Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loviatar

The Finnish Goddess of Agony, Torment and the joy found in inflicting pain on others. The Mistress of Torture, she has transformed in the modern era into the patron Goddess of Dominatrixes. The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

I don't know why I put this one off for so long. My favorite scent is Wanda, and it's not surprising that Loviatar is soon to ranked right up there. Definitely 10mL bottle worthy, along with my Wanda. I was going to order the limited editions tomorrow along with the lunacy oil, but I am willing to forsake all five of those oils just to get a 10mL of Loviatar.

On my initial wearing, this reminded me of that worn suede jacket, or maybe the aviator style jacket. That soft feeling, the same you get with well-worn faded broken-in denim. Comforting, like snuggling in with someone. It evokes many of the same feelings I get with Le Petit Mort and Haunted, that undeniably sexy feeling of someone comfortable in their own skin, rather than the primped up sex kitten. I don't find the leather to be sharp at all, not even in the bottle. This one stays fairly true to the bottle, but morphs ever so slightly to a much warmer, inviting fragrance that lingers on the skin much longer than many of the others.

I am in love. I may be missing the dominatrix image this was supposed to evoke, but that doesn't make this any less sexy.

Loviatar

Exceedingly dark and musky, sexual - yes, but in a brutal manner. This may indeed be the scent of a dominatrix. A thick leather note comes in and this feels distinctly male on my skin, the same way that Jolly Roger did, it must be the leather.

I had to wash it off, it just didn't work for me. This was a freebie from the lab. Oh well, I gave it a shot and it didn't work. Off to the swap-pile it goes.

Hot sweet leather. Loviatar feels as though it’s radiating heat from me.... Oh. Oh my. This is ‘hand me that whip and bend over’ sexy. On me, it’s a mix of three of my favourite of Beth’s blends: Spellbound and Lust (in which red musk also stars) and Lilith (black musk and myrrh) but with a lash of leather and the amber and myrrh providing a definite backbone. The leather clings just beautifully to me and the red musk pushes the scent out into the air (like it does in Spellbound). I was surprised to get a couple of very favourable “Oooh, what are you wearing?” from men too. I didn’t think I could do leather, but I can certainly do this one. Loviatar was love at first sniff, and unquestionably, full bottle worthy for me.

PS: Lasting power is brilliant – lasts through a shower and if I put it on before bed, it’s still there (albeit lightly) in the morning. It might be the red musk that helps it stick, as Spellbound does a similar thing on me.

I got this imp as a freebie, definatley not something I would order on my own! Loviatar scares me, she loves torture and vengance. :P I reluctantly put on her perfume and fell hard in love with this scent. This is confidence & superiority. I put this on when I am feeling the whip of life at my back, and it gives me strength. Its a heavy dark scent the leather and black amber feel dominant in this, its very long lasting, you don't need alot. I feel like if I would slather myself in this it would cause a scent overdose since it is so strong. This has become my favorite Black Phoenix Scent so far. :D

Like Donnababe, I seem to have problems with blends containing Beth's leather note. Initially, I get a blast of red musk (yum yum), maybe a tiny bit of myrrh and leather. As it settles down, the red musk disappears and the myrrh component becomes a bit stronger and of course the leather is still there. The final drydown is black amber goodness and again, leather.

I adore red musk, myrrh and amber, so it's a bit of a shame that the leather note (which bothers my nose somewhat) reigns supreme over every note and phase of Loviatar.

This one goes right off to the boyfriend. Sexy sexy sexy, but a little too masculine for me despite it being a "goddess" scent. Leather, hard and slick is in the bottle, but this goes on spicey and full of myrhh and musk. Spicey but not a cinnamon spice, dead sexy and dominating and confident.

Oh yes I must smell this on Jake. must must must. purr.

This is just amazing. :P

I hate the smell of leather jackets and I am a vegetarian, so I really didn't expect to like Loviatar. But whilst I can smell that it is leather-inspired, thankfully Loviatar doesn't smell anything like a leather jacket to my nose. :D

Instead it smells warm, quite masculine and it works really well on my skin.

In both Tintagel and Jolly Roger there was something lurking which I really, really liked but wasn't able to pinpoint.

Now I have tried Loviatar I have identified the delicious mystery note as leather.

In the vial it smells wonderfully complex, and inviting. It's almost fusty smelling, like a man's clothes. (In the best possible way!)

On my skin it warms up into a deliciously cosy scent.

I have two imps of this, and one is much sweeter than the other.

I think I prefer the sweeter imp which is alot heavier on the musk and amber, but both versions are divine.

I will be buying 5ml of this as son as I can lay my hands on some money.

This is a great unisex scent, as the amber and musk are perfectly balanced with the bold leather scent.

This is also the only BPAL scent that I have loved which has serious staying power.

At the moment this is my signature scent, it would take something spectacular to knock it off the top-spot.

I fully intend to try De Sade and Severin as soon as possible! :D

Edited by Pookstrell

I had high hopes for this one, as I love the idea of leather in a scent, but De Sade was too much for me and I thought that since Loviatar is more of a blend it would work better.

