Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Cake Smash

Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting against a backdrop of Snake Oil, Dorian, and Doc Constantine!

Cake Smash smells different to me than other cakey sweet scents. I smell the supporting notes; the Snake Oil, Dorian, and something that must be Doc Constantine, which I haven't tried. I like it more than if it was a single note cake. The additions of SO, Dorian, and Doc keep it from going too sweet, so for me its not too much like Beaver Moon or Beaverversary. I wore it to bed last night and woke up smelling like how day old Snake Oil smells. With everything it has going for it I bet its going to be even better when its aged. And the Lilith label is soooo cute! Love it!

Edited 9/25/09 @5:30pm - This now (after having it on for about 3 hours) smells to me like a sweeter, "cakier" more delicious version of Eat Me! Hellllzzzzz yeah! :)

Original review: Strong cake note...kinda like cheesecake at first......but with a touch of sweet snake oil - weird, I know! But it sweetens up nicely - this blend is a WINNER! Definitely getting more. I'm loving it! I'm not getting much dorian or doc...but I'm thinking they may come out with aging.

Edited by pinkstardust420

In Bottle - A lot like Beaver'versary, but without this teeny bit of strawberry (I attribute it to the frosted cupcakes) I always smell in the bottle for Beaver-versary. This smells a lot more like just sweetened cream cheese frosting, and cake.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Mm, yep, this is like a Dorian cake on me! I smell a bit of Snake Oil in there as well, but the Dorian really takes the reigns in this blend. I'm sure as the oil ages that the SO will make itself more known, as that is the way of the Snake Oil, but for right now it's a deliciously frosted lavender-tea-musk cake. Unfortunately, I've never smelled Doc. Constantine, so I can't comment on the strength of that in this blend.

Dry, on Skin - As it sits on my skin, the cake and the Dorian ebb and flow. Occasionally I take a sniff and it's all red velvet cake, sometimes I take a sniff and it's more or less pure Dorian, but most of the time, it's that gorgeous blend that is so like some sort of lavender-infused cake with tea, as served by a...musky gentleman? I love this! I'm going to try and grab a back-up if I can.

Yum! In the bottle I thought this smelled very spice-cakey..similar to a slightly softer Eat Me. However, once on, it slowly became more vanilla incense-y. LOVE! I couldn't even wait until I got home from work to order a bottle. :wub2:

Cake Smash is incredible! Wet it's yummy cream cheese, and drydown a very realistic cake smell emerges. In the background there's a spice-y/incense-y/musky smell that must be the Dorian and Snake Oil. It's similar to Eat Me but more complex. Delicious!

Edited by AmandaKay

In the bottle: red velvet cupcakes, indeed. Very sweet, very much related to Beaver Moon.

On the skin: This blend morphs like WHOA on me! At first it's all cupcakes and cream cheese. On the dry down, I get all Snake Oil and Dorian. It's actually not as overpowering on me as Beaver Moon can be, which I love. I wanted something sweet to wear, that's a foodie but doesn't give me a headache. Cake Smash fits that bill. I'm not as familiar with Doc Constantine (I think I have a decant somewhere) but if you love Snake Oil and Dorian then you'll be set. I may have to buy a 3rd bottle.

This is going to be a short review but I just had to throw my thoughts in here, since I notoriously don't care for foody or 'cakey' scents, so I wasn't sure how this would turn out for me.

Cake Smash is very much like the original Beaver Moon when I sniff and first apply it -- it has a sparkling sugary bright cake scent, not something cloying and thick. That is precisely what I was hoping for! At first I thought it was going to be a near-dupe for the original Beaver Moon, which would be fabulous, but as it dries, the Snake Oil and a hint of the bright warmth of Dorian peep through. Absolutely marvelous. As someone who doesn't care for foody scents, and who has a lukewarm relationship with Snake Oil in general (love it in combos, but not so much on its own)...this is fabulous. I am very glad to have some because it will become the default scent to wear on birthdays now!

This blend is magic. Beaver Moon is one of my favourite oils and Cake Smash is its brother at the start, but when it releases the Dorian notes it `s like spreading some cake on yourself. There`s no other way to explain it. And it`s never sickly sweet. Today I slathered all the arms with it and quietly enjoy the chocolate sponginessy pleasure.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Cake Smash is strongly cream cheese frosting over red velvet cake. I think I'm in love! Dry, the cake and frosting take a step back and Snake Oil and Dorian start to come through as well. This is fabulous.

