Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sexy and suckable: black cherry brandy.

This was another massive surprise for me- I should have hated this blend with my prior history to cherry but I really enjoy this one, and it'll be going on my to replace list.

This is nothing but cherry koolaide on me (those packets of sugared drink mixes that you can use to dye yarn with and kids are obsessed with). bright screaming fire engine red cherry sugary goodness. I get nothing else- it does really remind me of a cheap cherry lollypop, but it never goes too sugary or cloying on me. I get nothing of brandy or booziness out of it, and it's definitely not a dark cherry. But I really enjoy it, and it's going to be a pick me up scent.

in the bottle: booze and cherry.. ugh, this smells a little like cherry cough syrup!

wet on skin: very sweet cherry, no more of that cough syrup! This smells like a sweet tart! Very sugary and sweet.

dry on skin: Still sweet, but the booze comes out a little more now that it's dried.

In the vial, Suck It smells like a drinkable cherry lollipop. I was thinking cough syrup at first but the booziness seems a little lower-pitched than that to me. Wet on my skin, it's cherry Kool-Aid. Dry, it's a deeply red cherry syrup, and if I didn't know better I'd say I smell something like oranges in there too. I'm not sure how often I'd use it -- I imagine it would be best as a layering tool -- but I like it a lot.

Cherry candy, this will give you cavities!

I like that it's not boozy or minty because I was expecting that dreaded "cough syrup" smell. I feel like dumping the imp into my bottle of Blood Kiss to make it smell more cherry and less vetiver, but I'm not brave enough.

Never mind, as it's drying, I smell apricot. No more cherries. Sad. :(

Yummmm. I love this. Instant top 10.

Every Christmas me & the OH get a bottle of Cherry Brandy & a bottle of Amaretto to mix with Coke & make Cherry Cola cocktails, this tastes like that (minus the amaretto) If I were nitpicking I'd say it would be perfect a little sweeter but I love it anyway :wub2:

Edited by coralprincess

First thought is cough drops. There's a bit of that almond-cherry edge that I really don't like, but it goes away in an instant. From then on, it's "black cherry brandy" bordering on maraschino cherry. This is nice, and I can't remember why I don't wear it more often.

In the bottle: Hmm. Cough syrup.

Immediately after application: Not cough syrup. More like... cherry blossom? Not boozy like I expected.

Warming up: Sweet cherries. No booze. I still feel like it's more of a cherry blossom than fruity cherry scent. For a brief moment it had that plasticky fake smell, like scented Strawberry Shortcake dolls had back in the 80s (but cherry instead of strawberry) but thankfully that was fleeting. DNW to smell like a plastic scented dolly.

Fading: It smells better as it fades, oddly. Still get predominately cherry BLOSSOM.

Faded: Wow, superfast fade. The tiniest hint of cherry is left.

Overall: It's pleasant enough, but other than Schrödinger's Cat I haven't yet DISLIKED a BPAL scent. I don't feel strongly about it. It's meh. The husband said basically the same thing I did. "That's awfully faint..." *sniffs* "Smells pretty good though. Cherry? I like the other ones better."

Thoughts before testing: I love the smell of cherry, but have never tried an oil with that note. A lot of the previous reviewers mention cough drops/syrup, so I'm a little apprehensive.

Wet: Ah. This is all cherry cough syrup on my skin. It's very sharp and medicinal smelling.

Dry down: I smell like I rubbed cherry Robitussen on my skin.

Dry: The medicinal smell finally faded after about 90 minutes, but it took the whole scent with it. Even with my nose pressed against my skin, I can't smell any hint of Suck It.

Verdict: Off to the sales page!

Suck It 2012. Well, I had high hopes for this one. I mean, Black cherry brandy? Come on! However, there is nothing sexy or suckable about this one, but rather, "let's hope it's wash offable"! I rarely encounter this with BPAL, and I usually try to love even the ones I don't love because all of the concepts are just too darn good, but this one is a huge, monumental FAIL! Upon application there's a faint whiff of cherries, then it dries down to something alltogether unpleasant, like some kind of weird antiseptic, or no, you know that smell of face cream or body cream that's gone rancid? The more it settles into my skin, the worse it gets. I am very, very dissappointed, especially considering that I almost sprung for a bottle before even getting my decant (I usually LOVE cherries, and love alcoholic notes) but I am so glad I was patient. This stuff is never going anywhere near my skin, ever again.

Suck it 2012.

In the bottle: Mmmm, cherry brandy. I want to eat it. With chocolate.

On my skin: Cherry storm! It is now spilled on my skin and taking over. It is sweet and mellow and inebriating.It doesn't smell like alcohol, more like candy. I really like it though.

Drydown: Surprisingly, it doesn't morph much and remains pretty much the same through time, like Oya did for me. The sweetness of it reminds me of Oya as well. It is almost like a single note sweet cherry. I keep wanting to suck it, though. ;)

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I sort of knew I would because as soon as I read reviews that say bleech cherry cough syrup I am like Buy! Buy it Now! Buy! because I know I am going to love it.

This one does not disappoint.

This is the same Black Cherry that I get from last years brilliant yule of the Trading Post, Black Cherry Amaretto Puddin. I love you Suck It.

