Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Wildfire

A traditional blend of woods used in Celtic pyromantic divinatory practices, updated and contemporized with the addition of a fae blend of orris essence, dragon's blood, juniper berry, and red rose.

First Impression: Sharp, soapy and strong.

Second Impression: It's all sharp, soapy juniper berry and orris on me and it's not changed in over an hour. I used a tiny dab and it's quite strong with real staying power.

Final Analysis: I'm gutted that the dragon's blood, red rose and woods did not develop on my skin. I'm going to give a couple more hours and see what changes it makes and then I'll update the review.

This is amazing!! Not at all what I expected from the name and I'm SO GLAD I got it!

Beautiful and subtle on the skin, I don't get knocked over with juniper or dragon's blood at all, but with a light scent of fresh greenery and the ever-so-slight hint of roses.

Just gorgeous!

This goes on with a tangy bite. Sort of reminds me of Tintagel, but a rose version of Tintagel. It is very unique and definitely a "trademark" BPAL scent. I'm not a huge rose lover, but I do like it occasionally blended with certain other notes. This seems to be one that works for me. I like the tang when first applied. I've had it on for about an hour now and the drydown is making the tang soften a bit. The rose is very much in the background just sort of floating under the juniper berry which is most prominent on me. The dragon's blood adds it's depth and sweet fruitiness (for those of you that are familiar with this resin) and the orris blends ever so softly with the backdrop of the rose. Right now, this seems like it will be a pretty long lasting scent, but we'll see. I do like this a lot mostly for its uniqueness. You couldn't touch anything like this by any other company. That's what I love about BPAL.

FIAAAAAAAAAAAH! I like saying that.

First sniff

Berry juniper soap. I know that seems like an odd first sniff but that is the best description I can give. A very clean smelling, a very berry juniper scent.

When wet

Yay Juniper! My body adores juniper (and I adore it on my body) and Wildfire literally *sings* with the scent. There's also a light undercurrant of the rose and none of the soapy feeling I got before. The Dragon's Blood gives it a bit of tang as well.

Drydown

GAH! THIS IS FLIPPING MARVELOUS! The rose had come out to play but currently it's being bitchslapped around by the one two combo of Dragon's Blood & Juniper. Oh this is lovely.

Aftermath

Wildfire reminds me of a more red version of Blue Moon. The Juniper + Dragon's Blood combo really makes this a winner. I'm glad I decided to stick through it past the inital soapy stage! It's a definite keeper.

I couldn't break out the scents into individual notes. I reapplied this after Mabon had dried down...I'd put one on each arm and Mabon completely overwhelmed the softer Wildfire.

The impression I got was standing in a field of golden brown grasses and wildflowers in the late afternoon at the end of summer. The grass and wild flowers are almost burnt from the heat of the sun. The scent is a soft smokey scent...but not like heavy smoke from a flame...and not the bitter burnt smell of smoldering ashes either.

I love this scent!

I was completely surprised that this was as soft as it was, but still has some staying power to it. A lovely blend of Juniper and rose being prominent and an undercurrent of dragon's blood warming this up. Wildfire this may be, but it's definitly fae, elusive and flickering through darkened trees. This ends up a warm, scent with a floral overtone. Unfortuantely, since it usually takes something with kick to stay on me anyway, this one isn't lasting so well. I will likely swap it off to someone who must have it.

At first application I got the soapiness that some were describing. I could also smell the Juniper in the background. After letting the scent develop I ended up with a lovely smoky rose. It's a delicate smell on me and almost smells golden if that makes any sense. I'm really glad I got this one!

This is my second fav from all the LE, king of spades being #1. I love the way this scent smells so EXPENSIVE, like a really beautiful, totally rediculously priced scent. I am so happy I got to order some, I would have missed out on something really beautiful.

I dont get that sharpness at all from it. It smells rich and clean at the same time. Even though it is smokey, it smells divine, and I will cherish every last drop of it. :P :D

I am dissapointed, sad actually, by my reaction to this blend. I set my expectations so high. It's a let down when they don't react well with my chemistry.

Please don't get me wrong, Wildfire is a lovely blend. On my skin it smells ok, but nothing exceptional,

It has to be my chemistry.

I'll be a swappin' this one.

RHM

Wildfire didn't really work on me. In the bottle and wet on my skin, it was a perfect blend of spicy dragon's blood and the smoke from burning leaves, gorgeous. But after only five minutes it started to become totally floral, with the orris (isn't that violet?) dominating. I never got any rose or juniper. I really loved the wet stage, wish it had stayed that way :P

Mabon was a bit of a disappointment for me, so I am SO HAPPY that this works :P

On first application it's sweet, almost honeyish (that'll be the dragon's blood), but the drydown turns into a lovely mixture of subtle woods with a bloom of roses, and some other notes I'm not familiar with. It's lighter in mood and more flowery than I expected. I'm not usually a huge floral fan, but this is so well blended that I'm not bothered by those components at all - in fact, I'm really enjoying the roses here. A masterful creation, IMO.

wildfire

at first: i can't really pick anything out. it's strong and heavy, with a bit of sweetness.

on: smells like some kind of liquor, a sweet, brown liquor. there's a hint of a smoke or something, too.

