Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loviatar

The Finnish Goddess of Agony, Torment and the joy found in inflicting pain on others. The Mistress of Torture, she has transformed in the modern era into the patron Goddess of Dominatrixes. The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

In bottle: very dark and earthy, a little bit sweet. I can't smell the leather at all.

Wet: this blend is very warm and earthy but suprisingly light. It gets sweeter on my skin.

Dry: Red musk and I do NOT get along. It overpowers everything else with an earthy powdery-ness. I never detected any of the leather, but that's probably because the red musk was busy covering everything else up.

I had high hopes for this one, but it didn't really work on me.

As with Greed, there were elements to it that I liked, but then there was some note in it that just threw it completely off for me. I'm not sure what it was -- I'm thinking maybe the leather, because amber, myrrh and musk are usually pretty safe bets on me, though I haven't yet sorted out all of Beth's different musks from each other scent-wise. But there was something in it that was dry and tickly and a little bit... The best way I can think of to put it is fake-smelling. A bit like that plastic-offgassing smell in new cars.

It wasn't exactly a bad scent, but that one note kept it from really being a good scent, either, at least on me. It's always kind of frustrating when that happens.

Grade: B (was: C)

ETA (Dec 16/05): I tried this a few months back, and didn't like it much, but that was also during an evening playing with a friend's BPAL collection, where I tried on a whole lot of things. So when an imp of Loviatar recently fell into our hands, even though it was mainly Kettu who wanted it, I decided to give it another try.

And really, it's not bad. I like it better now than I did before, anyway. I still think the leather note in it is a bit strong for my tastes, but it's not as plasticky-smelling as I recalled it being. Musk and amber and myrrh can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes (nose?), so it's mainly the leather that's the not-so-great note in here, but it's not messing with it as much as it seemed to be before.

For a scent named for a goddess, this is some pretty butch stuff! A lot of the scent I like are labelled as gender neutral or even "traditionally masculine", but this almost verges on too masculine for me. It would certainly work equally well on a man, and does indeed come across as sexy in a very aggressive, take-charge way, but it's not out of place on a woman.

Overall, still not likely to become a top favourite, but I think I can safely bump it from the C I originally gave it to a B.

Edited by Miss Lynx

I picked up an imp pack of leather scents. I'm trying to decide if there's something I want a big bottle of more than De Sade.

OMG *scentgasam*

This is incredible - I want to bathe in it.

Ahem. But that's not much of a description. This reminds me of Whippoorwill, with leather. Odd that it's spicy, but no spices are listed. Sort of like De Sade kicked up a notch. I's swear I smell cinnamon there somewhere. Not a food scent really - just spice. The leather is strong with a lot of throw. I feel like I'm wrapped in some very sexy mans coat.

My new best friend, I'm going to get a BIG bottle of you. :P

Edited by hologhost

Oyyyyyyyy this is GOOD.

The sweetness to it is the amber-- I don't know the difference between "black" amber and other kinds, but it smells to me just like the amber I love in Tarot: Strength. Perfectly sweet but not sharp, like living honey at the heart of a flower, only in Loviatar there's no flower. Instead there's myrrh, which is a deep, dark, slightly smoky resin scent, and it grounds the amber amazingly. And leather, which I never dreamed could smell this good. And... I guess musk? I've never been quite clear on what musk smells like. There's something in it that's pricking my nose, and I would have said it was the leather, but I think it's actually the musk. The leather's there, but it's not as strong as the musk. The leather's higher up in the scent, with more of an edge. The musk envelops the resins in this cloud of body, pure raw sex.

It's sharp and troubling and complex, yet peaceful, narcotic, dark with comfort. A fetish in and of itself. Meow.

First Impression: Musty cardboard.

Dries down to: Body odor, and not in a good way.

Additional Comments: I definitely don't like this one. Amber usually works for me but not in this case and the leather and musk are too strong. I love the scent of leather so it's this combination that just doesn't work for me. I'm not familiar with myrrh and it's possible this is the note that's bringing out the worst in the other notes on me.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5

The leather and the red musk in the opening moments was exactly right, but then the myrrh and what I assume is the black amber started to come out and this became too overtly sexual and masculine to me.

It seems like a well-constructed scent, and there's nothing in there that goes funky on me, with the possible exception of the amber - it was starting to slide toward the powdery area. I think taken separately or in different combinations I would probably like most of the notes in here. It's just that all together they are too much for my personal taste.

A little bit of amber, but more of the musk and myrrh. Very dark and brooding. Almost woodsy. Reminds me of Haunted a bit. Don't really like this one. I'd say more of a masculine scent.

Loviatar-freebie compliments of Lab...

This is something I would have never picked as a scent for me..but of course..I had to try anyway...expand my boundaries...

Don't know anything about the Finnish goddess of agony..but my curiosity is/was piqued..and I was a bit intrigued about what hot leather would smell like...so why the heck not???

So..this is my 3rd round with Loviatar...I wanted to make sure that my feelings and impressions were solid.

