Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Eerie billows of spun sugar, fluttering white cotton, and sheets of cream.

I got a partial of Boo 09 from a wonderful swapmate and was so very excited because I've been aching to try it and never had a chance! Definitely a treat and not a trick!

In the bottle: mmm...vanilla-y...light sugar with rich cream.

On wet: pretty true to the bottle, I am in lurv. Airy sweet spun sugar with cream slowly warming and breathing richness and body into the fluffy sugar.

On dry: the cotton wafts into the wonderfulness that is already happening here, light, a clean and slightly crisp back note to the wonderful that is already happening here. The cream continues to warm and is lush under the perfect sweetness of the sugar, giving a very vanilla feel to the scent.

All in all, love this soso much. I will treasure this bottle!

In the imp: Intensely sweet creaminess.

Wet: Yup, like sugar and linen. I'm imagining this as a cloud of pink sparkles emenating from my wrists.

Dry: Sweet linen and cream. I can't decide if I like this or if it's sour saccrahine.

I have Boo 2011- to me it has a lot of spun sugar, and it is also kinda buttery... I had 2012 and it had more linen IMO and also a lemony hint.

I have Boo 2011, and it is my go to BPAL scent. It is pure joy of sugared cream and a hint of coconut. I find I can face the worst day with a hint of a smile wearing Boo.

While in the bottle Boo is pure vanilla on my skin it is like living in a pool of freshly made custard lightly scented with coconut. Vanilla is usually a strong scent on me and for me but something about Boo it goes all coconut and cream, and I love it. It's not that suntan oil coconut but the scent of freshly cracked coconut, blended with cream and sugar.

Boo 2012

To my nose: A sweet and buttery scent, that is almost cake-y. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be like the evil migraine-cake in Eat Me ices_tot.gif

On: A buttery cake with a vanilla detergent as an undertone. The cream helps mellow out the detergent, so it's not as sharp as detergents can be.

After a few minutes: Huuuh..It smells like some creamy ricepudding. You know, like ris á l'amande (if you're familiar with that). Oddly enough I really like it at this stage. Usually buttery type of scents give me terrible migraines, but this one works. I keep wondering if it's the clean laundry that makes this bearable to me? It's not at all what I had expected from Boo. I'm kinda bummed that the spun sugar ditched the party before it had even started. But I'm also happy that the cake left.

Might need some further testing before I decide what to do with this.

Boo 2009

Now this is good!

I am picking up on the billows of spun sugar. Wet it smells like sugar and on my skin it smells like warm sugar. Not 'cooked" like caramel...this has a warm slightly brown quality to it. It's very yummy only I can't put my finger on what treat this would smell like.

I am getting the cream. No white cotton but that's okay with me!

Boo is really great. Throw like crazy and good staying power. I put this on a few hours before bed last night. I woke up smelling it. It wasn't on my skin any longer but my pillow smelled like it.

There is a drawback to wearing this however. Last night when I put it on all I could think about was eating sugar cookies. If there was anything sweet in the house, I would have caved in and ate it, diet be damned.

Someone suggested to me that Boo would be very marshmallow smelling. I can see that sort of. To me it's more of a melty marshmallow smell if anything, but yet that’s almost grasping because marshmallow doesn't come to my mind really when I smell Boo.

The search for marshmallow continues.

As for my bottle of Boo 2009, it’s a keeper. No need for a back up as I will only be wearing this every once in a blue moon, but I like this enough to keep my bottle. :yum:

Boo 2012:

Only in the bottle do I get the cotton/linen note.

On my skin, this is sweet, creamy vanilla. Sometime in the first hour, when it has warmed up, I get the very light lemon note. I love lemon, so this makes Boo even better.

Boo is so light and airy that it will be a perfect vanilla for summer, not that that will prevent me wearing it now in the fall.

I'm so glad I decided to try a bottle of this, unsniffed.

In the Bottle: Very similar to Midway, a soft caramel. Maybe a hint if cotton.

Wet: Cream and caramel. Very milky, like a caramel milkshake. Lovely.

Drydown: Goes through a bit of a medicinal stage, which my mum described as vit C tablets, but dries to a lovely soft caramel with the lab's powdery cream note, and a hint of clean cotton.

Verdict: I quite like this. It's a little bit overwhelmingly sweet while wet, but the drydown is very nice. The throw also isn't too bad. I go by the assumption that if I can smell wafts, other people can too and I can definitely smell it. The sugar in Midway was all caramel on me and nothing else, and was way too sweet, but I think the cream and cotton really soften it here. This is the Midway for me :D.

4/5

So Boo reminds me mainly of condensed milk cream. It smells delicious, but strangely enough way too foody for me; could be because i'm not into really a big condensed milk fan.

Boo 2010

I've never had any problems with milk or cream notes besides them being very faint and often completely overpowered by other notes. So I was a bit shocked when I testes Boo for the first time - it was so sour. From the bottle and on skin sour vanilla-flavoured yogurt or buttermilk all the way. :confused: It did mellow a bit after a while, a bit more vanilla and bit less sour milk. But still.. yogurt. Since I was testing it straight out of mailbox I thought I should let the oil settle for some time before testing again.

