Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Seraphim

A perfume sacred to the highest of the angelic hosts: calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, Damascus rose and frankincense.

Fresh From The Imp: Heavy rose.

Wet On My Flesh: Rose still heavy, getting wisteria & calla lily. Not much of the other two.

Drying Down: More of the wisteria, and stronger lily. Rose has died down.

Hour To Integrate: Reminding me of those bath cubes I used to get when I was little; floral and a little soapy.

End Of Day/Final Report: Not really for me.

Edited by Mistress Tera

Wet: A floral boquet.

Dry: This is strongly wisteria, very damp ad almost musky.

Overall this scent is very airy and light, a good match with the ame.

seraphim on me is... the sweet sweet smell of permanent marker. :D

combined with the kind of incense smell i remember from visiting buddhist temples when i was a tinier me than in my avatar. it reminds me of being very young and everything being far bigger than me. i like this scent. :P

In the bottle, Seraphim is very floral. I didn't get any rose from it at all, or any other specific type of flower I could identify; it simply smelled of many, many white flowers.

Almost immediately upon application, though, the scent went from a mass of white flowers to flowers and soap to flowers and... the beach. Not the aftershavey salt tang of Lightning, but the actual scent of a beach. What the hell?

I assumed that was the frankincense I was smelling, but more recently I tried The Queen of Hearts and got a similar effect, so it must have been something in the florals - the lily, perhaps.

Seraphim ended up falling into the "rather nice floral" territory for me. Wearable (i.e. no crazy rose or jasmine amping) but I'm typically not a floral girl.

Sandalwood and frankincense. This is a light floral scent; clean and airy flowers that waft by silently, not the kind that overpowers and induces headaches.

Edited by PilotKitten

This is a heady, creamy floral blend that smells almost like gardenia to me. I can smell the lily and a touch of rose but these are dominated by another rich, heady floral. Looking at the notes I suppose that’s the wisteria but I don’t know what that smells like. There’s a nice base underneath the florals. Smelling it after I’ve just applied it, it brings to mind Sleepy Moon oh so slightly, which I ADORE. When I first sniffed this in the imp I was rather uncertain and thinking that I wouldn’t mind passing this imp along, but as it wears I find myself sniffing my wrist repeatedly. The frankincense adds a touch of astringency to it and bit of sharpness to the florals. As it wears the base become stronger. Nice, I like it! Thanks GC swap!

Edited because I have a crazy nose.

Edited by cranberry

Seraphim - Sniffed wet in the vial, I smell calla lily and rose. But the moment this blend touches my skin, it becomes 100% wisteria, and it’s gorgeous. It reminds me of a home I lived in where wisteria grew all along the entire back fence, and every spring, for couple of weeks, I had fresh wisteria on my table every single day. This is just gorgeous, but I don’t smell any of the other notes. I have a feeling that someone with different skin chemistry that amps up the wisteria a bit less could smell the other notes in this blend. But it doesn’t matter to me, as I love it just the way it is. Great throw, but it had fairly poor staying power.

Once applied, this very quickly becomes something that reminded me strongly of the antibacterial Softsoap in my bathroom.

Verdict: Chokingly floral, antibacterial soap. I've rarely (if ever) had a bpal go entirely soap so fast before. I'm not even going to rate it out of a scale of ten because my rating would be unfairly low due to my damned skin chemistry's problems with rose and many other florals. Disappointing, as I love the inspiration for this scent! Oh, well. :P

Court

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Calla lily.

Preconceived notions: I'm more than a bit wary of this. Sandalwood, rose and fra

In the imp: Sweet and... not bad. Not great, but I'm not running away in terror.

On skin, wet: ...Okay, I've smelled this before. But where, and what is it? It smells kind of... sour. Bad.

On skin, dry: JULIET. That's where I've smelled this before, and this is exactly what I get with Juliet. Going by the notes, it must be the calla lily. It's very soapy. I know I've smelled soap like this somewhere. Hmm. I thought the evil note in Juliet had been sweet pea.

Conclusion/Notes: Well, I know two things: I don't like this, and I don't like calla lily. And now I'm suddenly unsure of sweet pea.

Seraphim

In the imp: wisteria! With a little bit of Rose Cross's rose-frankincense.

Wet on skin: wisteria and resinous rose.

Dry on skin: this is very much like Rose Cross or All Saints but with added wisteria and lily. it's not bad but there's something about it that's going weird on my skin-it could be the wisteria doing that as I know the flowers can have a slight bitter scent to them…though BPAL wisteria is usually nice on me. But it also could be the lily? I don't know. It smells like salty olives and something rotting on me, and a little bit of pickle. It's not particularly nice-something about the way the notes interact that I don't like, despite the fact that I can smell the nicer rose and frankincense underneath.

After a while: it does eventually settle down and it's a lot more pleasant-it's not as dissonant. The wisteria and dry sandalwood seem to work nicer with the resinous rose note, it's quite nice at this point, but I'm not in love with it just yet.

And then the scent becomes much nicer upon late drydown. The rose and sandalwood merge so nicely to form a rosy and woody note that is soft and warm, with a little bit of frankincense lingering, and wisteria clinging on to the edges.

