Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of warm, glowing jack o’lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.

I've tried this a couple of times, and while I liked it, it smelled completely different on different applications! The first time I tried it, I got really strong visions of a lightly spiced quince tart, with a really buttery biscuit. The second, it was spiced peach and pumpkin, fading to smooth, creamy pumpkin pie. One to play with a bit more, to see what it ends up being like most often, I think :P

My first review! Let's see how this goes.

In the bottle, this is overwhelming. My initial thoughts were 'Whoa, artificial pumpkin!'.

Wet - The pumpkin is strong, at this stage I'm not too sure if I like it. It has enormous throw, my parents could smell me from the next room :P It is extremely sugary, which I love! No peach yet.

Drydown - Ok, the pumpkin is still letting itself be known. But, I'm starting to like the pumpkin a little more now. The lovely creamy sugary scent is still playing in the game and the peach is starting to make a little more of an appearance. And is that cinnamon? Or perhaps nutmeg? Whatever the spice is, it's lovely.

Dry - The peach has really developed. And this is a lovely peach! It isn't a fresh peach, but rather a syrupy canned peach sort of smell. This isn't a bad thing because I love peach in all of it's forms...I don't discriminate. I would say that the peach and the pumpkin are equal players in this.

Overall, it's a winner. I have my 5 ml and I'm not parting with this one just yet.

This just has to be mentioned. My skin is like blotting paper, within a couple of hours I can barely smell anything on it. So, it is a huge deal that five hours after my initial application, I can still smell Jack! Hurray!

In the bottle: Whoa, butter! Butter flavoring, maybe ... a little smoky.

Initial application: Butter not (quite) so prominent... is that... clove? Buttered clove and peach?

After a while: It starts to mellow, and the scents are combining more. What I get mostly is a buttery pumpkin soup smell, savory rather than sweet.

A couple hours later: Peach pie filling... slightly goopy, overripe peaches. (Granted, my skin does not like fruit smells and does strange things with them.)

I wanted to like this one... I really wanted to love it. Pumpkin spice is the first candle/room/soap scent that I'll snatch for when it's available, but I think I must like the pumpkin pie spice more than I like the pumpkin. And Jack is all about pumpkin... and later, peach. Odd.

Overall impression: A dinner of golden buttered pumpkin soup followed by peach pie.

Wet in imp:

pumpkin/gingerbread Yankee Candle

Wet on skin:

Slightly stronger pumpkin, still a bit Yankee Candle-ish, but not as obnoxiously so as others that have been candle-like.

Drydown:

A bit like March Hare, only with pumpkin.

Wearlength:

Still faintly there as a soft, sweet scent 8 hours later.

Final impression:

I wouldn't buy a bottle. If I were in the mood to wear this, I'd be in the mood to wear March Hare. Of the two, I like March Hare better.

Love, love, love.

Bottle: autumn, my favorite time of year. Ginger, nutmeg, clove, pumpkin, sugar, cream...ah.

Wet: more of the above, but now I smell the cinnamon; I really don't love that, but let's see if that note will wear down.

Two hours later: Ahhh; I want to eat my forearm. I smell like a pumpkin cheesecake with all the fixings...heaven.

Verdict: I need a 5 ML!

yep, pumpkin cheesecake, all right. though i don't want to smell like one. i put this in the "cool that perfume can smell this way" category.

In bottle: buttery, spicy peach pie. Yum!

Wet on skin: peach comes to the fore with buttery pasty. Not fresh peach, but peach pie filling. It's very foody.

Dry on skin: this soon gets a little fresher and sharper, and the spice comes out. After 30 minutes it settles into a fruity, spicy sharpness that reminds me strongly of Frumious Bandersnatch, only with peach instead of plum and with pasty underneath. YUM! Not a bottle, because the buttery, peachiness is a bit too much for me, but I'll enjoy the imp.

