Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Eerie billows of spun sugar, fluttering white cotton, and sheets of cream.

Origin: Decant circle

Initial Thoughts: I have let this one go by for a couple of years now, but for some reason decided to throw it on the list this year.

In the vial: Very sweet cream, laced with vanilla.

Wet: Softer and with a linen note that I didn't find in the vial. Much cooler and much less foody.

Drydown: It warms up somewhat, but is hovering on this irritating edge, teetering between going back to the lovely foody feel or on over to something that's just blah. The indecision, it drives me mad.

Verdict: Scent locket for the decant. Edited by puck_nc

On me this is thick caramelized sugar, syrupy. On the drydown I get fresh out of the dryer laundry. Could be a nice comfort scent if I keep enjoying the amazingly sweet phase. The drydown could put me to sleep, it's so soft and fluffy. :wub2: I picture myself wearing this a lot through the winter. Another unexpected favorite 'Weenie - these sugary food scents have only just started to work for me, but now when they do, they're amazing!

Edited by Viridian

On me, this stays true to scent from the imp to wet to dry- sweet vanilla cream tempered by linens. There was a burnt smell that cut a little into my enjoyment of it in my initial test, but now that I've let it rest, I'm happy to report it's disappeared. There's a decent amount of throw and pretty good staying power. It's sweet, creamy, and uncomplicated, and some days that's exactly what I'm in the mood for.

In the bottle:Vanilla, sweet sugary vanilla...very similar to cake batter actually!

wet:Marshmellowy vanilla, with a buttery undertone. I'm a big fan of this! I smell good enough to eat!!

drydown:wait, where are you going?? This scent goes from in your face to mellow fast! The sugary scent diminishes pretty quickly leaving just a hint of vanilla and...cotton?

After 5 minutes:mostly cotton with a whiff of vanilla. It's somewhat unassuming and doesn't have much throw. It's an unoffensive oil that I could see wearing to work with no complaints.

In Imp: Creamy, sugary, vanilla-candy. It reminds me of the Vanilla tootsie rolls; creamy and yummy!

Wet: The cream amps and the sugar actually fades a little when it's on. I'm getting pure warm sheets out of the dryer (not to be confused with dryer sheets, lol) with a cup of warmed sweet cream next to them. I'm almost getting a little plastic out of it this time, but I don't usually when I try this: I suspect that it's the lotion I've got on.

Drydown: It stays fairly true to itself; sweet white sugar, cream, white cotton sheets (probably with two holes cut out for your eyes!) I really like this scent because it's soft, sweet, and unassuming; it's a "playful, soft feminine" scent for those of us who don't really do floral.

Verdict: I may actually have to do a bottle of this this year. I don't know why I never did before?? 4/5

This is the 2011 version. I can't remember why previous versions haven't worked all that well for me, but I think they went plasticy on my skin, or uber sweet, maybe both. Wet, this one almost seems to have a slight citrus quality, probably my nose translating the cotton. So far, this one is behaving, a soft, fluffy vanilla, though the fresh quality is gone. This reminds me of the jars of marshmallow cream. I may need to track down more than this sniffy for the odd time I'm in the mood for foody.

boo is clean, sweet and cuddly. like a teddy bear in a ghost costume. it's so soft and clean and yummy… it's light and gentle on its own, but i think it would be great to layer it with things that could use some added sweet creaminess. happiness to my nose!

For me this smells like sugary liquid butter. And it's definitely a warm scent.

It's not very complex on me but it's making my mouth water, lol. I'm not sure if I want to actually smell like it myself - but I might! Keeping my decant even if I only sniff it from time to time. (No idea which version I have but I think it's from the first release)

Boo 2012, tested fresh from the lab. "Eerie billows of spun sugar, fluttering white cotton, and sheets of cream."

Bottle: caramel-y sugar and cream

Wet: wet and sweet sugar and rich cream, some whiteness coming out

Drydown: Creeeeeaamy goodness, a bit of sweet, kindof like the creaminess of the coconut note with something slightly dry and white. Slightly acidic citrus when it hit my skin, before it started to muddle with the other notes.

Dry: Reminds me of something... something SO familiar! I swear there's at least one BPAL scent that's similar on me that I love. At first, I thought it was a bit drier and acrid than it actually was before the full throw hit me. Pleasant amount of throw, not an insane strength on my skin but enough to waft as I flail.

Hmmm... familiar...

Now, this reminded me of Alice for the cream, but then I realized something wasn't matching... the tea and carnation aren't here. Then, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, the powdery sweetness of amber matches a bit with the sweet pea bringing the extra sweetness... but not as warm. And it hits me! Eat Me. Buttery sweetness without the fruity tinges. Eat Me is an HG mini-gourmand for me and Boo DEFINITELY makes me happy, but they're so similar on me so far. The longevity and amount of throw are nearly identical, as well as the creamy sweetness. The big difference is the slightly dry cotton scent versus the dark berry/currant undercurrent through Eat Me. I'm not sure if I would choose one over the other yet, ack!

Mmmm sugary buttery and warm with a hint of cotton. perfect and simple!

It is pretty true to what it smells like in the bottle, perhaps a bit less IN HOUR FACE sugar. I don't the dryer sheets that people describe, just cuddly, warm, and yummy. Glad I got a bottle of this.

It'll be good for layering over things that need a bit of a sweet kick too. Mmm :)

What on earth? Am I crazy? Did I get an odd bottle?

This is Boo... but... Boo - linen + lemon. It is VERY lemony. And sugary. And that's it. I have the '09 version and the '10 version, never tried '11 but this is TOTALLY different.

