Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of warm, glowing jack o’lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.

Sniff: A lot of pumpkins on the first whiff. Very sweet, with a hint of the cloven smell in the background.

Wet: Pumpkins and cloves for the first hour.

Dry: The Pumpkin went into the background, and I was left with spicy peaches. I know others have complained about this, but I really enjoy the smell. It's so warm and the cloves are still there. Very enjoyable.

Verdict: Ordering a bottle.

Oh my goodness! I do believe my nose is having an orgasm right now! :wub: I'm a very big fan of foodie scents, and pumpkin scents are probably my favorite! In the bottle, Jack smells like sweet pumpkins laced with a hint of spice. My skin amplifies spices, and after the dry down.... WHOAH! It's so complex! The pumpkin stays there, but it's totally warmed into something deep, and it has to share the spotlight with the different spices as well. I know it's been said before, but Jack is Halloween in a bottle. Every time I catch a whiff of it, nostalgic Halloween memories come to mind.

Jack is my favorite pumpkin BPAL. It just does exactly what I expected it to do: smell like my kitchen on Halloween day. This is a foody, spicy oil.

Warm pumpkin is the star. It's not overly sweet, nor overly plain. Just a really nice, oven-heated pumpkin scent. Wonderful!

There are beautiful, seasonal spices in Jack that take it to the next level. There is clove, which is usually not good on me, but here it is subtle enough to work. Nutmeg is detectable, too, warming everything.

I can't pick up on the peach. Maybe it's just keeping the blend smelling fresh and bright. I keep hoping I'll find it in there someday, because I love peach.

Definitely try Jack if you're looking for a pumpkin-heavy blend, or if you want to channel the feeling of autumn.

Wet - buttery, earthy pie. As soon as it hits my skin, it flashes sour. The sourness fades in a few moments and the peach gets amped.

Drydown - My skin LOVES peach! The spices and pumpkin are under it, all sweet delicousness with a butter crust hiding beneath it. And musk! Got some lovely musk in there, too.

Dry - There's mostly some musk and peach, a little spice, a bit of buttery dryness. Pleasant enough. The clove and nutmeg are earthy and there's a bit or warmth there. Pleasant.

Sadly, this isn't for me. It was sweet in the free imp I got from the lab, but as soon as it hit my skin it turned sickly sweet and just kept getting stronger. Within twenty minutes it was making me gag and I had to wash it off.

Something to pass onto my sister, I think.

JACK

A blind test; the oil in the imp is yellow.

In Vitro Butter?!

Wet On my skin the buttery note was less intense and something sharper and sweeter emerged. After three minutes the scent had a creamy note and some mild spiciness; a very nice, warm impression.

Drying A quarter hour after application this smelled like chai spices and I was thrilled. It was too good to last: ten minutes later the earlier butter note mutated into an artificial cream smell like the one I got from Miskatonic University. Fortunately the hideous chemical odor that finished Misk. U didn't show up, but although the beautiful chai spices struggled valiantly, in the end they were dominated by plastic. Pumpkin was AWOL throughout.

If only the spice part of the drydown wasn't contaminated I could put up with the buttery start. As it is I'll just bury my imp of Jack in a dark drawer somewhere.

First Sniff: Sugary vanilla that turns into crisp apples.

Wet: Pumpkin spice and light cinnamon.

Dry: As it dries, I get dry wood reminiscent of the wood I got from Miskatonic University (yuck plywood!). I can still smell the vanilla though, but it’s taken a backseat. Once it dried completely it was light and smelled like pumpkin spice again. There’s also a sweetness to this which I like.

My Reaction: I liked this, despite it being light on my skin. It’s the best autumn scent I've found so far!

Rating 1-5: 3

In the bottle:

I’m mostly getting the nutmeg and the clove, it’s a sweet spice smell.

First time on:

Once again, my skin is really bringing out the spices, though there might be the tiniest smidge of peach in the background.

After a while:

There’s a really nice, warm pumpkin smell that’s lingering on the baseline. The main smell is still sweetened spice; the last time I wore this, the-mind-of-beckz pointed out that I smell like a pumpkin spice cinnabon, and she’s not wrong. The smell has an almost crisp feeling to it. It smells like a bakery on a chilly fall day.

Overall review:

I loooove this. It’s seasonal, it makes me smell like a delicious confection, and it’s not even limited edition! I’m glad I bought a full bottle.

