Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Succubus

Bat-winged, flame-eyed, and possessed of an unearthly, perfect beauty: the Daughters of Lilith, the Succubi, invade the dreams of men and lie with them in rapturous, unholy sexual union. The scent of their skin is bittersweet, dusky and terminally seductive. Mimosa, orange blossom, neroli and bergamot with a drop of sweet clove.

First Sniff

Hard to pin down... it's like aniseed, but not quite. Very bitter and aggressive.

Drydown

I can't stop sniffing myself. But I don't like what I'm smelling... I'm getting a dust like smell (think that's bergamot) with a hint of orange. This is going to sound odd but I'm finding this scent quite unsettling, almost creepy.

I'm not sure how long I'll be wearing it.

After a While

The orange gets juicier as time goes on. The scent is more appealing now but I don't think I'll be able to wear this one because of how if feels early on.

Final Verdict

Not for me. The early stages freak me out too much. Pity.

Gasp! This is lovely. In the bottle and wet on the skin, it is the bitterest neroli -- so bitter that I feared I wouldn't like it. However, within seconds on my skin, it dries down to a sweet, creamy, slightly floral neroli with just enough thickness, darkness, and depth. This is what I wished that Lush's Prince smelled like -- neroli, but a lush, sexy neroli rather than a light, watery one. This fragrance has lifted me right out of the "blahs" today and is one of my favorite BPALs to date. Totally uplifting. A scent I could wear daily.

Edited to add: My only complaint with this one is that the scent dissappears from my skin within about half an hour. :P

Edited by summer

If I could tattoo this scent onto my body, I might just do it. This, as well as a few others, was something I really was looking for, and I can't believe that I found something so gorgeous in my first order (granted, I ordered 18 imps, but still).

The oil smelled delicious in the bottle, orgasmic on me, and it lasted for about two hours, though I would get little hints of it here and there in the three-or-so hour mark. The orange blossom and bergamot was a match made in heaven, and I couldn't stop smelling myself to save my soul.

From this last order, I've determined that citrus oils work lovely on me, though they don't last as long as I'd like them to (um... that being forever). If you're noticing a trend in that direction, Succubus is definitely something to give a sniff. If not, well, then stay away, because this precious baby is going to be MINE, MIIIIINE in a bigger bottle!! Oh yes.

-doreen

I've tried Succubus twice and neither time has worked, but for completely different reasons.

Time 1: went straight red-flavored candy on me.

Time 2: now is powdery orange blossoms and something chemical, like those wax lips you get at penny candy stores.

Oh well... this will make someone else very happy.

Edited by ladylatemar

Succubus

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): Initially, this is a very pungent earthy/woodsy scent. I can’t really detect anything other than that. After the first 15 minutes, a slight sweetness begins to come forth.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): I am glad to see the sweetness finally take over. This actually rounds and morphs quite a bit from its wet stage – I’m not turning my nose up anymore. :D The mimosa makes an entrance, and I can just barely detect the clove under it.

Throughout the Day (10am-3pm): Here comes the powdery dry-down. Completely unexpected, as this started out so sharp. At least it isn’t a headache-inducing powder, but powder is never a scent I look forward to smelling like. It is a sweet floral with an underlying earthiness – hard to describe.

By noon, this has morphed yet again. It is now a sweet, mimosa with an underlying ... deepness – and it is slowly losing its staying power. I am saddened by the fact that the cloves have taken a back seat (like with Old Madrid). Earlier, I was only able to detect the barest hint – that didn’t last nearly long enough. :P I want cloves!

By 3pm, this is nearly gone.

This morphs and changes so much as to be complicated. It can’t decide if it wants to be earthy, flowery, spicy or powdery. If it wasn’t for the fact that two of these stages don’t really work for me, I might consider ordering an imp of my own.

This is an imp I borrowed from my friend Julie (Kimberlyn) and she is very much looking forward to its return. I am glad it works out for her – and it also happened to be a very good (hopefully signature) scent for our friend Kim. *shrugs* Two out of three isn’t bad.

When i was younger in autumn we made pomanders (oranges with clove buds sticked in) and this is exactly how they smelled after drying. It brings back the nostagic memories of dried leaves, playing with chestnuts, roasting nuts and drinking "bisschopswine' Makes me long for "sinterklaas' A Dutch celebration on the 5th of decemvber.... oh well :P

It smells strong of oranges and cloves.

Might go well with Lush Red Rooster for there are some of the same ingredients.

BTW yes it smells soapy but i do not consider that a bad thing :D

Edited by quinkel

This was a freebie, and I suspected it was going to be too floral. Also, I don't like bergamot. In the bottle and on first application, it has the same kind of unpleasant undernote I noticed with Vice. Must be the orange blossom, that's the only thing those two have in common. Again, that note faded quickly on me, so it's not a contra-indication in and of itself. 15 minutes later -- okay, but nothing special. R. puts it in the "ew, yuck" category; maybe it'll be easy to let go of.

Several hours later... spoke too soon. This ages, on me, to a light note almost exactly like the Jovan Musk that I used to love on an old boyfriend. Fortunately, it's not one that stays strong for a long time; 8 hours after application, it's detectable but faint, and probably wouldn't be noticed by anyone not slow-dancing with me. Another candidate for the "not while he's around" pile.

Eeeep - I somehow swapped for this without realising it was heavy on the orange blossom. I think I had it mixed up with another scent in my head. I am really not a fan of orange blossom at all, so I knew once I actually read the ingredients that I probably wasn't going to like it.

I can barely detect any other ingredients here. I think part of the reason I dislike orange blossom is that my skin really amplifies it. Therefore I can't really say anything about it except it smells like orange blossom!

