Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Succubus

Bat-winged, flame-eyed, and possessed of an unearthly, perfect beauty: the Daughters of Lilith, the Succubi, invade the dreams of men and lie with them in rapturous, unholy sexual union. The scent of their skin is bittersweet, dusky and terminally seductive. Mimosa, orange blossom, neroli and bergamot with a drop of sweet clove.

Wet: Big fruity, juicy citrus.

First on: Almost cloyingly sweet citrus.

Dry: Unchanged on drydown. A bit too sweet for me, I think. Edited by Shollin

I agree with the previous reviewer who said that this is surprisingly outdoorsy. It's very green, somewhat sweet and sharp. It's also a bit medicinal. I can't really pick out any individual notes and it doesn't smell at all like I expected. I don't really like it and will be sending it off to someone who might have more luck. :(

Very sharp and bitter on my skin. I think it is the neroli that is doing this. Oddly, it smells like a sharp, bar of soap. I'll wait till this mellows more on my skin. Faint wafts of bergamot, but it's smothered under the heavy neroli and orange blossom. I like my citrus scents to be bright and sweet, this is very dark and heavy. It's very dark orange in tone. I'll probably end up swapping my imp. I like other citrus scents way more than this, alas.

This is very strongly orange blossom in the bottle, with a little bit of sweetness (either citrus or clove?)

When I first put it on, it's like orange blossom IN YO FACE!!! And neroli. I'm not a huge fan of either of these. Then, oddly enough, it drys down to a powdery (in a nice way), sweet, candy-ish, Lush Creamy Candy/Think Pink type scent. Maybe this only happens on my skin. Almost reminds me of Candy Phoenix on the drydown. Very nice! Not a huge fan of it wet, but I loooove the drydown. :smile:

Sniffing the imp, it's orange blossom and herb.

Wet on the skin, it's still orange blossom and green herb. It's bittersweet on my skin.

As it dries, the herb smell is gone and I'm just left with orange blossom. Very strongly floral on my skin.

It's the orange blossom Khrysee begins with but loses, only this stays the same. My first thought was orange blossom soap, which I see someone else also mentioned. it's pretty simple on me, and has faded in an hour, but I love it. I love orange blossom so it hasn't disappointed, I just think I'd need to reapply, a lot!

This started intriguingly enough, but turned during drydown to something that smelled like clove/patchouli orange soap. When it finally settled down, I had to ponder a while what this made me think of, and I have finally figured it out.

When I was in high school, my best friend was Cantonese, and she had a divine scent that followed her, and I could never figure out where it came from. It was rather like the beauty department of a particular store in Chinatown I used to frequent, something floral, something spicy, something dusky, and entirely foreign.

This reminds me of those smells, but it's not pleasant on me. Trade bag.

I got this as a frimp just yesterday, and had to do an emergency test today as Succubus is being discontinued as of tomorrow. I am relieved that I dodged a bullet on this one, but the fact that 3 of my other favorites are going sort of makes it a pyrrhic victory.

Succubus is light and friendly and flowery (not floral!) on me. Pretty, but not necessarily 'me.' Turns kind of soapy on the drydown, like light scents tend to do on me.

Will definitely test again on a nice summer evening, with a different hormonal status, though!

In bottle/imp: Spiced orangey corn chips and light neroli.

Immediately on skin: This is lightly fruity, with a slight undertone of corn chips and sweet clove. For some reason my nose smells orange blossom as corn chips, so that’s why I get that note. The mimosa in this is very smooth, but with the neroli it has almost a plastic scent.

After a little while: The corn chip scent has mostly gone away, but there’s still something vaguely resembling Fritos here. Otherwise, though, this scent is a very smooth floral blend with hints of orange and then a finish of sweet spice.

Overall Impressions: Orange blossom doesn’t work on my skin, and this blend is no exception. I get something vaguely like corn chips, plus some pretty florals and light citrus with a touch of clove. This scent could be gorgeous… I have no doubt. But it does not work on me.

Smells very soft and pretty in the vial, with a hint of something deeper beneath. I had hope for it.

But it smells exactly like Caress soap on my skin. Exactly like that. Soapy, cloying floral with a tiny bit of orange blossom. Not a fan, not at all. Another one I had to wash off, I couldn't even wait for the complete drydown, the floral scent just kept getting stronger. Ack.

Edited by talula_fairie

Fate be damned that I got into BPAL literally right after this was discontinued. I was skeptical it would work but wanted to try it for the sake of trying it, and now I've fallen prey to the succubus. :lol: The clove is more like the clove in March Hare that doesn't amp to infinity on me, and apparently I don't get the same cloying soapiness out of orange blossom that I do from apple blossom. On me this is a musky floral with hints of citrus (but not overpowering citrus-rind citrus) and a certain deceptive innocence about it that hides a malevolent core. It starts out a bit more citrusy and floral and turns more musky--a skin musk type of musky--as it dries down, which just lures you in. A completely unexpected winner. I really hope I can slowly but surely find enough imps to piece together my own bottle from.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

Let me just preface this review by saying I find this scent sexy as hell. :twisted: It's kind of... odd. And I'm not sure that everyone would consider it a sexy scent but I certainly do! (It also kind of has a scent memory of the beach for me because I took an imp of it to the beach with me one year but that's beside the point :lol: )

In the bottle it's very herby and green with a hint of orange.

Wet on my skin it stays pretty much the same. The orange blossom comes out a bit stronger along with juuuuust a hint of clove. The clove never gets very strong for me at all.

Drying down it stays herby and green with the orange blossom giving the scent a hint of sweetness.

Love it, love it, love it! I don't usually love herbal scents overly much but for some reason I just can't get enough if this one. I am so glad I got a bottle just before it got discontinued!

Sniffed: Orange with a green streak: bright neroli mixed with other fruity and herbal notes.

On skin: Succubus is a very intriguing juxtaposition of soaring, bright orange, and lush, thick green. Neroli is the most forward of the orangey notes, its shrillness only just tempered by the others; the green note can only be mimosa (and possibly clove, though this is not the grittier, burnt clove that I'm familiar with), which grounds the blend and gives contrast. A sweet blend, yes, but also tart, with a lush herbal green kick -- in other words, this is sweetness with an edge, with teeth. The scent is clear, almost shimmering, but also full-bodied. Definitely a potent, unapologetic scent, quite befitting its namesake! Over time the mimosa-green eventually burns off, leaving behind a sweet, gentle orange touched with spice.

Colour impression is, not surprisingly, vivid orange slashed with sparkling emerald green.

Verdict: I haven't smelled anything quite like Succubus, and while it's not entirely my kind of scent, I still find it compelling indeed! I've tested this blend many times, and some days it is more shrill and aggressive, some days tamer and sweeter. Definitely embodies all the characteristics of its namesake!

In bottle: Bergamot dominent spicey florals. I’m not convinced the neroli and the bergamot both were a good idea in the same blend when that blend is so delicate. They seem too strong for mimosa, orange blossom, and cloves. Wet: The bergamot softens on the skin, which really helps. (I like bergamot in fragrances generally, it was just this blend was a problem). It’s still a lot of neroli for the mimosa and orange blossoms, but the balance is not as off. I can barely smell the clove It’s really still not working for me. Dry: Mostly mimosa with a touch of neroli, bergamot, and orange blossom.

In the Imp (ITI): Orange blossom and nerloi are strong one first sniff. There is a faint sweetness that I think comes from the mimosa as well.

Wet: Orange peel and neroli are strong enough to waft from my wrist every time I move my arm while talking a morning walk.

Dry: Sweet but slightly buttery orange blossoms (it’s lost the zest aspect) and hints of warm clove. It’s feminine, pretty, and slightly exotic. Too bad it’s been DC’d.

In the bottle - A green, tart combination of the mimosa and neroli

Wet on me - Neroli is the dominant scent, touched by a hint of soap

Dry on me - A soapy floral

Overall - I didn't expect to like this and it didn't work on my skin anyway

I like neroli a lot so when this one went up on eBay from the Lab I thought I'd go for it.

It's a very different combination and on whole a very unique blend.

Very neroli dominant with orange blossom next and a tiny hint of clove to sweeten the whole deal. No bergamot but since I amp the other 3 notes so well I'd be hard pressed to find it anyway.

I like it, even when it borders on soap territory. It's a little sharp and a little sweet and very sexy.

Happy I took a chance on it!

At first: Soap?

Then: Mmmm, Oranges....

Oranges and Mimosa!

It dries down to a nice orangey floral blend. Not a candy orange, but a lovely orange nonetheless. It's gorgeous. It's a shame it's discontinued.

I get more orange blossom from Succubus than I get citrus per se.  (I actually prefer the sharper tones of neroli or bergamot.)  It dries down into an orange blossom-mimosa that flirts with soapiness and has just a whisper of clove; it does not amp.  Very gentle overall, no throw (which is normal for me) and about average wear length.  It seems like a very classic GC to me.

Hmm, I wanted to like this since I enjoy boozy scents and the other notes. And this could be due to age since this is a discontinued scent and it wasn't a full imp. But on me, it is very faint. By far, one of the closest to skin smelling scents I have tried by BPAL to date.

All I am getting scent wise is the faintest hint of orange blossom. I really can't smell anything else, and I'm shocked I can even smell this. It's almost linen like.

While I do not hate it, the fact that it's showing up like a single note on me and that the wear and throw are horrible make this not worth upgrading for me.