Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
capnlizaveta

Lucy in Darkness Atmosphere Spray

LUCY IN DARKNESS
And then insensibly there came the strange change which I had noticed in the night. Her breathing grew stertorous, the mouth opened, and the pale gums, drawn back, made the teeth look longer and sharper than ever. In a sort of sleep-waking, vague, unconscious way she opened her eyes, which were now dull and hard at once, and said in a soft, voluptuous voice, such as I had never heard from her lips, "Arthur! Oh, my love, I am so glad you have come! Kiss me!"

Denn die Todten reiten Schnell. Black opium poppy, laudanum, blood, and a chaplet of garlic flowers.

So, to give some background, I should admit here that my undergrad thesis was on Dracula, one of my all-time favorite books. Specifically, my thesis (the thesis of my thesis, if you will) was that Dracula was Jonathan Harker's penis.

Yes, I got a degree for this.

It makes sense when you think about it (sort of). I mean, it gives a reason why Dracula's reflection doesn't appear in the mirror (because his reflection WAS in the mirror BECAUSE HE WAS SECRETLY A PENIS). And it explains all the ridiculously flagrant phallic imagery, talking about how he is alternately flaccid/limp/pale and gorged with blood "like a filthy leech" (my favorite quote - I put the thesis title on my CV to this day, even though it has nothing to do with what I do now, just because I want to have "like a filthy leech" and "penis" on my CV).

Anyway, that gives you some background on my enthusiasm for Dracula and all characters contained within, even those that aren't secretly a penis.

So can I just say how super happy I was to see a collection devoted to Lucy. I am eternally sad that I missed the Dracula series from back in the day, and I am pumped x1000 to get to go nutzz over some Lucy-themed awesomeness.

After that extremely lengthy prelude, here are my feelings about Lucy in Darkness:

For serious, this is awesome. I feel like all of my reviews are overflowing with praise, but it's because I never review anything I hate because my review for something like Malediction would just be "BARPH" and that would be it. I can only go on like this about things I luv. And I luv Lucy in Darkness.

Allow me to finally get to the stuff y'all actually care about (thanks for putting up with me until now; it made me happy to write about Dracula and penises).

This smells amazing. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if it were a perfume or anything other than a room spray. But as a room spray it is seriously amazingly evocative. Wantonly voluptuous, one might go so far as to say. It definitely does make me think of the scenes of her changing, lying in bed while a bunch of her buds forcibly insert their "blood" (ahem) into her for her own (supposed) good.

It is very womanly and kind of old-fashioned smelling. In fact, it reminds me a bit of Red Lantern and Chrysanthemum Moon insofar as the opium poppies and laudanum make the smell feel very languorous. The blood really adds to it, too. Other people may not be too pumped to have their living rooms (or wherever) smell like the aftermath of a metaphoric bizarro blood-rape, but in my opinion this is about the awesomest thing ever.

I have a hard time describing this scent, other than it is definitely dark, resinous, heavy, and smells amazing in our bedroom. The scent hangs in the air for hours and hours. I sprayed 2 spritzes in our bedroom about 5 hours ago and when I walk in, the air is still thick with spray.

The poppy note is the strongest, but I do get whiffs of faint garlic and a trace of something metallic, which I imagine is the blood note. I concur with the above review that while I wouldn't necessarily want this as a perfume, it makes a great room spray.

Edited by angelicruin

This is so high-class whorehouse. Well, maybe high class vampire whorehouse! This smells gorgeous and I'm so glad I took a chance on it. The mention of garlic flowers put me off originally but I needn't have worried - it's all warm resins with a shot of something spicy-sweet and a dark floral. Love it! :wub2:

Opium/poppy scents always go all sharp on my skin and give me a vicious headache, but I was hoping that it would be more bearable in a room spray. Unfortunately, this still gives me a headache :(. I get a lot of opium poppy from this. It's not as sharp as opium tends to be on my skin, but it's still sharp to my nose. It smells sort of like white, sweet smoke and chemicals/metallic hair spray. I don't smell any blood notes or anything garlicy,; it's all sharp, hazy opium with a little bit of extra, resinous sweetness underneath it.

If you love opium, you'll probably love this spray. It gives me a headache and isn't a keeper for me, though.

This is about as opposite from Lucy's Boudoir Spray as one can imagine. I sniffed the tester and found all the scents present, very strongly. After spraying, it's rather intense, very cloying in an almost sickly-sweet fashion. If one were to spray this in a room, and then apply Lucy, Kissed, the two scents would work well together, but at the same time, the result could be a little too intense, perhaps.

These are elegant scents, but I'm not a femme fatale and I don't think that I could carry these off.

I was scrolling through the Atmo reviews and noticed that I had never reviewed Lucy in Darkness. This surprised me, because it has always been one of, if not THE, most favorite of all the atmo sprays I have tried. And now that my bottle is well-aged, it's even more amazing. This scent is the most decadent opium scent mingled with dark florals. I love blood notes and rarely like florals, so I think this must be a melding of blood and the garlic flowers. It certainly doesn't smell like garlic! This is also the strongest and longest lasting of all the atmo sprays I have tried (and I've got a lot of them.) As someone above said, 2 sprays of this lasts for hours and hours. :evol: It is the perfect boudoir scent.

I have always loved Oriental scents, and this falls in that category of scent to me. When sprayed on a scarf around my neck, I don't need to wear any other perfume that day. It would make an amazing, decadent, exotic and heady perfume. It's been a long time since Puddin' released this and there are a lot of people who never got a chance to try it. It's not one you see mentioned much, or see it available on the secondary market. I'd love to see it re-released (along with Crypt Queen- a girl can dream, right?) If you love dark, feminine exotic scents and ever get a chance to try this, do it! I'm so glad I bought 2 bottles when this was live, as I never want to be out of it. :wub2:

Hazy opium and blood. I mean, this should smell spooky and instead it just smells darkly seductive. This is sexy, compelling, and well, honestly this is what a succubus' bedroom should smell like. Darkly sensual.