1.5 hours later: a little sweeter, but dry. hmmm...this kind of smells like crumbly sugar cookies right now. how odd.

overall: this lasted really well. it's definitely an interesting blend. i wish i would have gotten a bottle because i bet this would be a fantastic room scent.

When I think of this oil I think red .. cherry/cinnamon red, and spicy. That's not entirely what I get from the bottle though. It's more of a muted color, a burnt browny-red, with something almost sour in it. It's very strange, not at all what I expected. But then, I've found the ones I get all wrong are often incredibly lovely.

Wet, this doesn't seem to release the dragon's blood like Red Moon does. What I do smell is rather green, with a hint of rose starting to come out after a moment or three. If the rose goes too strong though, this is going to be somewhat disappointing.

It does stay a little rosey, but it doesn't seem to be overwhelmingly so as it dries into my skin. For something named red moon, this goes rather green herbal, in fact, with just a slight overtone of rose. The dragon's blood never really came out to play on me, so I might try layering this with dragon's blood itself .. or one of the 'dragon' blends.

Initial Impression:

Lovely wood base that smells sweet and robust around the edges. Very round.

After Wearing It:

I smell a lot of dragon's blood in this blend. It's not as sweet or as berryish as it smells in other oils, but rather a burnt red variety. It's warm and rusty core to a very outdoorsy blend. There's smoke and fire here, but it's gentle, subtle. The scent of a bonfire fueled by autumn leaves burning upwind caught on the air.

The scent overall reminds me of what I'd think the personification of memory would smell like. It's tone is dusty and distant, but it keeps pulling up a whisper of something else familiar from its depths. Wildfire is passingly sweet, blazing hot at times, sometimes rustic and sentimental... It flickers constantly yet it doesn't seem to change much. It's paradoxical in nature.

Final Thoughts:

This is a really interesting scent, but I'm not sure it's really me as a perfume. I enjoyed it though, so I will try to find a better use for it.

Wildfire

This is one review where I checked the other reviews before writing it. Usually, I avoid reading the reviews while writing mine, but I was so confused by what I was smelling, I had to check what other people wrote. This made me even sadder and more confused.

Preconceived notions: Sacred woods? Pyromancy? Sounds wonderful, especially since dragon’s blood and juniper are two of my favorite notes.

In the bottle: That’s a lot sweeter and more floral than I was expecting. But it smells nice, and I am getting the spicier, woodier notes if I really look for them.

Then - Gah. I don’t think I like reducer caps. I got a lot all over me, and some onto my keyboard.

On me:

First whiff: Very sweet. In fact, this is an insidious sweetness, swirling around me. It’s an insidious, almost sickly floral sweetness. Where are my woods? Where is my fire? Not only that, the ‘floral’ is of the white variety, definitely not rose. Where’s the rose? Where’s my beloved dragon’s blood and juniper?

Over time: It completely fades in less than an hour.

Final impressions: I get soft, sweet, soapy white flowers. I’m not really a floral person. I want my dragon’s blood, juniper, and woods. I’m going to try this again, but so far, I’m just really jealous of all of you who got juniper, and especially shriekingviolet who got the wonderful burnt red variety of dragon's blood.

I just got this in a swap and I AM IN LOOVE! :P

I am not good on describing the different scents I get in this but here goes.

First on - very super light floral. No powdery scent, no woody scent, no smoke, no juniper(which I do not like on me), no roses either. Kind of non-decript. Take it or leave it.

After a few hours - OMG!! An almost wintery, musky, rich scent. Very much a velvet or sweater wearing fragrance for me. It reminds me of an expensive perfume that I like from the department store but so much better.

I NEED A BIIIIG BOTTLE!!! :D

Got this in a swap - my first LE!!!

Wet: ...mole? Spicy chicken mole, I kid you not. Maybe a hint of sweetness to it...not sure what it is; my nose is still rather untrained. Morphing fast, though; mole is disappearing, fading into...rose. Tea rose, to boot. Baahh...where are the woods?

Drydown: It*s turned all floraly on me, with maybe a sweetish note in there - is that what dragon*s blood smells like? Spring field - or maybe even spring-scented air freshener - but not wildfire on me. :P My body chemistry HATES me.

Update later after a few hours...

Edited by NoirRosaleen

The name makes me expect something smoky, but the description says this'll be completely different. Cool.

