Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
femmefatale

Mircalla, Countess Karnstein

Languid, melancholy fire: red musk, purple orchid, frankincense, smoky vanilla, Styrian herbs, peru balsam, tonka, Zanzibar clove, and patchouli.

This is much smokier than I expected, and I'm beginning to think that clove is an amp note for me. It's not bad, but it's overwhelming - it's eating up all the other notes except the frankincense and patchouli. This is the sort of thing that I'd wear with a ridiculously low cut dress, preferably in red - it's not a daily scent by any stretch. It's too intense. Use up the decant, yes - bottle, no.

bottle: red musk and vanilla with something almost piney (perhaps the peru balsam?).

wet: i am a huge fan of red musk and this blend is incredible. the patchouli, clove and tonka warm this blend and turn it into a very sexy, sultry scent. this will be save for special occasions when i was a dark, sexy aura. i may need a back-up bottle. it's that good.

dry: clove usually goes strong and bitter on me but this one is staying sweet. combined with the red musk and patchouli/pine/vanilla of this scent... i am in love.

This has a powerful base of something that reminds me very strongly of High Priest Not To Be Described, which I love, yet they share exactly no components in common. There is a high thinness to this which is not entirely pleasant - I think it's the combo of orchid and basalm, because the other ingredients are thick and deep.

I will stick with High Priest.

This is red musk with clove, peru basalm and orchid. This isn't very sweet on me, and the clove is by far the most dominant note. The overall effect is Smut with a dark herbal sap base. Like if you got smut by tapping a giant old tree. It's dark and strong and almost masculine.

Lovely, and I'm a fan of all the notes, but a little goes a long way and the decant will probably be enough for me for years. This will definitley be my go-to clove scent.

i get

1 clove with juicyfruit (i guess that's the red musk)

2 after a long time - frankincense

3 left on my clothes - snake oil.

will retry in a week or two. otherwise - oh well, at least i don't need a bottle ;)

On first sniff out of the bottle, this is mmmm, bloody. Not that it smells like blood, dragon or otherwise, but it makes me want to sink my teeth into a nice steak. :lol:

When I first put it on my wrists, it's... ominous. The red musk threatens to go like it does in Smut, aka burnt used condoms. But then, luckily, the rest of the notes assert themselves and it's rich, plummy, red, and a little bit floral, a little bit smokey. It doesn't morph much on me at all, which is fine because it's quite lovely. ^_^

I am so frustrated! Every note in here is usually a good one for me. But in this case, the sum of the parts isn't quite what I hoped it would be.

In the bottle, it's gorgeous. On my skin, there's a hopeful moment where a swirl of spicy red musk blooms, but then the clove and the "smoky" notes start coming out, and the scent morphs into something that's *just a hair* to smoky/sharp for me to love. It's close, but no cigar. I prefer red musk blends that are smoother than this (for example, Scherezade, The Grindhouse, Spellbound). I can't wear Mme. Moriarty and Marianne as they are both have that "something too sharp" about them.

I'd love, love, love to have a candle that smelled like this...I just can't wear it on my skin, as my skin amps the sharp and smoky notes.

*sigh*

This is another review I'm trying to type with my wrist attached to my nose. It's dark and rich and smoky and sexy and is the kind of scent you wear out with a low-cut dress and knee high boots. Definitely need a bottle of this.

I got Mircalla unsniffed, and she does not disappoint! This is one dark Vamp! I don't find the red musk overtakes as in other RM blends. Everything is so well put together here, that I'm having a tough time picking out individual notes. Just a smoky musk blend. I kind of wish the tonka and vanilla would come out a bit more, but maybe it will with age. This blend kind of reminds me of Mme Moriarty and Arachnina a bit. Maybe a 'bitten' version, so to speak. :lol: At any rate, I love her, :wub2: and will keep the bottle for evening wear probably. This blend probably would burn up in the daylight. :lol:

eta: After re-trying, I think this is more similar to Marianne, which I love also. Really it's almost a dead ringer to me. Rats. I wanted something a bit more different. I did 'just' get it in the mail yesterday, so maybe it needs to settle. Not that I don't like it, just that I already have two Marianne's.

Edited by milo

I got Mircalla unsniffed because I was so sure she would be full of win. Mme Moriarty is one of my favorite scents. I adore red musk, smokey vanilla, tonka, and patchouli. And I used to live on Zanzibar, so how could I resist the Zanzibar clove note?!?

But Mircalla on my skin is headache-inducing, raging frankincense from hell! :blink: :cry2: This is a super dry, bitter frankincense that overpowers everything else on me, including any hint of red musk. I will likely hang onto her for a while and see if aging tempers this beast, but if not, she'll be off to find a better home where she will be loved.

