Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loviatar

The Finnish Goddess of Agony, Torment and the joy found in inflicting pain on others. The Mistress of Torture, she has transformed in the modern era into the patron Goddess of Dominatrixes. The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

In the imp: Oh, sweet awesome-ness! It's like Loviatar is Iago's date for the evening. The leather is familiar, but the red musk in this blend gives it a more mysterious quality, IMO.

Wet: Wow, this is glorious. I just love leather. The other notes are definitely working around the leather, and I'm fine with that.

Drydown and wear: Yep, this is a more feminine version of Iago. This blend is also more complex--I love the red musk. The amber and myrrh emerge after I have had this perfume on for a very long time (2+ hours). This oil also has amazing staying power, as I could detect the spot on my arm where I tested when I woke up this morning. Edited by Shollin

Ohhhhh.

As a huge fan of leather, I don't know how I managed to go so long without trying the gloriousness that is Loviatar.

I love De Sade, and the leather note here seems, to my nose, to be one and the same.

However, there's a more layered feeling to this blend than to De Sade. I think it's the red musk. And I get the sweetness of the amber like honey ever so faintly. The overal vibe is deep, nearly sanguine. Layered reds and blacks.

This is the scent of an imposing sex goddess. I love it so very much.

Having heard so much about this one, I'm quite excited to try it. It sounds like a good match for my personality, and contains a lot of notes I love.

Raw out of the bottle, it's a meaty leather scent rubbed with the sweetness of musk, and a fog of smoke that must be the myrrh. Intense, arousing, and dangerous.

On the skin, this is so intensely sexual I want to back away from it. There's a strong scent of burning here which is truly disturbing at first. It is a merciless scent, harsh and unyielding.

And as it dries, oh, the myrrh and amber come up and it's a fragrant smoky smell all wrapped in leather. There's a sweetness in it from the musk and the leather, but this is not a sweet smell. For a while I am not at all certain I have the fortitude to wear this.

Oh, who am I kidding? There'll be days when I will live in it.

A perilous, dangerous, balls-out scent that is far less feminine than it is sheerly predatory, this is a blend I will wear with great pleasure. Beautiful and deadly.

In the bottle:

Something dark and musky

On me:

This is leather, but it's not so in your face that I feel it's one of those love it or hate it kind of deals. It's like leather with something more warm and comforting with it - like sandalwood. Only I don't know that it's sandalwood, it's just like leather on a bed of something more warm and earthy. And it could be the myrrh but it really doesn't come off as myrrh on me. It's a "dark" blend in that it feels heavy, but not in a bad way. Just in a way that makes me think it wouldn't really be something you'd wear to work lol.

It is sexy in it's own right, and I think this would smell AWESOME on a man, but would work on a lady too.

Final note:

Not *quite* what I had imagined, but I'm not disappointed with it either. I will definitely keep this imp for the times when I'm in a "leather" mood and want something a little more aggressive to wear :P

In the vial: mainly leather, a little bit of myrrh.

On me: Myrrh and leather. Would have loved for the black amber to come out and play a little more, but it still was an intriguing combination.

And then, I put some on my husband...

Two words. HOT DAMN! *is getting hot and bothered if she only THINKS about it*

Big bottle, definitely - not for me, for HIM! :P

Edited by Diva Urd

Initial impression: Dark amber and musk. A little smoky, in a sultry smoldering way, not in a hazy way.

While wearing: I LOVE THIS. I don't find quite as much leather as I was expecting, but the other notes are balanced very well. And it never gets sweet or powdery -- on me, it was the same scent Hour 1 through Hour 8. It has a lot of throw, too.

Sensual? Oh, hell yeah. "Lascivious" is the perfect word for this blend. I didn't look at the notes before trying it for the first time, and I put it on right before going to chemistry class, which proved to be problematic. I could barely concentrate.

Husband's reaction: "It kind of reminds me of Pez. In that dusty way." [Note: He's wearing Casanova right now, so his sniffer might be a little off.]

First sniff: The base is leather, but there’s a sweeter note above.

Wearing: I really don’t understand the sweet part! There’s nothing listed in here that goes sweet on me. But there it is, a definite sweet aftertaste to the leather. In the early stages, the leather is grounding without being too leathery, the sweetness adds a nice kick even though it confuses the hell out of me, and all around it’s deep and rich and wonderful. Sadly, it got more and more leathery as it dried, and leather, I’ve discovered, is not something I can wear.

I just wanted to note here, that this review based on a fresh imp. I had another frimp, that was old, and it smelled terrible. So, I learned that they do eventually break down.

