Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SpinalDesign

Queen of Spades

A contemporary incarnation of the tarot's Queen of Swords. A card of decisive action, strength of Will, progressive action, justice, and, sometimes, revenge. The scent is a sophisticated, deep, and smoky floral with a decidedly exotic spice. Moroccan myrrh and black amber, with muguet, opoponax, deep black plum, cyclamen, galbanum, and wild blackberry softened by pear blossom and a swirl of exotic wood notes.

In the bottle: A very deep pulm,mix berry, scent. Almost like a sweet'n cough syrup. It smell sweet,strong, and very thick.

Out of the bottle:It comes out as a liquid soft red color. It's a strong candy sweet smell of cherry. Like a old fashion lollypop with black berry chunks left inside. It smells so good you want to lick your self hehe.

Dry down: It a strong scent but still very playful. It reminds me of a darker version of jester. But it has a flower scent to it as well like a scent of pele with a hint of candy cherry, rinch plum and a hint of "sin". The smell is sooo wonderful !!

For my last thought: The more it drys the more the smell changes but the scent is very thick so you wont have to put much on to be able to smell your self!! It's a wonderful smell very sexy and very sinfully sweet. I'm going out right now I will see how people are drawn to it and will finsh up my review!!

Initial Impression

Dark. Darker than King of Spades, in any case. It's got... Well, the sweet pear blossom, I think, is popping out at me on the top of this mix, and the plum and blackberry are all adding a definite fruity-ness to this blend... But the notes that really make a background for this are dark, dark, dark... It's like this deep amber, and myrhh (why can I never spell that right the first time?) and slightly spicy resiny smell. Very serious smelling for a fruity blend.

Wearing It

Okay, this darkens up a ton on my skin! The oil is pretty thick (reminiscent of the viscosity of Scherezade), and stains my skin ever so slightly... And suddenly it's all wood and myrhh, with the slightest undercurrents of fruit. Honestly, the most prominent sweet note I can smell is the pear blossom (is it just me, or do all of the fruit blossoms have a very similar smell to them?)...and even that's very faint against the woods and myrhh.

Now, as a disclaimer, I know that my skin eats up amber and blackberry, and no matter how much I apply of either they just seem to disappear. So I suspect that this blend isn't smelling quite like it's supposed to on me. But what I'm getting is similar to Intrique and Blue Moon, except that instead of the gritty foodyness of Intrique, we've got smoother wood notes (not at all the heavy wood notes of Dragon's Heart) and instead of the light floral feeling of Blue Moon, it's got the charged mystical feeling and the slightly sweet/fruityness all swirled through darkness.

Yes, I agree it is MUCH darker than the King of Spades and reminiscent to me of Blood. That spiciness is there, as well as the cherry, but not quite as sweet as Blood. A more exotic scent than the King. King has more high notes and is more fruity/fresh. Queen is darker and is more spicy.

Queen of Spades is really different from what I thought :P

First sniff

Very dark and rich floral and the blackberry completely and utterly stands out for me. It smells black

When wet

Oh this is juicy juicyjuicy!

Drydown

Mmm the amber and myrrh are coming out now and it's more subued and rich. The plum is hanging on as well. It smells a bit like Lughnasadh 's drydown on me but much more heady. The plum is very strong now and overall I get a very commanding feeling from it.

Aftermath

Well I like it. I'm not sure if its a MUST for me as the berry is a bit overwhelming and I'm not sure I'm completely digging the plum but I'm gonna continue with it. It's really different from what I was expecting though!

Queen of Spades is spicy in a very upper class sort of way. It is fit for a queen. :P I smell the blackberry, Myrrh and plum well on my skin. This is another wise LE choice. Im glad I have this one. :D

I knew I'd like this, as I'm a huge fan of deep fruity florals and this does not disappoint. Amber wears very well on me, as do fruits, especially berries. This went on smelling like a deep berry, slight floral blend. I can't really pull out any particular notes. I didn't think it was quite as strong as others do. I tend to like the stronger scents though. I actually thought this was well blended and fairly light wearing on me. Every time I sniffed my arm, I smelled a "fuzzy plum or blackberry" if there were such a thing. To explain better, it smelled more like a ripe fresh piece of fruit versus a fruity syrup. I did not think it was sweet, but rather tart. The amber and myrrh just gave this depth were so well blended that I couldn't pick them out. I don't think they were very prominent in the scent. Sometimes myrrh leaves a funny drydown on me -- kinda like a burnt smell and this blend didn't do this at all. I thought this was a very uplifting scent. I loved the way the fruit smelled so fresh, like a bursting blackberry and plum. mmmmmmm. I'll wear this often.

