Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Eerie billows of spun sugar, fluttering white cotton, and sheets of cream.

Boo confuses my brain.
I recall the description
.....but it warps to painting images in my mind of bed sheets hanging in the breeze but made of cotton candy. I won't say somehow my mind
thinks about eating them, b/c that would sound a bit too strange. But then maybe that thought is really there. :P

Bottle: Smells buttery, sweet and marshmallow-y
Skin: It doesn't deviate from the bottle impression. Its ubery super duper sweet and boy is candy dandy.
I am not sure I get any seperate elements. It smells creamy, but I can't say I smell the cream.

Its quite a piece of art though. I can testify that I haven't tasted Boo (I am not totally off my head) but its one of those ones that comes close to crossing the lines on what sensation its actually tickling. Its def. scent, obviously, but its power kind of extends beyond just scent. Its one of those ones that makes you ponder whether you could actually live on BPAL alone. ;)

Simiar Vein to: Marshmallow Poof, Velvet Unicorn, Pink Plastic Flamingo Edited by Shollin

Boo dry immediately reminds me of Velvet Unicorn and slightly reminiscent of Love's Philosophy? I don't know - I know Sandalwood isn't listed as a note but that's what I'm getting. Maybe it's been forever since I've smelled it but that's what my nose says.

I definitely smell the marshmallow and cream - and it's heavy on the sugar. I don't get any linen notes immediately though I could see this heading in that direction after a long wear. possibly.

I love sweet foody scents but just like Velvet Unicorn, this might even be a hair too sweet for me. I could dig having a bottle or even half a bottle of this for those rare occasions I want a scent to really waft.

I think anyone who really loves VU will truly appreciate this blend, too bad it's an LE.

This one is utterly lovely. When BPAL foody scents go right on me, they go really, really right. This is one of them. It is like Underpants in the way that though it's foody-ish, there's something else going on in there that makes it more like perfume smelling than I-fell-on-a-cake. Is it the cotton? I really don't know. This is one I cannot really pin down the notes on. It isn't the sugar that I recognize in, say, Sugar Skull or Sticky Pillowcase (which, on my skin, is a good thing!) The cream is perfect- no hint of plastic, just absolute smooth vanilla-y goodness. It is very, very, very, very long lasting on me. I can smell it very clearly 24 hours after I apply. That's unusual for me. It's got pretty intense throw too. This is for sure a hoardable for me, dangit. it is just perfect.

In the bottle, I'm getting spun sugar, sheets, and cream. On my skin, it's sugar and linen, and absolutely beautiful.

I'm a little amazed I haven't reviewed this scent yet. I honestly don't remember when I got my bottle, but it was after the 'Weenies had come down and I got it from a forumite. So, it's just a bit aged now (I'm retrying my stash randomly).

Wet, this very much is a fresh marshmallow - gooey, sticky, and sweet.

As it dries, the sweetness gets tempered by the cotton note so that it isn't so overpowering - but trust me, it's still there, and still a main component. The cream is either so entwined with the sugar that my nose can't separate it, or it's sitting in the background far enough that distinguishing it is difficult.

While I like this scent, it is not something I would automatically grab for as my top 5 when I'm indecisive.

I may or may not hold on to it. We will see...

There were a few scents I bought unsniffed when the Halloween update went live, and this was the one that I was the most sure would work. I was totally right. I'm happy to report it's even better than I thought it would be.

It smells exactly as described, like creamy, sugary candy with a slight hint of linen. Like if Sticky Pillowcase didn't have the fruit note.

My husband's verdit: "It smells like vanilla frosting." Totally. In an amazing, wearable way. Love this one! :wub2:

Boo 2010 is AWESOME. I can't compare it to last years because I have not tested that one.

While wet, the milky note is more apparent, but the sugar sweetness is just perfect. Normally I don't much like "milk" notes because it makes me smell like I poured milk all over myself or something, but this is evenly balanced with the sugar sweetness. It reminds me very much of those Japanese milk chew candies called White Rabbits, I am even reminded of the rice paper film covering!

I can't really detect any 'cotton' notes, but it might just be too subtle for my anti-analytical nose!

When dry it reminds me more of Snow White, but more confectionary and less floral. This is my favorite so far of the 2010 Halloweenies (though I haven't tried much yet!)

