Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A popular holy day beverage in 18th century Ireland: roasted apples mashed into warmed milk and ale, with nutmeg, sugar, ginger, and clove.

Lambs-Wool - This smells like a sweet and very spicy apple cider, but it's more apple-y than cider-y, if that makes sense at all. The nutmeg in this is particularly strong. I don't smell the milky note others are getting. It starts out smelling like an autumn potpourri, but the longer it's on my skin, the more complex and pretty it gets. People who love apples and spices are going to really like this one!

This smells like fresh apple pie with cinnamon and icecream. I don't know where the ice cream note is coming from...but it is delicious! :yum:

This smells exactly like the notes, and exactly like what I was hoping for!

I was worried about the milk, but it's actually what keeps it from being Yankee Candle on me the way that fresh Fearful Pleasure was last year. (Unfortunately I just discovered too late that aged Fearful Pleasure is an entirely different story, yumm-o).

Lamb's Wool is rich spiced cider, but creamy. A good actual food equivalent is a hot caramel cider from a cafe, with a healthy lots of whip cream on the top! I love it, my Boy loves it, and I'll be ordering more! The cuteness of the name + the greatness of the scent = just perfect.

Oh, boo! I took a chance with this one because I do rather enjoy BPAL's apple note. Unfortunately, it smells exactly like Poison Apple on me with a hint of milk and spices instead of the brash, wonderful florals.

I really, really hoped it would be the delicious apple pie/spice/mulled cider scent everyone else praised it as, but no luck :(

OK, I tried it again because I'm stubborn like that :twisted:. And I don't know what was up earlier, except that maybe I tried too many imps at once. The apple is still the same note in Poison Apple, but it's a lot less dominant now -- I'm definitely getting the spices, the apple pie and the milk. It's a gorgeous scent, and makes me wonder if I will actually appreciate autumnal foody scents!

Think I'm gonna need a bottle :o

Edited by Upstart Crow

I agree with the person who said this is "heavenly". : )

It has tart apple, of course, and was more......bright and spring-like than I was expecting, but I'm not sure why. It somehow is more complex than just a foody scent, but it looks like it behaves differently depending on the person wearing it (based on other reviews). Personally, I didn't like the milk note in Milk Moon (the newer one), but I barely detect any milk in Lambs-Wool at all.

What I do smell is tart apples and gentle spices. The apple is strong in the beginning but as the oil dries the apples blend in softly with the rest of the notes. Interesting how there's nothing listed that strikes me as perfumey, but after a while this does have a perfumey and almost soapy quality (not in a bad way) when I wear it. Maybe it's the ginger combined with the milk. To me this is a light scent, but it does have lasting power.

Does anyone else think this smells like Lovers In A Ricefield? That's what it reminded me of most of all.

An apple scent that likes me! This is such a fantastic autumn scent on me, and it smells precisely like it's described. The throw is very, very light, sadly, but I'm thinking of buying a bottle so that frequent re-application is less of an issue.

The spices amped on me, so while I wanted to love this, and love the scent of apples, this one is more like apple being bludgeoned by cinnamon sticks. The cinnamon is heavy, and because it amps on me, a little potpourri-ish. No creaminess that I can detect and the apple is far in the background. :( Not a keeper, though I wish it was!

Lambs-Wool-

In Bottle: Apple and clove. You really get the sense of "mashed" apple.

Wet: This really smells like a posset of warm milk and clove apple. The apple is not too floral for me, either.

Dry: A really nice dry down of milky warmth and clove apple. Very evocative!

Overall: Warming and yummy.

First impression: smells like a cross between Punkie Night and Fearful Pleasure. Apple-y.

On: At first, very Punkie Night. fresh apples. but with something else lurking n the background.

On drydown, that starts to come forward. it's a tanginess, is how I would describe it. Like hard cider!

Later, a soft sweet note comes up. It's definitely not sharp as it was, the tang of the apple has become more like apple pie. no longer fresh but baked and oozing with yummy spicy sugary stuff. mmm.

I was afraid of the milk note but it's subtle. just creamy and sweet.

I likes it!!

the first whiff i took of Lambs Wool, i smelled the milk and the tartness of the apple and immediately thought spoiled milk and gagged. however, i decided to try it on my skin and found it not at all unpleasant, on me the spices and apple were very prominent and the milk was just barely there. the overall effect was of warm apple pie. i think this is a really nice home fragrance for my oil diffuser but just doesn't work on me as a perfume.

my DSWC notes on this scent are: apple cider.

simple, but delicious.

now testing the decant, my first sniff reminds me of whichever pumpkin patch scent it was that was apples and pumpkin (1, maybe?), but i imagine it is the spices that make me think that, because there's no pumpkin in this...

on skin, as it settles in, there's a brief bit that caused me some fear because it went sortof coconutty (i hate coconut!) and even as the coconuttyness fades back into a milky creaminess...but it is more like buttermilk now.

so, apple cider and buttermilk. i never got anything ale-y, but i think i like it anyway. it is a very traditionally autumn type scent, without being a traditional autumn scent, if that makes, er, sense?

lambswool.jpg

Of the weenie decants I've tried so far, this one is my clear fave.

It goes on deliciously warm spiced apples, with a hint of something earthy and almost woody, which might be the ale? I can't really smell the milk, but what I do smell is a quintessential lovely autumnal spiced apple. It reminds me of L'Autunno and Fearful Pleasure, two scents that I greatly enjoy. I'd like to do a sniff off of the three sometime soon. Will report back if any thing jumps out at me.

In the imp: Apple cider :yum:

Wet: Creeeaaammmyyy apple cider with a bright burst of ginger.

Dry: Dry, this smells JUST like Yankee Candles "Harvest" and "Farmers Market" candles...lost of autumn spice, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg...

Overall: Lambs-Wool is a beautiful spiced apple cider scent. It's probably not something I'd wear as perfume but I think this would smell really great as an atmosphere spray, a candle or in an oil burner. :)

For me, this one did not change at all. It smells the same in the imp, wet on my skin, and dry on my skin. This is all Autumn-spices-yankee-candle for me. I'm sad. I wanted to LOVE this, and I only like it a bunch. This is really nice as a room scent, and its very pretty, but it smells too much like a candle for me to wear. Oh well...

One thing- it layers nicely with Carnal.

In the imp: Apple cider :yum:

Wet: Creeeaaammmyyy apple cider with a bright burst of ginger.

Dry: Dry, this smells JUST like Yankee Candles "Harvest" and "Farmers Market" candles...lost of autumn spice, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg...

Overall: Lambs-Wool is a beautiful spiced apple cider scent. It's probably not something I'd wear as perfume but I think this would smell really great as an atmosphere spray, a candle or in an oil burner. :)

Just wanted to say, yup, yup, to the comparison to yankee candles. Which in my mind is a good rather than a bad thing. The dry down of this is that apple spice candle effect.

But I love how it starts out most. It is milky at first, and in the beginning I think of it as Milk Moon (early version) meets apple cider. Strong milky note and the spiced cider. LOVE IT! I'm sorry that the milk note fades on me, but as I have gotten rid of all my other spiced cider scents, I'm still pretty happy to have this. The apple also falls a bit to the wayside after an hour or so, so it is mostly spice....it might be nice to layer this with another apple scent that would bring that fruitiness back to the foregroung. And also, since I miss the milk note, I might try layering this over a milky scent....

But overall, I quite like this, and of the various decants I got, this is probably one of the ones I'm mostly likely to get a bottle of.

...this is lovely, subtle and brings fall directly to mind...like walking past a store in a quaint local mountain village right as they're pulling warm apple pies out to be sliced and sold. Now.....do i want to smell like this all day or not?? Hmmm....rather lovely and foodie but subtle...i used to love the Gap's fragrance Autumn, and this is similar but without the "leaves"....hmmm........... won't be letting go of imp, MAY be ordering bottle.... hmmmmm.......... in the meantime, NOM NOM NOM!!! Glad I don't know how to make pastry that's not stone-like!! :yum:

The apple in Poison apple was always to soapy on me, while Fearful Pleasure was a very mighty apple that could crush you. The apple in Lambs wool is a sweet, lovely apple. Remenescent of Poison apple but...better. It deffenently evokes the idea of fall. I might have to get a bottle....

2009 Version:

I thought that Fearful Pleasure from last year was the perfect apple cider, but I think that I like Lambs-Wool even more. Fearful Pleasure was darker and smokier, where Lambs-Wool is sweeter, creamier, lighter, and foodier, and I love foodie scents. When I wear this, I keep thinking that it smells light and angelic. Apple cider from heaven, lol.

In the bottle and on my skin, this smells like a mug of warm apple cider sitting next to a slice of sugary angel food cake and an apple fritter, with extra sugar crystals. Sugar, spice, apple cider, and cakes. It smells so delicious :wub2: . Cider scents easily smell too sharp or too spicy to me, but this is sugary cider heaven. It's not sharp at all, and actually smells very creamy.

Lambs-Wool doesn't smell quite like any of the spicy/cidery scents that I already own. It's the best of them. I can see myself reaching for this scent a lot when there's snow on the ground, and I love it in an oil warmer to scent my house as well.

