Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RaeiNarcissus

Lilith vs. the Giant Crab

The first scent in the Bean Birthday update was created by her Uncle Brian…

I made this scent to commemorate the first time I played hooky with the Little Bean. I took her to the Long Beach Aquarium, where she battled a giant crab with her bare chubby fists. Needless to say, my niece was victorious. Deadliest Catch ain't got nothin' on her!

Tangerine cream, benzoin, white sandalwood, white pear, tonka, and ambergris accord.

I wasn't expecting this to be anything special to my nose, but I sniffed it at the lab and thought.......something in here smells kinda nice, lets give it a shot.

It's one of those scents where the notes blend together, and you're left with something that smells really good, but you can't place any of it. I had this on my hands, marked, along with 11 other scents, so I was going between sniffing this, and Sachs, and a bunch of weenies, and Jack, and a few others, and every time I sniffed it, it was still there, and it was still smelling nice.

It's been on for about 4 hours now, and it's kinda creamy, with something a little leathery and smoky underneith. I think I might have to find a decant of this, I don't like it enough to warrant a bottle, but it's definetly on the, this is nice vein.

RE-TRY - I tried it again .............and this time, it had a dry-down of Dr. Pepper. O.o Edited by RaeiNarcissus

it's funny, because i got this oil based on the description- it sounded like it would be a mid-range resin, because of the tonka and the white sandalwood, and maybe the ambergris accord.

it's NOTHING like that!

in the bottle, the scent was oddly non-existent. i don't know how else to put it, but basically that all the notes blended together in such a way that is was like smelling-what?-scented air? water from my pitcher? walking by a small garden? something ephemeral and close to be nothing at all. :eek:

as soon as i put it on, that changed though.

and it became...

The Greatest Orange Creme Of All Time!!!

it's like Brian magically lifted the Orange Custard Cream from Huesos de Santos and put it into it's own special bottle. i am not one for citrus scents too often, but this is the perfect combination of Vanilla Creme and Orange. it's like wearing a creamsicle! :wub2:

the throw is medium, and it sadly leaves my skin sooner than i would like, but it's just scrumptious.

if i am able to get a backup before it vanishes, i most certainly will. either way, i will cherish this bottle forever.

oh, and PS? it mixes *deliciously* with Cake Smash! :thud:

It's one of those scents where the notes blend together, and you're left with something that smells really good, but you can't place any of it.

That's exactly how I feel about Lilith vs the Giant Crab. It smells vaguely like something from Lush, but I don't know what. The tangerine cream is the most apparent note, but even it is subdued (wish it were stronger I want to smell like a Creamsicle!). I wasn't able to pick out any of the other notes. It's just smells good.

in the bottle: *sniff* hmmm *sniff* I cant pick anything out. It's good though!

Wet: ahhhhh, tangerine! yum! And something that smells vaguely aquatic.

Drying/dry: yup, mostly a tangerine that seems a bit creamy with some other, unidentifiable (to me) stuff underneath.

All in all, it's very light and unobtrusive. The sort of scent that you'd imagine carried on a breeze that you can just barely pick out from the surrounding smell of air. (Did that make any sense? I'm quite tired :P )

Love! :wub:

I am in love with this blend! Oh my goodness, its amazing! Its the prettiest and sweetest citrus sugar scent ever. I get sweet watery tangerine that's slightly creamy, though not in any obvious way. Just as though there's a slight touch of spun sugar and vanilla in there, not an outright cream or milk note, though. There's also something a little dry and dusty in there. It reminds me of Lush bath bomb dust, particularly that of the Supernova bomb. Its a very pretty scent! It reminds me of summer, as there's something ever so slightly tropical with the tangerine note, as though its a wet fruity breeze over some hot sandy air (which must be the sandalwood/ambergis).

Its gorgeous! And for a light, sweet citrus blend, its got great staying power!

In the bottle: Pear predominant, then tangerine.

