Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of warm, glowing jack o’lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.

in the vial: VERY STRONG Yankee Candle Halloween smell. Ummm...

on my skin: WOW! Pumpkin pie. Sweet, creamy, spicy pumpkin pie. :P

...And that's all I got. LOL. There doesn't seem to be a whole lotta depth to this one...it's just...pumpkin pie. It's delicious, but I won't wear it very much. Too foody. I'll use it as a room scent when Autumn rolls around. :D

First sniff: Pumpkin pie drizzled with caramel! Sweet, spicy, bakery. Much younger and brighter than Samhain – there’s no mystery to this one, it’s pure holiday fun without the ritual.

Wearing: Just yum. Jack smells like a way-better version of a specific Yankee autumn candle – I think the one I'm thinking of is called Harvest. Warm, creamy pumpkin pie, far more spicy than sweet. It lasted a good long while at work. I like. :P

ADDED June 10: Jack II

First sniff: I don’t remember ever smelling the peach in the original Jack, but here it’s very prominent. Very fruity.

Wearing: Pumpkin and peach, with spices. I really like both versions of Jack.

This is a spicy, creamy scent that is pure pumpkin pie. Enough said, really! I can't wear it as perfume (foody smells just make me feel hungry!) but it will make a fabulous room scent.

This would be perfect when selling a house - put this in the oilburner! :P Warm, comforting smells agogo.

This smells exactly like a Spiced Pumpkin Yankee Candle I used to have - and exactly as it sounds, sweet pumpkin with light spices.

I am not usually averse to foody scents, nor do I find this unpleasant, but I just don't feel that it is something I'd want to wear. I think it is the slightly synthetic tone that I find offputting.

I might use it in my oil burner as a room scent though, it is pretty yummy, just not on me!

One thing's for certain, I should never smell this on an empty stomach again!

In the bottle, Jack is pumpkin bread! Mmm! It really makes me want to go on a baking spree. I can't smell the peach at all, but lots of nutmeg and pumpkin. Instead of giving me thoughts of Halloween, it gives me Thanksgiving thoughts where for breakfast I usually make a pumpkin bread loaf.

On me, there's the peach! I can only smell it if I put my nose to my wrist. Other than that, its still very pumpkin bread, but the peach is starting to come out a lot more. In fact, the peach is now overtaking the pumpkin bread smell until the pumpkin is just an afternote. Could it be that Jack is a lot more complex than I thought when I first smelled it?

Oh my goodness this is lovely! Definately a big bottle for me!

Sniffing the Imp from Tesseljoan made me fall in love with Jack immediatly!

And .... Tessel gave her imp to me, thanks hun, that was so kind!! :D

This IS the perfect autumn scent, and all what is autumn is mine :D

In Holland we have not much of a halloween tradition(although it's starting to become more popular) so I have no idea how pumkinpie/bread/mouse should smell like but if it smells like Jack, oh yum!

Makes me think of long walks in fall, storm and a warm fireplace, blankets and spicy cake.

Hope it will not change much because 5 ml is going to be orderd with the Harvest Moon!

ETA: today i received the 5 ml, and to my suprise... it didn't change at ALL, but I have not really a fine nose like some of you have, I often cannot even detect a note in scent :D

so I stay with the text above...love, love love!! :P

Edited by quinkel

Okay, this is my first review, so please be kind...

In the bottle: I got a spicy wax smell. The wax was predominant. On the other hand, when my husband smelled it, he immediately said, "Buttered popcorn! Movie theater popcorn!" I have no idea where he got that. Heh.

Wet: The wax smell is still there, but it's fading. And I got hit with a peach.

Drydown: It smells exactly like this spicy peach jam my grandmother used to make. Yummy.

Later: Still spicy peach, though now it's more spicy peach mousse instead of jelly - it's become creamy, somehow. Still yummy, and it's lasting.

I didn't get a single hint of pumpkin, oddly enough. Must be my body chemistry.

I guess this is Jack II, but I'm not really sure.

In the imp, this smelled very buttery - my husband said it smelled like buttered popcorn, too. :P On my skin, the butter doesn't come out except in a whiff now and then in the air around me - it's not there at all if I sniff my arm directly. Most of what I get when I smell this on my skin is spice - pumpkin pie spices, very very strongly. I think I smell the pumpkin a little bit, but what comes through the most is a strong spice.

I like this - it's warm and smells delicious. Unfortunately, it smells most delicious in the imp, and it doesn't seem to have much throw on me - but I really like it and would consider buying a bottle of it, eventually.

JACK! Oh JACK!