I should note, since lots of other people have mentioned it, that I don't get any orange (as in the fruit) note, which to me at least is a world apart from orange blossom. A shame, as I love orange! If it smelled like orange peel, or orange juice, I would adore it.

Overall this one is just not for me, it doesn't work with my skin chemistry or taste.

My initial impression of this was sharp green. That's all. Green green green. I couldn't pick out one single element. Then it dried down into something sweet. Again, I couldn't pick out any particular note.

After reading reviews and giving it a second try, I can definitely smell the neroli and orange blossom. I'm not sure about mimosa, but I think I can smell the bergamot as well. And the drydown? On my first try, violetty clove (for Lushies, this is what I *wish* Skinny Dip would smell like). I don't know if there's actually any violet in it, but that's the impression I got--something floral with the sweet spiciness of clove. The second time, it smelled a bit orangey (??) during the drydown, which only made me like it more. I adore clove scents, so this is definitely a winner!

Mimosa and orange blossom are two favourite scents of mine, so I was pretty excited about Succubus.

In the vial and wet, this was very sharp and sour, but I learnt from Old Madrid that mimosa can sometimes do that to a blend during the wet stage, then mellow down beautifully.

So I waited and waited. Unfortunately, the sourness never went away and that ruined this otherwise pleasant scent for me.

For some strange reason, I kept thinking that there was violet in this blend. Apparently I am not the only one. I wonder what combination of notes causes this.

In the vial, Succubus is all warm, bitter orange and clove with a twist of floral.

On me, it's a very sharp and woody scent for about 20 minutes, then it fades into a soft, sweet orange and clove. Then about 30 minutes in, my skin sucks it up completely and I'm left with nothing.

I like it, but the initial almost-sandalwood scent makes me weep in misery, so I don't think I'll be keeping this impie.

In the bottle: strong bergamot

Wet: spicy tangy neroli

Dry: a powdery floral that disappears after an hour

Verdict: it's not unpleasant, although when it's first applied the orange blossom scent is way too strong, but it's not really for me.

this is the first bpal perfume i've tried, and my first review...

when i first applied succubus, it smelled very strongly of oranges and sort of like pine, as well. the pine quickly faded and the orange smell grew more sweet and powdery. now, hours later, my wrists still smell like oranges and sugar. it reminds me very much of lush's christmas party ballistic - it's got that same very strong, almost harsh orange scent at first, that fades into a sweeter version of itself.

This scent makes me so very happy. It's very dark, while still being sweet. My body chemistry LOVES this - I can still smell it on my wrists at the end of the day. I don't really smell orange in it - the other ingredients blend together beautifully. This was a perfect holiday scent for me.

Succubus is a musky orange scent when wet. And either it wafts really, spectacularly well or I got some in my nose. Bergamot, neroli & mimosa all smell like orange to me, so this is just orange, orange, many shades of orange. As it dries, it's like an orange candy.

Really, if you like orange, then this is the one for you!

The wet stage of this was a very sharp scent - woodsy - made me think of sandalwood even though it doesnt list it on the description. It might have been the bergamot but I'm normally used to smelling bergamot with rose that I wasn't able to pick out the individual notes.

The dry stage was much more pleasant - a mellow sweetness that reminded me a bit of baby powder and the sharpness faded away completely.

Unfortunately this drifted into nothingness within about 30 minutes on me.

Wet

I can smell the mimosa in it but it's not the primary scent to my nose. I also smell citrus fruit at the same time. The bergamot keeps it from being too fruity. Even though the bergamot makes it a little sharp for my taste, I do like it.

10 Minutes

For some reason this is one that turns on me and not for the better, damn. I much liked the way it smelled initially.

I wouldn't buy this again but I would finish the imp.

First sniff from the bottle- Tangy orange

After 10 minutes- I think it is the bergamot in this making it tangy. The clove in the background is very subtle yet still gives it a slight spicy kick.

After 30 minutes- Spiced oranges and bergamot. Lovely!

Summery- Succubus is orangey goodness.

I got a lot of neroli and bergamot in the imp, very strong and smokey and herbal and I wasn't really sure what this was going to do on application. It stayed the same while wet which was a bit scary but the dry down mellowed into an almost smokey fruity scent. The mimosa and something faintly floral are the prominent scents now though I'm wishing more of the clove came through with my chemistry. Intriguing and intoxicating and complex but not quite me. This also fades quickly for me.

Smells like spicy orange herbal tea on me. It might be a bit too tropical for my tastes. I am hoping the clove comes out more as I wear it.

I got this as a frimp in an ebay auction I won. This was on my wishlist anyway though.

Straight away I get neroli. Neroli on my skin either goes to a beautiful soft orange that I absolutely love, or it goes more of a bitter soapy scent. This is what I get in this. I imagined it to be more juicy, but soft and ethereal at the same time. That is the image I get from mimosa and neroli. I didn't get that though. Wet on the skin this is sharp and scary. As it mellows and dries the bitter neroli comes out.

For Lushies out there, this smells EXACTLY like the new Its a Pleasure, Treasure massage bar smells on me. It couldn't get closer actually. And I have a love/hate relationship with that too!

This isn't one I would buy again, but I will no dount use up my frimp as and when I use the massage bar :P

Mimosa adds an interesting edge to Succubus, whose initial stage is otherwise heavily floral on me. Alas, the orange blossom note screws it up for me, as it always does, and turns the whole scent sour. I swapped this one away.

For something described as "bittersweet and dusky," this one is surprisingly sweet and light on me. I get none of the clove at all, nor the bergamot. :-( After 3 hours, the neroli has come out to play, finally. Early on, I think it was all mimosa, because it didn't smell like any of the other more familiar notes to me.