Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Cake Smash

Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting against a backdrop of Snake Oil, Dorian, and Doc Constantine!

An evil enabler sent me a tester of this. Oh god, what have you done to me? This is red velvety cake sweetness with a splash of spice. This is one for the bottle hunt for sure.

In imp: How odd - the vinegary creaminess of cheesecake frosting, the fluffy deliciousness of red velvet cake, and something in the background that has to be the three mentioned perfumes.

Wet: Oh this is just delicious. Cream cheese and cake, but with depth! There is something piney in the background that has to be Doc Constantine.

Dry: Now the pine comes out strong over the cream cheese, with a little snake oil to back it up. The confection has become a background sweetness that blends incredibly with everything else. Hoo boy, mama, is this a keeper!

Edited by Whisperstilled

I was a little congested when I first tried this, but as far as I could tell, it's Exactly What It Says On The Tin. The frosting is more prominent than the cake by far, but both are present and accounted for - now, I can't claim to be good at picking out notes, but SO and Dorian at least are so distinctive that it doesn't take much. Snake Oil provides a resinous, syrupy base, with the vanilla from Dorian and something else I can't put my finger (nose?) on, if for no other reason than I'm just not that familiar with Constantine. But, there it is.

As a foody/resin/musk lover, this is gorgeous. I think it calls for a bottle (if possible).

Source: My own original bottle

In the bottle: Cream cheese frosting, frighteningly accurate to the real thing.

Wet: Cake and frosting is the top note for sure - cream cheese and that softly chocolate cake scent. This is very evocative of real red velvet cake. I can't pick out Dorian, Snake Oil or Doc Constantine specifically behind it, but they're definitely there.

Dry: The cake and frosting are still there, but I'm getting a strong Doc Constantine vibe from this now - the musk, leather and amber in particular, with a touch of that overpowering Snake Oil funk. (Yes, I'm a Snake Oil hater. It does a burnt plastic thing on me.) Here the SO is curbed by the sweetness of the cake and frosting and the musky Doc. Dorian gets totally lost.

I just wish this remained mostly the cake and frosting scent on drydown. It's there, but not as prominent as I might wish, alas.

Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese frosting. :wub2: I don't usually like foodie perfumes but I snagged a bottle anyway because I'm a Snake Oil fan until I die. It's delicately sweet and spicy. Absolutely amazing.

Red velvet cake slathered in cream cheese frosting is my idea of heaven, so I was very excited to test this, especially after hearing so many good things about it from other BPALers. Unfortunately, Cake Smash doesn't like me very much. On my wrist, it's pretty much just cream cheese without any sugar or vanilla. It definitely smells odd and I know I'd feel awkward walking around smelling like a dairy case. Later, the Snake Oil pops out but it's really powdery and doesn't seem to mix well with "frosting." I am saddened but not really surprised - I should have learned by now that foodies don't usually play nice with me.

2/5

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

This is not really what I expected, although it does serve to confirm that red velvet cake is one of my favourite notes of all time. This is the same red velvet cake as Monsterbait: Closet (which I adore), but without the blackberry. It has a similar creamy vanilla note as in Beaver'versary. So far, so good!

On the skin, however, the cake/vanilla notes tend to tone down and fade. What is left is a very clear impression of Dorian (to me it's the vanilla-tea smell I get most strongly from Dorian), a dry wood (which I'm assuming is Doc Constantine), and a whisper of Snake Oil spices underneath. Really, it smells to me like a mixture of those three, with very little red velvet cake. That's a bit of a shame for me, but all in all I'm very pleased with it.

I am normally not a foodie at all, but dipping my toe into the lovely frosting to see how it goes.

Bottle: Hmm. When my gf first got the bottle, it was all cream cheese frosting. Now that's settled down a little and I smell the red velvet cake more, with a hint of frosting. Getting the Snake Oil in the background.

Wet: Cake with a faint resin and a hint of tea.

Dry: Lemon pound cake? Hmm. I suspect it's Dorian making itself known. The cake is sweet, but not overly so— not that thick sweetness that I get from sniffing the bottle. A little drier, but still lovely. Reminds me of tea cake with a brown crust. Huh. Not what I expected from the bottle sniff, although I expect a lot of that is my skin.

Wowowowooww. I can't believe a generous forum member gave me a sample of Cake Smash! Very greatful..

Wet: Creamy thick cream cheese frosting and cooled red velvet cupcakes! Smells like valentines day at my house last year! (minus the Wulric I was wearing and accidentally ate off my fingers..)

Drydown: I can smell wafts of the SO and Doc Constantine but not really the Dorian, at first. Dorian comes out a little bit later. Lovely foody scent!

I am not really a foodie person, though I do enjoy sweet scents. Initially this is pure cake with creamy vanilla-like frosting. It actually reminds me a lot of Eat Me in the beginning, however, as it dries the foodie part sort of goes to the background so that the Snake Oil, Dorian, and Doc Constantine are wafting on a hint of delicious cake.

Oh my god this is good! Why didn't I try this earllier. At first you get the cake notes, and it's delicious little cakes smothered in frosting.

Then on the dry down the incensey notes from Snake Oil comes out. The finish was almost pure Snake Oil to me which I LOVE LOVE LOVE, so this was a nice one to wear.

OMG Yum.

First off, I love to smell like cake.

There is a lot of Snake Oil in this. I find Snake Oil a little overbearing on its own - so Cake Smash is really working for me. It has all the incense-y spice that I love in Snake Oil, but with a mega jump start of lovely red velvet cake and cream cheese icing. I get nothing but compliments when I wear this. Seriously, who is going to say "Ewwww, who smells like cake?..."

Even my sister who has deemed all my BPAL as 'hippie shit' loves when I wear this. :lol:

I don't get Dorian in this (and I LOVE Dorian) and I have never tried Doc Constantine - but I do get Snake Oil. I find this a lot 'richer' than Eat Me (which I also LOVE) and of course it doesn't have the currant/berry twinge Eat Me does.

Major lasting power on my skin and a hoard worthy scent for sure. Believe me, I am on it. :P

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

Got this bottle just out of the mail! from a lovely swap :heart:

From bottle: Sweet creamy reminds me of floating brain but lighter.

Wet: i get a fresh sharp fruity smell of this (lemon?) with cream.

Dry: i get a sweet lemon cake from this.

Overal a very nice scent :wub:

Have tested it again, and i only get soft cakes now, no lemon at all.

It's soooooo good :wub2:

Edited by Icekitten

This is so red velvet cake and cream cheese icing, both in the bottle and on my skin. The throw is ridiculous too. I've had it on for hours and it's still going strong. Hasn't even faded a smidgen. I only applied it to my neck too and when I rested the back of my hand on my chin for just a few minutes, my hand now smells just as strongly. I don't smell any Dorian or Snake Oil in this, and I've never tried Doc Constantine, but judging by its notes, I don't seem to detect it in Cake Smash either. Either way, I don't mind because this is awesome the way it is.

Actually, if I concentrate really hard while sniffing up close, there is just a slightest hint of Dorian, but it blends in so well with the cake and icing that it can scoot on by without it even being noticed. So glad I found a bottle of this. This ought to be resurrected someday!

I'm a rabid red velvet fan and this sounded perfect for me. However, I found it to be thin-smelling. It wasn't rich to my nose at all, but like watered-down red velvet instead. I didn't smell any Snake Oil or Dorian either and I wish I had. I don't know what Doc Constantine smells like. I guess I might have smelled something woodsy in there. Cake Smash smells a lot like Miskatonic University to my nose, but far weaker.

Definitely did not live up to the hype for me! So glad I only bought a decant.

I ordered a couple bottles of this at the time and thank God I did..this is the SEXIEST dessert smell in the world..rich red vevlet chocolate cupcakes with creamy cream cheese frosting (I get the hints of lemon from the Dorian) and the spice from the snake oil OMG!!!! It make you want to take your arm and start eating it..so flipping good it is not fair to the other perfume oils..oh well..they will just have to stand in awe, :wub2:

Cake Smash, to my nose, is mostly Dorian with a hit of cream cheese frosting and red velvet cake. It is so like Dorian that I don't feel the need to hunt down a bottle, which makes my wallet ecstatic! This really is a beautiful scent, though, and I will definitely use up my decant. :)

I finally got to try a decant of this via swaps (thanks again!) , and was hoping I'd get awesome red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and a hint of the dorian, snake oil, etc...however, on me this is almost all dorian--I get hints of red velvet cake, but they're so faint as to be almost unnoticeable unless I'm really looking for it. So, while this one's still pretty, I already have a bottle of Dorian--I'm afraid it'll be off to the swap pile with it, in hopes of it finding a home where it will get more love!

I so wanted to love this, but on me it fades to nothing but a pencil-y wood note after it dries down. I guess it's off to the swap piles with this one. I'm a little heartbroken. :\

Hmmm... this is a very yummy scent...I do get cake and frosting, but it isn't over powering. When I first put it on, it smelled familiar, then it hit me!!! At least to my nose, it smells very close to Monsterbait: Closet!!! BUT this is a great scent. I don't get any S.O., but it is a yummy, softer, foodie scent!!! :)

Hmmm..

This is like the.. more boring, kiddie version of Halloween: LV. Like H:LV, CS is the only "cake" blend I can actually wear without it turning.. weird on me. But! It's very.. sweet and generic. While H:LV has this oomph due to the wine and spice and extra spunk, CS is just.. sweet bakery goods. I don't know. I am not so excited about this. The good thing about this scent, though, is that it has a long staying power.. even the next morning, I get vanilla frosting from the spot where I tested it. It is not a bad scent per se, just not as great as I had hoped it would be!

In the bottle, this is all red velvet cake and frosting. YUM.

Freshly applied, I get a hint of pine from the Doc Constantine and some spices from the Snake Oil, but the cake note is still the star of the show. This isn't even foodie, exactly, despite the strong cake note; the BPAL trifecta brings a really nice resinous quality to the party, which makes it a little sultry, a little tongue-in-cheek, and really, really confident. I'm pleasantly surprised that the frosting note stays true and doesn't turn to plastic, as it so often does on my skin.

As it dries, it stays quite sweet, with a vaguely resinous background. Sexy stuff, this. I wish it stuck around longer, but that's my skin's problem, not Cake Smash's.

In short, love me some Cake Smash, but I don't think it eclipses the Halloween: Las Vegas. Still, the red velvet cake note is to die for. :whip:

This one morphs on me like no one's business. In the bottle, I smell cake and lots of it! On me, it starts as red velvet cake and then the cream cheese comes out to say hello for about 10 minutes. A strong almost cologney-type smell comes out about 15 minutes later, only to get squeezed out by the ever amazing Snake Oil. Snake gets trampled by something woodsy-ish and finally, they all decide to end up at the table again, eating Red Velvet Cake and drinking tea. A most curious blend and one I'm glad I have in my collection.

Wet: Got a testable sniffie of this in a swap box. Hello cream cheese frosting! This is just gross and overly foody and I am so not interested in ever smelling like this. It's just vanilla and foodiness and while perfect for a first birthday scent for a little girl, not my style at all.

Dry: More of the same. I get more of the tea from Dorian and the spices that must be from snake oil, but they don't keep this from being syrupy vanilla overkill.