I was a little worried about this one when it first arrived. Took it awhile to settle down. I didn't get anything great from it at first and was really disappointed since I'm usually good friends with red musk and vanilla. Dratted clove...After giving it a few weeks and trying it again though, it's really blossomed :D Dark, rich red musk with sweet vanilla and a pinch of herbs. No more clove overload thank goodness! Beautiful!

Holy sex. Because this basically is sex in a bottle with a melange of many of my favorite notes all swirled into one incredibly provocative blend :twisted: It's a fiery scent with that "languid, melancholy" air added by the balsam, which nicely balances the brilliant crimson eruption of red musk, the deliciousness of vanilla, the mystery of incense and the earthiness of clove and patchouli. It's like blazing embers on a winter's night, a flame that just won't quit no matter how anyone tries to extinguish it. Mircalla is pure intoxication :lovestruck:

Edited by Invidiana

when smelling this, all I'm thinking of is just how well this will age. You can smell it wanting to get all sexy on your arm. It's red musk, and clove, and orchid. The vanilla isn't too apparent, but I know it will show it's pretty face in about 6 months. This is Grindhouse, without the mimosa. I can't wait until until this smooths out and becomes teh sex and stuff.

I'm going to say it.. really I am...

This... this is better than snake charmer.

I must have more.

red musk is a favorite and clove as well... I was worried about the orchid being overbearing and drowning out the rest but it stays comingled with the rest and its just .. gorgeous!!! :joy:

In The Bottle

Smoky musk and tonka

On Application

As above but airier

Dry Down

Quite musky and incensey. Kind of goes to a musky and spicy leatherish scent. I like it.

Rating (0-5)

In Bottle - Seems like pure red musk--which translates into a fruity, dragon's blood type scent on me.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Very strong on the red musk, a healthy amount of patchouli, and just the tiniest bit of clove.

Dry, on Skin - I'd say the difference between this one and Mme. Moriarty (for me, at least) is red musk's strength versus patchouli. In Moriarty, the patchouli is strongest--here, it's definitely the red musk. Vanilla is the second strongest note in Moriarty, clove replaces it in Mircalla. If you like red musk, this is a blend that really seems to highlight it's unique properties.

Edited by AlarmAgent

Decant: Thick and dark and sultry. Ooozing sex

Wet on Me: More thick and dark and sultry. This wafts lazily around my nose like a belly dancer around a fire.

Drying Down: Almost spicy in the mix now. But sultry Spicy not foodie spicy.

Dry: Wearing this I feel like ALL WOMAN. I feel in full control and power of my womanly wiles. I feel sultry and sexy and alive!

One of the things I love about BPAL is that it's made me much more adventurous scent-wise. Based on the description, Mircalla is not something I would have imagined myself trying, let alone wearing, but after all the reviews I felt a responsibility to at least test it while at one of the will calls. I'm so glad I did.

Initially, I get smoky vanilla, cloves, sharp herbs, and ORCHID. Holy crap, does this orchid like to make its presence known. Happily, it quickly fades down and I'm left with a spicy, herbal, clove scent softened by touches of vanilla and a much fainter orchid. Later on, I get some of the incense. I honestly cannot say if I smell any of the red musk, but it might be in the background. Really nice.

I was afraid that it was going to be "too" sexy because I don't like to wear "OH HELLO, MISTER!!!" type perfumes, but this is a wonderfully complex sexy. It's sensual without being in your face. I can see why it conjures up images of an aristocratic woman -- she's sexy and powerful (and by golly does she know it) and you better be really carefully when approaching her because if she thinks you're not alpha enough for her, she's going to make you pay for wasting her time. :twisted:

I bought this bottle unsniffed because of all the rave reviews it was getting on the forums. It's not something I'd ordinarily ever buy on my own, really, due to the red musk. Red musk just isn't something I like on me, period. I adore it on other people, but it's never really done well on me.

After a preliminary little knuckle test, I thought to myself that Mircalla was so special. Something I could wear on nights out when I wanted to be super sultry and mysterious. It's a beautiful fragrance. Red musk and spicy clove. Zanzibar clove, which is one of my favorite scents ever. (Pier 1 used to carry a Zanzibar Clove candle that I adored, omg.) This is a deep purpley red scent to me, and... well, I hate to say it, but it reminds me of Christian Dior's Poison. Then again, just about everything with red musk in it reminds me of Poison. And... it's not a great thing for me.

The bottom line is that I feel like I'm wearing someone else's perfume when I put this on. I don't feel comfortable in it, and I feel like it wears me. I'll be putting my bottle up for sale even though I think it's a marvelously blended perfume. Just not my thing. The Girl is me. Not Mircalla.

Yeah, so Mircalla pretty much broke my heart. I'm holding out hope that a scent locket will work better for her, or perhaps some aging, but I'm pretty sure the problem is with my skin and not the oil. In the bottle, Mircalla smells delicious. Lots of red musk, tonka, clove and balsam, FAR more muted than I expected after reading all of the reviews. Once she was on my skin, the patchouli came out to play, and for a little while I smelled of sultry, musky incense. If the scent had a color, it would be a deep, dark, smoky red.

Aaaaand then the balsam decided it didn't like sharing the spotlight and proceeded to beat up everything else except for the clove, at which point the two of them started throwing down and my sinuses were Not Happy with the proceedings. So disappointing. If the scent locket doesn't work, I hope some aging will make a difference, because I desperately want Mircalla to like me.

Wow. I am reeeeally wishing I'd have ordered a bottle of this when I had the chance. It is wonderful! I have recently discovered that I love red musk and that it loves me, and this is a gorgeous one. It starts out on the skin red musk!, but dries to a sexy, warm, spicy red musk that is a bit sweet. I get a bit of the vanilla peeking through as well, and in the distant background there is some nice floral stuff going on. It's very well blended, and so sexy it makes me feel like putting on a corset and letting my hair down..Anyhoo, Marianne is my favorite red musk blend, and this is a super close second (it actually is very similar to me). I will have to eventually snag a bottle of this lady.

At first whiff, it is a wet, resinous patchouli salted with clove and dragon's blood. There is even a slight sort of currant smell, that makes it almost pulpy for a second. Very lovely. This wears off in a flash, and is strong on clove. As dominant as this combination of scents sounds, it really doesn't express itself very much on me...it's more of an intimate scent to be experienced in furtive huffs. This is another one that I will probably end up trading away eventually, albeit very reluctantly.

Mircalla

In the imp: like Marianne-the same musk and patchouli combo, a hint of floral, plus spice.

Wet on skin: oh, now the frankincense and clove really come out!

Dry on skin: mmm, this is good. A dry, crumbly blend of red musk and patchouli with a slight nag champa and powdery floral (orchid?) thing to it is the dominant scent here, and it does remind me of Marianne. But there are other things here that make this different. I smell something almost like thyme here, or maybe sage, which I’m sure is the herb note. I also smell a hint of frankincense, and a lot of bitter clove, which is smoky and gorgeous. It reminds me of Red Rose’s clove note. I can’t smell the sweeter notes of tonka and vanilla yet, but this smells smouldering, crimson and sexy, a warm and passionate yet very dark scent.

After a while: hmm, not so sure about this now. After a promising start, this has become, sadly, a little meh? It’s not wowing me. Where are the sweet notes? Where’s the frankincense hiding? I smell lots of clove but I think the musk, patch and orchid-especially the orchid-have gone up quite dramatically. The result is an oddly flat, dry and powdery dark incense. It’s nice, but at times it’s identical to Marianne, which I love, but this seems to have a floral note that I am not as keen on.

Verdict: I have no idea where this went wrong. It starts off nicely but then becomes very meh. On paper almost all the notes (save the orchid) would have meant this scent would have been a roaring success on me-musk, resins, spices! But I think the orchid may have turned this scent against me. Or maybe the patchouli, clove and red musk blend here was of a particular combination that didn’t work-it’s rare, but it happened previously with the Grindhouse, and this smells very similar. The red musk has an odd nag champa thing to it, the floral note is too strong, and I can’t smell the delicious resin or vanilla. The clove is nice for a while but then the odd flowery dry and flat incense takes over and this just smells a little unremarkable on me. Not a keeper, I’m afraid.

Emoticon rating: :(

Is it a keeper? regrettably, no.

If you like this, try: Marianne, Grindhouse, Semiramis, Red Rose, High Priest Not to Be Described

VERY red, as others have said. In the bottle it is a lot like Smut, but with clove (again, as others have said.. :lol:) On it's a dirty red musk (I don't get loads of patchouli.. either that or it just blends really well with the musk) with lots of sweet clove. I don't get a lot of the other notes, hopefully aging with bring them out, but I still love this one.. it's very sexy and very plush!

I do love this, but it's hard to pick out specific notes. The words that come to mind are dark and sweet. I think it's the initial smoky vanilla/musk/patchouli that come out on me. I was skeptical about the orchid (perhaps because I keep confusing "orchid" with "lotus" and "lotus" is a major ick for me) but I think the orchid, and perhaps the clove, are what gives it the sweetness.

I got a bottle of Raven Moon at around the same time, and I think there are a lot of similar notes, but Mircalla is definitely more of a scent for a woman than Raven Moon.