Edited by ancilla

This is my first experience with Boo and I'm not totally sure what to make of it. Hmmm, I waffle from loving it to wondering if I love it. It's sorta weird on me.

In the bottle: this smells like buttery, creamy vanilla frosting. It's so yummy.

Wet on skin: same but then there's the cotton note. Funny, I never really thought about what cotton smells like but when I smell this on my arm it's clear as day - that's cotton! Do I like how cotton smells?

Drydown: Sugary. I like the sugary aspect but that cotton is waving itself around pretty vigorously.

A few hours later: White sugar is about all that's left and it is pretty wonderful.

I guess Boo isn't exactly what I was expecting, which is crazy of me because it really does smell like it's description. I suppose I was expecting more sweet and instead my skin is giving me a whole lot of cotton. A sweet cotton but I'd probably prefer just straight up sugar. I'm definitely keeping my bottle because I do enjoy this scent and I am curious to see what happens to it over time, so it's a winner, just not a ZOMG! type of winner. *shrug*

Edit: Just to clarify that while I may not be totally in love with the way the cotton plays out on my skin, I would not have this scent any other way. This is evocative of a sweet smelling cotton sheet that someone would throw over themselves as a ghost costume on Halloween. And that's what I love most about what Beth does - she captures a mood, an experience, a time or place and puts it into a bottle. It's magic, I tells ya, magic! So, because of all that - I love Boo. I do love Boo. ^_^

Second Edit: So, after letting my bottle of this sit and rest for a weeks it's become so beautiful. It's so much sweeter and creamier while the cotton note has calmed down considerably. I can't stop wearing it now!

Edited by Antoinette

Boo 2010

This is my first Halloween with BPAL so Boo 2010 happens to be one of my first Halloweenies ever, so I obviously haven't tried the older versions of Boo.

In the Bottle: Sugary sweet vanilla cotton candy. I'd love to make my whole room smell this sweet!

Wet/On the Wrist: Still sugary cotton candy that's got a vanilla flavoring to it. I don't like it as much as I like Golletes, but it's nice none-the-less.

Dry: Mmm. Ok, I recognize this smell. It smells like Warm Vanilla Sugar from Bath and Body Works, without the plastic or sharpness to it. I like it. It will be nicer in the colder months, for sure.

From reading reviews of last year's Weenies, I was really hoping Boo would make a comeback. This was the first bottle in my shopping cart, and it doesn't disappoint.

The lab's cream note sometimes goes butter popcorn on me, which was my biggest fear with Boo.

In the bottle: Hmm, definitely sweet cream, a little buttery/caramel-y to my nose.

Wet on skin: the caramel note gives way to a sugary sweetness, then a drier linen note that grounds everything. Breathing deeper, there's also this amazing sweet cream note- it's seriously cold heavy cream with sugar in it, like the dregs of strawberries and cream. It smells so good.

Dry: more of the linen and sweet cream.

This is a winner for sure- I'll definitely be snagging a backup of Boo!

Imp: Really good vanilla extract

Wet: Oh hey there's the cotton. Vanilla cream too. Clean and sweet. And interesting combo!

Drydown: No more vanilla, but definitely sugar. Maybe a little bit of the cotton left, and I'd say it's creamy while not smelling of cream

Overall: Boo is a great scent. It's sweet and comforting with a little bit of specialness from the cotton...but I know I don't need a bottle. I have Velvet Unicorn to cover my super-sweet scent needs, and Boo just won't fill a niche that VU doesn't. But I can definitely recommend giving Boo a try :) I'll probably hang on to my decant!

Wet: uber yummy vanilla cake!!!

Drydown: the cotton tempers the sweetness and makes it more wearable versus "I slipped and fell on this cake" Which I didn't mind too much either

Dry: Its all vanilla now. I'm not entirely sure if I want a bottle though. Its a nice vanilla but I miss the cotton and the cake :/

OK getting a bottle of Boo this year helped figure out the notes in my CT Vanilla 137. It's basically Boo with strawberry/guava mix and a touch of resin. I'm quite relieved that this can be a back up for the eventual death of my favorite CT vanilla bottle!

Creamy cotton candy and clean sweet cotton. I get a touch of sweet artificial strawberry from Boo where I get a stronger more natural strawberry/guava in my CT. Love it. Thank you, BPAL. :wub2:

Re: Boo 2009

In anticipation of Boo 2010 popping by my door, I realized I have been shockingly slack on reviewing anything.Shame.