This is the first forum only scent I've bought and I'm gonna have to get another one of these 'cause I LOVE it! I almost diddn't get this because I had a bad experience with Dorian (my man got a bottle and SLATHERED it...my nose diddn't stop running for days!). In the bottle I get red velvet cake ( I love red velvet so much I picked it for my wedding cake) with spice and frosting. It's reminicient of Beaver'versary but more spicy. On me the cake only lasts so long and then it takes a back seat to the DC, SO, and D. I really diddn't like these on their own but mixed together its not bad at all. This means a lot comming from me since I'm a major foody. Hope Beth puts out a cake scent for each of Lilith's birthdays!

Edited by AmandaArcana

Well, I briefly got the lovely Cake in the beginning but it wears off and I'm left with the underlying amalgam of Snakeoil, Dorian and Doc Constantine.

For me, this is not really good.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

This is soooo good!

In the bottle: straight up cake

Wet & dry on skin: cake + quite a bit of Dorian tossed in <3

Not really getting much SO or Doc Constantine at this point. Hopefully aging will bring some of Mom's SO to the forefront. Cause SO + cake would just be nummily delicious :yum:

:wub: much love for Cake Smash!

I bought four bottles of this and I am not disappointed. I don't get along well with Snake Oil or Doc Constantine, but I can't smell them at all here. I do smell the Dorian quite strongly, which is one of my favorite perfumes ever. Cake Smash is like Dorian + foodie awesomeness.

My first thought when I put this on was that it smelled like Dorian and Beaver Moon, but Beaver Moon goes all wonky, sour, and oddly spicy-pie-crust on my skin. This is like what I wanted Beaver Moon to be. I don't smell anything like red velvet cake, but this does smell like sweet, delicious cream cheese frosting and maybe a hint of white cake to me. Also, of course, it smells like Dorian's clean vanilla tea. It's sweet, but it's definitely not too sweet or cloying.

Vanilla tea and a slice of white cake absolutely smothered in cream cheese frosting. Yeah. This is wonderful. :wub:

Cake Smash begins on wet with the same kind of cake note that you get in the Floating Brain and MB: Closet. However, as it dries, I get more of the Snake Oil and Doc. Constantine. If the Dorian is there, it is overwhelmed. I get something that smells a little more like white cake as opposed to red velvet. I definitely amp up the Doc Constantine in this one.

It's not bad, but its not a blend that calls to me.

Much to my dismay I was slathered in Illustrated Woman when my Cake Smash arrived (I'm frequently slathered in Illustrated Woman) so I only sniffed it before heading off to work and. HOLY HELL. Cake Smash is like death scary in the bottle. It smells like cream cheese frosting cake death. I was going "why did I buy a bottle of this again"? and wondering what I could try to swap it for.

Got home. Took a shower. Time to test perfume.

Thinking that I was going to need to move this one ASAP I tested it first.

Christ in Tights it's amazing on. It's like Dorian and Snake Oil had a cupcake baby. Which I guess they did. Now I remember why I bought it. Because it was CAKE with Dorian and Snake Oil (and Doc Constantine, which I also like, though I'm not really picking up on that at all here). All of the cakeyness settles right down to a yummy, rather than frightening level. Good lord Beth is a genius. What a fantastic tribute to Lilith!

If you're scared of it in the bottle, test it, that's all I can say. And if you're a non-foody and are put off at the mention of cake, just try it. It might be cupcake death on you, but it also might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship (especially if you like Lilith Victoria!)

I have so much perfume that I don't buy backups of anything except for a few select scents that I can't live without, but I might need to find a backup of this.

Seriously. Freaking. Awesome.

I mean it.

I can't stop smelling myself.

I have Liz on my other hand and as much as I love vanilla and leather, this is kicking poor Liz's ass.

I wear Beaver Moon 05 and Beaversary a lot. I really thought i mixed up the bottles when i put on Cake Smash! Sniffed in the bottle and then first blasts on my skin, definitely the Beaves.

