Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A popular holy day beverage in 18th century Ireland: roasted apples mashed into warmed milk and ale, with nutmeg, sugar, ginger, and clove.

Very spicy in the bottle and wet. Upon drydown it at first was like those potpurri simmer-ers that my grandmother uses (which isn't bad, I have an odd nose..). After it sat awhile on my skin the potpurri toned down and a wonderful spiced apple comes out. Nice!

ETA v. 2010

ADDED Sept. 6:

Lambswool 2010

I am wondering if I should age this maybe? It's craft store "red apple" and mulling spices, with none of that creamy subtle buttered beer I was hoping for. It's not foodie as in "I want to lick my wrist!" -- it doesn't smell like something lovely heating on the stove or in the oven. Instead, it smells like laying out the ingredients before cooking. The apple is raw, not cooked. At least it's not ZOMG CLOVE but it is also not what I expected from last year's reviews. I suppose it might find it's way into my Scentbug.

That's it!!! Craft store!!! I was smelling something I remembered from the past but I couldn't figure it out! Edited by Shollin

Lambswool 2010

I am wondering if I should age this maybe? It's craft store "red apple" and mulling spices, with none of that creamy subtle buttered beer I was hoping for. It's not foodie as in "I want to lick my wrist!" -- it doesn't smell like something lovely heating on the stove or in the oven. Instead, it smells like laying out the ingredients before cooking. The apple is raw, not cooked. At least it's not ZOMG CLOVE but it is also not what I expected from last year's reviews. I suppose it might find it's way into my Scentbug.

This one has me perplexed. When it was wet on the skin, it smelled watery and very much like dish soap. I was not a fan. However, fast forward about a half hour to when it had completely dried, and it smells like spicy, warm appley mush. I like it. It strikes me as more of a room scent than a skin scent, but I think that if I had a decant of it I would wear it seasonally. I wonder if aging would take away the weird dish soap stage- that's the only thing really bothering me at this point.

ETA: 2010 version

Edited by VioletFemme

In the Bottle- Sweet cider! Mmmm, so good.

Wet- Cider and alcohol. The cider smells divine, but the ale does not. Right now it’s a sickly sweet smell that reminds me like some sort of cinnamon and apple air freshener. I hope the cider notes come out more than the ale and the artificial smell goes away.

Dry- Thankfully the sickly sweet, artificial, and alcohol smells vanish on me, and all that remains is a wonderful, warm cider with spices scent. Once again I have to remind myself that BPAL oils are not edible!

Overall- Smells like delicious cider, but not cold cider, hot spiced cider. Mmm, warm and yummy.

Lambswool 2010 was the first BPAl scent that has truly disappointed me. While wet it smelled like fake apple air freshener or potpourri. As it dried it just smelled like spicy fake apple potpourri. No depth whatsoever. I waited for a bit of the sweetness or the milkyness to come through, but nothing. This was very sad, I wanted to love it.

V. 2010

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but my skin chemistry ADORED this. It smelled like fall. It screamed fall. It was fantastic and gorgeous and heady and I loved it. I got fresh apple with spices and even a hint of leaves, as though I were in an orchard and had cut an apple in half and poured spices on it. As it warmed, the milk added creaminess but never went sour and the ale added a little bite. The apple and spices melded beautifully. My husband came home from running errands and I told him to come sniff me and he said "I don't need to, I can smell you from here! You smell just like fall!" He's not really a fan of foody blends, and I didn't get foody from it either. It smelled like an orchard in fall and I wanted to roll around in a vat of it. No craft-store potpourri or fake air-freshener scent. Just pure outdoorsy apples and fall. I'm in love!

