Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin Patch III
Pumpkin, fir needle, pitch, rosemary, and tomato.

In bottle: Whoa! This is the most pumpkin pumpkin patch I’ve ever smelled. The fir and tomato complement the pumpkin beautifully. It smells like early autumn garden. Nice. Wet: Even richer on the skin The sweet pumpkin does lovely things with the tomato/rosemary/fir. I think I’m in love. I was hoping for a pumpkin cousin to planting moon and the gamble paid off. Dry: Almost apple cidery pumpkin with tomato dominant garden. The elements shift some, but it remains fascinating

I, too, was hoping for a pumpkiny version of Planting Moon, and oh boy does this do the trick for me.

Bottle - Stronger than Planting Moon, with a sweet buttery addition. I am quite excited.

Wet - I was hoping that the tomato was tomato leaf or the outside of a green or home-grown tomato rather than the inside of a red one. And I WIN! This is a perfect, moist, shady, green scent. All tomato leaf and the milky sap from what I like to imagine is pumpkin vines. The fir is, to me, not overly prominent, but lends a deeper, greener and shadowy tone to the scent. I don't get much pumpkin at all this stage, just a sweetness and buttery note.

Dry- And the pumpkin slowly rolls in. It's sun-warmed and smooth, not too sweet. Too sweet or too rich would detract from the lovely greenness of the rest of the scent. This is just perfect. And it's not squashy, it's, well, buttery is the only word for it. Like pumpkin pie without any of the spices, but better.

Layering - I tried this on one hand with a bit of Bezoar on my other hand, and it became the smell of the most glorious hayride ever! WOOOO!

I love the tomato in this one. It's very strongly pitch-y at first but when it dries the most beautiful garden/pumpkin scent emerges. I think this is my favorite of the 09 pumpkins.

Yow! Tomato, like standing in the yard picking off the tomato worms.

Drying, it settles down a bit, and I can smell the rosemary, fir and pumpkin. It's still a little rough and sharpish. Definitely a garden, and a productive one. If I came inside after working in a garden and smelled like this, I'd know I had been working.

Later, it settles into a warm musky spice, that still smells just a little like sunwarmed leaves.

Edited by Aerinha

I used to never buy these pumpkin scents because pumpkin in the blends usually is way too creamy, buttery and foodie for my tastes.

Pumpkin #5 from 2007 changed my mind about this, having ginger, lemon peel and benzoin in it. Over two years, the pumpkin in this blend has gotten less buttery and foodie, with the more spicy and herbal elements making it smell better than it was when it was new.

So, I decided to buy another pumpkin because I saw this one had tomato in it and I loved the Planter's Moon, which also had a tomato note in it. The rest sounded bizarre...fir, rosemary...pitch? I wasn't even sure what pitch was...it's pine resin...I looked it up. Or else it's a tar note. :)

Anyway, I have another non-foodie winner. If you don't like the traditional pumpkin scents or think they are too sweet, buttery or creamy for your tastes, try this one.

It starts out very spicy. Hurts-your-nose spicy. It reminds me a lot of Pumpkin 5 (07) in that respect. But the tomato note is strong first. Smells like a field of gourds and vegetables being harvested. I can make out a slight medicinal undertone. I am not sure if that is fir needle, pitch, rosemary, two of them or all three.

After a half hour of so, the rosemary comes on very strong. The tomato is still there. Of course, the main note of pumpkin lingers. It smells very green and fresh, but not a timid fresh, this fresh means business. I can really smell the complexity of the rosemary coming on by the time an hour has passed.

As it starts to mellow, I do get a slight, very slight pine/fir scent. Like a herby almost basil like pine, if that can be imagined.

It shows no sign of going away. It is an all day scent with a great throw. It tops my previous favorite, Pumpkin 5 (07). It gives me hope that each year, there will be a non-foodie (as in baked good or dessert) pumpkin out there for us non-foodie people to enjoy.

Happy to have bought this.