Initial sniff from imp: I get the slap of the leather..and right behind it the black amber/red musk...and boy does it slap me. The impression I get from smelling this right out of the imp isn't warm or inviting at all..but startling...almost stinging..as if I actually did get hit..don't know how else to put it.

Applied wet on skin: There is that slap of leather..and yes...the warmth of it reminds me of the warmth that you feel when being hit multiple times...yes..it stings..but there is a type of warmth that starts spreading..from all the blood coming up to the surface..making your skin rosy. Trust me people..I am NOT into any type of S/M..but there WAS a time..waaayyyy back when I had a relationship with someone whose bedroom antics flirted with the exotic. Not that there is anything wrong with S/M..mind you!!!! LOL :P

I also am getting again that black amber/red musk..not so much myrrh...I think the amber warms up the scent even more...but as I said..not in a friendly way..no,no, no...this is definitely a "push the envelope" kind of scent.

Couple of minutes drying on skin:Same players..the leather has receded a bit..with the amber/musk and now myrrh doing their thing on my skin.

Drydown: No leather to speak of...just faint whiffs of it..with the amber and myrrh closing up the party...

Lasting power is impressive...both times I have worn this, it lasted 6+ hours. Throw was good..not too much, not too little.

Bottom Line:Truth be told..the first time I wore this..I felt extremely uncomfortable..something about Loviatarmakes me uneasy. The second time I wore it..I still felt the same way. This third time..not so bad..but maye it's because I have worn it and am getting used to it..but all in all it is a very evocative fragrance. Definitely the type of scent if you want to go on the prowl. I kind of liken my experience with it similar to Debauchery-I know lots of people run screaming from that scent..but in my humble opinion, both of these fragrances definitely play along the exotic fringes..if you know what I mean. I think this is a "nighttime" fragrance...very sexual..very dark..and is seasonless..

It's not me..but I am glad I got the chance to try it. Good for everyone who can pull it off!!

Delicious!

Out of the imp this is all leather and red musk. It's neither sweet or dry. I suspect the amber is grounding things here, but I don't smell amber per se.

If Fenris Wolf is Oz during the full moon, then Loviatar is Willow in her Doppelgangland leathers. And they are a sexy, hot pair. :P

Loooooove red musk.

Wet: Red musk and amber. I do like what red musk does on me, magnetic and sweet and sexy. Just a bit of leather emerging, but it's barely detectable at this point.

Drying: The leather is coming out more now. I'm a bit neutral on the leather -- if it gets too strong I may not like this. It seems to be a new-car kind of leather, which doesn't seem very sensual to me; the leather in Whip is nicer. Still a pleasant waft of red musk, though. Nice, but I'm not sure the leather adds anything; it's sort of like Spellbound but with an unnecessary leather note instead of roses.

Dry: Bit by bit, the leather seems to fade out again, leaving behind the original red musk and amber, which I am in favour of. There's still a bit of leather undertone but it's not as irritating.

I like this one; I don't think I'd buy a bottle, but I'll probably wear it again.

Immediately, I get leather. Like I leaned into a pile of half-finished projects at my flogger-making friend's place. Then the myrrh comes in, dragging the amber behind it.

On me, it makes me smell like a boy in leather. I like such things a great deal, but I am not myself a sexy leather-clad gentleman.

Hmm. I had a lot of hope for this one. Sadly, I can't carry it off. To the swaps! I have Tezcatlipoca for my domme side, I guess.

I wasn't sure I liked this when I first put it on this morning before leaving for work. It was a random pick from the imps I got in my latest order.

Some of the leather scents have not appealed to me once they're on my skin, but this one proved to be an exception. The leather softened considerably as the day went on, allowing the amber and musk to warm up. All in all this ended up blending notes very well after a couple of hours. It makes me think of a very active, very warm room, where you're only really comfortable if you're in somewhat brief clothing and, er, sweating a bit. :P

I'll likely buy a 10ml for myself when I order again.

Warm leather and rich, spicey ambers. Loviatar is a powerful, sexual blend.

The first time I wore this, my boyfriend kept commenting how sexy it smelled. Leather notes seem to love my skin, and this is no exception. The musks and ambers blend to make a sophisticated complexity that keeps Loviatar from being too heavy, or overly masculine.

On my skin, the leather warms up and tones down, while the spicey amber notes continues to sweeten. Very sexy.

In Bottle: Leather

On Skin: Wow! This is sexy! I love this scent, it is so rich and unique. It does “slap” you in the face! I like it better than Whip, it’s more elegant in a weird way. I love amber and musk and the myrrh adds even more rich depth. This is sultry and seductive. I can’t imagine anyone not liking this scent… A keeper for sure! I even like it more than Wanda and that’s saying a lot!!

leather is an iffy note for me. when i put on DeSade, i smelled like a slaughter house :D, but i can wear Wanda, Perversion and Tezcatlipoca beautifully. in those, the leather note is what it's meant to be, and just *gorgeous*.

i had high hopes for Loviatar. i love myrrh, and was curious about the rest. dark, rich scents are a favorite.

sadly for me, the leather in Loviatar gets amped up beyond belief right into the slaugterhouse that DeSade lives in.

that's OK though. i have 5 ml of Wanda on it's way to me :P

n.

