Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
edenssixthday

Detestable Putrescence

DETESTABLE PUTRESCENCE
Inspired by Gris Grimly's illustrations for the Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar.

Melty vanilla ice cream!

Destestable Putrescence - This is another prototype/preview (not sure which) that was out for testing during Cobwebs III and Convergence. Despite the name, this is a yummy, delectable scent. When I first smelled it, I thought it smelled like Werther's Butterscotch hard candies. Later, Beth said it's supposed to smell like melted ice cream. So I went back and tried it again, and I still get what smell kind of like butterscotch, but also reminds me of a dulce de leche type scent. It's yummy and it's one of the few foody blends that stays true on my skin without turning into musty-dusty-plastic. I think that if/when this is released, it will be a big hit with the foodies.

ETA: No one else I talked to smelled butterscotch/dulce de leche. I can't help but wonder if it was a chemistry reaction since my skin tends to turn sugary notes into a burnt-sugar type scent. That could be the reason behind the warm, butterscotchiness I experienced with this particular scent. So don't count on it to be butterscotchy for you at all!

I tried this on at Convergence, but that's because Beth told me that it's supposed to smell like melted ice cream. Melted, specifically. To me, it was pretty spot on. Not too creamy like some vanillas. Much more foody. I didn't get any butterscotch from it at all. I think it's going to be quite popular.

I didn't try it on my skin but my prego nose is really good right now. Actually, I think it might have alot to do with the fact that I don't smoke as well! ;)

First thing I smelled was butter, I even though of Jelly Belly's buttered popcorn flavor which is similar to butterscotch, sorta... It smelled SO amazing on someone's (I forgot her name, boo!) wrist so I'm betting this'll be one that lots of people will like, not specifically foodies. I cants wait, its being released Aug. 28th or something right?

I recall smelling this at Cobwebs III and thinking it was fantastic for a foody like me! I don't recall skin testing it, but when word got around that Beth said it was "melted ice cream" I knew I'd just have to buy a bottle, completely bypassing the 'testing' part of the experience.

Yesterday at the Dark Delicacies event I did the whole "set it, and forget it!" thing. About an 45 min into being there I smelled it and the drydown was very similar to a prototype I have, PPGC92. Since I can now smell them side by side, in the bottle they aren't very similar with PPGC92 having a strong cake note. If DP is the melty ice cream, PPGC92 is one of those ice cream cakes you get from Baskin-Robbins, or a cake gone soggy BY the melty ice cream.

In the bottle, DP smells of very generic vanilla and cream, reminds me of Love's Philosophy (ok, from what I remember of it... it didn't quite work on me). Now that I brought it home with me I can actually skin test it for real - wet it's sorta plasticy. Well, this is no good at all! As time goes by the plasticy vibe fades although it's a bit slow to completely disappear.

As we were driving home last night we stopped at Wendy's where I had a vanilla frosty with M&M's. I tried to connect if the frosty tasted like DP smelled and I think my conclusion was it was pretty close. This scent is much more of the soft-serve variety than the homemade kind inundated with heavy cream.

Edited by Shollin

I remember testing this at a will call and thinking it was probably going to be a big winner, so of course I bought a bottle without re-testing it. Maybe it's wonky body chemistry issues, but this is nothing like the fabulous ice-cream scent I was expecting on me. Instead it's sickly, strong, burned vanilla-plastic that I actually had to wash off.

I did smell it on someone else, and it was a light vanilla on her. Nothing to write home about, but then BPAL has created some gorgeous vanilla scents, so maybe I'm just holding Detestable Putrescence to a higher standard.;)

In the bottle: yep, that is definitely vanilla ice cream!!

On the skin: It immediately becomes a vanilla that is threatening to turn plasticky. It isn't there yet, but close.... Drying down, I am getting a sweet vanilla cream. Similar to Antique Lace, but more..... creamy. It doesn't remind me of ice cream anymore though. Now it is a more perfumey vanilla. Very strange. Light blend with little throw.

I am not sure if this is a blend for me. I love the name, but I may have to swap it away...

