Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ralenth

Hellboy

HELLBOY
Aftershave, candy wrappers, brimstone, and cat.

At first, Hellboy is a sweet, almost powdery aftershave. As it dries, a bit of smokiness comes out, but is still predominantly the sweet cologne. Then, out of nowhere comes this crazy litterbox smell. Whoa. I was expecting fluffy kittens, not this. Then the cologne takes back over and it's all baby powder and aftershave again. I wanted to love it, but clearly my skin does not agree.

ETA: After an hour, it chilled out to a nice, subtle masculine aroma. After six hours, it was still hanging out. It's nice and neutral if I can make it through the first hour. Edited by ralenth

Hellboy smells like sweet aftershave, with a hint of brimstone, and OMG...it smells like my cat CHESTER!!! :lovestruck: I don't know how Beth does it...but she does There's even a hint of cocoa....could that be the candy wrappers? :think: I really like this one. But thankfully, my decant will be enough.

This is a bit of an odd blend. I got a soft freshly cleaned powdery cat (like it was just washed with animal shampoo) and a slightly aquatic/spicy aftershave feel. But its mostly in the background to this freshly bathed animal fluff. Interesting. I'll have to let my decant settle a bit to see if more notes emerge.

Edited by mejuxtaposed

And now, for something completely different!

In my decant, I get a soapy scent with what I assume is the aftershave. Very... odd. Not what I was expecting.

On my skin, I get more of the soapy scent at first, though the aftershave seems to be blooming. Not getting any of the cat or brimstone just yet. But now, about fifteen minutes later, I'm getting what might be cat fur? I'm not sure exactly what the scent is, but I'm going to say it's cat fur.

...And now it's a half hour later and it's utterly gone on me, and I applied fairly generously. Sigh. Glad I decanted this rather than buying a $25 bottle. To the swaps.

Edited by Venneh

I'm definitely loving Hellboy on me. It's VERY masculine, so it does well on me. At first it does smell like an aftershave, but a sweet one. Not too heady, just fresh on your razor-wounded face from the bottle. It does lighten up, and I can see what people are saying-there is a period where I can pick up what 2 of my 3 cats smell like. In the end it smells like a light men's cologne, with a touch of smokiness and sweetness.

It's a winner in my book, especially if I go bar hopping anytime soon. (which isn't likely).

Edited by TheDiscoKing

On first sniff, Hellboy the perfume is overwhelming nice aftershave. Like well-dressed, natty, elderly Italian man aftershave. I am instantly eight years old again, sitting in the backseat of my grandfather's big, boxy 1980's sparkly-brown Crown Vic with my kid sister, with Grandpa driving the car-behemoth in a striped sports shirt and crisply ironed trousers. Him and Grandma are taking us to go get ice cream after Mass. He's listening to a tape of a crazy guy who whistles a lot and tells stories in between every song. His black cockapoo is on my lap, snoring...

Wha? Oh, sorry. There was road construction on Memory Lane. Had to make a detour.

Yeap, so once the Grandpa aftershave (and I mean that in a good way) begins to dissipate, I do smell clean cat fur underneath. Maybe a little cat spit. Like when you pick up a cat that has just been doing some intensive self-grooming and bury your face in their belly and motorboat just to annoy them. It smells like an annoyed, clean cat.

I don't smell a lot in the way of candy wrappers, but there is something just a little smokey underneath that would indicate brimstone.

So we have an annoyed, clean Grandpa cat with a bit of brimstone in his back pocket. Oddly, I think that I want very much to try this on Dr Boyfriend. I think that I will like this smell on him a lot more than on me. And I like it a lot on me. Sadly, it is way to butch for me to wear as a regular perfume. But on Dr Boyfriend it should be yummo.

Vial: Smoky, slightly sweet aftershave

On: Huh, what do you know. Something about this DOES remind me of cats, but I really can't put my finger on what it is. It's still aftershave, slightly sweet and slightly smoky at the same time. I don't mind it, but I don't love it so far.

Later: Aftershave and warm cat fur. I think I need to put some on the husband, I'd snuggle up to anyone smelling like that :D We'll see how long the decant lasts, we might have to get a bottle later

Wet on the skin, this is mostly brimstone on me.

As it dries, I get a bit of aftershave and something vaguely sweet, but it's still being overwhelmed with brimstone.

Unfortunately, not for me.

I got this for my boyfriend to try since he's a big Hellboy fan. He was surprisingly excited to try it and if it worked it could have easily been his gateway bpal.

Alas, such was not the case.

In the imp: I just get brimstone. He sniffs, pulls his head back, sniffs again, shrugs and slathers it on.

On the skin: We both got a very intense 'old spice' vibe. The aftershave note, I assume.

After some dry down time: It's turned powdery. He seems to turn resin notes to powder and this was no exception.

I'm glad he got to try it though. It was fun to see him actually want to try a scent on.

Aftershave and pepper. Maybe that's the brimstone that smells peppery. It's got a slight candy sweetness. Fortunately I don't smell the cat. :-) It gets a little powdery in the end, but it works ok with the rest of it.

Okay, so this was mainly aftershave (me and kid zz both!). On me, I could smell some of the brimstone (barest hint of smoky bacon) and on kid zz he def. got more cat from it.

Interesting, but def. a manly scent. While kid zz was both amused and excited about the concept of a Hellboy perfume, and testing it out, but I don't think it was the scent for him. His skin eats up scents, so he was surprised at both the staying power and throw on him, (regular throw and staying power).