In the bottle: This is fruity and cherry smelling and potent.

ON skin: At first I wasn’t sure about this one as it smelled mostly of bubble gum.

Drying: It has dried down for about 5 minutes I am loving it. Its feminine and berryish, but not too sweet. Im not the one to usually like berry;s but this has a darkness behind it, the woodiness I guess that is grounding the scent. Its gorgeous. my only complaint is that isnt that strong. I have to slather and then it still seems very light and close to teh skin. I will enjoy this bottle though that is for sure. :P

2 hours later. Mostly gone. :D

What the hell?! I adore how this smells in the bottle...rich berry-ish, but on me it goes all wonky and smells like cologne with an underscore of clove....the clove being good, but not the cologne-y part. Poo! Stay the same in the bottle as on me darnit! :P

Queen of Spades is regal, commanding, dark, and exotic. On my skin, I detect dark berries, woodsmoke and mahogany, the myrhh, and the flurry of sweet florals. I also can smell cloves, as mentioned by an earlier reviewer.

This is a thick and heady scent, and a little bit goes a long way. I put on a couple of drops four hours ago and my skin is still amplifying it like incense. It’s reminiscent to me of The Red Queen in that it is also a blend of berries and woods. But whereas The Red Queen is strictly a room scent for me, Queen of Spades is very wearable, very sexy.

It makes a great autumn scent and will be one of the ones I turn to now that the temperature is dropping at night and I’m starting to pull out my sweaters. This is how I want my winter jacket to smell.

This was wonderfull smelling in the bottle but rather, how should I say, "so, so" when wearing it.

The Queen of Spades was "sharp" smelling upon initial application. She then mellowed into a light, gender neutral "daytime" scent.

The cyclamen & pear blossom were the most prominent, then after twenty minutes or so, the berries announced their presence. Finally the myrrh & amber smoothed everything out.

It's nice on me but there are other blends I prefer over this one.

RHM

La Dame des Piques/Пиковая Дама/Queen of Spades

Preconceived notions: Queen of Spades, oh favorite of my cards! Mysterious evil old woman of Pushkin’s mind! And those notes: " Moroccan myrrh and black amber, with muguet, opoponax, deep black plum, cyclamen, galbanum, and wild blackberry softened by pear blossom and a swirl of exotic wood notes." I like ALL of them (well the ones I recognize, anyway)...

The bottle: Oh, look at the card! It has a ‘D’ for Dame - that’s a French Queen of Spades! I’m excited already!

In the bottle: a heady mélange of pine, and, -wait, no, that’s mistletoe! Or at least it smells just like the mistletoe oil I have, and it’s blended with so many wonderful things! I’m getting white flowers, rain, dewdrops, vanilla, and – oh, this is just elegant, sacred, and woody. I’m in bliss. I could just sit here and stick my nose in it all day and be perfectly happy. This is a mysterious, elegant, sensual, and intoxicating blend. I can’t wait to try it on.

On me: The vanilla peeks out into the mix a little more than in the opening whiff, but this remains as wonderful as it was in the bottle. I don’t think I’ve ever smelled this good in my life. Heck, I don’t think I’ve ever smelled anything this good in my life. I keep having to resist reapplying, since I only have one bottle. Dear me, I want, no I need a lifetime supply! Help, please!

Over time: This wafts, and it smells wonderfully over a long period of time, gradually fading into a slight powdery smell, still reminiscent of the earlier glory.

Final Impressions:

Absolutely Amazing. So far, nothing beats it, though the King of Spades has that same lovely mistletoe thing going on, so he might give her a run for the money. But oh, this is so me! I just have to be careful not to use it all up in one day.

My review is exactly what hypothermya said. She phrased it pefectly for me. I also get Witch's Dagger's mistletoe note, though. This is so good I can't stand it. I'm SO glad I have a 5ml of this...:D

...But will a 5ml be enough?:P

Where the King is a lighter scent the Queen is darker and more sophisticated. It starts off very fruity on me but the wood notes seem to tone it down. It's a long lasting scent on me that only gets slightly powdery after many hours of wear. Finally it turns into a really lovely fruity/resiny/floral that I'm just in olfactory heaven with.