*shakes head*

Bottle: Bright sugary and creamy.

Skin Test: Sugar, bright and sparkly crystals. But intertwined with a buttery note and a deep ocean of cream. Can't say I get cotton, unless its what causes this scent to wax and wane as I wear it, like sheets in the breeze, causing it to surge back into my conscious and make me huff my wrist.

*love* :) :wub2:

I thought Boo would be an instant love, but I'm actually really not feelin' it! I think it is the linen note that I am not liking. Boo is very sweet, I can definitely smell marshmallow and sugar and butter. But then there is a strong linen component too and it just ruins it for me. It's also not very long lasting on me. Less then five hours after application I can't smell it at all anymore. Boo will be finding a new home, thankfully I did not just buy the bottle as I was so tempted to do!

In the bottle: Buttery popcorn? What is going on here?

Wet: My arm smells like I dipped it in butter and marshmallow fluff

Drydown: The linen comes out and tames the scent. It is becoming less foody and messy.

Dry: A mix of sweet cream and floral linen that stays close to the skin. It's like someone wrapped a vanilla cupcake with a dryer sheet.

Overall: I was scared of how it smelled in the bottle. The dry smell is nice, but I am not sure of the linen note. It tempers the sweet cream, but at the same time, it kinda seems out of place. I like the scent, but it is not the love I thought it would be. Not sure if I will keep this.

eta: With the cooler weather and Halloween shopping, I love Boo. It still doesn't beat Sachs as my favorite vanilla, but it is close.

Edited by proserpine

In the vial - Creamy soft and sweet.

On the skin - Creamy vanilla yumminess.

Dry - A deep creamy lingering vanilla.

I actually snagged some of this for my SO, who is always using vanilla & creamy scents. But I may have to keep this one for myself, I like it that much. :D

OMG!! This canNOT be the same Boo I tried last year- it's AMAZING! It's exactly what I wanted it to be- creamy cool vanilla softness. It's fantastic- no buttered popcorn! :joy: I am so glad I didn't write it off this year. SO ordering a bottle tonight! If I have any complaints it's that it doesn't have a lot of lasting power, but I will have no problem slathering repeatedly!

ETA: Seriously?? Not again!! After being dry for a while, all of the sweetness of Boo is gone and all that's left is a dry, linen-y smell. Stupid skin sucks up all sweetness leaving nothing nommy behind. May not need it after all, even though is so good to begin with. :frustrated: Just like Gollettes- got me all excited and then total letdown. My skin chemistry severely limits the number of scents I can wear. Maybe it's time for a scent locket.

Edited by VioletFemme

2010 Version:

Creamy vanilla and sugar. Has some of the characteristics of the BPAL milk note, but thankfully does not go terribly sour on my skin, like the milk note tends to for me. This is almost identical to 2009 version on my skin.

I like Boo '10 better than last year's, but I'm not exactly sure why. It seems less sweet and has more of the linen note this year. I won't be swapping this one like I did last year's. I really like it.

This reminded me of a rich buttercream frosting. I also get the marshmallow and marshmallow fluff in this. It's sweet and creamy all at once. Pure heaven, I want to bathe in it, eat it, slather myself head to toe in it. I want a soap, a lotion, a lip balm, everything in this scent!

HELLLOOOOOO LOVER!!!

:heart: I LOOOVE Boo 2010! :heart:

Now, I didn't try last year's Boo, so I cannot compare the two. However...Boo 2010 gives me heavy whipping cream with some sugar stirred into it, and this hint of sandalwood waaaay around the edges. I guess that's the ghostie's sheet. And I get a buttery scent on and off, but nothing overpowering. The way the cream wears on me, it gives me some vanilla. REEEEEEEEEALLLLLLLLY yummy stuff! The creamyness reminds me of a creamy note I get from Calaveras, which I absolutely adore. Boo 2010 is my new Comfort Scent. 00001736.gif

Boo 2010 is my Antique Lace Lite --- very similar to AL on my skin but without the floral aspect, and the musk is turned waaaay down, if it's even there at all. The creaminess stays way in the back, warming up the vanilla and softening the sharpness of the cotton/linen. I still catch whiffs of it 6+ hours after applying. I absolutely adore it.