In bottle: Sharp. Smells like man - let me re-phrase that. It's a very masculine scent. Harm, just got a hint of juniper there. That would be very sexy on someone, but I'm thinking it isn't for me. Well, here goes...

On me: Smells like wood to me. I know how useless that is, but let me think how to put it better. Hmmm...bark. That's what I'm thinking of. If you walk into a forest and then walk up to a tree and bury your ose in its side, you meet Wildflire in the bark. I think I catch hints of flowers, but they're so faint. Like the scent's been carried by a breeze from some other place.

My beloved. :P

Sometimes Wildfire reminds me of Othello, my, uh, OTHER beloved. (Ooops.) That would be the rose, but it's a dark, sexy, heady rose, not the lighter greener rose of many of the other rose blends. Sometimes Wildfire reminds me of Red Moon -- that's the dragon's blood. Mostly it is just gorgeous. It's sweeter than Othello, thanks to the dragon's blood; red and round and with a nice kick underneath.

As usual, I'm pretty lousy at description, but I had to put my 2 cents in for the OH MY GOD GET THIS crowd. :D

Edited by spark

in the vial: Something strong and foresty with a dusty red background.

on my skin: Dragon's blood (:P)...only this isn't the juicy, seductive dragon's blood I'm used to...it's dry, very dry. It's powdery, but not the icky baby powder kind of powdery, it's a comforting kind of powdery. It has a dusty, slightly candy-like quality. It's definitely not overly sweet, but the dragon's blood gives it a faint cherry note. It has a lovely, spicy kick underneath. Yummy. I like this blend a lot. I actually got a couple compliments on it today (woohoo!).

Whoa. I just read that someone said it smelled like mole. That it does. :D I'm hungry now.

Wildfire was another yummy addition to the swap that Tygher gave me!

In the Bottle: Dragon's blood and a faint floral scent that I'm having trouble placing. Is it a rose? White is the only way that I can describe the floral, with the dragon's blood sweetening it tremendously.

On Me: Wow. At first this reminded me a lot of Chantily Lace, a purfume that my grandmother used to wear a lot. I can still smell that purfume when my nose is away from my wrist, but at my wrist, the scent is alot cleaner. There's a green root smell that I can only equate with stems and leaves, as well as the faint hint of dragon's blood mixed among the florals.

The only problem that I have with this purfume is that it has already begun to fade, but I don't mind reapplying. I'm gonna slather now, cause I really like this one!

Wildfire

Another one that I would not have ordered on my own (due to the dreaded rose note), but that Silver Angel let me try. :P

Initial Impression

Oh wow. This does smell lovely in the bottle, doesn't it? There's this really rich scent of wood (and I don't mean the polished wood scent in Dragon's Heart, nor the soft wood scent of sandalwood, nor even the old pine scent of Jabberwocky -- this is the wood scent of chopped firewood, right before you light a fire) and also a lovely sweet rose. There must be something else in here that's lending the wood notes their earthy quality. Anyhow, it smells delightful.

Wearing It

Pure rose, just as I expected. It's a very rich rose, though. Not wispy, not overpowering...just a lovely warm, earthy rose.

First sniff:

Dragon's blood. Very strong dragon's blood. I don't know what else is in this (I don't have the description in front of me) because all I can smell is that beautiful resin right out of the vial. :P

Wet on skin:

Still almost pure dragon's blood. It's resiny and vaguely spicy and thankfully there's none of that dreaded rose scent coming out to play. I expected this to be more woodsy smelling, but it's very resiny and spicy instead. This is really beautiful.

Dry down:

Pretty much the same as it was wet. There wasn't really a change from the initial bottle stage on this one. Even dry it's almost pure dragon's blood with a hint of spice. There's no florals to be found, which is fine by me because I don't care for floral scents and the woodsy notes that I was anticipating seem to be completely absent, which is somewhat of a disappointment, but more than made up for by the beautiful resin smell.

The bottom line:

Lovely. I love dragon's blood as long as it doesn't turn into cherries on me and Wildfire passed that test with flying colors. I expected this particular scent to be more complex, but I love it just the way it is. :D

I got a decant of this from my loverly Austin folks when we met for coffee and OMG I love it!!!! :P

I WISH that Beth would bring this back so that I could buy some!!!! I'm learning more about scents and I KNOW that I LOVE Dragon's Blood... on me... wet... this smells like a sweeter version of Chimera... spicy and sharp... but sexy and fresh...

when it dries the spices settle a bit and its sweetness really comes out (rose I'm assuming)... 6 hours after putting this on its very subtle but quite nice... like cinnamon sticks that were soaked in amber...

I will only wear this for special occasions since I have so little of it... but WOW!!! this one MUST come back!!!!! :D