Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
HamletsKeeper

Which oils say, cool detached authority?

I agree with Sudha Segara 100%. I wear it on job interviews. It's feminine without being girly, clean and creamy with a bit of a bite from the ginger. It's just beautiful, and gives off an aloof, "don't fuck with me" vibe. Very barracuda!

I like Black Opal from the GC and if you can get some Berenice I think that would fit the bill quite nicely as well.

For reference:

Black Opal-A play of geological darkness and jagged brilliance. Soft and luminescent with flashes of black fire

Berenice-A cerebral scent, dry, and white. This is a perfume of thought, not heart, and of unforeseen pain and sudden obsession, touched with uncertain twilight and ambiguous horror. Stargazer lily, white musk, clear aloe, blonde amber and winding-cloth linen.

I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for, but when I'm feel a bit like a snob, don't want anyone to talk to me, and I just want to get my errands done, I wear Victoria. It always strikes me as a "just because I'm smiling at you doesn't mean it's an invitation" scent. Pretty but not for you.

Mmm. Manhattan is one of the imps I ordered last month (can't wait can't wait can't wait :squee: ) and the description, of being cool, detatched, calm, is often what I try to go for at work. On those days when you just want to murder the students but just have to grin and bear it...not let them get to you...yeah, Manhattan is what I am really looking forward to. Interesting topic!

Wow I'm really blown away by the fabulous suggestions here.

I would love to go for Sudha Segara but it's made of the only notes I cannot wear. Can you say rotten milk with a dose of dettol in it? Ginger for some reason always turns to antiseptic of the very potent kind on me and I can't even wash it off....arrrghh! It doesn't matter what it's mixed with it does the same thing.

I now have a list of imps so long I wonder if I'll be able to try them all out.

The herbal/grassy notes seem to be heading in the direction I'm thinking you want. Which brings Coyote to mind (The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.) -- less 'perfumey' than The Lion, but still in the same family of warm, dry amber.

Ah, I've forgotten how much I adore Coyote. That's a good recommendation. I'm pleased that Manhattan gets so much love. It never seems to get much chatter.

Testing out scents is sooo exhausting, especially when you've got to source them all from the forum. But so far I've managed to get my hands on Lyonesse and Death On A Pale Horse.

Lyonesse is a beautiful scent, just not my style. Ambergris amps on me and end up with driftwood and vanilla but no lily or other exotic yummies which are in it. Its lovely on still but is like a mens cologne, akin to aramis. Not feminine enough for me.

Death On A Pale Horse I really like. The only way I can describe it, is that it's like a frozen margarita. I don't mean it smells boozey, more that it's icy cold and has that same sharp tang that burns your throat when you scull spirits. Not that I would know all about that mind you.... :umm: It's a super-cold aquatic scent that I love but a little too cool for work. More ice-queen than I want to go. I will bathe it in all summer long though, and I'm certain I'll have my grim reaper days at work too. :smite:

I've yet to come across an imp of Manhattan, but I'm a little worried as the leather in Kubla Khan became dominant and I ended up smelling like freshly polished shoes, all wax and leather.... :o

I'll persevere though..

I just got Manhattan (actually partly on the recommendation it got in this thread!) and I have to say that I love it. It's sweet and feminine and light but has this tang of authority underneath that. Love. It.

Manhattan is very nice. It is one of the scents that I wear that a lot. I personally love Lightning for work. It's a very light and airy scent that's never cloying. I've never had anyone complain about it at work either.

Berenice-A cerebral scent, dry, and white. This is a perfume of thought, not heart, and of unforeseen pain and sudden obsession, touched with uncertain twilight and ambiguous horror. Stargazer lily, white musk, clear aloe, blonde amber and winding-cloth linen.

This is what I was going to suggest, I think Berenice is perfect.

I would also second Pollution.

Edited by Medvssa