Alas, it seems as though my body chemistry really likes leather - heh heh - because even in this one, it smells mostly of leather to me both in the vial and on.

The leather does soften and fade a bit and the amber, musk and myrhh (all of which I love) become more prominent after about an hour or two, but not quickly enough or prominently enough for me to really like it. It's not unbearable, just not what i was hoping for.

I sent it as a freebie with some other imps to a fellow bpaler so hopefully it will find a good home.

Loviatar

I got this as a lab freebie (thank you!) and after reading the notes, was a big scardey cat and held off trying her out until yesterday.

In the bottle:

sort of Tintagelly, which makes sense as they share the leather note. I'm not picking up the other notes yet, though.

Wet:

LEATHER. Whoa. I vascillate between liking and disliking this smell. Today is a dislike day. The oil seems thicker than other blends I've tried. I tried to apply a little less then my standard amount (one swipe shared between the wrists, another swipe curliqued along the neck and collarbones), but I still seem to have been heavy handed with the application.

Drydown:

Still predominantly leather. She's assertive, bossy, and a little bit scary!

Later:

this scent lasted all day, but had an interesting split-personality at the end of the day. I was still strongly wafting the LEATHER note, but up close, my wrists were just warm, comforting amber and myrrh. Interesting effect.

Conclusion:

I've figured out that I am not a leather person. I'll still wear Tintagel on occasion because of the berry/herbal counterpoint to the leather (and my Arthur-o-philia), but this scent is too distracting and just not me for usual, or even special occasion use.

This particular imp was gifted to a friend of mine for her birthday. She's whip-smart, assertive, and loves to make the men (and women) squirm. I think she'll love it.

I definitely smell the leather, amber and .... myrrh. Which doesn't get along with me. :P This is where my lovehate relationship with myrrh begins.. I enjoyed Loviatar much more than its sister scents (Perversion and Wanda, in my own method of classification). If it didn't have myrrh, it would have been a lovely and nostalgic kind of scent on me. This is one of the scents that changed characteristics by the minute. At first it was leather and amber, .. I waited about 10 minutes and the scent reached its beauty climax. But the longer I waited, the more myrrhey it became... and the beloved amber dropped off.

I got an imp of this from tempete. :P

First sniff:

Oh my God, this is gorgeous! It smells quite similar to the new formulation of Hellfire to my nose. I can smell the leather quite clearly and, if I didn't know better, I'd swear there was tobacco in this, too. I'm guessing it must be the combination of leather and myrrh I'm smelling and confusing with pipe tobacco, although it really does smell like the kind my grandpa used to smoke. This scent is sexy, no doubt about it. :D

Wet on skin:

Mmm, slightly sweet, spicy leather. This is so sexy! I was a bit worried about whether or not I'd like this blend, but I'm glad I tried it. I have a feeling this would make a great scent on a guy, as well. It's a strong, confident scent that demands that you be paid attention to, and I love it. For someone like me with low self-esteem, every little bit of confidence boosting helps. :D

Dry down:

Spicy leather. I love this scent. I'm going to have to try it on the boy next...if it smells half as good on him as it does on me, I'll be in heaven. :D

The bottom line:

Sexy, spicy leather with a hint of sweetness. Thankfully the amber doesn't ruin this one for me. This is an instant winner for me, definitely a confidence booster and one I'll most likely wear when I need to indulge in my dominatrix side. :D

I got this as a freebie from wolfie13 :P

In the bottle this smells so leathery and warm. I swiped once, and apparently that was too much. The myrrh has taken over. Don't get me wrong, I love myrrh, but I was hoping for more leather in this one. It stays strong and overwhelmingly myrrh throughout the entire experience. I wonder if i just layered it with De Sade....hmm. Nope, I think I am gonna have to watch out for myrrh in future imps.

Oh, well. :D

I have to preface this by saying that I don't do leather. Not that leather is a scent that I dislike--it's just one of those notes that I don't actively like.

When I first apply this, this is the smell of the inside of a well-worn leather jacket (sniffing the part that's still leather). It's warm and there's a bit of musk, but not unpleasant musk--more subtle, like body heat. There's something slightly spicy (I say slightly, because it's spicy in the sense that the scent is warm) in the background. It makes me think of nutmeg, but it's probably the myrrh (I have no idea what myrrh smells like, though). In fact, it's sort of like Tintagel with leather.

After an hour, this isn't so warm and comforting. Loviatar has become “sharper.” However, this phase passes in less than half an hour, and it's back to the original warm, leather scent. It stays in that phase, except that the leather fades, as does the rest of the scent, but it seems more like the leather is fading, because the leather is the core of the scent.

ETA: I actually like this scent, and I'll probably keep the imp around for several more wears (it takes a lot for me to keep an imp).

Edited by malanna

This was a giftie imp.

Wet I can really smell the leather but it quickly settles down to where I can still smell the leather but it takes a back seat to a very dry dusty smell (maybe the myrrh?). On me it smells like a leather sofa in a hot attic. If I put my nose to my wrist I can catch the faintest whiff of something spicy but it's just hanging in there like a fading memory. Alas. This is too masculine for me. I think I would enjoy the leather scent if it were a touch sweeter or a little spicier.