After it started to dry down, I got that undertone that I thought was aged snake oil...can't remember about the Dorian as i know i like SO but not Dorian. I will say that Cake Smash smelled like strong, pungent, amped up Beaversary. It was almost verging on that foodie scent with a dense undertone of musk. The Beaves are a more clean and pure foodie scent...a strong cheesecake or sugar smell that stays in that vein. Like donuts. But Cake Smash was stronger and more pungent. I thought this was going to be a multiple bottle scent for me but I think I'm happy with my one. It's so close to the Beavs that it smells like what the Beavs might smell like in 10 years!

Cream cheese frosting plus a good slather of Dorian with a dusty edge of Doc Constantine. :wub2: Not much in the way of SO, but that's ok. Maybe it needs to age? Fabulous. One of my new top ten.

Just got my 5mL of this in the mail today. And on opening it, oh god, does this smell good. Red velvet cake + gingerbread spices + sweet cream cheese frosting. I'm drooling just smelling it.

Once on my skin, the gingerbread spices amp a bit more, but it smells ohmygod gorgeous. I may have to consider a backup bottle of this. And an hour later it's still staying strong, though the cake and frosting is starting to fight for dominance with the Snake Oil/Dorian/Doc Constantine combo. Lasts about three hours total. Definitely my favorite BPAL scent I've tried, ever.

Happy birthday, Lilith! Your mom makes really, really good scents that make me want to eat my wrists. ^^

Edited by Venneh

It dries down to cream cheese frosting, vanilla and spices on me. It also has tremendous staying power.

I can smell the snake oil, but, not the Dorian, yet. Maybe as it ages, and this should definitely age well.

Wet, a blast of cake, similar to the cake in other cake-blends. Cakey yum yums.

Drydown: Where'd mah cake go? Waaah!

Further drydown: Well hello incense and wood! This must be Doc Constantine. Snake Oil. Dorian. Dorian always smells a bit, um, sickly to me, but here it's okay, a tolerable level. Actually, this is a nice blend of the three. Although I have never smelled Doc Constantine, I can definitely tell that it's there because something in this smells like pencil shavings, and that means cedar! The vanilla-spice of Snake Oil, the sweetness of Dorian, and the more masculine D.C. notes somehow total to something a little on the unisex side. The cake note is still there, but it's very subtle and definitely not the star of the blend. The cream cheese frosting never really registered, unless it's the source of the extra vanilla sweetness I am smelling and not Dorian, like I originally thought.

Keep on truckin': The more I huff this, the more I am liking it! It's like Snake Oil cake with additional vanilla musk and hints of leather and wood and darker things (this again must be coming from Doc Constantine?). It's not very strong, though, and the lasting power is only so-so. The different stages make this very interesting.

I'm glad I got this. The incense-cake effect is nice. & I know Cake Smash will age divinely. It's more than tempting to grab a backup....

Oh my lord, I loooooove this.

Wet, it's super cakey with frosting, but dries down to this gorgeous creamy sweetness that smells even better than cake, and isn't overtly foody. What's awesome is that the spicy incense Snake Oil part sticks close to my skin, while the waft around me is this wonderful slightly woody, creamy cake with a hint of tea. It's like the air around me smells sweet and inviting, but if you get right up next to my skin it's WHOA SEXY. :yum:

I'm definitely going to have to figure out a way to get a bottle of this.

Lemony cream cheese frosting with undertones of Snake Oil, Doc, and Dorian. It isso good. I am thrilled it isn't very foody. Just soft wafts of vanilla, lemon, cream cheese, woods and incense. This is going to age fabulously.

In bottle: cake and buttercream frosting for sure!!! Oh how I loved this the moment I opened the bottle....

Wet on skin: the buttercream fades fast on me and then comes the cake. The rich, not too sweet cake. The Dorian gives it the little extra something special.

Dry on skin: still super cakey, but smells the tiniest bit medicinal, that's what

S.O. Does on me, I never get the doc constantine.

I love this x a million! I am so glad I bought two bottles.

After testing Lambs Wool and finally admitting to myself that I love food smells but don't want to smell like them all day (they're awesome in soaps and scrubs but I don't want them to linger), I immediately thought "Well, Cake Smash is going to have to go, too". Boy was I wrong. :lol:

This is a sweet, chocolate perfume on me. It's not foody enough that I feel like I'm walking around with a big giant CAKE sign on my forehead but it's got those sweet elements to it. It smells like a really expensive, really good, chocolate non-commerical perfume...which screams Beth. :)

Lovely blend for a lovely occasion. :wub2: