Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

POE
A melancholy, manic gentleman’s cologne: incense and tobacco, opium tar, juniper berry, bourbon vanilla, patchouli, bergamot, and mossy leather.

Sniffed: Light amber coloured oil. Cologney in a traditional, clean masculine way, but with a distinct smokiness (definitely the tobacco, and a touch of incense/tar), along with an almost creamy sweetness. The juniper is lovely in this, almost like Spruce, not the typical juniper note. I do get the earthiness of the light patchouli.

Wet: Softer/fainter on my skin - this is a much gentler scent than I expected, not effeminate but certainly not forceful. It's a little sweeter and a little smokier, but not much different from in the imp. Maybe a touch soapy, though in a clean, bearable manner. I get the bergamot a bit more clearly, which is rare in BPAL - it's a lovely, fresh, almost juicy-fruity note here. The leather note, which I can now get with straining, is not De Sade, but neither is it Dead Man's Hand...it's the note from Sacrifice! Yes, really.

Dry: Wow, this has really morphed in an absolutely gorgeous way. I get a deep, not dirty, clean but sexy and unisex-to-masculine cologney musk note that I find quite arousing (literally). The vanilla has amped in a beautiful way and merges with the bergamot (which is holding!) to provide a creamy-tart-sweet almost foody effect, a bergamot creamsicle. That soapiness is gone, and the leather and tobacco are now prominent but nowhere near dominating; this is very well-blended and balanced scent.

Later: I don't typically like incense or opium notes and the faint smokiness from those puts me off slightly, but every other aspect of this blend is really delicious, and those notes I dislike are quite light and bearable. The leather is a tad powdery/chemically for my taste but not intolerably and I attribute most of it to my personal skin chemistry. The juniper has faded a little (which almost never happens!) and as I noted is really wonderful and unique, a sort of trace-of-forest on the air scent.

Summary: While I like this on me, this is something I would certainly prefer on a man and I bet in that case the smoky notes would be sexy and yummy. On me it basically dries down to a slightly cologney, sweet muskiness, but I think there would be more complexity and in the long term states on a man. It has lower throw but fabulous longevity and is both classic and yet quite unique, unlike other colognes that I have smelled or other scents in the BPAL catalogue.

I am definitely hanging on to my imp. :)

Poe - This is lovely! On me, it's predominantly a smoky vanilla-opium-leather blend. It's a lot more subtle than I would expect with some of the strong notes this blend carries. When I first tried it on, my very first thought was that it will likely layer well with Sacrifice. It's quite lovely and I just wish it had been sold in 5ml bottles!

The ever-generous fairnymph sent me a tester of this and it is wonderful!! Wet, there is a sharpness which I think is the juniper and opium. This quickly settles into a wonderful vanilla/leather blend with a touch of bergamot. The patchouli here is really light, as is the tobacco and both provide a sort of roundness to this scent that smooths it out quite nicely. This is just a shade masculine, but not overtly so. Overall, its a smooth, warm scent.

Edited by crebbsgirl

Oh, Poe, you are not for me.

I get some really bad leather from you, and yes, its the same sort of bad leather from Sacrifice. Synthetic and uberstrong. I get a hint of bergamot, gin and dirty patchouli over some plasticky leather.

For which I am thankful. As you are a rare being. Too rare for the likes of me.

This is fantastic, proper and refined, like the best-smelling after shave in the world. I am reminded somewhat of other dudely leather blends, but I can't recall which ones. I applied pretty heavily (for me) and I felt that it faded pretty quickly, but it's >8 hours later I'm still picking up the scent around me. To me this is a masculine scent, spicy leather I guess but I can't describe it more than that. I mean, I think I can smell oakmoss but who knows. I couldn't tell you if this is a fougere or chypre or what. I guess it kind of fits in with chypres but it would be a deluxe leather chypre in that case. Why bother picking it apart. Since I'm guessing most people can't try this (unless it is more available some time in the future), I would say Count Dracula is the closest other bpal I can think of. They are not the same but it's an approximation. Poe is more refined and elegant, but still rough, and very serious. Not much 'playful' about this scent.

sadly this turns soapy with my skin chemistry, but even in the imp it's more aftershave than leather

i get some berry, some incense, and some moss

I got a frimp with Trading Post purchase.

Classical men's aftershave for the most part, mostly bergamot, mild juniper beries and a pinch of tobacco. The final stage of drydown is on the sweet side though, with bourbon vanilla and soft leather.

I'm not a fan of too masculine masculines, but juniper was toned down here and I regret it isn't available to purchase - it would have been refreshing in summer.