At first, it was a very light musky scent... then I could smell the leather, and it was getting stonger...

Then it turned soapy... very strong soapy scent :P

I really hate what my body does to lovely scents sometimes!

This was an extra imp from the lab, and I was thrilled they included it. I love the notes and the description and I was SURE it'd smell incredible.

and it does, in the bottle.

As usual, my skin chemistry just does not want to play nicely with some oils. I don't know what note set my body off, but Loviatar morphed into cheap motel soap. Ew. Nothing sexy about it on me, sadly.

I will try you again, you wicked scent. And please, for the love of god, whip my body into submission and make it like you! :P

i thought i would love this. all of the notes were right. the only thing i was scared of was it turning into powder because of the combination of myrrh, amber, and musks, but it was a chance i was willing to take. ;P

so, i put this on, and the leather just screams its masculine head off. it doesn't stop, either. the amber, musks, and myrrh huddle together in the corner, cowering at the leather. seriously, leather, go away. if i wanted a single note of leather, i would wear de sade.

alas, it was not meant to be, you and i. i was going to give you to my boyfriend, but he told me if i ever made him smell like a dead cow, he'd break up with me.

I have a lovely imp of this blend. I definately think that this blend suits men. It's rather strong and very musky. There is a woodsy smell here as well. It's definately not for the girly girl in me...

In the bottle: Smells like a head shop! Not what I expected, but let's see what happens upon application.

Wearing: Hmm. Why am I thinking a darker, more dominant Blood Kiss? I think it must be the musk, but I swear there's vanilla here too. No matter, I likes it! The leather is there, but it's not the most prominent note. Musk is there, as is the amber keeping it sweet, but no myrrh so far.

Later: This is SEX! Oh my, I need a cold shower. The leather has faded into the background, and the amber is right there in my face, scowling and making googly eyes at me simultaneously. Oh yeah, it's hot. The myrrh has finally come out. On me this note always blends perfectly with whatever it's mixed with, and this is a perfect example.

Final verdict: Good throw, nice lasting power (hasn't faded a bit after a few hours of wear), a wonderful scent--an overall winner. This is probably number three on my list. While it's not number one, this works wonderfully with my personality. This will definitely be the scent I wear when I want to feel extra sexy or assertive.

In the Bottle: Leather, but darker. This is evil leather! *shiver* Definately a "lick my boot" leather.

On Me: *shiver* Leather, warm and *shiver* oooh so good. Have I told you guys that I really like leather? I mean really, really, really like leather?

Slinking off now....must wait till hubby gets home....

Sigh. I'd really wanted to like this one, as I love the smell of leather, but this one goes into the pile of blends that just didn't work for me.

At first, I thought it would work, but just be too strong....but after a few minutes, it just turned stinky on me.

:P

bottle: smelles leather like, and incensy

wet: wow! this is powerful! alomost gave me a headache but its calming down abit. Strong, resinous incense

dry: hot leather, and smoky air....i can definitely picture a Luis Royo or Boris Vallejo print of Loviatar in a wicked black leather dom outfit, surrounded by fire, brimstone and bodies writhing in agony. My goddess. Ill keep the imp for devotional purposes, but ill not be gettting a big one.

In the bottle: Incense. I don't know if it's myrrh or amber that makes me wrinkle my nose up and think of hippie stores. I know patchouli makes me react that way, but I'm allergic to that except in the smallest quantities. I don't smell any leather in this just...maybe it's the musk. But it's incense.

Wet: Myrrh. Myrrh and leather. I like leather scents. I just don't usually like them on me, which is why this was one of the boy's picks. Lots of leather here with...and I don't know if it's myrrh or the musk but something else is behind it making my throat prickle because leather does not usually do that. But the leather still sits in the front of this nicely.

Dry down: Leather still. Leather with that note behind it that makes my throat feel a little funny. Probably the myrrh or the musk. I have problems with both. Well, some musks. The darker one usually. White and I mix together very nicely. And I've never been good at pulling the black amber out of anything so I don't know if it's that or not. The other note has faded away and now this just smells like I have DeSade on, which I don't need more of as I can't wear it and the boy has a 5ml. The rest of the scents have disappeared into the background of this, and there is little throw on me.

Dry: DeSade. Leather. Nothing else. Maybe a hint of the other notes in the background, but the leather is overpowering everything else on my skin. Oh well. The boy will probably like this one so I'll toss it at him.

Okay, it seems as though I must make Loviatar my first review, since it's she who led me to BPAL.

I can't smell the leather that everyone is raving about, but to my nose Loviatar is spicy, sexy and powerful. Just as she should be. I love this fragrance - I feel strong and confident wearing it. And on the boy, it's amazing. Just incredible. It feels very female on me, and just as unabashedly male on him. Mmm.

Wow.....pure SEX :D

I can definitely smell the leather in this one - warm leather as well as all the other blends. On my skin I it smells really orgasmic :P like hot sex in the summer when your skin is all sweaty and sweet......when it drys down on my it smells sort of spicy/musk and a little bit of sweet.....myrrh maybe?? I am ordering a 5 ml. of this one as soon as I can!!