I have a little chest overflowing with imps and because of this I have always found the prospect of rummaging through it very daunting and time consuming, especially when my bottles are within easy reach! After joining the forum a few weeks ago I decided it was time for me to sort through them and was very happily surprised to find an imp of Jack! I have been eyeing it up in the GC for a while now so to be able to sample it without ordering from the site was brilliant!

In the imp it smells completely yummy, like a hot cross bun topped with lashings of cream and sprinkled with cinnamon but there is also something slightly herby singing in the background, maybe the clove.. :yum:

On the skin it has a really strong throw and on me it smells much the same as it did in the imp but the clove is definitely much stronger now, like eating that cream topped hot cross bun in a cafe that smells of incense.. nice and spicy!

I applied it post shower at around half 9 in the morning and I could still smell it on my wrists, although faintly, past midnight!

I think this one is definitely going on my wish list! :wub2:

My co-workers do not appreciate the novelty I find in smelling like food. On the other hand, they might just not appreciate me shoving my arm in front of their faces and telling them to take a whiff.

Spicy and warm, this perfume reminds me of cozy interiors in late fall when the wind starts blowing cold and you realize winter's just around the corner. I don't detect any peach but the individual scents are so well-blended, all I can really smell is some hot spiced pumpkin beverage. It's moderately strong; it's sometimes apparent to myself when I wear it but it's not overpowering.

Bite me, co-workers. I smell delicious.

I was so excited to be frimped this, but the wet stage was citronella candles and buttered popcorn jelly beans. It gets more like spiced pumpkin as it dried, but I can't survive the wet stage...

In vial: strongly buttered popcorn.

On skin it becomes more pumpkin-spicy, but still with a strong buttery note over the top. I actually wouldn’t pinpoint this one as pumpkin if I didn’t know it - I would guess some kind of buttery spiced fruity cookie, maybe spiced cider. The nutmeg is fairly subtle, but present, and the buttery overtone mellows after 10-15 minutes.

Overall there are pumpkin scents I like better as perfume, but this is a nice home fragrance scent if you like fruity, spicy baked goods. I really do get a bit more of a baked apple feel from it than pumpkin, so if you're looking for something like apple pie and none of the apple scents have worked, try this one.

Somehow I really can't decide if I like this one or not. Sometimes it smells of glorious,sweet pumpkin pie to me and other times I find it harsh and tangy, more like an overdose of raw pumpkin. What I absolutely love about it though is the throw and how long it lasts. Seriously,one teensy little swipe from the imp (like 1/4 of a drop or something) and my husband could smell me from across the room.And he still could more than four hours later;I wish my favourites were as strong as this one :D

I might try and layer it with something sweet and creamy and see how that goes.

I just got this as an imp... I was so looking forward to it, and it couldn't have been worse all around :P

In the bottle: Plasticky yankee candle butter pumpkin. Too sweet, too fake.

Wet: HOLY SUGAR BUTTER PUMPKIN. Nauseatingly sweet, almost no spice.

Dry: Um, hello completely overwhelming peach. None of this is good for me, haha.

I tried it on the husband out of desperation, hoping to save something from it... his response?

"Oh, gross, it smells like Candyland vomited all over my arm."

Not a keeper for this household!

In the imp: Mmmm......... I think I've officially been converted to pumpkin. The pumpkin and peach here are absolutely divine!

Wet on skin: Seriously, I'm thinking of pumpkin cookies now. The spices are therem, along with the peach sweetening the pumpkin, but they're subtle compared to the other two.

Dried down: Still pumpkin cookies, but stronger on the pumpkin than the cookies

Throw: Light and pleasant. I can't smell it too much if it's farther away, but it sort of lingers in the air, and I don't have to put my nose into my elbow to smell it.

Verdict: ***** This is an unexpected winner for me (Well, any pumpkin winner is unexpected for me, still). I may need to get a bottle of this along with my autumn order.

I have tested this one before, and it didn't work on me. I think I lasted tested it a year ago, so I am going to give it one more chance.

In the imp: Buttery pumpkin (more like buttery caramel popcorn than pumpkin) and peach. The peach is quite prominent and sweet. This was too buttery and sweet (and strong!) for me last time I tried it, and I have a feeling that this will not yield a different result this time. The nutmeg and clove are in the background.

Wet: This is peach dominant on me at first, and the peach remains strong, along with the somewhat waxy pumpkin note that I remember smelling when I first tried this. The nutmeg and the clove are present and seem to be getting stronger, but they never rise above their background roles.