I think that this is the first bpal scent that my husband has ever asked me to buy for him, which is unfortunate, because it's really powdery and turning out to be something neither of us will wear.

On me, this smells especially bad. It reminds me of some of the animal shelters that I've been in where the animals were lined up in cages and there was this sickly, sad, sour smell everywhere. I guess that's the 'cat' note. My cat smells like a sweet, sunny amber (I have a single note amber that smells just like her, actually <3), but I'm getting more of a sour, musky smell from this scent. There's that sour note, a little bit of charred smokiness, and lots of baby powder. After an hour, it smells rather like a powdery amber (bpal's amber almost always goes to straight baby powder on me) with a touch of something sour on me.

On my husband, this isn't quite as sour, but it does turn to a heavy baby powder smell. And baby powder is not a good, manly scent, in my opinion.

I actually wish that this did smell like Old Spice, because I much prefer regular Old Spice to this powdery, sour version...

Edited by Little Bird

I remember reading the Sequential Tart interview with Beth where she mentions that Mike Mignola wanted Hellboy to resemble Old Spice. That is EXACTLY it! Smelling it on myself I couldn't quite pinpoint it but this smells like a less cloying/choking/chemically version of Old Spice. There's obviously more depth to the scent itself, but there's a reminiscence here. The aftershave is heavily predominant in the wet stages, but as it dries, the musk comes out a little more and there is a bit of a sweetness. The brimstone seems to be taking on a smoky vibe. It's a little much for me, but I'm passing this on to my husband, because I think it will be AWESOME on him!

Hellboy - Ugh. On me, this is gross. It's the scent of aftershave, but also something sour and old, that I can only guess is the "cat" note. My kitty-cat smells nothing like this, thank God! The aftershave is slightly aquatic, but mostly just like cheap drugstore cologne. I can't imagine this smelling good on anyone, but I'm glad to read that it does.

Hellboy

In the Vial: Crisp sort of generic cologne.

Wet: Whoa, really cologney now.

Drydown: Sort of powdery. Must be the brimstone. And mebbe a hint of something sweet (the 'candy wrappers?').

Verdict: Overall, too generic cologney, too powdery, and yes, it makes me sneeze. Ugh. So glad I swapped for a decant and not a bottle. Eeps.

Wow, really? Brimstone, aftershave & cat? What are all these people smelling? Not *my* Hellboy! :lol: On me, this is Old Spice, but a slightly less rugged version. Maybe the candy wrappers give it a hint of sweet on the drydown. Whatever the cause, I love it.

Brimstone smells like foot odour? Or is that the cat? WHOSE CAT SMELLS LIKE FEET D:? I guess since Hellboy has a lot of them?

I can smell the clean, fresh cologney scent just underneath the brimstone/cat/sour feet. It's very interesting, if only it didn't make me gag.

This smells exactly like when I stick my face into my cat's floofy tummy.. all warm and clean and snuggly sweet.

I never really get 'aftershave' out of this, but it is slightly soapy. The sweet edge actually does remind me of candy wrappers - the waxy kind, they always retain just the subtlest smell of the candy they once held. I'm also really happy with the brimstone in this - it's staying in the background, adding just a little smokiness but more a musky kind.

Yup.. floofy cat belly :D It's really quite nice, and I think it would work very well on a man - it's semi-powdery but not in a bad way. It's not what I think Hellboy would smell like though.

On me, this is super manly aftershave. Intensely masculine.

On my boyfriend, it smells like baby powder...

In the vial – Old Spice and smoke and a little musk, all with a sweet undertone.

On the skin – Fruity and sweet, but with aftershave and cigars. A little bit floral.

Dry – There’s a hint of almost, shampoo, I want to say. Like cat shampoo…As it dries, it powders down a little but retains a sweet aftershave scent.

I like this, but will probably be passing this decant on as it’s too masculine on me.

What a strange scent.

This is like a the scent of a guy bottled. After shave covering up some BO. It definitely starts as a soapy cologne type of scent, but at the tail end of the whiff, I get dirty gym socks. Maybe that's the cat. I always say my cats are stinky good, but this cat note is a little stinky bad.

After a few minutes, I think the gym socks scent is dying down a bit and it's mostly a delicate after shave.

Definitely too masculine for me. Not sure I'd like it on my husband either.

In the bottle – Aftershave and possibly a little musk from the cat

Wet on me – Aftershave is still the main note, with the musk and a hint of sweetness

Dry on me – A peculiar, slightly sweet, slightly musky, slightly rubbery scent

Overall – I don’t know really, it’s so hard to put your finger on what it actually smells of

Lab imp from my Twitter contest goodie bag.

I was really surprised by this one, as initially, I had no interest whatsoever. But it turns out to be a nice sweetish man-cologne. I'm going to put this on the Mr when he gets home this weekend. I bet it'll smell really good on him.

It doesn't smell bad on myself, actually, but I'm not sure if I want to smell like I've been rubbing up on a (really good smelling) man unless I have been. ;)

In the bottle: Old Spice, with a hint of something else...

On me: CAT. And flowers? But not good, clean, sun-warmed cat fur.

No, this is ol' one-eyed, one-eared Tom blessing the flowerbed under your window on a hot summer night.

AND I CAN"T GET IT OUT OF MY SKIN!!!

:blink:

It smells like henna. LUSH's henna, to be precise. As it dries a bit more, I'm definitely getting the aftershave, and a little cat fur. But..wow. Henna. It's an interesting smell, but I can't think of when I'd possibly have an opportunity to wear something like this. And I think it's too masculine for me, anyway. Too bad I don't have a guy I could test this on. :lol: