Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
AngelaTarantula

Trevor Bruttenholm

TREVOR BRUTTENHOLM
A classic men’s cologne mixed with the scent of old, yellowed books, a splash of bay rum, and summoning incense.

well this is my 1st time doing the first review of a scent :blush: and i don't have the best nose but here goes... this scent doesn't have much throw and i had to give it quite a slather to get a good whiff but at first i get mostly a pleasant herbal cologne type scent with a shot o rum but as it dries it turns soft and smooth and is mostly rum and incense. it is a quite a pleasant close to the skin scent but not typically my thing although i did prefer the just applied herbal note more and might have kept the bottle had it stuck around longer. i rate it a 2.5/5 i am glad i got to try it but it will be off to the swaps pile ;)

In bottle; Mmmmm…bay rum and incense. This is a really pleasant cologne, which manages to evoke both an academically inclined man and an understated sensuality. The paper note is soft, yet pleasant. Wet: Smells a touch like shoe polish on top of the interesting cologne already discussed. It may also be a little too sweet for my skin, in a sweet tart sort of way. It still evokes a Victorian Gentlemen’s explorer club or the like, but apparently, my skin chemistry just doesn’t like it. As it warms, the incense really comes on strong, superseding the sweet tarts, so I’m thinking that’s where it came from. As it develops, I think the problem is in the bay rum/incense combination, when added to my natural musk. It just doesn’t work out. Dry: OMG. This is stunning. The remainers of the incense mingle with the paper and the bay rum to create something incredibly elegant and really interesting. This is heartbreaking as the wet phase is so offensive with my skin chemistry that there is no way I can wear this. It’s the near misses that hurt the most.

There's an intensely sharp note when it's wet that is definitely more sharp than most bay rum I've sniffed. There is bay rum in here, but the sharp note is a little offputting at first. Maybe a little like turpentine brush cleaner?

But once it starts to dry down that sharp note fades, and it becomes a lovely bay rum/incense scent, with a good bit of dry sandalwood in it. It's not as dusty as the other 'old book' scents I've sniffed, and that makes me happy. I don't think I'll get a bottle, but I do like this and will probably use up my decant.

The bottle of this came just yesterday; I get this nice spice in the bottle, which might be the incense and the cologne. I get that same sort of spice wet on my skin, which I'm going to say is a combination of the incense and the cologne. The old book paper sort of scent is an undertone at this stage, and I'm starting to think that my skin eats booze flavors.

This smells like spicy cologne with a hint of incense and dry books on me; the booze is getting eaten by my skin, I think. It's a really solid scent, and I'm definitely interested to see how this ages; I have a feeling it's going to turn out even more amazing than it is now.

Edited by Venneh

Bottle: Oh boy, I don't have high hopes for this one. Smells like old, old perfume that's gone off that I had as a kid.

On, wet: Still old perfume that's gone off. I guess you could call this aquatic, but it goes very bitter and stale on me.

Five minutes: Going a bit floral? Still very much dried flowers, maybe rose and gardenia. Dried, dusty flowers. Still has the astringency, though.

Half hour: It feel cool on my test site (inner arm) and smells distinctly of men's cologne now. It doesn't seem to be losing any of that stale, dusty floral note, though. I think this is me learning that only really fresh, blooming, and green florals work on me, but when they work, man! They WORK.

Hour: This is going to sound awful, but it's very good at cleaning my nose so I can distinguish the notes in foody scents that I'm testing. I wish I got any of the spice or rum.

I'm going to let this decant settle down and test it again, but my skin went "grandma" with this scent and stuck there quite firmly, only moving from wet stale perfume to dry stale perfume to astringent stale perfume.

Wet on my skin, I'm getting lots of rum and something old.

As it dries, the incense note emerges. This is an extremely pleasant scent on my skin. I believe a bottle may be in my future.

Oooh, Trevor is spicy! Is that the summoning incense? I should try cloves for summoning more often.

Ah Trevor. You are manly cologne and sweet clove, bundled together. There is a hint of rum around the edges, and the cologne has green musk, as it shares certain similar qualities to Pollution... but I get a lot of sweet clove out of the incense.