2010 Version:

This 2010 version is nowhere near as good as the 09. The vanilla sugary, cakey aspects aren't in the 2010 Lambs-Wool as far as I can tell. This is more tart (like sweet tarts candies) apple and a fresh, almost celery-like, vegetal note along with some sharper spices (gross, sharp cinnamon potpourri). It gives me a headache and barely smells like the original version at all :(. I'm disappointed with how this one has been reformulated, and glad I still have a couple 09 bottles that have aged really well...

Edited by Little Bird

I don't usually write reviews but once in a while I find a scent that I have to make an exception for. Lambs-Wool is my stand-out of the Weenies this year: the most perfect cider scent ever. Little Bird's description of "apple cider from heaven" is right!

Lambs-Wool is Fearful Pleasure without the loud spices and heavy smokiness that made Fearful Pleasure unwearable for me. Lambs-Wool is Punkie Night without the crazy tart cranberry. But it's also more than those two scents. Lambs-Wool is fizzy (from the ale) delicious cider with an extra jolt of sugar. The spices are delicate (I mostly imagine cinammon sticks), and the ginger is coming through to me very orangey, as if there were big juicy slices of candied orange floating in the vat of cider. I am not getting the milk at all. An all round scrumptious scent.

If you try only one Weenie this year, it has to be Lambs-Wool! :joy: .

Edited by Mrs.Black

In the imp: Oh, just what I hoped for! Baked apples with spices!! Please, Gods, let it stay like this!

Wet: The spices very much in the forefront--the clove, actually. At a distance, I smell the milk, but it's not sour like the BPAL milk note usually goes on me. Now I'm getting the ale--how odd it is to smell ale in perfume!--and the apple. The apple is increasing with time. So far, giddily happy.

Dry: I can see why some people say this smells like scented candle. I'm smelling sweet spices, mostly--the clove still paramount, then ginger, and the nutmeg nearly buried. All but the apple's sweetness is gone of that note; if I sniff hard I get the ale. I'll be interested to see how this changes throughout the rest of the day.

Later: The apple keeps playing peekaboo with me! Sir has had a sniff and says he likes it a great deal, and the BPAL-Sniffin Dog gave it two snurfs (that's good). :) Verdict: Win, possibly the only win for me out of the 'Weenies this year.

In the imp and fresh on: Apple cider.

Drydown: Milk and spices! This is definitely in the same family with Dana O'Shee and Sudha Segara, though not exactly the same as either of them. The apples fade into the background, and the only trace of ale is a faint nuttiness. Overall, it's a warm, creamy, comforting scent that's rather like being wrapped in a snuggly fleece blanket.

Bottom line: This is fabulous. I don't mind losing the apple note because I have several nice apple scents already, and I love having a milk scent that works this well on me. I might be moved to experiment with layering Verdandi over this, to see if that would bring the apple back up. Definite keeper!

2009 version

I bet Lambs Wool, the drink, tastes exactly like this smells. I aim to find out this winter. The clove doesn't take over the scent on my skin, which is surprising. It IS pretty strong, but it's not a single-note clove scent, I can still smell the apple (red apples) and nutmeg and something that is reminiscent of warm milk, definitely. The milk doesn't turn to buttery grossness, which is another surprise.

I'll have to give it a little bit longer to make sure the clove doesn't amp more, but so far it's a winner.

2010 version

I totally spaced and forgot to buy a bottle of Lambs-Wool last year, thanks to New Baby-itis. Thank God the 2010 version smells the same; it was pretty impossible to find a bottle of the 2009 version once I realized my mistake.

Edited by karen

In the bottle: apple-y, kind of juicy apple like warm apple pie with cinnamon.

On the skin: A word of warning: a LITTLE of Lambs-Wool goes a LONG way! This is very similar to Punkie Night, only far heavier on the nutmeg/clove for me. I put it on like I would any of my BPAL and the throw is very strong, almost too strong. It's sweet and sugary, but also spicy. It will be a definite favorite of mine for the Fall. I do wish I got more apple after the dry down, but I love the blend anyway. A very foodie blend, if you're looking for one.

This is a lovely scent but way too strong to wear on my skin. I'm in agreement with some other reviews that it smells very "candle" like. It will be perfect in my oil burner as a fall home scent. But WEARING it is ick, I smell like a Yankee Candle store.

I was so excited for this one when I read the description, and now that I've tried it, I'm just as excited to wear it all the time :D

It's mostly a very sweet, lovely apple with spice, but I get just a hint of the milky note and it really rounds it out nicely. I've gone after a lot of different blends trying to find the one that smells the most like mulled apple cider, and this is it!