Note I have dry pale skin. It might act differently on a different skin makeup.

Edited by Madame Nyx

I was so hopeful when I ordered pumpkin III. I adore Planting Moon and wanted an autumnal version.

Sadly for me this year's pumpkin note turns my stomach. It does not smell anything like pumpkin to me, more plastic like and toxic almost. I am really glad this is working for other folks, but on me this was an immediate pass. I tried again a couple weeks later. Still made my stomach turn over. I have given this to a friend.

:(

bottle: pine and tomato leaf with a backdrop of pumpkin sweetness.

wet: very strong pine pitch and tomato leaf! there is pumpkin way in the background but whoa! this one is strong!

dry: the pine and tomato tame a bit once dry but are still quite prominent. the pumpkin has warmed and balances the sharpness of this scent quite well. very unusual but nice.

I was so hopeful when I ordered pumpkin III. I adore Planting Moon and wanted an autumnal version.

Sadly for me this year's pumpkin note turns my stomach. It does not smell anything like pumpkin to me, more plastic like and toxic almost. I am really glad this is working for other folks, but on me this was an immediate pass. I tried again a couple weeks later. Still made my stomach turn over. I have given this to a friend.

:(

Said friend c'est moi. We have very different skin chemistry, and I was hoping that the tomato and greener elements would win out over the sweet pumpkin elements (I like pumpkin to a certain extent, but wanted something fresher for autumn). I tried it at LunarAwe's home and, although I could detect a faint hint of tomato and rosemary after it had been drying on my skin a bit, mostly Pumpkin III smelled like candied plastic pumpkin on me. :sad:

Ah well. One fewer bottle to have to horde.

Edited by Tracelina

Pumpkin III 2009

Snap Judgements: I initially didn’t include this on my ‘weenie decant wishlist because tomato = eeeeewwww. I can’t stand the smell, taste or texture of tomatoes. But I love pumpkin, fir, and rosemary, so I threw it in my order at the last minute.

In the Bottle: Not bad, not bad… The pumpkin is very prominent, and I can also pick up the rosemary very well. The best news? No tomato to be found.

Wet: Mmmm… The pumpkin is definitely the star here, with fir and rosemary darkening it up. I’ve been disappointed in some of the other Patch blends that didn’t have enough pumpkin, so this is a very good thing. I can’t pick out any tomato so far. Throw is a tiny bit weak in this stage.

Dry: Wow. There isn’t a lot of morphing from the wet stage, except for the fir becoming a little more dominant and the throw increasing a lot. The pumpkin is buttery, warm, and not-too-sweet. The fir and rosemary really ground the blend and give the pumpkin a deep green and spicy feeling. Maybe the tomato here is actually tomato leaf, because I have yet to detect any vile red tomato scent. Pumpkin III is not an overly complex blend, but it captures the essence of fall perfectly for me. It feels very natural, as if you are picking pumpkins in the garden rather than eating them in a pie.

Final Thoughts: OMG I love this! I am so surprised by Pumpkin III, and can’t believe that I almost left it out of my decant order. This is going to get worn a LOT this fall, so I need to track down a bottle immediately!

This pumpkin is one of many that I've tried over the years from BPAL. However, it's the first one where I had an "AHA!" moment about pumpkin scents :)

This is just lovely - the pumpkin is sweet and a tad fruity in tone but it's backed beautifully by the tomato and rosemary and fir. It helps give it an earthy, toned down feel which works wonderfully.

I love the smell and keep sniffing my arm but... as mentioned, I came to my AHA moment about pumpkin scents finally. I keep buying them and trying them because the descriptions pull me in (being a fan of Autumnal scents) and I usually end up liking the scent, if not loving it. And then I end up with bottles that I never wear. I could never figure out WHY this was but it dawned on me with this one - I love the scents but I love them in the way that you love a really nice candle or room spray. But as a body scent - something I'd smell on myself - it just doesn't appeal. It makes me think of some of the yummier Yankee Candle Company candles - which are great smelling! And I love my HOUSE to smell like that, but not me.

So in short - I love this scent - it's a beautiful combination and certainly evokes Autumn thoughts. But it's not very wearable to me, and would make a much better room spray!

Pupkin III (2009) - This one opened with a blast of sweet, warm, buttery pumpkin, followed quickly by the weird and lovely aromas of rosemary and tomato with a hint of evergreen behind them. It was a really unique, herbal type scent until five minutes later, when it disappeared with the exception of a soft hint of earthy pumpkin on my skin.

This is one is all pumpkin and fir on my skin. The fir overwhelms the pumpkin as it dries and begins to smell more like a Yule blend than a Weenie. This is probably the only one of the Pumpkin Patch this year that I am not so fond of.

This is the first pumpkin I've tried this year....I was really interested in this one for the tomato note :D

In the vial this smells like pure pumpkin.

When I put this on my skin it's ALL tomato and rosemary on my skin. As it dries the pumpkin starts to show up in the background, it's faint but it's there...I think the pumpkin adds more of a creamy smoothness to the sharp fresh notes of the pine, herb and tomato.

Like Lambs-Wool, this is probably something I'd like to see in an atmosphere spray, in a candle or in an oil burner. I really love the tomato note, just not on my skin.

In the imp: The sweetness of the rosemary, distinct pine and pitch, faint pumpkin, all present and accounted for. But where's the tomato?

Wet: Oh, here it is! The sharpness of the tomato, or like tomato leaf, is the first obvious note, but the pumpkin is already starting to soften that. But here comes the pine and the pitch blasting out of nowhere, and bringing the rosemary's sweetness along with them.

The Dry-down: This is quite yummy! Everything is starting to finally blend together. I must admit that I was sort of hoping for a pine and pumpkin version of Planting Moon, but this is lovely without evoking that scent at all. Going to be a grand autumnal scent.

Edited by thekittenkat

In the bottle, this smells like sweet pumpkin and a hint of green, fuzzy tomato leaves. I would never have thought of mixing pumpkin and tomato leaf, but it smells really wonderful. I love the smell of tomato leaves <3.

The pumpkin in this isn't as buttery as it normally is on my skin. It's almost like a sweet pumpkin frosting smell, paired with the slightly spicy, fuzzy green tomato leaf.

As this dries down, I smell the fir/pine pitch note and it's dark and slightly smoky on my skin. Sweet pumpkin (that's more of a sugar & spice scent on me at this point) with a background of dark, smoky woods and a hint of spicy tomato leaf. It reminds me of Troll & The Jersey Devil, but with the addition of lots of sweet pumpkin frosting.

My hubby thought that this was too sweet and told me that it smells like sugar on me. I like it, though, and am happy to have a partial bottle. I might try layering it with Planting Moon...

Oh man, this pumpkin does all the wonderful things that I hoped it would! Seriously in love here people. ;)

In the Imp: I get the buttery pumpkin and a whole lot of pitch and tomato. I was a little scared that this would go all weird, but the tomato was giving me hope. Let me clarify that I get the greenery of the tomato, not the red fleshy bits.

Wet: Pumpkin and pitch, but now the rosemary is starting to mix in a bit and sweeten up the pitch. The fir needles and the tomato are mixing well creating a great crisp fall feeling that people have mentioned.

Dry: The pumpkin took a back seat in this one for me, hanging close to my skin, while the herb-ie rosemary and green tomato leaf and fir went to the front and amped themselves a bit. The pitch keeps everything bound together and not too sweet or too herbal.

This has moderate throw and I am not sure on the lasting power as I just put it on this morning for the first time. I'll update that part later. But I am very happy with this blend. A bottle or two is surely called for!

8.9 out of 10

ETA: I had this on the other night at a friend's and all the guys said that I smelled like maple syrup. :(

Edited by Xanon

Tangy, sappy pumpkin. I am straining to smell the tomato, but it's not there distinctly. I think all the other notes are combining into one sharp, tangy smell that is dueling with the spicy pumpkin. I was hoping for a more natural pumpkin and less pumpkin pie scent, but this one just misses the mark. I think I'll enjoy it, though. As it dries, the sharpness almost turns into a creamy, candied pumpkin scent.

EDIT: I wore this to Zombieland tonight and I like it a lot more than I did originally. It dries down to a candied pumpkin with a touch baby powder and fir. I could do without the powder, but the rest it nummy.

Edited by Rheliwen

When this stuff goes on, it's all pumpkin and fir needle. Then, as it dries down, I smell more of the tomato leaf.

All around excellent.

Perfect for warmer autumn days.

This is probably one of the best pumpkin blends (with the exception of Pumpkin Queen) that I have tried in a long, long, time.

Pumpkin III is earthy, green, crisp and unbelievably herbal. The rosemary, the fir needle & the tomatoe blend so well together with pumpkin. This is a gardeners dream. I can almost feel the fuzzy tomatoe leaves, and that scent when you touch them.

I am definitely going to have to pick up a bottle of this, it is that good.

This was a bit of a surprise for me. When I first applied, all of the notes ended up in a rather funky cacophony on my skin. It was rather unpleasant for about 5 minutes. And then, all of a sudden, the notes blended WONDERFULLY. The drydown resulted in the most amazing garden scent, warm and earthy without being dank. I was worried this was going to go savory on me what with the rosemary, but thankfully it didn't. I was pleasantly surprised. The pumpkin managed to sweeten the blend up enough. The end product was a sweet deep woodsy pumpkin.

This smells very... garden like. I get the pumpkin, something resembling fir, and green leaves. If it had a dirt note, I would think I was outside gardening. Pleasant, but not for me.

This one really surprised me. I added it to my order at the last minute, but of the three pumpkin scents I have tried, it is my favorite. In the imp, it is all sweetness - I guess the sweetness I am smelling is the pitch? I am not sure, but this is lovely. On wet, it smells pretty much like it did in the bottle, with the pumpkin add a bit of buttery-ness without overpowering the more delicate scents that it is blended with. As it dries, the fir comes out more and adds even more depth to this. A surprise hit and I am considering a bottle.

This is the least sweet pumpkin scent I've ever smelled. Most pumpkin fragrances take the buttery spice of the pie version as a necessary inclusion, but Pumpkin III is just a fresh, entirely natural... squash sort of smell. Like cool pumpkin flesh (but not the mushy guts). It's very light and delicate, with an airy, outdoorsy mood. Definitely not rich or heavy. And not at all foody.

I also smell a little rosemary and a slight, watery tomato note. Again, not like tomato sauce or anything, but just the faint scent of a recently rained-upon tomato plant. No pitch or pine for me.

Not sure a bottle is necessary, but I really like it, and it's highly unique.

I'm a bit disappointed in this one. For me, the pumpkin is completely overshadowed by the fir and rosemary. This is a very clean scent; not "just out of the shower" clean, "eco-friendly cleaning product" clean. There s a laundry detergent at the health food co-op I go to with a similar scent, which I have never purchased because I don't like my clothes to have a smell.

The cleanness is probably why I'm most disappointed. Based on the description and reviews I was expecting the green dirty smell of my hands after weeding a garden. This is nothing like that.

I'm just getting into BPAL after many years of not wearing scents at all and I'm still learning what notes I actually like. Overall, this is not a bad scent, just not for me. I wouldn't have a problem with a co-worker wearing it as it does not trigger my headache or sneezing reaction to many (mostly floral) scents.

The spicy pumpkin note is balanced here by astringent fir needles and the wonderful, clean, summery scent of tomatoes on the vine. These notes don’t really “go together” in my mind…a pumpkin pie in a tomato garden in a forest? But it makes for an interesting perfume. I hope BPAL someday releases a scent that is just ripe tomatoes, because it’s an awesome note.