

After reading other reviews: I guess I can see the violence in the scent, and maybe that explains why it was not happy on me.

Bluebeard is very white in the imp. It’s clean and almost citrus-y, but leaning more toward a masculine sort of fragrance as opposed to something feminine and light. There’s a touch of something herbal too. Maybe sage?

It’s a strange cacophony of scents on my wrist. Sadly, I don’t do well with violet at all. It’s turns to home perming solution on my skin. This oil isn’t an exception (though it smells a bit more like cleansing soap instead of hair treatment this time around). It’s all plastic for me with just a bit of warmth from the vetiver peeking through.

It’s extremely wet and aquatic as well, which I wasn’t expecting. It’s nowhere near wearable, though, and thus will have to find another home.

First Impression: A bold, fresh floral.

Dries down to: Violets and lavender. A bright and fresh floral blend - really lovely. Reminds me of LUSH's Daddy-o shampoo.

Additional comments: The vetiver is what's giving this scent the "fresh" note and the white musk just finishes it off perfectly. One of the nicest florals yet. I don't find it at all masculine.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

This is a very different and intriguing scent.

It makes me want to read Robinson Crusoe.

This isn't for a jolly, rapscallion of a pirate. This one is for a dark and nefarious cutthroat.

The smell is a deep watery purple. Surprisingly, it didn't last long on me at all. It came on strong and proud, but petered out with a soft and sinister whisper. A bit chilling, to be honest. The lavender is strongest at first, but the violet makes a brief and subtle appearance. Vetiver is ever present, it's probably what gives this scent its masculine and brutal edge.

All in all, I like this one, and I'm going to keep it around for a shot of something different every once in a while. I sail from time to time, and being the romantic that I am, I think it would be fun to wear this on a sailing trip sometime. Maybe on a stormy day. :P

Wet on me this was soft lavender and very sweet violet, very pretty and lush and not at all what I was expecting from the description. Dry on me this is vetiver, slightly spicy vetiver, but all that is really detectable is vetiver. My skin clearly like vetiver more than I do.

When I first sniff this, it's a punch in the face. The lavender is super strong and medicinal. It reminds me of Somnus, but more...bitter.

Bluebeard is really clean, but very harsh. Definitely not something I could wear.

I tried this the other day, and had to post.

When I first put it on, I smell violet, and something else that I like.

Wet it smells of violets, some musk, and clean.

Drydown: I'm smelling violets, and soapy clean.

After an hour: I'm in LOVE!!!! I smell lilacs, but not old lady lilacs. The scent of sunwarmed flowers. The smell I remember from sitting underneath lilac trees in bloom when I was a child. And a clean, fresh, soapy smell underneath. It doesn't smell manly on me at all.

This might just be my favorite scent, even above Bayou, which I am crazy about. I could bathe in this scent.

Bluebeard smells like nothing but violets on me. Extremely strong violets. The violets were sickeningly sweet and cold for the first two hours that I wore this. Then they became more and more powdery over the next six hours. When I finally got home 8 hours later, I had to wash this off. It was still going strong though.

So... if you're looking for a violet scent with insane staying power... try Bluebeard.

Bluebeard to me is one of the most unique scents from the lab.

I smell the violets and they are strong....almost a woody tone to them....interesting

Then a hint of lavendar with some other light/white florals mixed in.

Nice.

Bluebeard is a keeper for me :P

Bottle: Grass. Vegetables, but with a sharp boozy tinge. This is really hard to identify. This I got mostly for him, but I'll try it, too.

Him:

Wet: Brisk bitter grass. I can only assume this is the violet again. It’s a touch powdery and a little earthy. Mostly it's bitter and green.

Drying: very green--the crushed bitter green of violet. This also has a musky woodsiness to it--vetiver? It’s a good man scent so far, but I just don't like violet, and don't want my boy smelling like it.

Dry: In about 30 min it progresses to crushed green violet covered in baby powder. Decidedly non-manly, and most definitely NOT something I dig (being a violet skeptic). The powder dies down a bit later, and it goes back to being very vegetable-like with a mild powder. It's also fading fast by 1.5 hours.

Overall, Him: Not a scent for MY man. Yup, though I keep trying, I just am not keen on violet blends yet.

Her:

Wet: Once again, green bitter grassy violets. But this is tempered by something almost creamy.

Drying: Well, the redeeming creaminess is definitely gone. Cold bitter violet with something salty and animalistic--is that vetiver and musk dueling it out? I have no idea.

Dry: This seems salty to me (could be the name influencing me). Actually, this kinda smells like Chinese soup--like salty green seaweed--veggies and salt. Very, very weird. Too bizarre to describe aptly. At about an hour, the soup is gone (thank god), and its back to crushed bitter greens with something peppery (peppery like lavender leaves). And getting more powdery.

Overall: Okay, I confess. This is not bad on me after the soup phase ends. It's just VERY green florals with a touch of salt. It's pretty and fresh. Flowers on the side of a sea-facing cliff? I just really don't like violets, so I'm biased--I think they're bitter and cold. I also really don’t see this being a man scent (it wasn't manly on me or hubby). Glad we tried it. Ready to swap it.

at first: a masculine floral.

on: this is an angry scent. the lavender (which i usually like) and vertiver (which i usually don't) are so disturbingly strong. this really isn't looking good.

1 hour later: this is reminding me of numb a little bit. there's a lovely violet / musk / lavender combo floating around me. i can only smell the vertiver if i sniff my wrist directly.

2 hours later: still very numb-like.

overall: this might be a good replacement for numb when and if i run out of it.

In the bottle: Ow! Something about this scent literally scares me. I have to work up a little courage to put it on, actually.

