Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

BOO
Eerie billows of spun sugar, fluttering white cotton, and sheets of cream.

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
This scent, for me, was exactly the same in the bottle, wet and dry on me. That's a first! The sugar and cotton are the two strong notes, with the cream adding a wonderful richness without being overpowering. I'm glad to see cream take a backseat for once, on my skin it usually turns sour. The cotton is fresh, clean, line dried in crisp spring air sheets that haven't been washed with scented detergent.

It's sweet, but doesn't scream FOOD, but it does smell eerily like a marshmallow. Not a toasted marshmallow, just a straight out of the bag puffy white marshmallow. One of my favorites from the '09 Weenies, if not my favorite. :wub2:
:ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Mmmmmm this does smell like marshmallows... definitely the same marshmallows I smelled in Plastic Pink Flamingo.

However, in PPF, the marshmallow eventually went a bit cloying and I got sick of it. I GREATLY prefer Boo. As it dries, it's easier for me to pick out the separate cotton and spun sugar notes, and the cream is just barely there.

Very light, soft, and sweet! I know Boo is meant to be for fall, but I think it suits me in the hot summer weather :D

Boo is wonderful! It is spun sugar with just enough cream and cotton to make it warm and prevent it from becoming tooth achingly sweet. The cotton is way way far in the background. To me it a like Midway only better. Vastly better. Boo lacks the fried note or funnel cake note that Midway has. On me Boo also lasts much longer. So far 5 hours and going strong.

This is what snuggly cozy spun sugar must smell like.

bottle: wow. pink, sugary linen. this has a playful, flirty vibe to it.

wet: the linen note is very snappy as i apply this, it just leaps out at me. the sugar note is the backdrop while the cream just ties everything together. it's not super-sugary in-you-face sweet, it's soft.

dry: this sticks so close to the skin, a very soft sugar and linen scent. if marshmallow poof and plastic pink flamingo don't work for you, this scent might be the answer, the sugar is very subdued but there nonetheless.

I completely agree with the comparison to Midway. The butteryness of Midway isn't there, but replaced with a frothy cotton candy sugar that is quite nommy. Foodies should adore this one!

I agree with the reviewers who said marshmallow, but I get Marshmallow Fluff. A big jar of creamy Fluff! :yum:

Please forgive me, because I am not good yet at picking out notes. But I had to share how much I love Boo, I may need a back up bottle. Or two.

As it dries, I can smell what I think is the cotton - a clean background note, so the Fluff isn't too too sweet. It seems to stick close to my skin, but as I move my arm, I do catch a lovely whiff - more than I would think, since if I try to smell it, I have to get close to my arm....

It's been three hours, and it is still there. It is just lovely, by itself and I can imagine layered as well.

:wub2:

I got a bottle of Boo right away, thinking I'd love it. But it took a little getting used to.

It's pretty and sweet and clean...there's a slight plastic impression I get from what's supposed to be the "cream"...but it seems to tone down a bit after drydown.

It's gotten smoother and better with a little aging...

In short, I didn't like Boo at first but it's really grown on me. Might even need a few backup bottles.

Edited by AmandaKay

How cute are those little Ghost smilies that Thereshewent posted in her review?

Why this made ME think of Midway- the "Cotton" makes me think both Clean & Outdoory. So the whole being at a Carnival vibe is there.

But this isn't cloying as Midway. Definately not pink like Pink Plastic Flamingo and it's just not as intensely sweet as Marshmallow Poof or Mitzvah.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

In bottle: Whipped cream, yummy, yummy whipped cream. Wet: More vanilla on the skin, still very much a rich yet delicate whipped cream effect. It has a surprising amount of throw. Dry: Retains it’s creamy vanilla whipped cream effect, Though it fades it does loose some nuance. I consider this a winner overall.

Inside the bottle, I get that heavy, kind of sour milk note.

Wet on the skin, heavy cream. Starts out a bitter sour too. (Milk notes are generally not friendly with my skin.)

As it begins to dry the "sourness" does dissipate and I am left with vanilla cream. The cotton note just sort of wafts in and out of the scent on my skin. Sometimes I smell it, and other times this is just vanilla cream.

I like it, but I am not sure I love it. Damn milk notes always make me second guess. :evil:

Had reservations about this one after I ordered it but I'm really happy with this one!