I love the smell of this one and to me at least it is very true to it's description. This one doesn't seem to "suit me" but it is amazing on one of my close friends.

in the imp: totally delicious, super yummy, buttery pumpkin pie. like, holy smokes. :D

wet on skin: the peach is peeking out, but it's just making the mix sweeter, smelling even more like a yummy Autumnal concoction. :P

dry down: a brief pseudo Yankee Candle phase, but i find that i'm not bothered by it the way i was with, say, Fruitcake. it winds up smelling like a mild, delicious autumn potpourri blend that i'd wear on my body. :D

in all: my first foray into the world of BPAL pumpkin scents- it will NOT be my last.

:D

it smells more buttery than sweet. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but it might be worth nebulizing a little in the fall. Not a pumpkin pie type scent... this is a salty pumpkin scent in my book.

i have been wearing this almost everyday since i got it! it wasn't what i expected it to be. i really wanted a Pumpkin Spice scent, you know -- cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice, and pie.

my skin WICKED amps the peach. like wow. at first when i put it on it smells like buttery stuff, and the whole room smells like that for hours. but throughout the day, it generally smells like if one made a peach pie with pumpkin spice (i don't know how peach pies are made normally)... some days i smell more clove than others, but yeah. spiced peach. i love it lots, even if it wasn't what i was expecting. and everyone loves it on me!

unfortunately, it doesn't last longer than maybe three/four hours on my skin. i've found that putting on some lotion on my wrists before i put the oil on helps. i'm not sure about the throw, everyone is so used to me wearing this now that they don't make comments. and it would be a bit weird at the office, i think, for most people anyway, to make comments on how people smell, so no-one's said anything yet about being able to smell it from the next state. so, yeah. :-P

uh, all in all, love this scent!!

This one has been on my wishlist since I read the description. I see this becoming a bottle purchase in the future.

In the imp, this is a very strong scent. It's sweet, spicy, and somewhat burnt.

Wet on the skin, I smell more of the pumpkin and nutmeg. Still a hint of something burnt but it works well in this scent.

Once this dried down it smelled more like pumpkin with a bit of a buttery hint. It's a very rich, foody scent on me.

Wet in imp: I didn't know what I was smelling. I'm lame like that. It wasn't potent to me, and it wasn't.. anything. o.o

Wet on skin: Shabam. There's all the scent in the world. I didn't realize this sucker would have such throw for one little slash of the wand. (Had to flee the room I applied it in, then sort of permeated the living room with my mother going "Why does it smell like Halloween?"). It was buttery, spicey... yep

Dry on skin: I put this on without re-reading the notes to see if I could find them (New to this whole thing and having fun ^^:D and so, I smelled: Buttery something. Spicey something. Cinnamon? No.... (now I realize it was nutmeg. I'm silly) and clove. It invoked memories, however. And that's what I want to focus on.

My Freshman year of college I walked around campus one night in the fall with his guy I had a huge crush on. I remember dry leaves billowing around us, the breeze picking up, autumn crispness with that lingering touch of warmth, and the thought "this isn't right. He's not the one." Despite sounding awful with that thought, the moment was gorgeous, and I had wished I was with someone else or alone to experience it. For me, it was a moment of clarity and understanding. Snapped me out of that dream-world of high school and into the reality of life. Made me realize crushes without knowing someone are senseless, and that the boy beside me, talking about basketball, wasn't what I wanted to walk alongside with. I almost stopped to ask him if I could go on alone, because the night was beautiful and filled with wisdom, and he didn't need to share it with me. I didn't, cause that's sorta mean :/.