I received an IMP of this yesterday from the fabulous Kar120c! When I sniffed it the first time, I melted! My mouth watered. I put some on and felt...edible. This is the epitomy of a Fall evening right before Hallows Eve...when the apples have fallen to the ground and started decaying a bit...the leaves are crisp beneath your feet, and the lighted pumpkins are displayed on doorsteps (by the way, did you know that the Jack of Lantern tradition was started in Ireland and they used turnips instead of pumpkins...I'm quite pleased that this is an "ode to pumpkin" scent verses an "ode to turnip" scent!). I immediately ordered a 10ML bottle this morning so I can slather it on during the whole month of October. This will be my Halloween fragrance. I also secretly smile to myself that I am wearing the scent of "Jack" from one of my favorite movies, Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas. My hero!

I love this scent. When I first started ordering imps, I thought I'd really like the light floral blends, but was I wrong! I've been trying spicier more balanced blends and this one lives up to its description. I can smell some type of smokiness with the pumpkin and almost something like caramel apples. Also changed leaves and halloween candy. Love it!!

Today I put a bit of Jack on one wrist and a bit of Eclipse on the other and mingled them. Smells awesome! I find that if I put a bit down my sternum, my clothes lock the scent in during the day. If I just leave it on my wrists..it wears off by the end of the day.

Jack II

The new Jack is definitely for the foody types. It smells like butter initially. Everytime I open my imp I get a whiff of purified butter. It's also got a caramel smell, and of course pumpkin.

It smells like freshly made caramel corn mixed with roasted pumpkin seeds.

It lasts a good amount of time and when it dries on my arm I get more of a spicy pumpkin smell,

Quite fabulous.

I got Jack I - I think, since it had an old tag attached.

My partner thinks it's 'interesting' and noted the nutmeg when the parcel was opened remotely (I was online 3 miles away and eager for impses!!)

Oh! Bitter, burnt melting plastic :D If there were pumpkins in there, they must have been introduced to my own, hardly unique, style of cooking.

I dabbed my wrists in the hope that maybe I was being silly, but it stuck. I had to soap it off and get the rest off with witch hazel. I've never had this reaction to an imp before.

I really wanted to like Jack - it seemed perfect to have around at the onset of Autumn, but this smells burnt and nasty to me. There's something I can't place, but it's reminiscient of burnt parsnips or sweet potatos where the plastic baking tray has melted in the oven. I can get the spices, but they're way under the burnt note.

*sob*

And it came in a darling spherical vial too! Corked!! :D

That said, I'm totally up for sniffing Jack II. *assumes dopey labrador expression* I'm a glutton for something, and that something I suspect to be BPAL :P

Jack II

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone … and a little in the cleavage.

I thought Mabon would be the perfect day to test this scent.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This initially goes on very buttery – very buttery. After several moments, the nutmeg and pumpkin begin to surface. This is a very rich and creamy scent.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This maintains itself as a rich, creamy scent. It is quite thick. I can barely detect the clove under the pumpkin, but I can smell it there, mixing with the nutmeg. This certainly conjured images of baking pumpkin cookies. Very warm.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): I am surrounded by the warm, rich scent of autumn – the foody side of autumn. Thick, rich, creamy. Like walking out of the cool crisp air into a house where the cookies or cakes are being taken right out of the oven. The house if full of the scents from the kitchen – in this case, pumpkin, nutmeg, cloves – positively yummy. I can picture myself curled up on the couch, eating fresh baked goods and sipping on a cup of cinnamon tea – watching the leaves fall from the trees outside.

Hmmm … I wonder if I could spice this up a bit by layering it with Three Witches. Ooohhh … sounds like a phenomenal autumn scent. Mmmm … :P

This scent lasted all day – quite impressive. It is a little foodier than my tastes – so I’ll see how it works when I layer it. Definitely keeping the imp!

This review is for Jack 1. This on me smelled like burnt brown sugar and spices. That isn't bad just more of a home scent to me. I didn't get any pumpkin at all. i wish I had as I love the smell of pumpkin. Maybe my chemistry though . It did last a nice long time but I think I will be swapping it.

Kimberly

Mmm, buttery, fruity, creamy, spiced pumpkin pie. This is VERY sweet, in a candle sort of way. Far too cloying and headache-inducing for me to wear as a perfume, but boy does this make a fabulous room scent! It instantly gives my living room into a vibrant, homey atmosphere. Even just scenting the air, the intense sweetness sometimes threaten to make my back teeth ache, but mostly I just enjoy breathing in the warm aroma. This is lovely for fall.

:P

Jack II...

Wow, is all I can say! I had high hopes for this one, and it lived up to my expectations and then some! I am a lover of foody scents, and I think this is my holy grail of BPAL foody scents.

In the vial: Smells like a rich, buttery pumpkin pie. Very desserty!