I layered Suck it with Bonfire Night, I was so in love with myself. Sigh...

love this. love. yes.

Edited by stellamaris

Delicious cherry candy at first, kind of drinkable, like a cherry slurpee. Dry, it goes dusty on me, which makes me think that there may be pomegranate in this one. I don't think last year's version worked on me either.

I didn't expect this to work for me because cherries usually go a nasty cough-mixture smell, but it was gorgeous. I'm really hoping it comes back into stock :beg:

I feel really disloyal and fickle now - it's come back, but I don't think I'll buy a bottle. I love it in the imp and wet, but the dry-down appeals a lot less. It smells - weirdly, a bit like ink. Very odd. I don't hate it but I don't think I'll buy some. But I'll try it out again a few more times and see if I grow to like the ending too.

Edited by Quillifer

In the decant: Black cherry brandy, as on the label.

Wet: More of the same. :)

The dry-down: Nice black cherry brandy. :)

2012 version:

This scent is pretty consistent on me from bottle to drydown. It's a sweet cherry, which smells somewhat like artificial cherry but not in a bad way, if that makes sense. It's like a cherry lollipop or cherry soda. It's not very boozy on me, although as it dries it starts to smell a bit more spiced and warm, which I imagine is the brandy note. I pretty much love it and am glad I got a bottle this year. :D

2012 version

In bottle...sweet, red cherries, no real boozy note to my nose.

On wet...succulent sweet cherry candies. No cough syrup that I can discern.

Dry down...the cherry takes on a touch of a bitter note, moving away from the earlier candy note. Now a touch of booziness appears, warming, like a sip of some brandy as it goes down.

If I didn't love cherry so much this would be meh, but since I love cherry it is Yah!!! ;)

ETA: Color me sad, because this faded faster than any BPAL I have ever experienced, 30 minutes later and I can maybe smell the ghost of the cherries, which is amazing because it is an incredibly assertive scent when first applied.

No worries though, I think I'll make some into solid perfume and see if that enhances the length I get from it, it's worth the trouble because while it hangs around it is lush and amazing.

Edited by Wren12

In the bottle - Almondy cherries

Wet on me - Very sweet cherries with a hint of booze beneath

Dry on me - A light, pretty cherry scent

Overall - The dry down was lighter and less sweet than I expected, but I like it

ETA this was the 2009 version

Edited by Ajila

2012 version

In the imp - Sickly sweet.

Wet - I’m pulling an almost green scent from this. Or is it … powder? Something I really don’t like.

Drydown - I get the sickly, vampiric vibe from this. It smells slightly spoiled. The blackness of the cherry is drowning everything else, and the mystery funk is permeating the entire blend.

Verdict - I really wanted to like this, and the notes should have worked for me, but something went awry and I’ve got to put it in the swap pile. The scent description suggests layering with Lick It. The closest thing I have is Lick It Softly, and it does layer quite well. Still, I don’t think it’s something I’ll wear.

Black cherry brandy, eh? I definitely smell the black cherry, but what's probably supposed to smell like brandy smells medicinal on me. So, unfortunately this smells like a cough drop. It's not bad, I actually like the scent of cough drops. But, not really as perfume.

2009 version

This reminds me of the "grape spirit" note in Bess--it's a bit cold and sticky smelling, and borderline-sparkly but not quite. There is a booziness to it but it's not overwhelming. Surprisingly this has almost no throw on me, and I actually wish it were stronger. Unless I really get in there I can't smell it at all, and it's actually stronger in the imp! Oh, well. Maybe a future incarnation will work better on me.

2009:

Anyone else think of The Office?? “You put it in your Suck It and you suck it!” “SUCK IT!” “Suck it!” “SUCK IT!” ...No? Just me?

Not expecting to love this as cherry is not my thing, nor are booze notes.

Smells like a straight-up cherry lollipop in the imp, kind of nice. More like a cherry liquor on my skin. Faded in a few minutes to a faint sweet cherry. I liked it more than I thought I would, but it's still not quite for me.

In the bottle

Thick, sweet, and boozy with an ever-so-slight cough syrupy edge. But if you've read a few of my other reviews, you know that I love this kind of thing.

Wet on skin

It smells like a sugary sweet cherry booze drink. There is something whiskey-ish in here and I love it.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes

The cough syrup-esque quality disappears as soon as this dries down, and it turns into delicious boozy cherries. Not candy cherries. Boozy cherries.

Thoughts

Total winner, and a departure from most of my BPAL collection. It's not super complicated, not super complex, just beautiful and fruity and sexy and fun. I could probably wear this to work as long as I wasn't heavy handed.

2018 version.

This is the strongest of 2018 cherry Weenie offerings, but I am not a fan of this one at all.

In the decant, it makes me think of a black cherry lollipop, but on my skin, it is definitely cherry booze. I get lots of strong brandy. After a while, it ends up smelling like boozy cherry chapstick on me.

Not for me.

2018!

Wet: Sugary sweet black cherry brandy. Yum. 

Dry: Most of the sweetness has faded, and the black cherry is incredibly light now. The brandy scent itself has taken over, and it's just... not my thing.

Wet stage was a winner, dry-down not so much.