Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quimerula

"You can't afford me" scents?

So far, we've discussed sexy, seductive and smutty scents, but this is about our inner bitch.

I've bought a mainstream perfume because of it's cold in a classy way, detached, "cleary better than you" and expensive feeling. It's about power. It's about "yes, but not with you". Not cold in a Ice Queen way, but rather in a Queen B way. Sexy but absolutely not affordable.

Then I got tired and I reached for a BPAL scent to fill the spot...

What would your "I'm clearly too much for you" scent be?

You'd probably want to be reaching more for the florals and light musks because they're more traditional and sort of give that classic "if it ain't broke why fix it" aura. Besides which most of the truly top line perfumes (Joy, Creed, etc...) are floral musks.

So some suggestions:

Twilight Ars Moriendi Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle.

This is my go to scent for when I want to smell professional and unattainable. The drydown reminds me a lot of Joy despite the lack of rose.

Wicked Diabolus rich myrrh and jasmine draped in the subtlest rose.

A lot of classic women's perfume ingredients. It's a very elegant scent but not warm and cosy. Definitely an edge there. If you can't do jasmine, Pride from Sin and Salvation (rose and narcissus) might also work.

Lilith Excolo Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose.

This is the sort of scent you'd wear if you were an assassin. Very exotic and unusual but also sort of classic in a way.

The Obsidian Widow Steamworks Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

This one reminds me a lot of Lilith but is a little drier and more reserved. Like a grown up Lilith.

Morgause Bewitching Brews five night-blooming flowers deepened by dusky violet, purple fruits and the barest breath of medieval incenses.

Despite the incense note this is just downright haughty.

Veil Bewitching Brews White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

This is a beautiful blend. It's a soft, slightly powdery icy blue sort of scent. It smells expensive.

Edited by paperrose

Try The Raven - classy violet

Alternatively you could try something with a bit of a herbal edge to it, like Villain - the more masculine scents often smell quite "powerful" on a woman because it's a bit unexpected.

The scent I've tried that says upper class to me is Manhattan. I like it, but it's a bit too cold and upper class to be me. I have a sister-in-law (married to the richest man in our family) that I think it would suit to a tee. It felt/smelled like what you are describing, but it all depends on your skin chemistry.

Kindly Moon.

Crystalline, ethereal, yet very regal and sophisticated. I’ve yet to find another BPAL blend like it. :heart:

I swear its not the names that influenced me - but Pride and Privilege would fit this - more than a little haughty ;)

I've definitely gotten that "sophisticated rich bitch" vibe from a few. I find opium especially gives an expensive perfume edge to a scent, so much so that I run screaming from every blend that has it. :lol:

Epoque: Sweet opium, Lily of the Valley, vanilla, mandarin and red sandalwood.

Languor: Paperwhite and black narcissus, three lilies, black poppy and tuberose and a hint of hypnotic opium den haze.

Hell's Belle: Oleander with wet, sweet mandarin, lush magnolia, a rush of deep musk and a touch of spice.

And as for LE's, I thought Lady Lilith and Crow Moon smelled incredibly high-end and expensive.

Jacob's Ladder smells expensive and privileged to me (woman in her European convertible driving to the marina). Ecstasy of St. Theresa smells opulent but approachable (woman in designer clothes who volunteers at the church carnival).

I'm trying to enable a friend of mine, but so far she only likes the commercial perfume samples I've given her... She likes them because they smell like a "rich lady." (Guess Gold and Vera Wang Princess) I don't think she'd like sexy/haughty scents, but more upscale and fancy ones. Any recommendations would be appreciated! :D

I'm trying to enable a friend of mine, but so far she only likes the commercial perfume samples I've given her... She likes them because they smell like a "rich lady." (Guess Gold and Vera Wang Princess) I don't think she'd like sexy/haughty scents, but more upscale and fancy ones. Any recommendations would be appreciated! :D

Follow me Boy kinda smells like a rich lady. I mean the prostitutes did use it after all ;)

Morocco always seems to work too for enabling. I would check

out Poisioned Apple as well.

From the male point of view, There's A Certain Slant Of Light gives me that vibe: "Thin, tinny ozone with frankincense, white sandalwood, white amber, hyssop, bitter violet leaf, and shadowy wisps of smoke".

I get this vibe a lot with the Salon/Retail scents than I do with anything in the LE/GC catalog. I think because these are meant to really be perfumes. These are the scents I would gift to people who are used to upscale juice.

Madonna: Hyssop, pomegranate, Angel’s Trumpet, Indonesian patchouli, iris, white orchid, and frankincense.

Dark Delicacies: devil's trumpet accord, black orchid, tonka, coconut meat, fruit gums, osmanthus, smoky resin, myrtle, and Indonesian patchouli.

I find these two smell very much alike at first--it might be the devil/angel's trumpet, which is a very striking and darkly aggressive floral. They're both supported by an herbal and elegant patchouli, and rounded out by other things that smell extremely expensive. Madonna has a very gentle and refined finish in comparison to Dark Delicacies, which remains a power scent through and through.

SCHLAFENDE BAIGNEUSE -- NO I can't spell this. =/: Skin musk, white cream, honeycomb, yellow rose, King mandarin, chrysanthemum, golden amber, honeysuckle, and wide-throated yellow monkey-flower accord.

Sweet and gentle and soft, and really pretty--but expensive. The one that has and always will be outta your league.

Judith and Holofernes: Skin musk, honey, carnation, French magnolia, patchouli, sandalwood, and immortelle.

A few words to really describe this scent is "collected," or "balanced," maybe. Very self-assured, feminine, with a subtle grounding provided by the patchouli and sandalwood that never approaches intrusive. I'd gift this to someone I admired.