DETESTABLE PUTRESCENCE

This smells just like it says. Slightly warmed, sweet vanilla ice cream. There really is no cold note to this it is smells warm. Just like the kind I would eat as a kid..:yum:

Edited by Shollin

This is vanilla ice crfeam. When I smelled this at cobwebs in Juky I like it, but couldn't put my finger on why. When I read that Beth said vanilla ice cream it clicked. It is like the bowls of ice cream I stirred and stirred until I made my own milkshake. It was always warm and oozy, and better than it is in its a real firm. :lol:

in the bottle a thick, candy vanilla with a sweet cream note

wet on skin very sweet and mild, a young girl's perfume

dry on skin straight to plasticville. :( i'll stick with my saffron-lite love's philosophy for my soft vanilla, i guess. what a shame!

Shoutout to marsmomma who picked up a bottle for me at the event. My bottles are currently too far across the ocean to compare, but I'm fairly certain that this is the same vanilla from Love's Philosophy, and one of the vanillas from BiggerCritters. It is very very light - I get little to no throw on my skin or even in my hair. To me this is not vanilla ice cream, it's vanilla frosting. A big plastic tub of frosting waiting to smother some cupcakes. My mom, the baker, however says to her it's cream cheese frosting, which I can see as well. Basically it's just frosting. I was hoping for a more Snake Oil type vanilla; snake oil after many many hours on me, when the spices have subsided and all that is left is delicious vanilla, is actually pretty close to what melty ice cream smells like to me.

LP without the cream. Not really my kind of vanilla but I'm going to hold on to it and see how it ages.

To me, Detestable Putrescence doesn't smell of vanilla ice cream; rather it smells of moist yellow cake and mounds of buttercream icing. :yum: (I will be interested in comparing it to Lilith Cake Smash when the time comes.)

So far I've only tested a dab, but it seems to go on rather faint, with little throw and not much lasting power. There's also a distinct note of plastic at times, probably one out of every twelve sniffs or so, though I hope that will go away as the blend ages.

Detestable Putrescence is pure buttercream on me. I don't get vanilla from it, or ice cream, and I'll have to test it again after it has a chance to settle to see if it changes. It seems like it might be a good layering scent.

Inside the bottle, vanilla cream.

On my skin, it has a bit of a milk-like scent right after application.

As it begins to dry though, it softens to a warm vanilla cream scent.

I feel like I need to layer it with something else though...

I found this blend to initially be dead-on melty vanilla ice cream, however, it gathers a bit more complexity on my skin. It seems to bloom into a big vanilla cream scent, but is toned with other subtle notes- I get a bit of a vanilla flower note, something figgy and a little touch of almond in there. It also has the slightest suggestion of a sweet waffle cone and a big ol cherry on top.

For those who wished Love's Philosophy was just a bit sweeter and foodier- here ya go! Its almost got the sweet cloudiness of Midway, with the basic vanilla cream of Love's Philosophy and a bit of the cherry almond of Horn of Plenty. Maybe also just a touch of Hetaire or Eden's figginess.

Surprisingly sexy.

though one application showed threat of going plasticy, it has been behaving like an angel for all other applications.

In the imp and wet, this smells like Beaver Moon 05 to me. But sweeter and not in a good way (I love Beaver Moon 05). On my skin, Detestable Putrescence sadly turns to plastic and makes me kinda sick. All day and often, because the throw and scent longevity are phenomenal.

I dealt it with it for one day for scientific reasons, but there won't be a second testing.

In bottle: exactly like melted vanilla ice cream, but with a little perfumy richness which is hard to define.

Wet on skin: Love's Philosophy only lighter and sweeter and without the saffron, perhaps with a little Egg Nog mixed in. The cream note in LP is too thick and heavy for my taste, but this is nicer. If you love LP or wanted to but got the wintergreen version, you should get this. If you hated LP - don't bother with Detestable Putrescence

Dry on skin: after an hour, this becomes warmer and richer, regaining that extra element it had in the bottle. It's a little cakey/buttercreamy - like Beaver'versary minus the strawberry. I like it even more now! It is fading fast, though - almost gone after two hours.

Two days later: I'm getting a definite honey note - warm and rich and reminiscent of Mead Moon. Warmth is a key feature of this scent. If you can imagine warm vanilla ice cream with honeycomb and caramel chunks, you'd be fairly close to what this smells like!

Edited by Lyrical

Detestable Putrescence is amazing! I knew I was going to love this one. My skin chemistry is odd most times & for some reason DP slightly reminds me of Beaver Moon 05 even though there isn't cheesecake or cupcakes in the description. I'm guessing it's the vanilla component. Either way, I love it!!!

:D

Edited by boxinghelena

I know previous reviewers said it smells like LP or BM. Well, to me, from the moment it hit my skin I said "Midway!" To my nose they are in the same territory. But Detestable Putrescence is "thicker" somehow. Vanilla ice creams don't smell like that here, probably different ingredients lol.

This is a warm foody scent and I'll be keeping my bottle to use in my hair-oiling days (like I use Midway).

I love Detestable Putrescence, it's warm and comforting but I don't really want to smell edible (at least most of the times :lol: ).

My cursed body chemistry is effing up all that should be good about Detestable Putrescence. :huh?:

Cold sniff from the bottle: *om nom nom* melty vanilla ice cream dripping over a sugar cone. :yum:

On my warped skin: creamed butter with a slight vanilla tinge. The butter is knocking me out. :ack: :ack:

Drydown after a couple of hours: butter, butter and more butter. *sigh*

Not for me and my whack chemistry, phooey.

Yup, it's vanilla alright. At first it's very buttery, thick vanilla, more like a rich cake than ice cream, as previous reviewers have said. On me, it turns to just a very strong, sort of generic fake smelling vanilla pretty quickly, and lasts forever. I generally like foody scents, and the lab's vanillas, but this one is just not for me. *sigh*

This is definitely vanilla cream. Unfortunately, the BPAL's cream note tends to go to plastic on me, so I have this really nice vanilla plastic baby doll smell on me.

That if I were a plastic doll, I'd adore. Moderate throw, it kinda stays close to my skin.

Alas, I am but a flesh and blood woman.

In the bottle, this smells like a very warm, buttery, cloying vanilla. It's a bit like butterscotch.

On my skin, this smells odd and boozy. It's like some sort of warm, creamy, butterscotch & booze drink. It smells like there's a hint of almond on my skin too (the closest thing it reminds me of is Dana O'Shee). As it dries down, this is less butterscotch and more of an odd, warm, sweet, grainy sort of vanilla. It still smells slightly of almond on my skin. It's a simple and high pitched sort of sweetness. Doesn't have much throw and only lasts about an hour. To call it vanilla ice cream would be a bit of a stretch, in my opinion. It's a sugary, buttery mess.

Eta:

I recently pulled this out to try again, to see if 2 1/2 years of aging made any difference with this scent, and now it smells oddly like banana candy and circus peanuts on me :blink:

Edited by Little Bird

Mmmm. This is like a very buttery vanilla ice cream. It's sweet and foody and fabulous. When I saw the above reviews that mention buttercream frosting, I had one of those "Oh yeah!" moments. Like if you had really rich homemade ice cream and covered it in buttercream frosting instead of hot fudge. Which sounds sinful. Yum.

It also has a surprisingly strong throw. Not overwhelming, but whether it's the way I apply or the way my skin works with scents, usually after an hour I have to have my nose on my skin to smell them. Not so with this one, which wafts to me every once in a while. This is going to be great for layering, and for wearing in general. I'm really glad I bought a bottle unsniffed, and may need another.

(What would be perfect with this? Single note coffee, to ground it on days when the sweet is just to sweet. I gotta go make a latte.)

In spite of the butteriness in the bottle, Detestable Putrescence is very similar to Love's Philosophy on me--vanilla cream, but minus the saffron. Just a soft, smooth vanilla, like a vanilla cream single note. It's not very powerful, but it has a long wearlength. I love vanilla, and this seems like a great alternative to my bang!pow! boozy-fruity oils, as well as my smell me! bakery oils. And as for the DP vs LP deathmatch, I think my bottles of Love's Philosophy may be finding new homes. :eek: