Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loviatar

Loviatar

The Finnish Goddess of Agony, Torment and the joy found in inflicting pain on others. The Mistress of Torture, she has transformed in the modern era into the patron Goddess of Dominatrixes. The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

orange-brown oil

frImp (Thank you!) : Smells like a department store brand mans cologne. A bit grainy.

Skin: The leather is the main note. The amber makes it warm and faintly sweet, the musk makes it smoky, and the myrrh makes it a bit woody.

It's very leather, but not a manly leather. Smells like a womans leather.

Later the leather fades and the myrhh and musk take over. Its very dry in the end.

Its quite powerful, smells tough and resiny.

Unlike Wanda, this is a hardcore dominatrix. She's there to inflict the pain, and its for her pleasure, not his.

In the imp: Sweet leather, red musk & myrrh

On skin: Wow! This is HOT. This is unashamadly sexy. If you thought Smut was slutty think again. Downright angry sex :P . This is dark leather, musks & a deep amber on me. Much darker than in the imp on me.

Overall: I'm so undecided over this one & whether to get a bottle. I like it but then I wonder if it smells a little masculine. I might try wearing it out and see what others think & whether it smells too manly but oh it is sexy! I might try to sweeten her up with a combo. Maybe snake oil? But overall I still think this is great :D

I really want to find a leather scent, and with the amber I knew this was one I had to try.

In the imp: a sharp chemical tang (I got the same note from Wanda in the imp, so am pretty sure it's the leather).

Wet: Leather. Hard, stiff boot leather. I was fairly happy about this because the only other leather I've tried, I didn't get any leather from, and I was a little worried my skin was just going to eat it up ~ not that I would have complained about getting amber, musk, and myrrh, but I really wanted some leather, you know?

Dry: The amber doesn't come to the forefront like it usually does for me, but it does soften the leather, turning the stiff leather biker boots into supple thigh boots warmed by the body heat of the woman wearing them. Or the lingering scent of leather on the skin once the boots have been removed. I like. It's warm and dark, and very sexual.

I wasn't sure my personality could handle such a Domme fragrance, but wearing this I feel ready to take on whatever. It's certainly not something I'll wear all the time, but when the time is right, it's exactly what I want to wear.

It smells like a burning electrical system on a car with a leather interior when it first goes on. this ages to leather and burned insulation with cheap sugar candy. Eeew.

The Lab has a few scents that make me think, "Dirty leather". This is one of them. I don't mean dirty like unwashed, necessarily. It's more like......raw and sexy, kind of dangerous. The leather is a little strong for me to wear this a lot. Honestly this reminds me somewhat of Torture King, but darker and more dangerous.

I like the mood of this but the leather comes across a little strong on me. I'm not sure I'd wear it all that much. I think leather works better on me when I can barely detect it, like in Count Dracula and Doc Constantine.

Loviatar shares something in common with Coyote and also "English Leather" by Dana (neither of which I like). I think it must be the leather note... a brown leather, when I was hoping for black leather. Loviatar has that same cloyingly sweet heaviness that they both have. Later something... black licorice-like? surfaced. There is something attractive here, but I'm not sure this is going to work out.

Edit: tried it again later and definitely do not like this. Joins Wanda and Iago as scents that broke my heart. Thankfully De Sade still loves me!

Initial Impression: leather and myrrh

On Wet: leather, musk, myrrh, hint of amber. Wow.. This is sexy stuff!

On Dry: leather and musk.

Final Impression: Sex in a bottle. I want many bottles of this!

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 5!

In the imp: mainly leather, with a hint or musk and myrrh.

Wet on skin: spicy, resinous leather.

Drydown: very strong leather note in this - so strong that the red musk doesn't get a chance to take over. When I wear this normally, as opposed to simply spotting it on my wrist to test it, the musk is a bit more apparent, and the whole effect is of a more balanced blend.

Red musk tends to get very, very loud on my skin; this is one of a very few blends in which it stays in check. The leather note is dominant and persistent, but this is nowhere as near to a single note as, say, DeSade. Leather strikes me as a very masculine note; Whip was gross on me, Wanda was too sweet, DeSade is the only BPAL I have tried yet that is too stereotypically masculine for me to feel uncomfortable wearing it in public. This is a much more feminine, wearable leather.

This is my "thou shalt not f*ck with Morrea for I am indestructible" scent :P I adore this blend, and I must have a bottle!

Wow. My first six imps finally arrived in the mail today and I was so excited to try one. When I opened the Loviatar vial, I was instantly drawn to the depth of the scent.

First five minutes: smells very woody on my skin.

Within an hour: woodiness melts into notes of musk, leather, and myrrh.

This is a great fall/winter scent.

The impression I get from Loviatar is more leather jacket than dominatrix -- a very nice scent. This is the first blend with leather that I have tried where I actually smell the leather note. I get a strong resin scent with the leather, also.The scent clings close to the skin from the beginning, though that may be because it's a fairly cold day.

It's not me, but I'm glad I tried it. It is definitely an androgynous scent (at least since women started wearing biker boots and leather jackets :P ) and well worth a try on DH.

Oh, now THIS is interesting.

Wet on my skin, I'm smelling strong leather, and what must be the myrrh, with musk down behind that. Definitely not for the frilly femmes, this. It's a bit masculine, which is something I like. There's a slight spiciness to it too, which may simply be that it's wet; might disappear as it dries.

Throw is not extreme. Don't know what's up with my skin and 'throw' lately -- I don't seem to project any of these scents much, unless they dry down to soapiness and then they have throw like whoa.

There's a bitter edge to it that I'm digging. Sweet and fruity often leaves me a bit cold. This is like... the Anti-fruit.

The myrrh is very powerful in this. Myrrh must be producing the bitter edge I'm liking so much. Ye gods but this is a butch perfume! This is what you wear when you're going out hunting for a woman and you happen to be female. Unless you're female and you happen to be hunting for a male bottom. Either one works.

In other words, this is spot-on for a dominatrix, or a very strong woman who's cruising for a hook-up. Still spicy, throw has increased. Warm and sexy. A little TOO sexy for daily wear for me, but definitely a keeper and a future big bottle. :P This is real good.

Bottle: Leather and musk

Wet: So masculine! Very dark musk and angry leather! It makes me feel warm and comfy, actually. Will try it on my husband later!

Drydown: Kind of spicy and sexy, and not as scary and dominating as it was earlier.

3.0 outta 5

Mmmm. I really like this one- hot, spicy leather, with more throw than a lot of things have on me. It smells heavy, heavier than almost anything else I wear, but it'll be good for going out. The leather is definitely present the whole time it's on, blended with spiciness that I think is the myrrh. I don't really get musk here, but I don't mind. I definitely love this and will use my imp when I'm going clubbing- at some point, I'll get a bottle but I don't know when.

In the bottle: Amber, leather and musk. sexay

On Me: This is a little strange to explain. It's sort of on the line for me: It almost becomes a cologne scent, and yet I feel it is feminine. Musk and leather give it bite. The amber and myrrh warm it up. This is such a sexy and strong scent to me. I wear it when I mean business, or when I need to borrow strength. A definite favourite.

I got this as a frimp from my last lab order. When I opened it initially, it smelled very light, kind of like a weak kid sister of snake oil. Same when I applied it the first time. I didn't like it all that much, but I'm always willing to give things a second chance before putting them into the box of unloved and unwanted imps.

That second chance was today. Normally, red musk is my best friend in the world, and there's a touch of red musk smell in the imp. So I put it on my wrist, just a dab, and leather beat the hell out of my friend. Then it beat the hell out of my nose, and I had to wash it off. Soap didn't kill it, so I broke out the rubbing alcohol.

Off to swaps with you, you vile thing.

This was a frimp from my last lab order, and when I opened it after I first got it, the leather was way to stiff, new, and sharp. I've learned, though, that first impressions aren't necessarily the last ones with regards to these scents, though.

Today I wore Loviatar all day long (I in fact just wore it on my wrist, swiping it around in a ring like a leather bracelet) and it was lovely. The leather had mellowed to the point where it was lovely high-quality new leather, and apparently red musk and I get along quite well. I've got I think three BPALs total with red musk in it, so that at least I can sniff, look at the description, and go "Oh, okay. Red musk." Loviatar definitely has staying power, but the longest part of the drydown was the myrrh and what I assume is black amber, as everything turned slightly sweeter and maybe an eensy bit powdery (but in a good way) over the lingering leather.

(Octopod) Amber hates me. I know this for a fact. It always gets this weird sour-funky smell about it. Red (or black) musk also turns into baby powder. So why did I try this one? Because I'm an absolute sucker for leather and myrrh. In other words, this one's pretty much a tossup.

The verdict: It starts out blasting musk (the way it should smell) and leather. But after 5 minutes it's funky baby powder, and stays that way. No myrrh, ever. Woe is me. >_< I'll give it to Kalirren and see what it smells like on him, though, because amber DOESN'T hate him.

Frimped from the lab!

Being a switch (except I'm not 50-50, I'm more like 95% top, 5% bottom), you'd think this would be a scent I'd want to wear when topping someone.

In the imp it hits you first with a supple leather scent but quickly the amber and musk creep in to round out the bottom. Except they are fairly sweet instead of being dark and musky dirty.

On my skin it smells pretty much the same as in the imp while it's wet. Then as it dries, it's still sweet and turns a little powdery. I'm getting leather - powdery amber - musk - sweet - leather - spice? - sweet.

It's a nice smell but it isn't dark or dirty enough to make me think of topping. It reminds me more of what I thought Coyote would smell like, if he were a well washed house Coyote. Sweet furry leather with a bit of musk and sweet amber.

In the imp: Sweet powder and myrrh.

On wet: Sweet powder and myrrh - maybe a touch of wood.

Drydown: Leather and woodsmoke for a good while, then...smoked powder. Bleh. The red musk never showed, either.

Overall: Evil powder scent = not for me. Amber never fails to disappoint on my skin, and myrrh's becoming more and more troublesome for some reason. This blend pulls a 2/5, thanks to my wannabe Dominatrix chemistry. :P

Unsure about this one. It is a very dark and sensual leather scent but on the downside the red musk does not show and myrrh and black amber have the tendency to degenerate to powder very quickly.

The upside really is that this is the first BPAL where the leather note really comes out on me and stays, in all the other leather scents I tried so far it gets beaten into submisson. But yeah, this is dominatrix leather. Unfortunately the dominatrix has used too much powder today to squeeze into her tight leather outfit :P

I will still be keeping it.

A frimp from the lab.

In the imp, It just smelled like perfume...which may be an odd thing to say, but, I was reminded of testing my mom's scents back when I was 11 or so. I can't pick anything out.

Drying, on me, I begin to pick out the resins.

Dry on me, amber(I think. My nose is still learning) mostly, with some myrrh, and maybe a background whiff of other things that I can't quite make out.

So far, for every scent that I have tried, my skin has amped the resins or incense over all the other notes. I really need something to kick that amber back into the background on this one.

Two hours later, the whole scent is much fainter. Apparently the amber got the message, and I think I can smell...musk?...maybe some leather. Overall, the scent two hours in isn't very strong, but, it seems to be better balanced. The question is if I can stand the time between application and this stage enough to actually wear it much.

My husband says he likes this one better than last night's experimental imp(Goblin) because this one is fainter. I asked him if he could smell anything in particular, and he said, "Nope, just perfume. I have a guy nose." He really does believe that perfume and smells are a girl turn on more than a guy thing.

Edited by Aerinha

In Vial: Strong perfume, a bit manly

Wet: Even stronger. Smells like old perfume

Drydown: This is still strong perfume with a hint of wood.