Wet, on my skin: Smells like a rich, slightly spicy, creamy pumpkin cheesecake with something slightly fruity (peach?) in the background and stayed that way right through drydown.

When I tested this one today and had my husband sniff me he growled, pretended to be the Big Bad Wolf and said "The better to eat you with, my dear!"

What better reaction could I have wanted? :P

JackII is goooood.

In the vial, it's buttery like you've just baked up a pumpkin, cracked it open, and slathered butter and cinnamon on it. Yum! *bounces*

On me, the pumpkin and peach wage a war until peach is the winner, with pumpkin taking a backseat and almost giving a stale scent to the mix. The cinnamon is very, very light and just kind of sits there until it disappears.

I am in love! I have never smelled anything so pumpkin and creammy and delish! This is the best smelling pumpkin scent I have EVER smelled. I am soooo glad I ordered a 5ml unsniffed in my next order, cause I really want to wear this the next few months.

It is creamy, pumpkin with light spice. Just wonderful! Why cant everything smell like this in autumn? I love you BPAL for making the best oils in the world, for real. :P :D

Scent induced orgasm in a bottle...do I need to say more?

So, I opened this one up and instantly had to restrain myself from eating the imp. Holy hell it's delicious!! Deliciously creamy pumpkin with a delicate smattering of spice.

Doesn't change too much on my skin...a few other notes, like the spice, become more noticeable. The pumpkin still reigns supreme! Yay!!

It's really difficult not to eat my arm..even my boyfriend wants to eat me! And he doesn't usually get too excited about scents...so I guess Jack is a definite keeper!! Must get huge bottle and flood the house with its wonderful goodness!!!! :P

Scent induced orgasm in a bottle...do I need to say more?

You said it just exactly. JackII is both holy and divine. If I could stop smelling myself and then sighing long enough to thin, I might be able to formulate a quasi-helpful review. Right now all I can say is: "Good God, Beth, you're BRILLIANT." I smell so good. I have to go find something to mop up the drool with now, Pardon.

Jack I

I am a huge pumpkin fan, so I was really excited about trying Jack. In the vial, it smelled like strong, raw pumpkin, with a slightly bitter note somewhere in the background.

As soon as it touched my skin, the pumpkin magically turned into... burnt plastic. Damn.

I tried to wait for drydown to see if things were going to improve, but the burnt smell just kept intensifying, and this is how Jack I became one of the very few BPAL oils I had to go and wash off.

I am definitely going to try Jack II though, since the "burnt plastic" curse seems to have affected several people and everyone sound like they really enjoyed the new and improved Jack :P

I just got Jack II today in an order and it's wonderful :D Right out of the vial, I get a burst of caramel popcorn, just like Gluttony, but it quickly settles and the pumpkin, peach and spices come out. I was a little worried about the peach since fruits usually get too fruity on me, but in Jack, it just lends the right kind of sweetness so the pumpkin doesn't smell raw. I can actually smell the pumpkin and peach separately for a little while, but then everything blends together and I get that same pumpkin cookie aroma others have mentioned. It's the perfect autumn scent :P

Add me to the Burned Plastic group. (I assume I have Jack II since I just received it.) This smells gorgeous in the bottle - I swooned when I first sniffed it and immediately thought, "No matter what, this is going to work on me." Sadly, no. Something synthetic and unpleasant came from my skin where I applied it and I was just beginning to get a headache when I stepped in the shower and washed it off. I don't think I'm even going to try to layer this with anything because it does smell so good on its own that I don't want to risk wasting it. I'll just use it as a house scent.

I really liked Jack in his original glory, but I ADORE Jack in his new formulation!

First Impression: Creamy dreamy spiced pumpkin drizzled with hot caramel.

Second Impression: It's staying true to the glory in the bottle. I'm so happy right now. The longer it dries, a layer of warm peach pie comes out. Oh, this is so delicious, mood altering and wonderful.

Final Analysis: Yes, this is a holy grail autumn fragrance for me, as it's foody and not floral. Very good on the skin. I just added this to my bottle wish list. :P

I guess the Jack I have is Jack II since I just got it two weeks ago. I really really thought I would love this one but unfortunately it doesn't work with my body chemistry :P In the bottle it smells like rich melted butter- yummy! When I put it on it smells just like the inside of a raw pumpkin and a bit waxy- which I liked. That fades and then I get a very strong peach and mixed spices note. The peach is way too strong on me for about an hour. I almost washed it off. It smelled like cheap peach potpourri or peach tea but not in a good way. I kept hoping I would get the pumpkin pie/pumpkin bread notes but that didn't come through on me. The peach eventually faded and the spices came through more softly. This was a real bummer for me. Oh well, I guess that's what happens with body chemistry. So I will either use this to scent a bath or candles.