Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
edenssixthday

Detestable Putrescence

Melty vanilla ice cream!

Melty vanilla ice cream or yellow cake batter in the decant, for sure. On my skin, it smells the same, and it's absolutely lovely. And making me want to eat my wrist. NOM. It morphs into more of a baking vanilla extract sort of thing on me, but it's definitely going to be a bottle. Edited by Shollin

I immediately jumped at this one as I am a vanilla freak. And unfortunately, it turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of any oil I've gotten from BPAL to date.

It definitely does not smell like melted vanilla ice cream to my sniffer. Worst, it's a "vanilla" that I have smelt in other oils before and one that I never liked. I classify it as a plastic or dirty vanilla. Not sweet, but bitter, almost rancid. I'm really surprised at this one. :cry2:

OK..EDIT UPDATE; Having ordered Snake Oil for the first time, I figured with it's vanilla emphasis maybe I could mix this with Detestable Putrescence on my skin and get some use out of it. It worked beautifully. It needs the influence of another oil to offset the plastic resonance.

Edited by Gael

i'm sad cuz the description sounded perfect to me, and in the bottle it smelled great- but on me it smells like a fake vanilla candle. and then it smells better for a few minutes, and back to fake vanilla candle. i hope in an hour or so it smells delicious, cuz i bought a whole bottle:(

i'm thinking it might smell fairly awesome layered with the milk chocolate buttercream scent.

In bottle: Smells like vanilla. Wonderful!!

Wet: Noooooo!!!! It's immediately going to plastic!!!

Drydown: More plastic!!!

After an hour: No good. Still plastic, with a touch of vanilla underneath. EPIC FAIL. At least on me.

Bottle is going to my swap pile. I'm so sad--I was really excited about this one. :(

EDIT: Turns out this stuff is absolute MAGIC in a scent locket, though.

Edited by reynardine

In the bottle Detestable Putrescence has a buttery-vanilla smell to me. Once it's on my skin the butter mellows and I get a rich vanilla that works for me. I'm not fond of foody scents so I'm glad the butter or cream fades on me. I can definitely see this layered with something else that you like.

Still, it won't replace O as my favorite general vanilla or Defututa as my favorite floral vanilla. This is a nice change and I'm glad I have a bottle!

OM NOM NOM...bottle required!

This is a really strong pure marshmallow/vanilla essence type vanilla from the imp and goes on pretty much the same. Utra foody, sweet and delicious :D

Medium throw and staying power on me too :)

I got to try this at an M&S.

It was a vanilla that worked on me, probably because of the major cream factor. I did not get the usual plastic. Of course, my nose could have been broken by the time it would have turned...

It was really delicious, very melty-vanailla ice cream over a little bit of white cake. It's a very heavy vanilla, a sweet, goopy, foodie one. Very straighforward. Glad to have tried it, and I think this would make a wonderful sleep scent. It's very relaxing. Not what I'd wear for my normal perfume though.

In bottle: This is definitely melty ice cream and reminds me of ice cream floats. It’s not a pure vanilla and has an effervescent quality reminiscent of carbonation. Wet: Much as in the bottle. It’s also reminding me of cheap gum. There is something about the vanilla that’s suggesting it’s turned a little or corrupted. Putrescence is way too strong a word, though, despite the title. There is a coolness about it. I am thinking melted ic4e cream on a tiled ice cream parlor floor. I’m not convinced I like it; I’m not convinced I don’t. Dry: Mostly vanilla. There is still something not quite right, but it’s less alarming. It’s less gum and more vanilla and slightly dirty tiles.

In the bottle - Unsurprisingly a sweet vanilla custard

Wet on me - There is vanilla but it's covered by a really perculiar aniti-freeze type smell

Dry on me - Fortunately the anti-freeze scent goes away and leaves a sweet milky scent: more condensed milk than vanilla ice cream

Overall - I don't know really, the overall affect was pleasent enough, but perhaps a little bland

Ok, I love vanilla and I've never had a problem with any of the Lab's vanilla notes before so I figured I was safe. Not so much. I think this may be in part to my skin chemistry recently changing, but this turned into a hot mess on my skin. Entirely too sweet and cloying and just tooth-aching. I had to wash it off.

This was just a big fat no on me. I thought that it'd be hard to go wrong with vanilla/cream, but this paticular vanilla note seems to be the one that goes "faux" on me. The result smells SO MUCH like a spray I had in middle school--one of those "if you like this, you'll love this" imposter type sprays...and on me it smelled like a cheap, waxy vanilla candle. I didnt' like it in middle school and I don't like it now.

And so, Detestable Putrescence has failed on my skin. To the swap pile!

Beth frikkin nailed this one-I don't know what else to say-to me it's a straight up scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, with the little bean flecks in it-like the kind you get with apple pie al la mode-that's starting to melt from being next to the warm pie...omgomomnom. Foody vanilla bliss!

I admit the mention of plastic vanilla had me down and I was even more fearful when the fates pulled a bottle purchase away from me

at the last moment (the seller recanted the sale) Was it a sign? My usual vanilla love always vanilla hate when its in the BPAL sphere

(Inez - total disappointment on me). But when a decant crossed my path last week, I decided to try.

Imp: Buttery vanilla yumness. Could there be potential?

Wet on Skin: ARGH! Vanilla plastic. Chalked up a loss and decided to go about my day.

Drydown: Wait, what is this? Its a funny nose tickling vanilla powder. Hmm, not what I had been looking for (and powder = doom/fail/default on me) but kinda neat. Certainly dry vanilla and not melty kind. But still there is a bit of charm here. Maybe its worth keeping an imp on hand, and maybe that was what the fates had intended.

I tried Detestable Putrescence in yet another grab to find something to soothe the Antique Lace maybe-loss.

This is delicious in the bottle and straight-on, like rich vanilla, or maybe yellow cake. Unfortunately -- and I do mean it is srscat unfortunate and makes me sad -- this is a vanilla that turns to ~~french vanilla~~, like the fakey candle scent. It smells plastic. There is a coconut edge to it that's not really helping. I wish this vanilla worked on me, but it's safe to say this particular blend is not sticking around.

Edited by karen

In the bottle - Sweet, creamy, melty vanilla ice cream. SPOT ON! Somewhat sharply sweet.

Wet - Almost almondy yet still very creamy and sweet. I adore vanilla, and this is my perfect vanilla note!

Dry - It's a puddle of stucky, yummy, creamy vanilla goodness. With a hint of plastic candle holders.... hmmm. I can live with that! It's too much vanilla goodness to part with!

Verdict - I need to buy more bottles!

Edited by TulaMontage

A cool vanilla scent that is slightly creamy then goes plasticky on my skin. Doesn't have the marshmallowy, powdery coolness of Antique Lace or the dense almost sticky sugariness of the vanilla in TKO.

This does work in the scent locket but the vanilla doesn't blend with my skin as much as it sits on top of it.

mmm pure french vanilla right out of the bottle. On the skin, it mellows out a bit but it retains that french vanilla "bite." I like it but it's not something I'd wear on a regular basis.

Edited by NeonGreen

In the imp, this is absolutely GLORIOUS. Luscious, oozy vanilla and not much else. However, on me, it's a completely different story :( It has the same thick, plastic smell that I get from Boo! these days, which makes me a little nauseous every I notice it. I'll see how this fairs in my scent locket, but I'm really disappointed that it doesn't work on me.

I picked this up at the C2E2 convention in Chicago. I love it! I am a big fan of vanilla, and this is no exception.

Wet, it is straight up vanilla with a creamy edge, so it definitely does smell like vanilla ice cream.

On drydown, it is vanilla and something peachy. Reminds me of peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

I was surprised by the throw on this one. I didn't expect it to last very long or have much throw, but I can still smell it on me 8 hours later. I love it! And I love it when people compliment me on this fragrance and ask me what it's called. :lol:

WTFOMGBBQ I need this; multiple bottles...it's creamy sweet ice cream...it loves me and I love it... :swoon:

OK, so, this ought to be the perfect scent for me. It's vanilla. Straight-up vanilla ice cream. This ought to be awesome.

It's... well, it's not. For one thing, it smells a bit too thick and cloying for ice cream, and it's not a rich vanilla. For another, this turns to plastic on my skin. It's the first-ever vanilla scent to do this on me, and believe me, I love me some vanilla and foody scents. I am a sad panda, because I wanted to love this.

This is super, super pretty. It's like a more innocent version of O without the amber. To me, wet, it smells like vanilla and honey and cream. It doesn't last too long on the skin for me (although I only put a little dab on for testing), but it dries down to a very true light cream scent - not soured at all. I'm really impressed with this one.

Detestable Putrescence

On: This is delicious, almost bordering on cream cheese frosting on me. It reminds me a lot of the original Beaver Moon, which is one of my favorite foody scents.

1 hour in: More powdery and vaguely floral, but still mostly just pretty vanilla.

1.5 hours in: Powdery vanilla. Pretty, but not earth-shattering.

2 hours in: Lovely, powdery vanilla. Not overly foody at all.

2.5 hours in: Sweet and powdery. Very pretty.

3.5 hours in: Still the same.

4 hours in: Pretty, sweety, powdery vanilla.

Overall: This is almost a single note on me. It isn't overwhelmingly sweet or foody, just powdery, pretty, and simple.

There's really not much for me to add to the description, it is exactly that. Very sweet melty vanilla ice cream. I can see it in the bottom of the bowl when I sniff, the leftover liquid from whatever dessert it accompanied. Utterly, utterly gorgeous. Need a big bottle.