In the bottel: Smells like vanilla cream

On me: Nice balance of the cottoncandy and sheets. Totally does NOT smell like dryer sheets like I feared. It is similar to Midway but its stronger. Also kinda like pink flamingo with out the plastic and sap. This is really nice and I might need another bottle of it!

BOO: Halloween 2009

In Bottle: Super sweet cream

On Skin: This is like Marshmallow Poof Lite. It has a delicious marshmallow note but it's not heavy. The cream in so smooth and clean, pure white and not a hint of sour. The spun sugar is so fluffy and yummy. I am so happy that this scent is not heavy or burnt... but I am sad that it is as light as it is. It fades quite fast. But for people who are scared of sweets or don't want anything cloying, this scent is for you. It is so pure and refined. It has no color to it, just plain tasty sugar. It also kind of reminds me of Monsterbait Underpants and I LOVE that scent too. I might try making a spray of this to wear with my Underpants oil. I may have to get more bottles of this. Very light throw and short wearlength.

In the bottle: sugary cotton candy

Wet on wrist: The cotton candy/spun sugar really dominates for a minute or so. As it dries down, I do get that sort of marshmallow fluff scent (oh hi there childhood!). It's not overly sugary, but that's the dominating scent. If there's linen/sheets in there, they're slathered in marshmallow fluff!

On the drydown: Yep, still marshmallow fluff, with the cotton candy scent having sort of morphed into that. Alas, my normally sheet/cotton/linens-loving skin apparently eats spun sugar even faster! Not sure if I'll keep it or swap it away, as despite being such a foody, nont sure if I want to smell like a fluff sandwich, through and through. Hmm. But for those who want to smell like fluff, this is the scent for you! :P

Burnt plastic sugar and dirt :( Whatever note is in Snow White and other "sugary" scents that turns to a weird-ass dirt scent is also present here. I think I just have to accept the fact that I just cannot wear foody/sugary scents.

It may be because I use TKO so often, but I recognize Boo not as a relative of the sticky-sweet Marshmallow Poof but as the pure mallow from TKO. It is sweet, but not too sweet for me...in fact, it is soft and calming and relaxing.

I may need two bottles of this--one for sleep when I don't want to be comatose all day and one for daily wear when I'm feeling stressed.

Great throw, btw.

I absolutely love this!!!!

Edited by tarotgirl

wet, I smelled billows of cotton candy, just like standing downwind of a cotton candy vendor at the county fair.

Then it changed to one of the the strong incensey sugar notes from Sugar Skull 2008.

Then, the cotton and cream showed up and pulled the sugar under control. Now it's smoother, softer and more wearable, instead of piercing sugar shock.

Foody, but, wearable. So far it has good throw, and it seems like it will probably last pretty well on me, in some form. I still have to see how the cotton behaves longer term on my skin, but, this is good so far.

~edit~spelling

Edited by Aerinha

When I first dabbed this on my wrist, I got a sweet vanilla. It is almost a dead-ringer for Sirocco from Cobalt Blends. I nearly ditched it, because although it was okay, I was not in love. Just a bit too sweet for me. It also brought to mind Sticky Pillowcase without all the strawberry pinkness.

However, I decided to go ahead & give this scent a full-on fair shot & slathered it on before I went out today. And all day long I kept getting whiffs of the most heavenly vanilla fragrance. At first I was unconvinced that it was Boo, but the scent kept following me around. Oh yeah, this might be the vanilla blend I was looking for.

It is a rich vanilla & I agree with whoever said it was toffee-like. It also reminds me of vanilla taffy, & the vanilla syrup you can have put into your Coke. The sweetness really mellowed out after only a little while, and all that is left is absolute heaven!

I am in love love love. I'm going to need backups of this one.

Unfortunately this went totally plastic on my skin. In the bottle it was very sweet, but i wanted to skin test anyways, and it turned to burnt, sugary plastic. So sad :(

ETA: I've reevaluated this one. It has actually grown on me. I really enjoy it provided i a) don't put it anywhere near Lawn Gnome as it turns to nasty burnt berry-plastic & B) don't wear it in the crooks of my elbows, as it for some reason goes kinda funky if applied there. As long as i follow those two simple rules it smells simply delicious on me, sweet, creamy, maybe slightly vanilla, and possibly also hinting at caramel. I only get the faintest smidgeon of "cotton" in the late dry down, as the scent is starting to fade, but i'm ok with that :)

Edited by Hillary

I loved the in-bottle scent of this when I first received it. But during it's first test-run it decided to do something really nasty on my skin, under what were just about the worst possible circumstances.