Wet: Benzoin and tonka, sandalwood, then the tangerine comes on strong, which is fine by me.

Dry: The tangerine has faded, as the citruses always do. The tonka and pear, with the tangerine faintly in the background, give the creamsicle effect that many report with this, but on me that's less apparent than the benzoin and tonka, with a little sandalwood mixed in for spice.

Verdict: I like this, but I dunno about keeping it yet. I'm going to try again when I don't have a huge pile of decants next to me/on my fingers. (Dang, but that Ahania fills them imps high!)

This is a fruity but well-anchored scent that is great fun. The predominant note reminds me of the Orange Cream Lifesaver swirly candies they released a few years ago.

However, despite the lovely sandalwood base, it's just gone way too fast. We're talking minutes, then poof.

My heart is crying right now...

delivered to me one hour ago...

The smell is predodminantly orange. No cream, no ambergris, no nada! Orange orange orange.

I think I need to swap it off... :wub2: :cry2:

I think this will be my favorite of the three most recent Lilith selections. In the bottle and wet, it smells like pure orange creamsicle--mmmmmmm.

Then it morphs into an aquatic (we are talking about a visit to the Aquarium, after all), but the orange cream plays quietly in the background. It is very unique and delicious...just like Lilith. :)

Minimal throw and wear length.

I got so excited when I sniffed the bottle, because it smells of the most amazing orange creamsicle scent.

On my skin, it does start out with orange creamsicle, but an aquatic note soon emerges. From that point on, the scent seems to change from orange creamsicle to aquatic.

The second testing went much better, more orange/tangerine and less aquatic. I think I still need to let the oil settle from its cross-country journey to see what it turns into. Very promising though. ;)

...my wrist is glued to my nose.

Bottle: Guh! I can smell the tangerine already. It's just a bright, happy scent that makes me think of all the sugary sweet tangerine yumminess in the world.

Wet: The ambergris comes out a bit, and overall the scent takes on an aquatic edge. It's like I'm eating tangerines dipped in cream while sitting on a bright orange, plastic float in the middle of the ocean. The tangerines, of course, would be in a nice little bucket so the crab couldn't come and steal them.

Dry: The tangerine is still sharp, which makes me beyond happy. It's an endless supply. The cream-y edge has melded with the aquatics (I guess my container of Cool Whip fell into the ocean...) but all together, this blends into something absolutely breathtaking.

I never get two bottles. Ever. I figure I'll have enough for the rest of my life with one of all... but this may make me break that rule.

on first sniff, this reminds me of high school.

specifically of arriving at 7am to work on the Literary Magazine (i was ed-in-chief) during the quiet hour and a half or so before first bell.

the cleaning staff used some sort of powerfully orange-cream scented products, and in some areas of the school (when freshly cleaned) the scent was eye-wateringly, chokingly strong. but in the "Main Building" with its old wooden floors, somehow the scent changed and it became a warm, woody, orangey smell. so my early mornings were full of that warm, woodsy, creamy citrus scent. mixed with a hint of the perfume (EL's Beautiful) that the teacher wore.

and this scent is the scent of those mornings, bottled.

i admit, at first it was very off-putting to me, very chemically and unpleasant. but once it settles in? i can't stop huffing my wrist!

there's still something i don't quite like but i only catch a whiff of it every now and then. it might be the ambergris, it might be the pear (both tend to smell a bit... off ... to me) but for the most part, this is lovely. i'll test it again in a few days to see if i need another bottle ;)

bottle: tangerine and pear with a dribble of cream behind. this smells yummy.

wet: tangerine-y with something like a bubblegum sweetness behind. this is my favorite of the birthday scents.

dry: this dries to the most delicious orange fizzy aquatic scent. i will be needing another bottle.

In the bottle I get a Juicy Fruit gum vibe, which made me nervous. But once I put this on my skin it was fantastic, and so evocative of a time and place. It made me think of sitting on the end of a pier in the sound, eating a creamsicle on abright, early summer sunny day. The pear and tonka gives it that sweet watery sense, the sandlewood is the dock warmed my the sun, and the amber is the sunshine and the salt spray.

