Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
edenssixthday

Hideous Heart

HIDEOUS HEART
Inspired by Gris Grimly's illustrations for the Tell-Tale Heart.

A macabre Valentine: wild black cherries, licorice root, and cinnamon.

Hideous Heart - If I recall correctly, Beth said that this is part of a new Poe series that is going to be released on August 23 at a special Dark Delicacies event, so I believe this is more of a preview as opposed to a prototype. This is a dark, thick, heavy cherry scent, but it's deeper and more sinister than your typical cherry scent. There's something else in there (I have no idea what) that gives the cherry a depth that it doesn't normally have. It doesn't smell medicinal to me at all, although I imagine that on some people, it could smell a bit like Robitussin or Vicks Formula 44D. On me, it's absolutely fantastic to the point that I am anxiously awaiting it's release and will buy a full bottle. The saddest part is the scent doesn't last very long on my skin. It's one I'd have to reapply regularly throughout the day.

This starts off with a very sweet cherry that isn't quite cough syrup, more like red Twizzlers. The licorice root joins in so now I smell like all kinds of Twizzlers. :lol: The cinnamon comes in as it dries which tones down the sweetness and makes it less candy-ish. Overall this is a nice scent, quite light-hearted and fun and not at all sinister like the story its based on.

Edited by Shollin

Twizzlers! Seriously, this is the smell of Twizzlers with a light touch of cinnamon on me, though I have the feeling it would probably be juicier on someone whose chemistry isn't all screwy. Very nice!

In the bottle, Hideous Heart is straight up Luden's Cherry Cough Drops - which are not medicinal in any way, I would eat them year long if I could find them heh

After I tested some on my hand it kept the strong cherry scent for about 5 seconds before turning to almost-angry cinnamon. I think the licorice root keeps it from going Cinnamon-Red-Hots. In the drydown the cherry comes back, the licorice plays along, and the cinnamon is still front and center. Luckily the cinnamon dulls down as the time passes.

After about 20 min it hits the magical peak. This is such a unique and beautifully blended scent, I mean, it's 'seamless', if that makes sense. The notes play together so well after about 20 min that you really don't know where one starts and another one ends. I think I like this one the best of the 4, and I know it gets my husband's vote as the favorite.

in the bottle a lovely, ripe cherry, very rich and cheerful

wet on skin amp ye cinnamon! spicy cherry with a dark heart of sticky sweet licorice. the cherry is reading quite tart in this phase

dry on skin cinnamon ramps down and the sweet, anise-y note is blending more seamlessly with the cherry. a very warm, fruity, and strangely comforting scent. huge winner in my haul. i love this!

this soaks into my skin and is gone in just a couple of hours time, completely. rats.

Edited by ravenfeathers

Wet: Cherry Nyquil

Freshly dry on skin: Red Twizzlers

As it wears: Red hot candies

I look forward to wearing this in colder weather!

In the bottle, cherry licorice.

Wet on my skin, this starts out as very intense cherry with a cinnamon twist.

As it begins to dry, the cherry softens a little and I can now smell the licorice note again.

It's a bit overwhelming at first, but once dry this stuff smells divine. :heart:

I agree with the above posts. It smells just like Ludens Cough drops in the bottle. On my skin, it turns into Red Hot candies. Unfortunately , it doesn't last long, but it yummy while it does!! This one is a keeper and maybe a back up as well!

I kept sniffing this on my arm and it reminded me of some candy I used to eat but couldn't put my finger on it until I read TheIceMaiden & GypsyRoseRed's reviews and I think they hit the nail on the head. It smells like red Twizzlers but with cinnamon. Years ago when I was in Middle School we used to go across the street to this Health Food store and they sold these huge ropes of red licorice, it was the best licorice ever and it was like 3 feet long ... HH smells just like it. I'm loving this. It brings back fond memories for me.

Right away I got Red Hots & thought,"Crap, this isn't going to work on me!" It slowly turned into a creamy cherry scent on my skin which smells freaking fantastic. Thank Goddess!!!

Need to order another bottle asap!

:wub:

Cold sniff: Sweet cherry syrup and cinnamon oil.

Wet on skin: Cinnamon oil with a touch of cherry candy. The cinnamon flash goes away quick, like 10 minutes and it was gone.

Drydown: Mmmmm, this is like cherry nibs with a touch of something sinister. Must be the licorice root. :yum:

I dabbed this lightly at around 8am this morning. Now at 2pm, it's completely gone. I'll have to slather next time. :P

In the bottle, this smells just like black cherry kool-aid powder. Tart and scary.

On my skin, the cinnamon comes rushing in to terrorize everyone. Sharp, aggressive cinnamon. It eats the cherry alive and leaves no traces left behind. Every once in a while, I think I smell something licorice-like underneath the cinnamon, but it just smells strange.

I'm not sure why I bought a bottle of this, because I know that bpal's cinnamon amps up and goes all sharp and overwhelming on my skin. It makes me smell like cheap, obnoxious potpourri :(.

Hideous Heart is not a keeper for me. I have to wash off this cinnamon-fest before it starts to give me a splitting headache...

Dark, almost bloody, cherry lollipop with cinnamon goo. No licorice. It's really powerful wet (my nose burned when I sniffed it straight in the imp), but not as much on the drydown. It's still spiced red candy, but with a dry, antiqued edge. It's hard, serious candy-- lonely and bitter because it was left to sit at the bottom of the bowl for years, uneaten and unloved.

Sigh. not so much for me.

Hello thurr, Hearth 2004! If anyone was looking for you and couldn't find you easily, I would direct them to Hideous Hearth Heart.

EDIT: It's interesting that I went back to my decant, which was all cherry last time (ala Hearth 2004) and when I put it on this time, the cherry burned off super-quick, leaving cinnamon. I don't know if my decant has changed over time or if the cinnamon was always there, but it's a lot less like Hearth 2004 now.

Edited by Ondine

Hideous Heart

Snap Judgements: I’m a big Poe fan, and although Tell-Tale Heart isn’t my favorite Poe story, it’s the first one I ever read. Add that to the fact that the note list reads like a dream, and Hideous Heart sounds right up my alley.

In the Bottle: Cherry Jolly Rancher! Jolly Ranchers have a very distinct scent to my nose – they smell *clear*, kind of like how I imagine flavored glass would smell. That’s what I’m getting here.

Wet: The cherry is still here, but the licorice is starting to darken the scent now. Instead of Jolly Rancher, now it’s Twizzler. It’s beautiful, but there is very little throw, and I literally have to get my nose right up on my skin to smell it.

Dry: I’m picking up all of the notes now: cherry, licorice, and tiny hint of cinnamon. It smells exactly like a Twizzler with a light dusting of cinnamon! If you’re worried about the cinnamon, don’t be, because it’s very subtle in this blend.

Final Thoughts: This breaks my heart! Hideous Heart is gorgeous, especially in its simplicity, but it just disappears on my skin. I’m going to have to think about whether I want to keep it.

Edited by millicurie

Twizzlers with a bite. :yum: I would have to say the first time a cherry scent did not go wonky with my skin chemistry.

bottle: all cherries. like a freshly opened jar of black cherries with some booze in the syrup.

wet: cherry and licorice. this is very similar to kabuki, just minus the red musk. very tangy cherry with a licorice waft at eh end. the cinnamon is not burning my skin (i feared it would) and the whole thing smells very much like a spiced cherry dessert.

dry: the cherry has vanished! this is all licorice and cinnamon. there is a sweetness that i would likely attribute to the cherry but the cherry-ness is completely absent. interesting, i like it very much.

Normally I'm not a big fan of cherry and at first this did have me worried (smelled like cough syrup), but once on it dried down to to a spicy, sweet almost candy scent, but not quite. Very interesting and somehow a bit evil smelling, if that makes any sense. :lol:

When dh smelled he said "Ooooh! I LIKE it!" and sniffed again.

It's a keeper! LOL. I'm not sure how often I will wear it, but I can see it being a nice pick-me-up scent this fall/winter when I need something different from my musk/foody/spice cool weather scents.

Hideous heart is everything I was hoping it would be. Its all cinnamon and cherry licorice and pretty. I thought it seemed light and slathered a little more, but it strengthens as I'm wearing it and lasts long. The cherry sticks around and stays a spiced up cherry/cinnamon with neither note outsmelling the other. I like it a lot. I think it would layer well with Suck It to add more cherry sweetness.

I was very leery about this because cherry normally either turns sickeningly sweet or gets a cough medicine smell to it. But when I opened the imp I was immediately assulted by the scent of cherries, real cherries, not the candied kind, rich and juicy. Wet the cinnamon made an appearance but it was just a background note, and not the red hot kind that so often seems to come up. Then when it tries it gets a little tart which I'm going to say is the licorice root, and there's only the slightest hint of cinnamon. Am definitely going to have to get a bottle of this.

In the bottle I get a nose-full of cinnamon! That's pretty much all I get. On me I get either Hot Tamales (the candy) or those cinnamon gummy bears. I'm really liking this one, bet it will age really well!

In the vial: BLACK CHERRY! Mmmm

Wet: Black cherry, cinnamon and a wood note in the background. I'm not smelling any licorice. Maybe the wood note I'm smelling is the licorice root??

Dry: As this dries the cherry fades away a bit and the cinnamon note completley takes over. I'm left with a big, bright red hot cinnamon note with a background of sweet cherry.

Overall: Cinnamon, cherries...I knew this one was going to be a winner :) :wub2:

Oh gods, I love this!

In the Imp: Thick cherry sweetness. Uh oh.. I am not sure about this, I hope it doesn't turn boozy like cough syrup.

Wet: Oh, hello cinnamon. Cinnamon is mingling with the licorice root creating a spicy woody yumm. Cherry is getting more calm, like the cinnamon and the licorice wrapped the cherry in a cozy blanket and sat down together for a hug fest.

Dry: Sweet and spicy, no booze (thank gods!), just pure love.

Overall I am so happy that I have 2 decants of this, for I will probably need more very soon. :wub:

Thick cherry syrup with cinnamon. This one is quite foodie, and the cherry is very sweet, but it reminds me to cough syrup. Sad.

Just got my bottle of this in the mail today, eager to test it. ^^

In the bottle, I get the same sort of scent that I did with Suck It; the black cherries are definitely here, but I think there's something deeper on second sniff, either the licorice or cinnamon. On my skin, I get an absolutely beautiful mix of cherries and cinnamon, with a bit of licorice lurking beneath. Oh, wow, this is beautiful. Definite keeper, this one.

Edited by Venneh