Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A barrel of beer, a pyramid of cakes, and three sticks of incense.

2015 version:

Caaaake. Delicious, nutty, buttery cake. Definitely a little bit beery, but not overwhelmingly so. I quite like this one!

A heartbreaker. One of my favourite scents of all the Bpals I've ever had the pleasure to sniff, but as soon as it touches my skin it just evaporates. No throw, no staying power. I'm desperate for it to work on me, so I'm going to give it a lot of extra chances. Perhaps some sort of scent locket might help.

2015 version:

A nutty sort of cake -- so there's the beer and the foody part of it. A sweetly-earthy sort of smell, that gives me a mental picture of rich, chewy brown bread. A few moments later the incense appears as a warm, lighter, golden sort of scent. It's rare that I am able to detect all the notes in these blends, so this is a pleasant surprise. After a while they do all mingle together to become a cloying sort of sweetness, so I think this may not be a keeper for me. It acts like the sort of scent that will hang close to your skin and provide lots of long-lasting huffing pleasure, albeit without a whole lot of throw.

I think I like the concept of this more than I like the actual scent. I find the "beer" note very perfumey and sweet, not at all what I expected. While the cake note is NOT as sweet as I expected, and is more like....biscuit? I don't think I can really pick out the incense note. Overall, it's OK, but not my favourite by a long shot. Glad to have finally gotten to try this "classic" though!

2009 Version

Imp: Cakey sweet

Skin: ICING. Whoa. Ive tried a lot of "buttercream" scents and this is by far the most icingest scent Ive had. I want this on my birthday cake! Very almond-heavy. No trace of beer. Just fancy icing.

Drydown: Settles down long term as a soft, sweet, robust vanilla.

I didn't get beer, or really incense. Just a more rounded beautiful vanilla icing than usual.

If you have a forgotten bottle, maybe check how it aged.

Wet: Oddly perfume-y beer, and plastic cake icing.

Dry: Perfume-y beer, and very strong plastic. Skin chemistry fail!

(2018) I am in LOVE. Sweet almond cakes (not the cherryish almond, warm nutty almond!) I get sweet vanilla but not in intense buttercream way. I swear I also get some white chocolate. The beer is really more of just a warm wheatiness. The incense keeps this from being super foody, the way the incense in All Souls keeps in from being Eat Me. The cake+incense combination is just magical.

Edited by roseus

In bottle: beer, very very sweet cake scent that's yum.

Wet on skin: big blast of a perfume scent and no cake. Whyyyyyyyyyyy? Want More cake, more cake!!!

Dry: soft incense, light cake, very discernible beer note. Might love this, definitely going to slather test and revisit. Love the soft incense so much!

This is the incense and food blend I like the best from the Weenies I've tried thus far.  The beer note is rich and dark, boozy and a little like rum to my nose, and  the cake is "cakey;" but the whole is kept from going too sweet by the incense.  I don't think I need a bottle of this, but I'm happy to have a couple imps on hand.  

ETA - This is based of the 2018 and 2017 versions. :cheers:

Edited by VetchVesper

For something with a description that starts out with "a barrel of beer", this is so much more light than I was expecting. 2019 is the first I've tried this blend, so I have no comparison to previous years (or know how it will age - looking forward to that!)

Much more sweet than I was expecting - the cake note is definitely the most forward for me. The beer is more in the background, rounding it out, and I'm having a hard time picking up incense. Maybe that will develop over time.

Overall, this is a very pretty scent - glad I have a bottle.

2009 Bottle:

Mm this is exactly what it says on the tin. A home altar, full of simple and beautiful pleasures. A similar incense to All Souls, but far less churchy; this one is homey, friendly, dry and sweet. The cakes seem to have some kind of earthy spice to them - nutmeg? - that accompanies a baked-honey or baked-syrup sweetener. Delicious and again, very home-baked, nothing processed or fake. The beer doesn't smell really like beer to me, but rather like a yeasty, bready ferment; think sweet soft pretzel in liquid form. This is not going to get you in trouble at work for drinking on the job.

I think this gives a far different vibe than All Souls, even though they are both cakes and incense. Feeding the Dead is very down-to-earth, unpretentious, and comforting. It reminds me of the feeling I get from the smell of a dessert bread baking. It's also a quiet scent on me, so it's very wearable all day for a foodie scent. I would wear this almost any time of year. Very glad I have a bottle!

I would wear this while: rereading a favorite book.

Edited by starbrow