Dry: Super sweet peach and waxy pumpkin with a hint of the nutmeg and clove.

Verdict: This one is too strong, sweet, and candle-like for me. I am not overly fond of the combination of peach and pumpkin, and I get more peach than pumpkin on my skin. :huh?: There are many pumpkin blends that I prefer over this one.

I wish I hadn't bought at .5ml of this one "smell un smelled". I discovered the hard way that I don't like smelling like food even if I do love pumpkin spice cake. My biggest problem with it is that I put it on and it smells very strong for about five minutes and then . . . nothing. It completely dissolves into the ether. Neither I nor others can even tell that I had put it on. This "pumpkin head" (red head) must just have skin that literally just drinks it in.

This is a scent that reminds me very strongly of something, but I can't pinpoint what that is! I think it might be generic Yankee Candle smell - spices, fruit, and wax. I don't get pumpkin per say, but I think it may be providing the creamy background for the peaches and spice. My skin has pretty much eaten it all after a few minutes; I have to get my nose right up against my wrist to detect any. I love the peach note, but I think the waxy spices are making it too fakey candle scent for my liking. It does make me want a similar scent without the jack-o-lantern notes - spiced peaches sounds yummy!

Jack isn’t quite what I expected. I only smell the pumpkin in the imp, so it’s really a spiced peach. It makes me think of an autumnal version of Tamora, one of my favorites. I’m also surprised that the clove is so well-behaved here; usually it dominates blends on my skin. Jack is sweet and soft, and like Tamora, it fades pretty quickly, so it needs to be reapplied.

When I worked at Bath and Body, there was only one fragrance that I actually liked--their seasonal Pumpkin Pie one. They had a sugar scrub that was just mind-numbingly gorgeous and I bought two bottles of it, but still wish I'd bought all of them, since they discontinued it right then (and have gone on having lousy scents that give me a headache ever since). I still have most of that lotion, but the lotion never quite had the warm cozy smell (and it's a greasy sort of lotion).

But this. Oh my. This is the first imp I tried from my first ever order, and the second I opened it up, it just smells exactly like that sugar scrub.

Wet, it's very much the same, but it doesn't have much throw at all--I keep needing to put my wrist to my nose to get it. But I keep doing just that, because each sniff shorts my brain with happiness for a second. It is starting to morph into a bit of a popouri smell, which I hope it doesn't.

I should wait for the drydown to do a full review, but something tells me by that time, it'll be gone. Still, it's a cuddly scent--I can see applying this to encourage some neck nuzzling.

Edit: Oh, there are the peaches. Oh my, that's lovely. Just wish it was a little stronger, but maybe I'll slather a bit more next time.

Edited by Trix

Wet, butter-y foodie-ness that all foodie scents seem to have. Deep sniff, going past that--bright juicy peach, with warm pumpkin spice. Pretty but foodie scents are not for me! Dry, it's warm and foodie, but the sharpness of the clove standsout over the warmth of the nutmeg and pumpkin.

Edited by delighted

Baked spiced peach. Oh man, I wish it were peach season, but it's a cold snap in February. Canned peaches are not going to do the trick for the craving Jack has set off.

Where is the pumpkin? Where is the autumn? This is a very August with the stars coming out scent, not the warm October twilight scent I was expecting.

I would adore this as a candle, but as a perfume, it is too straightforwardly peach buckle (Mmmmmmmmm) for me to wear.

I think I'll make my imp into some wax tarts. <3

Thisbis a very strange scent. Well, atleast o me it is :)

I love pumpkins and especially the Lab's pumpkins!

So when my sweet BPAL friend got this as a frottle she gave it to me!

It is so soft and warm and cozy. It is totally an autumn scent!

Also in winter this can be fabukous. It reminds me of hkt cream in my coffee

and a bathtub or open fire to ait in or next to.

Awrsome craftsmenwork! I am happy with it and will use till it is all gone ;)

I do not get the butter note other people are talking about (thankfully, because the lab's creams and butters turn sour and rotten on me). I get a blend of earthy pumpkin, a sweet peachy smell, and a whole lot of spice.

I love Jack for about 30 minutes before it fades away completely, no trace to be found. Morocco does the same thing to me. Without something with staying power in the blend (resins or musks), the oils just disappear on me.

Alas!

For the 30 minutes I get to wear him, Jack is one of my favorites.