Hmm, well I think this makes it official... I like myrrh. Leather isn't a note that I look for in scents, but it doesn't do anything weird here, so that's good. Sometimes leather smells too masculine for me, but not in this case. This is a very warm scent. It's a slightly spicy body type scent.

I probably don't need any more like this, but I just can't send it away. I'll have to make some room for it somewhere.

i love the leather in this - it's really "present" - and it's a dark, smoky leather, like a leather armchair which has soaked up the smoke from an old, smoky gentleman's club.

the amber sweetens things up pretty quickly...a warm sweetness akin to warm, flushed skin. pretty sexy.

there's something "baby oil"-ish in here - i think amber does that on my skin sometimes, and i wish the myrrh was stronger - it only peaks out as an under-note.

all in all, i get mostly smoky leather, and sweet amber - a bit like leather dipped in baby oil, though i know that sounds weird. as long as the baby oil smell doesn't annoy me too much, i can see myself really enjoying loviatar, when i'm in a sexy mood.

Leather and I don't really agree. The only other leather scent I've tried so far was Perversion, which smelled delicious in the imp but really made me sick to my stomach when I applied it. This doesn't make me ill, but it smells like stinky old band-aids. I don't normally go for such heavy scents, so even while it smelled better in the imp than when it was on me, it's not my type.

I'm pretty much getting all leather with this. Its almost exactly like Dead Man's hand on me. I get a touch of myrrh that sweetens it and a little bit of amber to add a powdery like tone to it, but mostly, its just leather. I'm kind of iffy on leather.

This is my new OMFG scent. I immediately LOVE it. It reminds me of Bvlgari's Black, which is a smokey tea scent, and is the only commercial perfume still on my vanity. It is rich, a little sweet, and dark. I doesn't' smell like a leather jacket like some leather scents do. It is raw, sophisticated, exotic, and sexy. Definitely on the big bottle list.

+ LOVIATAR +

In the bottle: English Leather colongne...

Wet: YUM! Hot leather is right!! Very Sexy :P

Dry down: This just gets sexier by the minute! I still get the leather but the amber is what is coming out for me. After about 10 minutes or so, I am getting almost a leathery/ woodsy type smell with just a hint of sweetness...

Conclusion: This is very sexy! I am really liking this but as good as it is, I think it will be even better on my DH! Great Throw! Good wear!

In the Bottle: Hot, Spicey and Raw. I can deffinately see a Domme wearing this while I lick her boots. *blush*

Wet: Thick, sexy and woodsy. *sighs* Another leather scent that hates me.

Drydown: Still hates me =/

Oh. My. Gods. When I smelled this on my skin the first time, my eyes literally rolled back in my head. Instant favorite. This is so, so sexy. :P

This was a frimp with my last order (thankyouthankyouthankyou), and certainly not among the first imps I reached for during my new order testing-and-sniffing frenzy. I smelled it in the imp and thought, "Hmm, earthy. Not bad," and put it back in the box.

Once on my skin, I smell warm, sweet, earthy myrrh with a subtle-but-present undercurrent of leather. After it has a chance to dry down and warm on my skin, the red musk comes through and (wonder of wonders) makes this blend even more sexy. I was certain that red musk didn't work on me because of my truly unpleasant experience with Scherezade, but the red musk in Loviatar is different. . .hot, musky, a little incense-y, assertive without being cloying, and not a stale cigarette butt in sight! I never get amber, but even though amber is one of my favorite notes, I don't really miss it. This blend is perfect.

I think I need to go find a six-foot-tall woman in a corset to swipe this on, and then let her pull my hair and smack me around for a while. Or maybe I'll wear it out myself and just go smack the boy around.

This from a girl who was certain she couldn't wear leather, myrrh, or red musk. Go figure.

Frimp from the Lab. Thanks, guys! Mistress of torture and goddess of dominatrixes? I hope you're not implying anything. :P

Heady spice is the first thing I smell, and it's different from the other heady spices I've come across - a bit antiseptic, but I can get past that. I don't smell the leather at all, in the bottle or on my skin - I get more of the doctor's office antiseptic smell. Not Band-Aids, but ... bandages. And a medicine cabinet full of antiseptic solution and whatever else they keep in there. My mom's a doctor and I should be used to this smell by now, and I am, but I don't know that I'd want to go around smelling like antiseptic wound care ointment. Sweet antiseptic wound care ointment, but still.

3.5/10 ... this dominatrix ain't for me.

I wore this yesterday. It was a freebie from the lab, but I'd been thinking of trying it. I don't quite know why I decided to wear it to work, either...it' very, very sexy, in a powerful woman way.

It was leathery yet feminine, with the sweetness of the amber underlying it. I can't think of what myrrh smells like off the top of my head, but nothing smelt funny to me in this blend at all. Just very sexual and yummy.

The boy liked it too. Definitely a keeper for me, especially when I want to feel hot and sexy, as opposed to slinky and sensual. I might try it on the hubby, too - it might work really well on him.