Verdict: I really didn't like this on my skin at the beginning-it smelt really off and the notes just didn't seem to co-operate very well, everything clashed and conflicted. Not exactly angelic behaviour. But it does improve over time-but it takes a lot of time (about 2 hours) before the scent becomes a pleasant rose sandalwood combination which I really like. it's very pretty, warm and woody at this point, but I really couldn't bear the first dry stage of this scent so I think it's one for swaps. I prefer Hymn, Rose Cross and All Saints to this.

Emoticon rating: :P

Woah. This scent goes straight through my head. It's white and sweet and so piercing it makes my teeth ache when I sniff my wrist. I'm not sure why this combination is so disagreeable to me -- the notes don't offend me individually. Frankincense often goes too sweet on me, but I can't really smell any frankincense in here. And oh great, I get the extra special bonus pounding headache from this one. Perhaps this blend is too angelic for me. 'Fraid this one's getting washed off.

In the imp: A pale pink floral. I smell all the notes, but they are very well-blended.

On me, wet: This smells warm. The frankincense is a bit more prominent.

On me, dry: Richly floral and incensey.

Verdict: I love it. It's the more sophisticated older sister of Rose Cross.

In the imp: Floral. White florals. Perfumey. Clean. Innocent. Sweet.

On the wrist, wet: Heavy on the florals. Why do I keep trying florals when I know my chemistry tortures them? As of yet, it's still a nice beautiful floral, big white waxy blooms I see. Jasmine or magnolia maybe?

Drydown: Oh no, is that gardenia? *checks the description* Hmm, must be the calla lily that keeps telling me white florals. It's getting all heavy soapy thick. I really should stop torturing all the floral blends. They deserve better than this....

5 minute mark: I am starting to get the incense in this, which is another note my skin warps. I predict by ten minutes I am going to be washing off a powdery mess.

Final Analysis: My skin has done it's horrible thing. The sandalwood and frankincense are pure powdery yick and the florals are so very amped and sweet as to make my teeth hurt. Off to the sink to wash this off, and then off to the swaps. I am sure this is a wonderful smell for someone who's skin chemistry isn't quite as obstinate.

This truly is an angelic smelling scent. The dominant notes are the lily, the damascus rose, and a faint breath of frankincense to keep it interesting. It's very light, airy, and feminine to the max. Conjours images of fluffy clouds and cherubs. The lily note in this is a particularly lovely one, very sweet and a perfect companion to the rose note. There is not a lot of throw, and unfortunately blends like this don't last long on me. It's a lovely blend just the same.

In the imp: Strong, slightly spicy floral.

On skin: First it's jasmine and then gardenia :l There's a very slight hint of something rose-like in the background, then it turns to a sweet, medicinal, powdery floral. This one doesn't work for me...

This scent is amazing. On me, it's a beautiful combination of pure rose and incense, and it lingered for quite a long time. After about four hours, the scent was barely there, but I kept catching whiffs of it for another four hours.

It strongly evokes associations with Catholicism for me, which is just what I was hoping for. And on an unexpected note, although this isn't necessarily supposed to be one of the sexier scents, my husband had a very positive reaction to it. Hee.

I am DEFINITELY buying a bottle of this.

Wet this is sweet gardenia and almost smells like suntan lotion. When first on it's freesia or wisteria or hyacinth or some pale purple or white flowers (and it smells kind of like bathroom air freshener). This becomes a bit powdery but doesn't change much on me. The is very light and not very long lasting on me. It's pretty but just a so-so scent.

On me, this is a high white floral with a dash of something earthier that may be one of the notes going weird. I can't smell the frankincense or sandalwood at all...I was hoping for something more like Rose Cross. I'll let it age a while and see if the florals tone down and the resins come out to play. I've been showing most of the scents to my boyfriend as well, and my reaction to the scent as a whole can be summed up by our interaction:

Him: See, in traditional Kabbalistic angelology, seraphim were vast beings of light far beyond our comprehension.

Me: Not cala lilies.

Him: Not so much.

:P

Seraphim-

In Bottle: A very nice bright floral; hint of sandalwood.

Wet: That sandalwood makes it interesting! A little cloying, floral and herbal, but I'll wait a bit and see.

Dry: I can already tell, after a few minutes, that this one won't have a lot of staying power and won't be remarkable. It's not unpretty but it just doesn't make me excited or even keep me interested.

Overall: Unremarkable.

Bottle: Rose with strong incense wafting about it. The lilly tends to support it making it have a kind of a clear note.

Upon skin: Usually Calla lily tends to dominate a few moments making the blend seem old ladyish upon me. But not in this blend, it tempers the Lily and the Rose. The resins are soft and almost reminds me of my beloved Parlement of Foules but less smokey then it.

Drydown: Roses, Incense and a tiny wafting of smoke. I know a lot of people make remark that it's unremarkable but my fiancee remarks that it smells book shop-ish. I like it because the throw isn't very large but it's enough. Perfect for studying, book reading or those cool autumn days.

I'm glad I have a 5ml bottle.

Edited by Deiicide

this is just pure rose... and not a pleasant rose for me. I never got a whiff of incense or any other floral in there - straight rose.

it's not for me.

off it goes!

I was really, really hoping that Seraphim would be wonderful. I had such high expectations, but to my dismay I found that once I put it on, it went all... well, for lack of a better term, old-lady-perfume-y on me. It smelled so nicely on incense in the bottle, I was very happy; but once on me it turned. I'm not sure why this is, but I'm really sad about.

I wanted so much to like this.

Oh well! Swap pile :P