In the bottle: faint hint of leather and something clean and fresh lurking.

Wet: leather and the surprising sweet clean aspect.

Dry down: leather and myrrh start their S & M session. Remember the safety word is "amber." :P

30 minutes: this is down and dirty leather!!! Myrrh said the word, and leather is just cleaning things up from their fun and games. This is naughty, lovely, and arousing.

Conclusion: MORE MORE MORE!!!! I will be getting a big bottle of this. This is like my beloved Spanked without the cinnamon. When Spanked is gone, I will at least have you Loviatar! And, since others here have said this is like a feminine Iago, I am going to have to try him as well. This scent makes me feel like a "kick ass and take no names," girl. Like I need any help with that. :D

Mamma like.

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 5+.

Loviatar is mostly leather to me. It's like a black motorcycle jacket, with a delectable sweetness behind the leather. The amber and musk are great in this, and the myrrh adds a hint of incensy goodness to it. I do wish the leather would back off a wee bit; it's just too overwhelming to the other notes for me to absolutely swoon over it. I may eat my words though- I'll keep playing with it, and BPAL has been known to absolutely change my mind completely over notes I thought I hated. At the moment though it's a 3.8 out of 5.

imp: leather and well, some kind of flower. i dunno. it's sweet. maybe that's the amber?

wet: something more spicy now. for such a leathery scent it does feel girly, and that's cool. but there's something else under it that smells like a bar of soap. uh oh...

20 minutes: still spicy, a bit of leather, the flowers are all gone. but so is the soap.

later: This is nice but too simply spicy/leather.

Some girl almost licked my face off over this scent the other night, be warned!

Total aphrodesiac!

Very heavey, , stays strong and low.

Don't see why it doesn't say patchouli in it, because i smell it. but not in a hippie way. it's very groundedand there's some other really smooth almost-=liquor-like thing behind it.

i got this as a frimp in my first bpal order a couple of months ago, but never got around to trying it out because it smelled so masculine in the bottle, and i had so many other scents to try.

on a whim, i put it on today, and while still wet it definitely had a masculine scent of heavy leather and musk. not that i like girly florals, but it wasn't really my thing. during the drydown, though, the amber started to come out and a couple of hours later i'm finally starting to smell the myrrh. it has really softened up to a warm sexy scent. i wish the myrrh was stronger, though, as i really LOVE incense scents. i doubt i would by a big bottle of this, but i'm glad i tried it and will definitely wear it occasionally until my imp is used up.

In the imp: leather over a generic 'perfume' sort of scent. Slightly soapy, too.

On me, wet: Mmmm, leather. I can't smell anything else. There's not even any 'perfume' scent any more.

On me, dry: leather over musk and amber. Oh my. This is Dragon's Hide soaped-leathery sexiness with a twist of girliness, but there's an occasional powderiness that's a little offputting.

Later: woohoo, powderiness went away. The SO liked this, in a way he didn't like Dragon's Hide, too.

Verdict: well, I think I will keep this around. This may displace Dragon's Hide on my list of favourites, and I really didn't expect that from sniffing the imp. It's leathery and sexy and warm and sultry.

Bottle: amber and myrrh initially.

Wet: leather coming to the fore, not quite overpowering the myrrh.

Dry: leather right up front, and it's not a scent that works well for me. I'm hoping that this will pass and the resins will create more of a balance.

Later: The ambers are lovely, and the leather has calmed some. Interesting and complex. I'm not sure it's for me, tho.

In the bottle: Strong amber and musk in the bottle. I'm not getting the leather at all.

Wet: Ohh, musk! And now there is the leather!My skin is warming the oil and bringing the leather out even more. Musk and leather... reminds me of my high school boyfriend.

Dry: The leather went back into hiding and now all I am getting is the musk with a hint of amber.

Overall: I don't dislike Loviatar but it is altogether too soft on me. All that I can smell now is musk. No leather. *sigh* It just disappeared on my within the first 5 minutes. It's such an elegant scent. I'd be all over the boy if he wore this for me. Maybe if I beg enough... *grins*

Fresh From The Imp: Amber & musk. Quite tasty.

Wet On My Flesh: I'm not getting any leather, but the musk and the amber are melding nicely.

Drying Down: And the leather appears! It's not slapping me, but it sure made the musk and amber bow down.

Hour To Integrate: It makes me think of a male version of Scherezade: Musky and dry, but without the spice and sweetness.

End Of Day/Final Report: I wouldn't wear it, but my man might.

Well, I wanted to smell what this leather note was all about... MEH

I love this stuff. I love myrrh too, so well, this is an excellent combination.

