Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of warm, glowing jack o’lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.

In the bottle smelt very spicey and slightly buttery. On me it's a warm, spicy smell. The pumplin isn't overpowering, it kind of sits in the background while the nutmeg and clove take over. Still it all works well together. After a while, the pumpkin smells really fresh. I'm not sure if I'd like to wear it often, not really a foody smell person, but maybe another application will make up my mind. Edited by Shollin

I really wanted to love this one, as I adore pumpkin in all its forms (especially desserts!) but all I got was a sour, vinegary, chemical fake apple smell with a biting edge of sulfur. Worse, it had Samson-strong throw, and I couldn't get rid of it. It stayed around through multiple scrubbings with soap and wipe-downs with rubbing alcohol. Hours and hours of smelling like rotten cider and burning tires. Finally it faded enough that I was able to cover the worst of it with Snake Oil.

Not for me, obviously.

Warm, buttery foodiness, full of sweet pumpkin and spice. In the bottle and on my wrists, Jack makes me think of walking into a Yankee Candle store when they've just put out all of their fall scents. I like it a lot, but if you don't like homey, foody smells this is one to avoid. It smells more like a pumpkin pie-scented candle than pumpkin pie itself, but is one of my favorite scents to wear in the fall, and is one of my boyfriend's favorites on me anytime of year.

Jack is a spicy pumpkin scent from what I've been told, but the mere hint of spices seems overshadowed by the thick buttery note that seems to like my skin. Sadness.

Thanks to SevenSins for the imp.

Imp: Foody warmth and sweetness: buttery and sugary.

Skin: The butteryness that a lot of people get with this scent is not so prevalent to me once I put it on. The peach really comes through, and I've had nothing but good experiences with Beth's blends which contain peach.

Drydown: I get a great Fall-type evocation from Jack, but not so much Halloween or jack o'lantern. Just one of those warm rich cozy types of scents which make you think of hot drinks and hearty dishes. After a time I get a nice spicy edge, but it's not overly spicy on me. Jack is just the thing for crisp Fall days and nights which begin to take on a bit of a chill.

I'm so glad one of the classic BPAL scents works on me! :P

Edited by luna65

I got this as a frimp in a swap.

At first the pumpkin was VERY strong. Almost overpowering, which is saying a lot since I'm such a foodie.

Then it died down and the peaches cinnemon and spices came out. Oh I"m in autumn heaven. It reminds me of punkie night. So yay for a GC substitute!

I haven't tried them side by side, but they're close enough to keep me happy.

I haven't written a review about Jack yet? :P Goodness, where are my manners.

I owe Jack a lot. When I first started trying BPAL oils I saw that this had pumpkin in it and I thought, "GROSS! Who would want to smell like a pumpkin. That's disgusting." Then I got some in a swap or something and decided to be brave and give it a whirl.

So... who wants to smell like a pumpkin? ME. That's who.

I had no idea that in perfume the pumpkin note would be so creamy and rich. Pumpkin is my absolute favorite foody note. It's so much better than the vanillas and chocolates on my skin -- it never smells plasticy or too sweet or does that weird sour milk thing on me. I wouldn't call it a buttery scent per se, but it has the absolute smoothness of butter. Also it lasts for a long time.

Pumpkin and peach is a fabulous combination, and the spices keep it from smelling too decadently rich. The pure lusciousness of Jack is what led me to try the Pumpkin Patch scents, and I adore them all. I also love Pumpkin Queen.

Jack smells almost illegally good on me. It's definitely a favorite.

I love pumpkin and I was really excited about Jack.....until I tried it. It seems that there are those that Jack loves and those that Jack hates. I'm one of the latter. Jack literally turned my stomach when I sniffed it on my wrist; sickenly sweet pumpkin and rancid butter. Ew. So sad. :P

Oh, I was positive that I was going to fall in love with Jack. Sadly, it wasn't so.

It started off sickly sweet pumpkin with something slightly sour. As it dried, it smelled like a bad too sweet pumpkin/autumn candle. It actually turned my stomach.

I am so glad I didn't buy a bottle of this like I was tempted to.

Ah, finally found the thread, which I couldn't get through searching...

I wanted to love this, bought the 5 ml without trying it, and it makes me ill--boo! Disappointed! Far too sweet and yucky, too much like dirty socks with caramel spilled on them in some teenager's room...and it didn't improve on me over time...I'm glad that some others really love it, though... :P And am willing to trade or sell this, so will look to see how to post that too...

I got this as a freebie in my first decant circle. Let me tell you, I LOVE pumpkin. Like whoa. Cakes, breads, pies, candles, and scents, you name it.

Jack, however, is not for me. So sad.

In the bottle: Popcorn butter. Fake and greasy. NOT buttered popcorn, but the nasty stuff they put on there that makes it taste good and bad for you.

Wet: More of the same, but maybe a little spicier.

Dry: Cheap candles that I can't place...maybe pumpkin, but a little spicy.