From the bottle it's still quite sour vanilla milk. On skin the sourness mellows quickly and I can actually detect some cotton/linen too. Now the cream is so much more soft and pleasant. It's very sweet but also clean smelling vanilla whipped cream. Some milky scents don't seem to last very well on me and stay very close to skin but Boo has lots of both throw and staying power. I am not sure if I've found my perfect milk scent yet but I'm glad I gave it another go. I can see myself reaching for Boo quite often.

Edited by maija

Buttery vanilla, but mostly condensed milk...it reminds me Gollettes althought I like Gollettes more than Boo which has a sort of weirdness, rottness....Gollettes is softer and gentler...but substantially they are very similar..I have to say hat I expected more reading the reviews...but it's ok...

2012 version.

I've read over all the reviews because I was so startled over what I smelled. After reading them it makes sense. It seems people either smell one version with linens/vanilla cream, or one version with buttery sweet burnt/smoky vanilla.

I experienced the latter.

Started out very sugary sweet with a smoky note.

Dried down to smelling like the top crust of a creme brulee. Definitely not what I was expecting. Very sugary, very foody, deep overcooked caramel scent. I love gourmand scents so it's not hard for me to like, but I can definitely see this being way too much for someone who isn't into them.

ETA: Something I missed the first times wearing it. Hours later, when it is barely the faintest whisper on my skin I get a lovely vanilla cream scent. Would be beautiful if that was what showed up in the beginning.

Edited by andabri

Boo 2011

This was a scent I was super excited to try! When I smelled it in the bottle I could smell the yummy cream note. When I put it on my skin the cream and sugar were lovely but then came the COTTON! Cotton on me turned into soap, and I don't like those clean soapy type scents. They typically don't work for me but I hoped the cream and sugar would make it work because I love those notes but sadly they weren't strong enough to save it. It has very light throw and weak staying power. This is a scent I've considered trying again but too scared.

I was lucky to get a decant of this from 2010/2011 can't remember which, and boy does it smell good on me.

In the bottle it smells like a syrupy sweet vanilla.

Wet on my skin it smells like a creamy caramel with a hint of clean cotton.

5 hours later I'm getting something very similar to Dorian and I'm very happy about that!

This was a total impulse buy. I got the hair gloss unsniffed, and then before it even arrived, decided to snatch up a bottle of 2009 from the forum.

So far, really glad I did! I was totally scared of the cotton note. I HATE the smell of laundry in a perfume, almost makes me queasy. Makes no sense, I love the smell of actual laundry....

Anyway, this is mostly caramelized sugar on me, with hints of cream, and just the vaguest whiff of cotton, but none of that "laundry" smell I was worried about. Though this is a Weenie, I feel more like I will want to wear it a lot in the Spring. It's sweet but not cloying, and somehow manages to smell "clean". I really like this, it is foodie but very different from other foodie blends I have.

Boo is sweet and light, a whisper of a scent that is enticing on its own. Its a cotton candy and sweet light scent. It doesn't stay on my skin for very long, but in a scent locket it is a light scent of sweetness and familiarity. It also has a slightly vanilla sugar scent. It reminds me of the smell of cotton candy at a festival.

Great scent for when I want to smell clean but a little bit sweet. I get exactly the notes on the bottle - clean laundry, fresh out of the dryer with a hint of dryer sheets, plus a bit of sugary sweetness. It lasts, but doesn't have a lot of throw - which is nice for work, when I don't want coworkers to be hit in the face with my perfume, but I want to smell nice.

2011 version: Sugar and cream in the bottle. Goes on as a clear mixture of all three notes. I get sugar crystals, like it wants to be the Lab's brûlée note but it's softer, not quite as caramelized. The cotton note becomes stronger for a bit — I was getting more "clean linen," which is a nice scent but doesn't work with the food. This soon departs, and it dries into creamy sweetness with just a hint of the caramel note. Hours later, the cloth scent comes back — this is starting to remind me of Stekkjarstaur. If you liked him, you'll like this, but I didn't care for him.

Edited by Soupy Twist

After huffing this out of the bottle, I really wanted to like this on me...I so wanted to.

I bought this in 2012, and within moments of trying it, it sharpened, and smelled like lemon pine-sol mixed with whipped cream on me. I love citrus scents, but this was plastic, and artificial.

I tried it again tonight, after giving it a few years to age...hoping...

Alas, it just does not play well with my skin. :cry2:

It's going to go into the swap pile, someone needs to love this.

2009 version.

In the imp: vanilla cream.

Wet: Super buttery vanilla cream

Dry: vanilla cream with light dusty of spun sugar.

2009 Version - AHHGG nOOO spun sugar never amps on me (it fades) WHY. Ugh this smells so good but right at application it starts to fade away and I'm so upset about it lol. The cotton gives this a fuzzy happy dimension which for some strange reason reminds me of The wizard of Oz. And possibly the song Broad daylight. Smooth cream, so soft. It's nice but due to the fact that the sweetness of the spun sugar has gone makes it much less magical, as cute as it is. :ghost:

Edited by Cali

2012 Version, From an original Decant circle, not traded around. Just got around to sniffing it.

It's just a faint trace of sugar on clean clothes. But with a slight wonk to it - almost buttery waxy. That wonk throws this scent out of my keeps and to the swaps. Hopefully someone else can enjoy this!