This was that scent and emotion in a vial. Wisdom, power, autumn, self-reliance, something mystical. Beautiful -snugs imp-

Overall: I have a hard time picking out "Pumpkin" scents. I just have never ever gotten much of a smell from a real pumpkin. I always have to search. So, this scent had a clarity to it for me, a "void". But one I enjoyed. I knew something was there, and I knew it was full, but it had no smell o.o. (Instead of color-blind and unable to see blues/greens I'm apparently scent-blind and unable to smell pumpkin. lol) But it was still delicious with everything else. I intend to re-wear this and see if I can train myself to find pumpkin. -confident- There was also a sweet underlying note I wasn't sure what it was, and on reading the description I see it's Peach. Of course, silly me :D

This stuff has AMAZING throw, and even though I feel like it doesn't last long, it does. Just grows a tad fainter. It doesn't hold to fabric or anything like Snake Oil does (that stuff -clings-). But it was mighty strong. My sister said "Yay! Now I can smell your BPAL without running over to sniff your wrists!" ( :P )

Overall, this scent blends perfectly into the GC "Autumn" blend of my choice. If I'm ever feeling wistful and want it to be autumn, not summer, winter... bleh. Then I'll be dabbing this on (since a dab is all it takes) and returning to autumn for a bit. The notes are present and beautiful, but don't require you sniff them out to understand the scent. It's relaxing and beautiful.

Yummy.

/end long review

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

In the bottle:

Rating: 5

Notes: pumpkin, nutmeg, clove

Comment: Smells delicious and like Pumpkin III, except less creamy and chocolatey.

Wet on skin:

Rating: 4

Notes: pumpkin, cream?

Comment: Slight off-note smell to it.

Dry on skin:

Rating: 3

Notes: nutmeg, clove, maybe peach?

Scent Intensity: 3

Comment: This has a definitely plastic smell to it, under that there are some of the spice smells. I'm a little let down because March Hare smells excellent on me and so does Pumpkin III.

Misc:

Duration: N/A

Keyword(s): gourmand

Color: N/A

Smells like: Pumpkin III

Edited by Akasha Tsang

Jack had three stages on me: the peach & spices stage, the warm buttery pumpkin stage, and then the generic candle stage. Overall, it was very delicious and definitely autumnal. While my chemistry seems to struggle with foody things, I've been gradually finding scents that have gourmand elements without being too "in-your-face", and Jack falls into that category. It's kind of whimsical -- like if Halloween Town from The Nightmare Before Christmas had an official scent, this would be it. I can't wait to wear this in the fall!

4/5

In the imp, I smell the peaches and nutmeg and cloves...which when combined smell almost like caramel.

Wet, the pumpkin comes out, but combined with the cloves, it becomes very dark...dark, and almost repellent, but that just adds to my interest - I think that combination of scents could very easily become cloying, but the darkness prevents that.

Dry, the almost repellent note disappears very quickly, leaving the pumpkin and peach almost dancing around each other, but with the spices wafting through underneath.

I do like this, but it's a little too foody for me to want to wear too often...but I do know a nearly 12 year old who would be beyond thrilled if a full size bottle made it's way into her birthday gifts...I will have to get organised so that it can happen.

In the vial: Sweet, light, creamy. Pumpkins and a hint of spices. It's the same color as the oil, a light yellow-towards-orange.

On me: The scent amps more than I expected for its lightness, but perhaps I just put more on than usual. Like the vial, it's pumpkin and spice, but the spices die down and the scent grows lighter and sweeter. The pumpkin is diluted and lightened by the peach, and the sweetness gives the scent an almost waxy-candle like quality. It doesn't morph and it's fairly strong. The color is shiny, creamy, light tangerine-yellow, far from a rich pumpkin.

Verdict: On me, this is a commercial candle scent, not rich pumpkins and spices as I envision them. It's very sweet and rather waxy, and the autumn notes feel diluted by the lightness of spring peach. I would much rather have my pumpkin darker, spicier, muskier; Jack just isn't for me. It might be worth layering with it a spicy or musky scent, though, to see if that cuts down the sweetness.

ETA: Layering Jack with herbal, spicy, and musky blends is an improvement, but still not quite good enough. I've layered it with Casanova before, and recently tried laying it with Satyr; these darker, deeper scents help ground Jack and cut down on the overpowering sweetness, but they don't do away with the waxy, candle-like feel of the scent. As such, this is definitely an imp for the swap pile.

Edited by Juushika

Transcript, 28th Precinct, re: statement from assault victim.

VICTIM: The last thing I remember is opening the vial...

OFFICER: And this was at what time?

V: I, uh, don't remember exactly. In the evening, after 7 sometime?

O: Go on.

V: Next thing I know, I'm lying face down in the alleyway--I don't even know where I am, you know? I get up and check to see if I'm hurt, right? And my brain is just--my head is just spinning, and--

O: So you check to see if you're injured, at that time did you check to see if you were missing anything?

V: Yes--well, I mean, I started to, but then...I smelled it.

O: "Smelled it"? Smelled what, exactly?

V: [shudders] It was--it was something horrible! I'll never forget it! not as long as I live!

O: Please describe it--be specific, okay? Just walk your way through it.

V: Okay...uh, well...it was sweet. It was overwhelmingly sweet. And there was something else...something spicy along with it...there was cinnamon, I know that, but, uh...what's that other thing they put in pies and stuff?

O: Vanilla?

V: No...

O: Cardamom?

V: Ew! No...

O: Nutmeg?

V: Yes! Yes, that's it! Nutmeg! I smelled that. It smelled just like a pumpkin pie actually, now that I think about it...but plasticky and overly sweet. I can't explain it...

O: Actually, you've explained it quite well enough. I think I have to tell you that we've been experiencing a rash of these crimes lately. We always see more of them around Halloween.

V: What? You...you know who did this to me? Because I'm telling you, I can get the smell off of me no matter how often I wash my hands! Who? Who is it??

O: Well, we're not entirely sure about any kind of real identity here, but we've been calling them "pumpkin Jack-ings." Don't worry--we'll catch this guy. Now, I need to set you up with a perfumist so we can work up a note profile on on our Jack.

[end recording]

In the bottle and wet on my skin smells like sweet, buttery popcorn. Mmmm popcorn. :P

As it dries, I begin to smell the nutmeg and cloves and more of the spiced pumpkin scent.

Very yummy scent and ideal for Halloween and Fall season.

When I opened the bottle I was almost distraught. The smell was extremely sweet and foody but almost immediately upon my skin it mellowed swiftly and took on the spicier stuff to which I must say GLEE. Its still kinda foody I suppose but a good kind. I smell the spicye pumpkin take the forefront with clove and nutmeg. Thank God its fall :P

Amazing scent!

In the imp, Jack is foody warm pumpkin wrapped up in peach cobbler.

On the skin, there's an added nutty depth.

Dry, the sweetness intensifies and I lose most of the pumpkin to the peach.

This is fresh imp from the lab. Back to the imp box it goes for a while to age. Hopefully the pumpkin will return.

Jack, when it hits my skin, is a very sweet pumpkin blend. It's almost as if there's sugared lilac on top of it or something. The intense sweetness lasts for a couple of minutes, and then the pumpkin begins to come out more underneath.

At about half an hour in, there's something in the pumpkin that goes a little plasticky on me, alas. But this recedes soon, and settles down to a nice pumpkin midrange.

On my skin, this scent doesn't have staying power, though. It's four hours later, and I can hardly smell a thing on my wrists. Alas, Jack, you and I were only meant to have a fleeting relationship.

mmm this is actually quite lovely and a perfect fall scent. the pumpkin and nutmeg are the most prominent and it smells a little buttery. hopefully the peach will come out more but it hasn't yet.

Jack is so amazing and I love this scent. I'd like to find a drink that tastes as good as Jack smells!

My only issue is after the dry down - it starts to lose the sweetness on my skin so I have to reapply.

It's great mixed with other scents and also worn in a scent locket.

Edited by icecreamcone

I'm kind of obsessed with pumpkin bread/pumkin pie etc, so I was really looking forward to trying this scent. But I don't really get much of the spice and the pumkin is sour and plasticky on my skin. Tragedy strikes! :P