Well, then... I'm not really sure what to think of Queen of Spades.

It's very dark and fruity in the bottle, almost wine-like in its complexity. I smell the berries and the amber and wood, but it all blends together so well that it's difficult to pin down what else I'm smelling.

On me, for the first hour, it's pure berry bubble gum. Then the amber comes up and gets floral powdery, and the woods keep it grounded behind the amber.

It's a very intense, complex scent on me, but to the rest of the world, I smell like powder + bubblegum.

I recieved my bottle yesterday just in time to wear it to the Phil Collins concert, which was unbelivable!

In the Bottle: Dark woods, dark plum, dark civet...dark. Simply gorgeous, majestic, and mysterious. I was enthralled with it, as I love the darker scents much more than anything else.

On Me: It was almost cherry smelling with a hint of grapefruit. I was in love. So was my husband. It stayed dark and brooding on me up until 4 hours in, when it turned a cherry smelling baby powder on me.

I am so totally in love with this scent! I wish that I had bought more of it.

My second LE that I’ve tried and another that makes it into my top 3. Somehow I get a similar undercurrent that I get from Fae (although it doesn’t look like they have any of the same notes), although it is not as fruity and sweet as Fae. It is darker and sexier and spicy. There is a hint of sweetness and fruitiness, but mostly I get spicy clove. It is a great autumn scent. I am totally loving it. I just want to smell my wrists all day.

My second LE that I’ve tried and another that makes it into my top 3.  Somehow I get a similar undercurrent that I get from Fae (although it doesn’t look like they have any of the same notes), although it is not as fruity and sweet as Fae.  It is darker and sexier and spicy.  There is a hint of sweetness and fruitiness, but mostly I get spicy clove.  It is a great autumn scent. I am totally loving it.  I just want to smell my wrists all day.

Wow, I could have written that review, lol. I agree with everything said, this is my favorite out of the 3 I ordered. (also got the king and wildfire) I wore it to work yesterday and couldn't stop smelling myself. It's a sophisticated scent, yet I still get that new agey incensey vibe from it as well. Adore it, just wish it lasted longer on my skin - seems like the oils only have a life of about 2 hours on me - my skin just devours them. If this one was around all the time, I'd order it frequently.

I am not sure what went wrong... In the bottle this smelled incredibly fruity and complex... And then it disappeared almost completely on my skin. If I place my nose almost directly on my skin I get a faint wiff of a woodsy smell almost like an oak. Since my skin seems to eat this completely it was swapped.

Edited by omly

Initial Impression:

Sweet, soft and refined, but there's a definite edge. Like a dagger sheathed in velvet.

After Wearing It:

Though I loved this in the bottle, when I first applied this, I was a bit taken a back. Wet this was a really strong, slightly bitter floral that smelled a bit intimidating. The myrrh and opoponax gave the oil a menacing start, portraying the Queen of the Spades as a cut throat type of monarch. While the scent was decidely feminine, this made me think a lady of times past who's had to burn out or at least hide her feminine side to ascend and maintain her power. Nothing soft, just poised and ruthless.

After the oil dried and settled with my body chemistry though, things changed. The scent warmed up and became softer, yet more bold and lively. The amber asserts itself, giving the blend a rich depth, while the plum and berry notes show the Queen's more playful side. At one point, I remember thinking that this new side of the Queen ever felt maternal and gentle. The fruit notes where sweet and juicy, but not at all candy-like. They cast a mysterious, yet mischievous light onto the experience. I also kept thinking I was smelling jasmine here.

During the final stages of the fragrance, the plum and blackberry notes are the most dominant. The wood and resins add weight and balance, so the fruit notes stick fast rather than fading and don't become TOO sweet. Overall the experience shapes the queen's image as one of a lady who gives off the aura of fierceness but has a really good soul once you get behind her walls, which I find appropriate for the scent. It lasts too. I applied the oil 12 hours ago, but I can still smell it clearly.

Final Thoughts:

This scent reminds me a lot of Noir, particularly in its opening sequence, though it's lighter over all. I didn't get a chance to pick up a bottle of Noir before it was discontinued, so I was quite happy to find that this would be a good or even better substitute for it. Queen of Spades is so lovely, changeable and fullbodied, I'm glad to have 2 bottles of it! A great sophisticated lady's blend. Rave!