Yes it smells of leather. And other extraordinary stuff. Warm and dark, hmhm, delicious! I just can't explain...

In fact, this is what I want a man to smell like, but I don't mind to smell like that, either. I am gonna have to try more scents with leather!

As hours pass: woooah, so intoxicating, love the stuff!

On my boyfriend: *dies*

Hmm, this is a lot of ingredients I really love plus bpal's leather accord...which is a little scary for me. The leather in Perversion is a glorious thing, but the leather in Misk U was very overpowering.

:barges ahead anyway:

In imp: I can smell leather accord and myrrh. It's very sharp and acrid at first whiff, but was markedly more mellow on the second.

Wet: Smooth amber with rough leather underneath. This is making me a little nervous.

Drydown: This has a lot of throw, but that's normal for these notes on me. The amber is still the dominant note, and is starting to go a bit powdery around the edges (which I don't mind).

Dry: leaaaaaaaather. A little sharper than say, new leather, but the amber and myrrh smooth it out and make it sexy. Thankfully the leather not as strong and sharp as it seemed in the imp. The powderiness is sadly gone - I was hoping for a nice contrast of innocent and not innocent scents.

Perversion will remain my favorite leather scent, but Loviatar is a really good choice if you're not into vanilla/tonka.

I got an imp from my switch witch, and man, is this good. Loviatar was nothing special in the imp but dry it's all warm leather and soft musk with hints of amber. It's like I hoped De Sade would be.

Def. need a bottle!

In the bottle, this is musk and leather with a dark smoky note that reminds me strongly of Dragon's Hide. On me wet, the musk and leather are a hot blend that's thickened by the myrrh which adds a hazy smoke note to this. The amber is bittersweet in this, a tangy note of sticky residue like bloodied sweat. As it dries, the musk and myrrh lay out a bed off damp smoke that the amber melds with in a tangy manner that surprises me. The leather is inprecises and doesn't sit still but meanders back and forth. As it warms, the leather calms a bit, laying smooth and supple over musk while the myrrh and amber top out this heavy blend in a bitter-smoky blanket. This has a vaguely "perfume" smell to it that reminds me of something I've smelled in a mall before but I'm not sure why. Still, it's thick and naughty and very very delightfully wicked.

I avoided getting an imp of this for a long time, because as much as I adore leather and the concept of a goddess of sadomasochism, I absolutely loathe red musk, which smells disgusting to me. So I was both hoping to try it and avoiding it. Finally, I gave in...

In the bottle: Just red musk, eep. Ooh, wait... and leather. Hmm...

Wet: Leather goes dominant, whoo! It covers up lots of the red musk, and I can smell some myrrh.

Drydown: Very dry, hot and bitter leather, with red musk in the background - the musk has this distinct slightly sickly sweet and rather rubbery quality. Strangely though, leather and rubber go pretty well together. There's spice, too, dry and strong, more like cinnamon than myrrh, really.

Overall: I'm stunned to find myself really liking this. I can still smell the red musk, but mixed with leather it doesn't disturb me (read: gross me out) at all. This is the smell of fetishist's closet: leather and rubber items, musk and the harsh spice of their perfume. Certainly a perfect representation of a dark goddess of sadomasochism. Wow.

I got this as a free imp from the lab. I've never had the courage to try it before today because it was so strong in the bottle.

So finally I was feeling a little experimental and I put it on. Just a little though as I feared it would overwhelm my poor sensitive sinuses.

On me it's still strong but not quite as masculine. It's still pretty strong and I could see a guy wearing it easily but on my sking it's slightly softer and sweeter.

I smell the leather note that everyone else does and it's definitly the most prominant one in this blend and the one that I think smells so masculine over all. The sweeter note I'm pretty sure must be the amber but I think black amber likes my skin better because I'm not getting that overly headachy reaction I do to most ambers. I don't smell the myrrh which makes me a little sad because I'm pretty sure I like Myrrh. I'm not positive what red musk smells like but I don't think I really smell that either. Over all it's mostly leather with the faintest touch of sweetness from the amber.

I'm glad I got to try this as it's an interesting and complex smelling scent but it's like an extreme opposite of anything I would ever wear so I don't think I'll ever wear it again and I will most likely put this up for swaps.

In the vial: Black, wet leather.

On me: Mmm. This smells like leather and dragon's blood! It must be the combination of musk, amber, and myrrh. I love this! It's a sexy scent.

Verdict: Definitely keeping this one. Can't believe I didn't like it on the first try. I like it now!

Rating: 4/5