Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Cake Smash

Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting against a backdrop of Snake Oil, Dorian, and Doc Constantine!

Cake Smash is one of those scents that I wear when I really need a foody, dessert-y hit. It's absolutely red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting, against a subtle backdrop of what feels like the BPAL supernote: Dorian + Snake Oil + Doc C. It reminds me a lot of the original Beaver Moon, which I also love. I'm not in the mood for this often, but when I am, it's great. Sometimes I layer with a drop of Snake Oil or Dorian, if I want the sweets to take a back seat.

Ha, I knew I'd have to redo this review, it was morphing all over the place the first day, but now it's been in a warm room for two days it's settled down :)

Freshly applied, gooey juicy dribbly-syrup red velvet cake :wub2: So, so gorgeous! That begins to fade within a couple of minutes, to a drier, deeper, more chocolatey cake scent, and then the Dorian, Doc and Snake Oil begin to creep in. The first day I tested this, it almost vanished, leaving nothing but a waft of Dorian and a hint of sweetness, but now - hurrah - the cake is holding its own! It's a perfect balance of the lovely backing of Dorian, a tiny hint of masculine leather, and these ground the overlying cake, making it wonderfully gender-neutral and less pure sugar. The cake that remains isn't so lush and dribbly-squidgy as it started, but it's still got a major red velvet sugar-rush going on - it reminds me a little of the drydown in Midway, that final stage of sweet, heady sugar that seems to envelop your skin, and I can smell the vanilla tea of Dorian just beneath, and closer to the skin the more masculine vibe of Doc.

Absolutely lovely! :wub2: So glad I finally managed to snag a bottle, it's been on my wants list for so long! :boogie:

Edited by DevilsCandyCane

♔ Cake Smash

In the Bottle: spiced batter note that is prominent in many bpal cake blends. Slightly artificial/plasticky.

Wet: Spicy golden brown cake mix, slightly sweet and pink- but not sprinklecake 'pink', maybe the frosting? I get a little chocolatey note that reminds me of sweetened dry cocoa than the buttery nutty chocolate I expect to see in chocolate blends. There’s no tang so- I can’t say there’s much of the cream cheese frosting other than the plastic strawberry pink cake covering I get, over a dry cocoa chocolate base which is undoubtedly the red velvet.

Drydown: There’s more of the strawberry pink covered cocoa cake note coming into the foreground– and the red velvet/dry cocoa note disappears in this stage which is disappointing. I also seem to amp more of the snake oil on dry down...with the spiced cake batter, it mixes into a nice dry golden amber and aged vanilla – but it's definitely snake oil. It’s a little sweeter and lighter, like Khrysee- but not floral. I imagine that Dorian hiding in there somewhere because I don't even get hints of vanilla tea. I also don't really understand why it morphed into strawberry pink cake icing on me? what? Especially as Sprinklecake gave me a lot more pink "sprinkles" and less chocolate base. hmmm

TL;DR: Spicy golden cake batter, sprinkled with dry cocoa, with pink icing atop.

Edited by celestia

I just noticed that I never reviewed this scent- weird, since I bought a bottle back in the day when it was first released.

Cake Smash is definitely red velvet and cream cheese on my skin, and the hints of the BPAL trifecta of creation are there if you look for them. This isn't a scent I wear often, but once in a while I'm in the mood for a sweeter bedtime scent without lavender, and that's when I turn to Cake Smash. The label of Lilith is one of the cutest things ever, too! I treasure my bottle.

Wet: Cake, cake, and more cake! The frosting is present as well.

Dry: Still cake and frosting, but with some depth that wasn't there on the wet stage. It might be the Snake Oil peeking in, but it's not full-blown.

It's a really yummy scent. Almost... uh... sexy cake, maybe? :ninja:

Edited by donkehpoo

In the decant, I mostly get the cream cheese frosting.

On my skin, it's cream cheese frosting infused with elements of Dorian, Snake Oil, and Doc Constantine. It starts off stronger on the Dorian, but the Snake Oil (moreso the vanilla than the spices) aspect wins out on me after a few hours of wear, although the Dorian's still there. I get a hint of the fir of Doc Constantine, but it's not as strong as the Dorian or Snake Oil. Behind these notes, I get the cocoa of the red velvet cupcake when sniffing really close. But it's not in the throw.

This decant is a keeper for sure! I don't think I need to hunt down more, but I am loving the vanillas from Snake Oil and Dorian mingling with the cream cheese frosting-covered cupcake note. :)

Edited by doomsday_disco

Going through all my old hand written reviews...

In the imp: Very typical bpal-cake, but not as buttery as the ones I've tried (and sadly often disliked). I also smell jam!

On: Lovely, moist cake, vanilla I think, with some nice berry filling. Reminds me a tiny bit of Monsterbait: Closet (one of few cake blends I adored). After a few seconds spices emerge, must be the Snake Oil and it better not ruin this!! Almost instantly after the spices I smell tea. It doesn't smell like Dorian, but I like this. Cake & tea, very nice combo!

After a while all I smell is a lovely vanilla, this is truly beautiful and one of the few cake-blends that doesn't give me an instant migraine.  😍

I was frimped a sniffie of Cake Smash.  On me it’s red velvet Snake Oil, whoa.  Cake, cake, cake -- sweetness overload. I’m not really picking up the cream cheese icing, and I’m not getting even a hint of Dorian.  Mostly red velvet cake and Snake Oil, with a verrry subtle leather undertone from Doc Constantine.  I love it, and I can see getting a lot of compliments when I wear it.

I have not tried Doc Constantine so I can't really tell if that is in here, but I am very familiar with Snake Oil and Dorian. When wet, it was mostly a red velvet and cream cheese cupcake and I couldn't get anything else. After it's dried, I am stating to notice the Snake Oil. Not picking up Dorian or the Doc, it's mostly a sugary sweet cream cheese Snake Oil blend. Really really good! Probably one of thee better cupcake oils I've tried.

When I purchased this on release (sooo many years ago) it was all plasticy vanilla + snake oil. I'm not even sure why I kept a bottle. But I've been pulling out old bottles to evaluate what I want to keep and what I want to rehome this month, so I tried this one on a whim.

In the bottle: Still the same BPAL cake scent which I always enjoy in the bottle, but is hit or miss on my skin.

On skin, wet: "Where... where did the snake oil go???" This is all cake and the Dorian tea note. Somehow the tea has tamed the cake scent so that it's wearable.

On skin, dry: This is all Dorian with cake warmness backing it up. It wouldn't be an every day scent for me, but it's great for cold snowy days where all I want to do is drink tea and read books.

Lightly spiced cake with a smear of Dorian-infused cream cheese frosting. I'm not getting much Snake Oil, but I believe it's lending a subtle spice. This smells similar to Beaver'versary, but so much better.

Unfortunately, Cake Smash is suuuper faint on me, probably due to age. It's one of those oils I never really wear, but take out my bottle to sniff every once in a while. Can't seem to let this one go -- it's an important slice of (cake) BPAL history.

Edited by PumpkinGuts