Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Croquembouche with almond silk and a drizzle of caramel.

my DSWC notes about this scent were "Ew."
but ya gotta remember that i have a definitive hatred for almond.

testing it tonight... i get caramel, roses and almonds. bizarre! Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

I was as surprised as everyone else to get rose in this, although for me it was a pleasant surprise as I love rose. Anyway, on me Bite Me starts off almond and a soft rose (rosewater maybe?) then I get caramel with the rose in the midstage, and a very light cake note on the drydown.

This reminds me of a sweeter Katrina Van Tassle, a much sweeter (and less spicy) Pothon Meter, or less rosey (and less plastic-smelling) Hope. Love it! :vamp:

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Bite Me-

In Bottle: Almond-cherry honey sugar. (The almond-cherry is that Jergens lotion scent. I happen to love that, though.)

Wet: Cherry-almond. Very Jergens.

Dry: This is just a little too cloyingly sweet for me. It's sharply sweet, like someone poured the sugar into my retinas.

Overall: Too sweet for me, which is saying something.

Eek, I get rose from this too - it's a sweet honeyed rose with a hint of some sort of fruit, possibly cherry as the person above me mentioned. It's...interesting, but I'm not a rose fan. Also, there's something about it that feels almost medicinal; not that I get a medicinal smell per se, but the cloying honey whatnot is making me think of cough drops.

In the bottle, this reminds me of Possets' "Walter" fragrance - rose, buttery cake, and red fruitiness (which is probably the almond turning to cherry, as bpal's almond notes often do on my skin).

On my skin, this smells like warm spice cake, red rose, and hints of warm caramel and sweet cherry. Over time, the cherry and rose amp up more and smell a bit sour to me. It turns into red rose, sour cherry, and a background of sweet, buttery cake. The sour rose and cherry combo starts to feel heavy and make my head ache after a while.

I adore Possets' Walter scent, and it does the whole buttery cake-rose-and-red-fruit thing a lot better for me. I don't think that I'll be keeping Bite Me in my collection...

...this has given me a terrible headache. The cherry-ish almond is just too overpowering. I'm going to test it on someone else as it might just be my chemistry but BLEH. Maybe in a locket it might not be so nauseating but I'm going to go scrub my arms now.

Almond and I dont get along A LOT. But I still wanted to try Bite Me because...its vampire related and I needed to.... But alas, almond freaked out on me again, with the adition of my sometimes-enemy, caramel, this blend was doomed to fail. I get a strong, sickly smell of florals (yes, almond becomes florally on me, why I dont know.) and it overpowers all the other decants, including Sugar moon that I kinda smothered. This is a big NO for me. Away with thee!

>OMG! now that I read one of the other reviews, yeah, the rose is like...beast in this thing.

Edited by Dracoo9

I see where people are getting the rose. On me, it's like a sweet caramel rose, with a bit of cherry/almond. I'm not a fan of rose and it isn't what I expected or hoped for but it's kind of nice. Even though rose is not listed in the notes, this may be the first "rose" scent I can wear b/c it is so toned town by the caramel and almond.

Also happy that the caramel is not overwhelmingly cloying on this.

All in all, not what I expected, but rather nice and I'll enjoy my decant!

In the bottle: Caramel and rose.

Wet: Rose and sweet, sweet pastry.

Dry: Just a hint of rose. But now it smells like pastries while you are eating them. That sticky smell that gets stuck on your fingers along with that runny white glazing. And just a hint of caramel. YUM.

A while later: Caramel baked goods. Think I am getting a bit of the almond. This smells like sweet, sweet pastry. Delicious!

Preface: if I had known there was rose lurking in these depths, I wouldn't have bothered. :)

That said, I actually like the pastry note here -- it's very light and fluffy and less buttery than many of the cake/foody perfumes I've tried, which is a nice change. This really comes out in the drydown, which is pleasant soft almondy pastry.

Unfortunately, the primary note in this scent while it was wet is definitely rose, and it stomps everything else into submission pretty thoroughly. Caramel can often be a loud note on me, and I was expecting that as a potential problem here, but not even caramel can stand up to the power of rose on my skin.

As it dried, the other notes poked their heads up again, but it was too late, I had already passed.

Alas!! So wonderfully caramelly/almondy in the decant but the drydown is doing that celery thing on me. I do get a hint of the rose that so many people are mentioning, though--it seems to be coming out more the longer this is on my skin! Odd. I may give this a retry once I'm a little less hormonal and see how it turns out.

On the skin: Blackberry jam, honey, and.....? VERY foodie. Pretty nice though! The SO isn't around to give his opinion, but as a foody lover, I think it would be near the top of his list. Doesn't change much to dry down. Thankfully, I never get any of the almond.

In the imp I get cherry from the almond, the tiniest bit of caramel and something else I can't yet identify. On my wrist it immediately turns...to linen? And floral? It doesn't register as rose but I definitely get some floral. I don't know what croquembouche smells like and while I wasn't expecting anything really cakey as it's cream-filled pastry I don't really get anything remotely like dessert. It really is a floral linen scent on me, although not as sharp or sweet as Antique Lace. After a while I do get some sweetness but I wouldn't call it caramel. In fact, for once caramel plays nice with me in the form of not showing its pee-like face. Maaaaaybe just a wayward smudged caramel fingerprint to account for the sweetness but nothing more. I'm surprised and pleased by this scent.

Not a lot of throw. The floral eventually fades and I'm left with a very light, slightly creamy scent. I'm glad I didn't let the caramel scare me off.

In vial: Almond, burnt sugar, floral honey?

Wet on skin: Almond, caramel (not burnt anymore!), honey, but not necessarily floral anymore

Dry: odd! Kind of like a clean floral honey. No idea where the almond has gone, nor any sign of croquembouche! It's actually less foody than I thought it was going to be!

Sometimes almond turns to cherry on me, sometimes it doesn't. In Bite Me, it does. Whoa, does it. It's practically cough syrup at first, with a little hint of... dryness? underneath.

Once it dries, it's sort of like cherries and, um. There is this jello salad that has celery in it. It smells like that celery tastes. That probably does not help many people, but that's the best description I've got. I see other reviewers mentioned rose, and I think that is combining with the caramel to make that celery-taste note.

Sniffed: Golden oil. A little bit of cake, a distinct burnt sugar, dark caramel note that is unlike other caramel notes in BPAL - much less sweet, much more aromatic, and really delicious. Then the almond is the strongest note, and it's almost perfumey, like an amber or something, but I like that part. There's also a strong benzaldehyde-fake cherry aspect to the almond that I don't like.

Wet: On my skin, much the same, although maybe the cherry-almond extract note is amper? It's a little less sweet. I really wish I got more cake or any sort of a creamy type of note, but I don't at all - this is not a creamy scent in the least.

Dry: The perfuminess of this strongly reminds me of another BPAL scent - I THINK Cleopatra Testing Poisons. I get a strong feeling of sweet resiny & syrupy warmth. It reminds of a non-aquatic Thalassa & the Queen of Sheba too. If it weren't for the softly lingering deep caramel note, I wouldn't even call this foody.

Later: Okay, now there is a definitely rose note. WTF. It's like almond extract and rose with a hint of dark caramel, but not foody anymore with the emergence of the rose. It is however, a really nice fresh, fruity rose note like in The Rose - in fact, I'm almost positive they share some of the same notes, maybe even some freesia too.

Summary: What a morpher! Rose-scented almond extract-flavoured dark caramel.Quite 'perfumey' and I don't think a man could pull this off. Strange and not actually foody in the final drydown. Good throw & longevity.

:huh:

Very nice!! This is very elegant actually.

Wet: Foody almond and caramel.

On skin: A sweet floral is amping along with the almond (which as others have said is a darker, less cherry almond)

Dry: Rosy almond but the rose-like note (whetever is causing that) is controlled and not sickening like most rose blends.

I really like this even though its not what I was expecting! :)

Edited by Yoginispirit

I get the foody almond and cake goodness.... and then rose comes out in the drydown. And it dries to ROSE with a hint of almond.

GRRR.

Wow. This is not at all what I was expecting and I like it!

I was really worried about the almond since it usually goes rank on me and makes me ill, but the almond in this behaves and is barely there.

I get mostly a sweet cake scent with just a hint of spice. I'm also smelling the rose, but it's wafting in and out and I really like it!

I hope maybe I can swap for a bottle. :wub2:

In imp: roses, or maybe rosewater, and almonds and sweet profiteroles.

Wet on skin: almonds and sugar, no wait - it's caramel ... and pastry. Sweet, foody yet also perfumy, and still with a hint of rosewater. Nice!

Dry on skin: still an unusual mix of cake and perfume. Kind of caramel and almond flavoured rosewater! Surprisingly wearable! I like it! Oddly enough, on the drydown it's all sweet incense! This scent is nothing if not unexpected!

This morning is Bite Me. I was so ready to love this just because.

In the vial and wet on skin, it's a lovely sweet almond dessert. I'm quite pleased the almond is playing nice and not going all weird sour-y on me. Several hours later, it's settled nicely into my skin and become a subtle, delicious caramel covered almond. I like this very much, but I just don't think I would wear it very often, so I don't need a bottle.

Bite Me! Awwww yeah.

When people started reviewing Bite Me and noted that it somehow smelled like rose, I perked up and got very very excited about this blend. Rose is the queen of all scents for me, and I love her.

So it turns out that this blend is better than I could have imagined. You'd think it would be a foodie's foodie. But I don't think it is. It's... different. This is a foodie elevated to an elegant, unusual perfume. On my skin it becomes rose/almond silk/sweet warm vanilla & caramel, and I do mean that silk note. There is something about it that definitely makes me think that the silk descriptor is not just for giggles. I almost get a light resinous undertone to it, which may be what creates the silk effect. I heart me some resins.

I think the rose and silk are what makes this blend seem more like perfume and less like food. The caramel is very light, which is good, as it has ruined a lot of blends for me in the past (to my continual sadness). The vanilla blends into all of it and keeps it smooth. The almond is easily confused with the rose. Maybe there isn't even any rose in here, but that's how my nose is interpreting it (emphatically), and that's what's keeping me rockin' out with Bite Me.

Whatever the case. LOVE.

The staying power and throw are quite excellent. Must stock up now!

Edited by Shollin