Wet on the skin it was milky, exceedingly so. Very sweet, but decidedly thick.

It got milkier and milkier, until I swore it was cream cheese. Warm, ripe cream cheese. I was in public during this test run, and couldn't stop wondering if others had the same impression. Argh. It was gross. :sick:

The offending odor was very similar to the one in Beaver'versary- a thick curdled, scent that is just... it doesn't work for my nose. Heavy, cheesy, and much too much muchness.

I have to retest it another time, because based on the other glowing reviews of this, it must be a chemistry issue. :huh:

Edited by Indig0

First application: Light, sweet, vanilla cream.

Two hours later: This has colonized everything else on that arm! (I was also testing one of the Pumpkins and Pomona today). My entire arm, however, now smells like sweet cream. If you like sweet, sugar-cream scents, you will love and adore this. I will probably use up this imp, but not sure if I want an entire bottle of sweet cream...

Lots of throw and very long-lasting, too!

In the bottles and while wet, this smells like Antique Lace's vanilla note, only sweeter. However, once it starts to dry down I get fluffy, sweet vanilla with just a touch of linen.

Throw is pretty good and I'm really digging this blend--to the point that I'm totally getting a back-up bottle.

Oh wow, this scent is just so wonderful!

In the bottle, its a buttery, soft vanilla cream and sugar scent.

Wet- MIDWAYYYYYY! Oh God! That's possibly my favorite BPAL scent ever, so its amazing to get something so similar, but still unique and different. Its slightly less sweet and more somber, and seems to have a bit more throw.

Drydown- I'm still getting Midway spun sugar awesomeness, but the buttery hint is dying down a little and I'm getting hints of Antique Lace in there.

After a while, I'm getting a scent that has suggestions of so many of my favorite BPAL scents in there, but never enough to make this an unnecessary purchase. This is almost too good to be true! I'm getting Midway and a bit Plastic Pink Flamingo sugariness, with Antique Lace's creamy cotton vanilla... and what's this? Snow White, you're in there too? Yes, I'm getting that cool dusty Snow White scent on the dry/fade side of things, and almost a whisper of the way Snow White reminds me of Lush's American Cream and Silky Underwear as it fades down.

Boo is just a total win for me, and I will be needing to stockpile the hell out of this one.

hrm...

When I sniffed the bottle of Boo at willcall Sunday I was taken aback. It smelled just like popcorn! I didn't skin test it at that point because I knew I had a bottle on the way and it was scheduled to arrive Tues. (yesterday). Arrive it did...and of course I had to try Boo first :)

In the bottle: a tiny hint of popcorn but mostly cream (reminds me of the cream of underpants)

On skin: ugh, not sure I like this...I can't do Antique Lace thanks to the linen note, and this is reminding me quite a bit of that same scent (vanilla + cotton).

I let DH sniff it and he liked it. He said it smelled "soft", but he says that about a lot of my oils, lol.

I really, really like the sweet cream in this though and the sugar reminds me a bit of the sugar I get from Velvet Unicorn (almost a musky sugar, hard to put into words). I'm going to let this one sit a bit and see what happens. At least it doesn't give me a headache (like AL did).

In the imp, it's very sweet and very creamy in a buttercream frosting kind of way.

Wet the sweet cream scent disappears almost immediately, but I expect that with cream notes. It's still slightly sweet but in a "slightly sweet scented old dried out playdough" way. In the locket though its still that sweet cream scent but its not as strong/cloying as it was in the imp.

After a while it's rather burnt plastic on my skin. Not very appealing honestly. In the locket it's not as sweet and creamy and it seems like the cotton is also coming out. Very faint and soft though.

In the locket at the end of the day Boo smells like sweet and slightly creamy cotton candy. It's a very light and soft scent though.

Not bad, but I think Bite Me can meet my sweet creamy Halloween scent need better, especially because I can wear it on my skin :)