ETA: I gave this time to dry side by side with Boo 2010, and did not sniff them for an hour. Once dry, this is definitely Boo! The lemon settles into the cotton-vanilla and sugar. It's finally recognizable! I think I may end up liking this better once dry, because though it has that touch of lemon, it never gets that odd sourness that the first two years tend to have on me.

Edited by Klepz

In the bottle and wet this goes on very buttery and sweet, it reminds me a bit of sugared popcorn, though a bit lighter and warmer.

As it dries I pick up some of the linen and like the previous poster there's definitely some trace of a lemony or citrus zing, but I really love the fragrance. It's quite a nice one to wear, and isn't necessarily heavy or autumn per se! A keeper for me.

Ohhhhh, yum. Creamy. This scent makes me want to wear a fuzzy sweater and gold earrings. and eat vanilla cake. But wait, is that .....lemon? omg Im in lust.

Wheeee so happy I have this years version, it's my third now I have the previous two years, 2010 I found to be cream, linen, and raisins, 2011 was straight cream and linen, and this years is cream, linen and lemons. All of them are good.

I love Boo, not only is it wearable, and lasting, but it plays well with other sweet scents, like Perversion or Maison de Pain Epices, giving them a rounder quality.

In the imp, the most luscious, rich, buttery scent ever. I nearly swooned, then slathered away. This is gonna be sooo good, right???

Hmmmmm.... still smells foody, but more like a Duncan Hines Lemon Cake Mix. Straight from the box, the powdery mix itself, before anything else is added. I happen to like that scent, and have been known to eat the powder (!!!), so yeah, this will work.

Hey? What happened? Why did my Lemon Cake Mix turn into baby powder? I guess it's the "cotton" scent. My skin apparently amps it, big time. It got stronger as the night wore on. Less baby powder, more Bath and Body Works Clean Cotton on steroids.

Since I don't particulary care to smell like laundry, I will pass on a bottle. Too bad it didn't stay true to the imp. I would have bought it by the gallon!

Edited by zeldaZ4

This is the 2012 version. It starts out with thick and super sweet, sugary, cream. I also get the butteriness that other reviewers describe. The final dry down of this is really pretty - I can actually smell the linen and the sugar fades away to leave a sweet, creamy scent. I love the dry down of this, the initial stages are way to sweet and foody for me. I am going to re-test this one, it's nice but I'm not sure how often I will wear it.

This is fluffy, creamy, sweet goodness with an unexpected lemony twist. The vanilla is light, secondary to the cream. It lasts about three hours and has decent throw. I'm thinking I need a bottle.

boo smelled amazing to me in the bottle and when first on my skin, like vanilla cake batter. once it dried, the vanilla cake batter took second place to a clean laundry scent. it's a comforting scent to me. it doesnt smell bad, but its just not a scent i would wear regularly.

i should mention that when my boyfriend smelled it, he said it smells like the beach...which im guessing might mean sunscreen?

Thoughts before testing: I love cream and cotton, but I'm afraid that the sugar will turn this too sweet for me.

Wet: Sugar and cream oh my! Slightly lemony, maybe the cotton? The lemon note is gone within the first two minutes though, so I'm not sure what that was about.

Dry down: This smells almost like sweet suntan lotion to my nose. I have no idea how.

Dry: Just a gentle sweet scent is left now.

Final thoughts: This is pretty, but very not me.

Verdict: Off to the sales!

I'm getting a lemony citrus vibe along with the vanilla cream and a touch of cotton. Dry, less lemon, a clean linen more than cotton to me, and of course, the lovely vanilla. This one doesn't go plastic on me, and I either need a couple of decants, perhaps a bottle. Oh, I"m getting the suntan lotion that I was interpreting as linen.

Boo '12: Starts off dessertlike but not in a pleasant way, more like in the family of cream cheese frosting and marshmallows, too sweet and a little off. As it dries, well, the Lab is spot on as always: clear scent of freshly laundered linens and marshmallow fluff. At one point I may have gotten a brief whiff of coconut? Sort of sickly on and off (this may be attributed to the “coconut” thing, we’re not the best of friends), this reminds me quite a bit of Sue’s Great Old Puppet Show. A few hours later, it’s more of a straightforward sugar and cream. I may swap this one, I’m not overly in love with it.

This one does NOT work for me in any way.

In the bottle/first on my skin: there is just too much sweetness going on. It smells fake-sweet to me, like candy sweet--something chemical rather than authentic.

After that: Hello, Lemon Pledge! Plus a little sugar.

Eventually the Lemon Pledge recedes, and then it's just a SN vanilla, or possibly two vanillas, and while I love those notes, I like them much better with other things I like, not sugar-shocky rancid lemon pledge.

Oh well, that means more for someone else! Off to the swaps!

Boo 2012 version

In the bottle: I get a very sweet creamy fruity scent. Not citrusy at all, almost sickly sweet berries rather than sharp lemon.

Wet on skin: Going on wet it starts to smell a lot more lemony, but sweet and creamy at the same time. As it dries it still smells quite fruity but the linen starts to come out.

Dry: I haven't tried any of the previous years and nearly skipped it because I thought it might be too sickly, and I wasn't really crazy about the scent when it was wet. I really like linen scents though so decided to give it a try. Luckily the linen really comes out when it's dry and the fruitiness has gone. It is still quite sweet though so I would go quite easy on it in future because it has a lot of throw and the sweetness might be a bit overpowering. To me it smells like a blend of Antique Lace and Dirty. Very nice.

This is for Boo 2012.

In the bottle: Sweet vanilla cream, with just the softest hint of something fruity, perhaps like a berry?

Wet: Now a little more sugary and a little more fruity.

The dry-down:Settles back down into the vanilla cream, not so sweet or fruity, and just a slight hint of the cotton note. So far this is my fave Boo, ever since the scent debuted. :)