Not to my taste and mr. zee_zee is not fond of cloves...

Ok, my skin totally ate this?? It started off with a shot of bay rum, strong and smooth, with a vaguely masculine overtone to it. The "old books" note was a little similar Aziraphale, and that quickly faded into the background as the incense came out. It was a smoky sweet note. But in about 2 hours, I couldn't smell this on me anymore.

My husband is rewatching Buffy the Vampire slayer episodes. He's going through a LOT of them in a row as he is not well and can't do much else. So, I am rewatching lots of episodes as well.

I always did love to watch Anthony Stewart Head.

This scent is what Giles would smell like. This is the scent of a sexy librarian with a library of arcane books and a past with dark magical secrets. I really really like this scent. It wasn't in my original Hellboy order, but, I tried a bit on at a Will-Call, and then I had to have a bottle.

In the bottle, this smells like a sexy, smooth men's cologne and a bit of masculine spiciness from the bay rum.

On my skin, this is swoon-worthy. It's definitely masculine, but it's comforting and sexy smelling at the same time. As it dries down, this is mostly dark, smooth incense that's reminding me of blends like Cathedral and Midnight Mass, and a dry spiciness from the bay rum, all wrapped up in a manly cologne feel. The 'dry spice' gets stronger for me over time.

Edited by Little Bird

Golden oil.Very fresh and cologney in an almost sparkling way, with a beautiful astringent-green bay note. Slighty soapy and smoky/incensey - but distantly, faintly.

Same, perhaps a little more bay? There is a really lovely sort of aquatic-green sweetness, maybe cucumber? The bay is almost piney, in a GOOD way, woodsy, like cypress at its best, or maybe spruce. Incense is no stronger, still only on deep sniffing, and I'm not getting anything booklike.

More and more bay and cypress as it dries - my roommate notes that it smells almost citrusy - and I also get a slightly sharp dry note, which I wouldn't peg as books or paper, but is probably representing those. Sadly, a bit more incensey, in a rather generic way. It's definitely turned from unisex to masculine.

I like this scent a lot, and I really can't pick apart any notes although I always try. I'm always drawn to the labs bay rum scents and this is another good one. I have to agree that there is some kind of chemical thing going on here. It has the feel of dood-fume to me, but there's a sour sort of sharpness about it. I also agree that it's very light. I need a larger amount because I apply a lot when I wear this.

I thought it was interesting that here is an incense scent that is proper enough for me to wear to work. I like the lab's incense scents but usually wouldn't think of wearing them to work, but this one is different. More, please! : ) When these came out I went straight for Kroenen but as it turns out, this one is more to my liking.

wow, i'm so glad i picked this one up! it has the bay rum i adore from hellhound on my trail, the paper and incense of my favorite, the lurid library, and maybe a hint of leather? i love it!

Tried this on the husband. Wet: cologne and bay rum. Hubs says he gets a pickle note, same as from Hellboy. I didn't pick up any incense. Dry: it's still mostly cologne, but I can get the paper. Overall, not something for him, but Kroenen ended working on him.

Mmmm, this is what Dee would smell like in the 21st century.  This is a spicy, incensey, bay rum with the sweetness of the paper from other paper blends.  Paper and parchment is one of my favorite notes and I can smell it under all of maleness.  I'm going to slather this on my husband if he'll let me. 

In the vial, I smell the incense and yellowed books.

On me, I get a dark, sharp, woody note, which I think may be a dark myrrh or oak, along with some cologne. It softens after a minute and becomes more like an incense-y cologne scent over the pages of old books. After a while, the bay rum emerges and ends up becoming the dominant note, with a faint trail of incense lurking behind.

Not bad, but I wish the parchment note had decided to stick around, as that's what I was here for. I think this would smell great on a guy, though.

Trevor Bruttenholm belongs to a category of scents (Hellfire, The Buggre All This Bible, etc.) that my chemistry just obliterates.  The old books and incense of the decant disappear immediately on my skin.  Practically everything disappears, actually -- I have to hold my wrist almost touching my nose to make out anything.  It settles into a very faint bay rum cologne.  I want to love these scents so badly, but my skin just doesn't let them be appreciated.