This was probably my most anticipated scent of the weenies, because I missed out on it last year. I think it suffered a little from such high hopes :P

It is pleasant, though! It's a tart, spiced apple smell. It does smell a bit waxy, but I think that's actually the milk note. But if you've ever cooked up apple slices with some clove, nutmeg and a dash of cinnamon, but NO sugar, you'll know this sharp hot apple mash smell. One of the stuffings I make for poultry is apple and sage; that's what this reminds me of, without the sage. This is actually great if you want a non-cloying apple scent. I'm probably going to try layering this with something super sweet of a candy apple scent.

In the Bottle: Sugar… apples… ale… this smells delicious.

Wet on Skin: A bit spicier than in the imp. The apple is a nice, realistic scent. The sugar sweetens the scent, but isn't a distinct, separate entity on the skin. There is just a hint of fizzy ale to the side.

While Drying: Dry, spiced apples. I'm having a mild skin reaction (ginger? Or is there some unlisted cinnamon in this?)

After a Little While: A lovely sugared scent wafts away from the skin. Up close, the apple scent is the most prominent. This isn't as spicy as I expected. I don't smell any milk or cloves (both of which can do funky things on my skin).

Later: The scent has pulled together into lightly spiced, smashed apples with a hint of ale. Throw is low to medium. Fades faster than I'd like (though a faint, skin-close, sugared apple scent sticks around for a while). I'm hoping age will pull this one together and give it more staying power.

Final Thoughts: This reminds me a bit of Poisoned Apple, but warmer and sweeter, with a breath of spice replacing the breath of florals in PA.

Lambs-Wool 2010 earns a 4/5 on my skin.

YUM :yum: I did not try last year's version, so I'm reviewing 2010 alone. I'm pleasantly surprised! I did not expect to like this as I tend away from foody scents in general and autumnal foody scents seem to be especially bad on my skin :( but lo! This blend is divine.. spicy and sweet and with the slightest hint of cream (that does NOT go sour). Straight forward and a good choice for when you just want to smell yummy and comfy. I think I'll really enjoy it on wet deary days.

Lambs-Wool 2010

This is the apple that I wish Punkie Night was. It's more sweet to my nose, with some lovely spices. Sadly, it only lasts for maybe an hour or two on me before it fades away and I can no longer smell it. This is definitely a fall scent in my opinion. Nice and warm and sweet--it makes you want to curl up on the couch with some spiced cider and watch a movie. I think I'll have to order a bottle of this.

Sweet, bright apples. Some fall foliage.

Just lovely. I'm hoping that the apple won't morph into potpourri. It goes from gorgeous apple to potpourri with each sniff.

Please stay apple!

In the IMP it has a very strong and almost sickly sweet milky apple. I am wary …

Yeah on me it’s too foody and I had such high hopes … it’s pretty though very sweet apple with spicy nutmeg and milkyness.

Smells good enough to drink just not to wear!

'10 version.

So I was wary of this scent, Ive been trying to find the perfect fall apple cider type scent for a bit and after a let down with popular Samhain (it gave me the worst migarine) a few years ago I decided to give this also popular scent a go. Well its a winner, a better apple cider scent I could not hope for.

bottle; I smell warm sweet apples with milk, honey ans spice.

wet; This is all apples and spice, warm and inviting.

drydown; soft apple spice like mulling cider. Its heaven.

So the original Lambs-Wool is one of my all time favorites. I needed another backup so I ordered the 2010...with a little trepidation. The difference between yearly versions of scents can be drastic.

Happily, I really can see where the 2010 may grow into the 2009. I have one on each arm at the moment to compare.

09 is more more mellow applesauce with mulling spices in the bottle. 10 is tarter, sharper, with more subdued spices. They went on the skin the same way.

09 is much rounder, warmer scent and the milk is more prevalent. This one is snuggley and creamy.

10 is more apple and less milk with a waxier backdrop. This one smells more like a craft store to me.

Hopefully, 10 will mellow with age and bring out more of the creaminess that makes this blend so special. I can definitely see it's potential.

Edited by Rheliwen

2010 Version

Sharp, spicy apple cider on me. I do agree that it is not as creamy as the 2009 version, but maybe it just needs to age & mellow a little first.