Applied: there is still something so scary about this smell. There’s a scent that I can only describe as “noxious weed.” I’m not going to be able to keep this on. I can see where this would be herbally/lavendery in a kind of men’s cologne way, but there is something really poisonous-smelling in here. And a little bit of pool water.

Honestly, I have never been so weirded out by a scent before. Off it goes.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 1.

In the bottle and wet on my skin this was VERY strong and (I hate to say it) very stinky. It's sat in my imp box for a long time because I haven't had the guts to try it.

It's strong and elegant and ANGRY! As it's drying, I get more elegance and the anger is hiding. It's there, but more subtle.

I really really don't like this at all.

In the bottle, it has a sharp, unpleasant smell. But masculine - very masculine.

Wet: Lavender.

Dry: Hey, this is kind of nice. The vetiver gives it a little spiciness. Kind of a soft, businesslike scent. Still very, very masculine - obviously, it won't do for me. Might smell nice on the hubby, though. :P

First review here so remember forgiveness ..... :P

I tried a wonderful oil titled "BlueBeard" this last weekend when we went out and was really amazed! I'm not much at breaking down scents into good descriptions, but it went on with pleasant type of a scent, one that any man could comfortably wear; no fruits or spicy type smell (which by the way I enjoy both but some men would shy away from). It mellowed down after about a half hour to a very nice surprise. It transformed nicely into what I can only describe as an very expensive smelling cologne. One that would be very expensive and sold in only the best stores. Then to my surprise the next morning when I awoke I could still smell it on myself faintly but still richly so the oil has a really good lasting property to it and mixed well with my normal to partially dry skin.

Not knowing how to use the products (I'm just entering the world of BP) and too proud to ask advise (I'm a guy) I used the very small applicator so as not to get too much on, and I must have done it right. Hence, it's very easy for beginning males to use.

I highly recommend this scent as it is pure and has a clean fresh but rich scent and has very good lasting properties. Since the amount I actually put on is so very small the little bottle called an "Imp" should last for a very long time. From a man's point of view, this was a very pleasant experience with a scent that a man can comfortably wear going out or going to work and I commend the creator of the mix. I will be wearing it again.

Blessings .....

The Mate (The Wolfpup)

Edited by The Mate

Imp

Lavender is the first note to press forward and it is followed by a soft floral spice blend.

Wet

Lavender! Lavender! Lavender! I can pick up the musk very slightly on the afternotes.

Dry

The lavender persists followed by the musk. As much as the notes sound feminine to me, the blend is masculine. Quite lovely, in a very manly way!

Right from the start, I suspected that Bluebeard was not going to work with my skin chemistry. It was a very faint scent before application, and it faded into a clean, soapy smell shortly after hitting my skin.

In the imp it's very herbal and clean-smelling, and it reminds me of men's cologne in a sort of generic way. Hmm.

On me I think I can identify the violet, or whatever it is, it's really strong in Numb and gives it that fresh n' clean smell. That's what it's doing to this one, only it's strange. It's like Numb sprinkled over a garden of some herbs. I don't know how to describe it, because it's complex but my chemistry is doing wacky things with it and I simply am not liking a single phase it's gone through. I am not enamoured of this one, I'm afraid.

I used it on myself only. It's actually quite a calming scent I'd totally use in a bath. And probably the only masculine scent that didn't end up smelling soapy on me.

I really wish I knew what "vertiver" was.

In the bottle: First thing's first; it's is hard to open those imp bottles without spilling everywhere. I actually got a bit on my laptop, not to mention all over my hands. Anyway, in the bottle it smells very... manly. But flowery. O___o Huh.

On my skin: Wet, it's very musky. I can't really even smell anything else underneath it. Dry, I start smelling the violet much more. After a few minutes the strong musk smell fades almost completely and it's mostly just violet with a bit of lavender underneath. But it's also a little powdery/soapy smelling.

Final Thoughts: I wasn't wild about it when I opened the bottle and sniffed, but after letting it dry for a little while I like it a lot more than I expected to. It's not overpowering, masculine smell, but there are the underlying florals that give it a bit of femininity. Not entirely one for me though. It feels... heavy.

In the imp and wet on my skin white musk, violet, a hint of lavender with a very strong last note of vetiver.

Bluebeard seems to almost get stronger as it dries down. I am almost reminded of driftwood when I smell this because of the vetiver and how it is mixing with the other notes. I can catch a wiff of violet,but this is turning all Lavender and vetiver on me.

Bluebeard is much better when it is completely dried down. It does remind me of driftwood and the coolness of the seashore. I swear this has a salty breeze in there somewhere! This is a very cooling scent, in fact my arm feels almost colder where I applied it. Good throw and great wear. I think it maybe better on a man but it's pretty good on me.

O_o

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this, this was one of the first imps I ever received. Hmm, probably because my husband has been hiding it in his ever growing collection.

In the bottle: Fresh and green smelling, the lavender is seeming dominant.

First on: Mmm, a light musk, lavender (but more refined).

After a bit: Lavender is in the forefront still, with a light vetiver tinged musk in the background. I'm not getting the violet here, but I think it's helping tone the lavender down.

After a bit more: This is slightly sweet (herbal sweetness), very fresh and clean smelling with almost a slighty woodyness to it.

I need to get him to wear this more. It's an excellent warmer season scent for men.

I received this scent as a frimp from the lab :P

I am kind of afraid to try this because I think pirate=stinky, but I've decided to give it a whirl.

In the vial: lavender and violets, but another deep, decidedly masculine note.

Wet: lavender, salt and the mysterious manly note.

Dry: too masculine for me, but I think this is a wonderful manly scent. I will give it to DH to try.