I was really looking forward to this - and I wasn't disappointed! :P

The sweet, fruity notes (I'm getting cherry as well as the plum and blackberry listed) are most dominant on me, but the base notes, which come through as smoky woods, pull it down into a darker, more powerful scent than the other fruit blends I've tried.

It gradually gets sweeter on my skin as the hours go by, but never as far as the candy-sweet stage. I'm sensing hints of green and florals in here, too - it's very complex and there's a lot more going on than I have the nose to describe! I am really enjoying it, I often feel apprehensive about buying LEs but I'm very glad I took a chance on this one.

First sniff:

Oh, my God...I'm in love. This is so beautiful! I'm picking up a strong incense type smell covering a base of deep, juicy plum. And it's really saying something that I can even smell this, since I have the cold from hell. :D

Wet on skin:

This is beautiful...gorgeous...amazing...:D I'm still smelling mainly incense, but as the seconds tick by the plum is coming to the front, making this scent even more gorgeous. This is quite possibly the most beautiful perfume I've ever smelled.

Dry down:

The plum has really pushed its way to the front, softening the incense and wood smell and making me feel very sophisticated and worldy. I don't normally like fruit in perfume very much, but this is gorgeous. And I got my first compliment on it as soon as I walked in the door after coming home from the post office. My fiance, who never notices what perfume I'm wearing, noticed it right away and complimented me on it. :P

The bottom line:

Deep, exotic, sophisticated and sexy. I'm in love...my favorite to date. :D

** EDIT ** Make that two unsolicited compliments today. :D

Edited by Penance

The divine Minilux offered to decant Queen of Spades...and then sent me half a 5 mL in the gorgeous Lab bottle. What will I do with this woman? She's too good for this world. :D

In the bottle, Queen of Spades is very rich and dark, too complex to distinguish what's going one. I smeared a very large amount all over my wrists (er, haven't figured out this Big Bottle business yet), and it is gorgeous! A lot of cinnamon came out on me as a top note, and it's very specifically cinnamon stick, right from the pantry. And under the spiciness is this gorgeous juicy purple--plums and blackberries and dark florals, deepened with amber. :nosegasm: :P

This is a sophisticated autumnal scent which imparts power and queenly command on the wearer. Perfect for ritual, but I'm going to be wearing it often just because I love it so. And when Brian gets home I will try the King out on him and we will be a Power Couple! :D

queen of spades

at first: a very dark scent. a bit soapy, with some wood and other scents in there. it's hard to pick anything out.

on: weird. this smells like flowers that have been dipped in some kind of heavy syrup. i think i may smell a hint of cinnamon or another warm scent.

1 hour later: this is warmer now, with more of a wood scent. very wonderful. an autumnal scent/

2 hours later: i really like this. it's a bit soapy, but light. it's very nice.

overall: very beautiful. i love that i get so many different impressions from this oil. i wish i would've gotten a 5ml, but i'm glad i at least got an imp.

My first thought on seeing this was "I have to have it.' After all, traditionally, the Queen of Spades is used as my significator card. Even ignoring that .. amber, and blackberry and plum? There was no way I wasn't getting this one. Sniffing it from the bottle I get a fruity spicey scent, mostly fruity, then the spice seems to kick in as an afterthough.

As soon as I put it on this gets an almost cinnamon-y spice to it, but it's more woody than that. Floral, but not really. It's lovely, rich and dark, and exceedingly dangerous smelling. I see a cat-burglar, creeping over a tile roof in the night. I see a madam who rules her bordello with sharp words and a soft hand.

I don't know where that spiciness that I'm associating with cinnamon is coming from, but I adore it. It's not quite cinnamon, but it's so close, it's amazing. The amber is there, but is soft and in the background still. I expect the more this wears the stronger that will become. Now I imagine an old forest, the thick trunks of the trees covered by the tendrils of climbing vines, their flowers filling the air with perfume.

I really love this. *purrs*

I can't believe how much I love this. I didnt think I would like it from its description! But the lovely Minilux offered me a sample in trade and I've fallen madly in love. This is up on my favorites list. It is so beautiful, Its a dark floral, its not overpowering to the point where you would get a headache. (Plum does this to me sometimes) The Plum, blackberry and amber is what I smell the most in this. Oh how I should've ordered a bottle!! I feel lucky enough to have tried this. Shes strong, in control, respected and admired. Oh this is too lovely, I am having the hardest time explaining it, it is so well rounded!

:D :P