Final thoughts: NO ONE that I had smell it, liked it. I was so sad too, cause I LOVE pumpkin everything. I was hoping for that really nice pumpkin bread/pie scent, or the smell of candles being burned in the pumpkin on Halloween night, but no such luck. C'est la vie.

I hear that different and possibly better pumpkin scents come out in October. Anyone like those ones?

Imp: Pumpkiny butter. It's really quite gross in the imp.

Wet: OMG. It's like two different scents entirely. This is sweet and appetizing. The pumpkin is hiding just under the peaches. It's sweet - not at all what I thought it would be like.

Drydown: Exactly like cider. It's like going to the apple gardens and picking bags of perfect apples and leaving them in your sun-baked car on top of a perfect-for-carving pumpkin.

This one surprised me and I may have to rescue it from the swap pile.

ETA: Today the drydown's pretty heavy on the vanilla, which means it smells like chalk made of powdered sugar and Yankee candles -- but only on my wrist. The crook of my elbow is still peachy and sweet. The bit I got on my shirt sleeve is still gorgeous apple cider.

Edited by hackess

When it was in the imp and still wet it was total buttery pumpkin. Totally. That was OK too, I liked it that way. I reeeeeeaaaaaally liked it when it was creamy pumpkin, peach and a little bit of spice. It didn't last that long though. The pumpkin faded away and the spices and peach took over, I like this enough to get a 5mL but I don't see that happening as its the exact same as March Hare which I already have.

I swore I had already reviewed this. Time to remedy the situation!

It starts as disgustingly fake and chemical butter topping, but that dies quickly once it hits my skin. It smooths out to a slightly buttery pumpkin with plenty of spices, but not much peach to speak of. Definitely pumpkin pie... drool worthy, and not overwhelming.

Bottle: Buttery rum. But more butter than anything.

Wet: BUTTER BUTTER BUTTER. A little sweet. But man, does this smell like BUTTER.

Dry: I get the spices, but it smells too much like a crappy autumn candle you'd buy at Hallmark or something. I smell something a little bit crisp, which is exciting because that's more how I expected this to smell- a combination of crispness and warmth and spices and pumpkin and oh, I love fall. But I don't love Jack. I don't smell any pumpkin at all! How can this be?!

The second I opened the imp this came in, I knew I'd like this one. In the bottle it smelled like a particular pumpkin spice candle I have (so I see where a lot of people are getting the comparison to a Yankee Candle store).

On my wrist, it started very buttery with just a hint of the pumpkin, but over the last few hours it has melted away somewhat, allowing the clove and nutmeg to take over. It's still semi-buttery (my fiancee said it reminded him of sugar cookies), so the pumpkin smell isn't that strong, but it's a nice sweet smell that I would definitely like to get a whole bottle of.

A little of this seems to make alot of smell, so believe the other posters who've advised not to put a lot on at once.

mmm rich and buttery...didnt get peach unlkess that was the general sweetness. totally yummy

I love this scent!

In the Bottle: I smell a fresh baked pumpkin pie. It's wonderful.

Wet: Suddenly I smell less pumpkin pie more peaches. It's not bad just a bit of a surprise.

Dry: The pumpkin completely disappears :P Now all I smell is peaches and nutmeg. It's not bad but I really like the pumpkin pie smell, so I think I'll have to use this one with a scent locket. All in all I love this scent.

in the bottle: Oh man, I don't get much pumpkin, but I totally get nutmeg and clove. I'm drooling here, people.

wet: Little bit of pumpkin, lots and lots and lots of peach and nutmeg. Weirdly, this is super sweet, like a juicy peach sweet though, not sugar-sweet. I can't figure out why my elbow smells more like a peach pie than a pumpkin one, but I'm not complaining!

dry: Oh my lord. Oh, oh, I'm in heaven here. I smell like the kitchen on thanksgiving when there's pies in the oven. Peach mixed with pumpkin, and overlaid with spices. I was hoping not to smell like the Great Pumpkin when I put Jack on, and oh, I got my wish! This is a beautifully balanced scent, warm and sweet. Guh!

I just got a partial 5ml of this. I love al things pumpkin and while this smelled nice I didn't get much pumpkin on my skin at all. It must jsut be my chemistry because as soon as it hit my skin I got a huge whiff of peach and clove. It stayed pretty much the same all throughout the day. very fruity for me. On the drydown this goes cloyingly sweet for me.

Edited by cassandrakfreaq

I never tried Jack in an imp before purchasing a bottle, I just read the description. It sounded great-since I make my own pumpkin pies throughout the year (and I love the raw smell) I knew I would love it. It really does smell like the real pumpkin, not the stuff from the can, but the real pumpkin at Halloween that you cut up and cook, then peel and put through a food processor. It always has a different, more fuller smell than the canned pumpkin. Add to that all the spices with the barest hint of peach and you have Jack. This is one that the longer I wear it, the better it becomes. :P

I am so sad right now I could cry! I thought that Jack would be my favorite by the description. It -does- smell exactly as I thought it should in the imp, but on my skin it turned into a sickly buttered popcorn smell. I will keep it and try it in my scent locket because it is a dreamy fall scent, it just did not work with my chemistry.