Crisp red apples, spices and sugar. The throw is *spectacular* (on me anyways) and its fruity sweetness is just perfect for this time of year. An instant favourite out of this year's Halloweenies ^__^

v. 2010

I can't help but think "holiday candle" when I wear this. Of course, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I kind of like it, but maybe that's just me. The apple and spices are just yummy and reminiscent of fall. I suspect it's the creaminess with the slightest touch of ale that's making me think candle. If I really concentrate I can pick out those notes. Overall, this scent is delicious! :yum:

Just as described. Apple cider with mulling spices. Not something I'd personally wear, but I'm sure it would be an awesome room scent.

2009 version: This is so amazingly delicious. I'm a fan of the spicy apple cider (Verdandi is one of my favorite blends), but this has a hint of cream that encompasses the spices, muffling them gently. It's so soft, especially for such a cidery blend. It doesn't strike me as overpowering ("holiday candle"), and it seems to sweeten over time.

2010 edition - this is just kind of meh on me. I love it in the bottle, it's creamy apple spicyness. On me it just kind of smells like a generic apple spice candle, so I have taken to diffusing this in my oil burner. Let me tell you, my house now smells AMAZING! Its pretty cold in this drafty old farmhouse but smelling Lambs Wool while I read on my couch makes me feel warmer :)

2010 Version:

I thought this sounded lovely last year, but never went for it because I already had Punkie Night and Fearful Pleasure, so I felt like I was covered on cidery scents. But, I got myself an imp this this year and can't help but be curious if I will like this one better than either of those.

Huh...in the imp this is kind of weird...maybe it's the ale note...there's something sort of sharp and odd about this. It almost smells like apple juice that is starting to turn bad.

On my skin this smells like a mix of apple and grape juice O_o As it dries, it gets a bit more cidery and "nutty". Yes, as it dries it is definitely a warm, mashed apple cider. Definitely get a touch of ginger, but not much other spices. Very very appley.

This dries down nicely-a warm, mild apple cider scent. I should note, normally milk notes are baby formula on me, but I did not have that problem here at all. Also, as a also mentioned, this is a mild cider-not highly spiced. It's a pleasant autumn scent, but I think with already having Punkie Night I can live without this.

This is the 2010 version.

In the decant: I smell apples and clove. "Grape Smarties," says husband. (Really?)

Wet: Potpourri and some sort of cleaner? Other reviewers say "craft store," and I kinda have to agree.

Drydown: Eh. Craft store… candles…. No milk or ale at all, at least on me.

Later: As it sits on my skin, it smells like food. Specifically, like stewed apples with cream, which is my go-to winter desert But it’s also kind of itchy-burny. Afraid that puts it into the chemistry fail category for me.

And husband still thinks it smells like grape Smarties. Sigh...

From 2009:

I absolutely love this and I got it because I'm a sucker for all things that have their roots in the British Isles.

Mostly, I smell lots of cider and that's a good thing because I'm crazy about that stuff. After a few hours, I start getting the milk and spices aspect of it and it's just sooo comforting. A friend of mine said it reminded her of piña colada but I don't get any coconut in this...*lol* Just warm apples, cloves/cinnamon (?) & cream. Each time I wear this, I crave a cide at an Irish bar, haha.

Lambs-Wool 2010

On: Wow. Amazing apples with nutmeg, ginger, clove, milk, and ale. It's amazing how I can pick almost all of the notes out of here.

Half an hour in: The apples aren't as strong now. This is mostly milky with lots of hot spices.

1.5 hours in: Sweet and spicy.

3 hours in: Still spicy from the nutmeg, clove, and ginger, but with milk and apples underneath. Sweet and a bit foody.

4 hours in: A bit woodsy. Definitely not as foody.

Overall: This starts out incredibly on me, but the dry-down is boring.