This is aquatic, but the first aquatic since Siren that I haven't run away screaming from. Bright, sweet, airy, light and lovely, it is an aquatic that works for all.

The drydown just makes it more light and effervescent, oh and for me it lasts lasts. I shall be slathering myself with this stuff on the regular.

Edited by Ohmaude

To me, in the bottle, this smelled like bubble gum. I was very wary of this. On, though, it morphs into this yummy fruity creamy thing. I'm not good at picking out individual notes, but I can definitely pick out the tangerine and something creamy. Yum. It has a light throw, but quite a bit of staying power. It reminds me of the way Lady Lilith smells on me, but less dark, more breezy. Really liking it.

this went on very tangerines, cream, and bubblegum! It was very sweet and rich and girly. Then it dried down to a gorgeous soft tangerine and sandalwood. lovely!

In the bottle: bright tangerine :yum:

wet on skin: creamy, sweet, soft citrus with a powdery hint. I'm so so bad at picking out notes, sowwee.

dry down: very light and dreamy. Powdery without smelling like a baby's butt. I love this! :wub2:

The label is too cute.

Tangerine cream, pear and ambergris in the bottle. On skin this calms considerably, with a very pleasant pear/creamsicle combination with tonka and benzoin to keep it from being too saccharine sweet. The ambergris gives it a salty base as well, making it vaguely aquatic. This smells like a pleasant childhood outing to the aquarium... which... duh. After the dry down, the ambergris and sandalwood have really come out and the fruity/creamsicle element has hidden itself away, which is kind of sad. On the plus side, I found a sandalwood blend that works on me. I think I'll let this sit and test it a little later to see how it settles. It has potential to be really pretty and fun.

In the bottle and wet, it smells like pure creamsicle. On drydown, the creamsicle fades and leaves behind a soft, fresh, lovely scent...I can't pick out any notes at this point, but it is fantastic. I was hoping for creamsicle with this scent, but am not disappointed with what it became. Cake Smash and Mlle Lilith are both great, but this is the winner for me of the Beanday scents. :wub2:

Light and buoyant...this smells like eating tangerines on a warm wooden pier while dangling your feet in the water and watching the boats go by. I like that it's fruity without being overly sweet.

I am a tangerine and citrus lover so this blend is a dream come true, a strong and robust tangerine note that fades to light sandalwood after. This is so mouth watering and fun that it must be slathered and reapplied many many times without shame :joy:

Mmmkay, bear in mind that my skin chemistry eats citrus in like.... seconds. I think. In any case, on wet, I get this giant burst of tangerine which is pretty and lovely, but as it dries, I think the cream kinda goes funky on me and I get this bubblegum + strong salty aquatic, which I think is the ambergris amping on my skin (as it got some of the same commonalities as Ebisu). It actually makes me think of an aquarium.

I might retest in a few days, as this is right out of a swap package and I tend to give oils at least three days to settle down before I test them. On the whole however, I'm not sure this blend is for me. Which is sad, since I really enjoyed the tangerine at the beginning and would have loved to have it stick around.

And I freaking wish I had gotten the orange creamsicle that everyone is talking about. Oh skin chemistry, you are made of LOSE.

This goes from Orange Creamsicle to strong Aquatic that verges on household cleaners but then finally develops into what reminds me of several Shunga blends. It must be the Tangerine and Ambergris leading me to that comparison.

Very nice, ultimately after a lot of morphing.

It's a little weird comparing this to a Shunga blend though :blush:

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

OK - so out of the bottle I was all OMG Bubblegum. do.not.want.

Then 5 minutes later I was all "WTH - I didn't use any Lush American Cream this morning" Then I sniffed my wrist. Yup - American Cream. Strange. Must be the benzoin is amping.

No orange, no cream. weird. :think: