Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A barrel of beer, a pyramid of cakes, and three sticks of incense.

Primarily, this one is like a spiced bread or cake to me. The beer gives it a sweet sort of nutty aroma when I inhale *super* deeply. Alas, I really wanted to like this one, and it's not a *bad* scent, but it just can't hold a candle to my favorites from last year, Huesos De Santos and John Barleycorn.

I wasn't sure if I would like this. I don't usually enjoy beer or bonfire scents, but I do like cake and incense. Thankfully, I don't really get a beer smell from this, and it's not really smoky either. Feeding the Dead is mostly a sweet, creamy, grainy sort of smell on me. It's not as sweet or dry smelling as cake scents usually are to me, and it doesn't smell buttery on me either. It's very pretty. In the drydown, I get a hint of incense and what smells like just the tiniest touch of wet ash. It reminds me of the Bonfire Night room spray a bit.

I'm glad that I got a bottle of this before it disappeared :smilenod:.

In the bottle - Sweet white sugar and a touch of incense

Wet on me - A light, dry, biscuity sort of scent with that smokey back scent that comes from burning incense

Dry on me - A thick, bready, but oddly clean scent; strong and very morrish

Overall - It's not what I expected, but I like the depth and the complexity of the sweetness

Hot buttered caramel popcorn with a dash of cheese.
Too sickly sweet for me. Yummy as a room scent though!!

On wet it has a faint hint of dirt and sugar cookies, like sitting in your top secret playhouse and munching on the loot you stole from the kitchen.

As it dries, it starts to smell like old wood and vanilla pound cake.

Dry, there's a hint of that perfect, foamy head you get from a good pint of Guinness, definitely still the old wood, and still the cake. Like having a drink and dessert at an old Irish pub. Makes me miss home. :(

Buttery popcorn in the imp! I can't bring myself to skin test, though - don't want to smell like that :blink:

The beer was a bit of a wildcard for me since I was not a fan of John Barleycorn, but this blend is delicious! Even better now that it's aged a few months from when I first tried it. The cake comes through right away with a milk and cream base. The incense hovers around in a light cloud that's barely there and the beer gives a malty kick. Very reminiscent to me of Shadwell with its condensed milk note. Keeper indeed!

In the bottle, this smells like cakes made with nuts and honey. On me, it smells more like beer. Beer and cakes, yum. I don't really get much incense, but it's there's a slight powdery background that may be the incense talking. Luckily, it doesn't smell too much like I spilled beer on myself. :lol:

Cake and incense, yes, but this is pretty far from All Souls. The beer obviously makes a difference. It makes a kind of husky or gritty backdrop....grainy, I guess? Hard to describe. I wore this to work which might not have been the best idea. I hope everyone didn't think I smelled like beer! But I find this to be a comfy, cozy, happy kind of scent. Almost like a bonfire or fireplace scent, maybe because of the incense. And whoa, this stuff lasts and lasts. I'm going on nearly 8 hours and it's still going strong. Yet another neglected scent I should wear more often!

When this came out I didn't try it because I thought it would probably be like Bonfire Night.

Nope.

This is kind of a slightly nutty cakey scent with a really nice smoothness from the beer that doesn't really smell boozey. Not really much incense either -- it's mostly a foodie scent.

I'm a big fan of cake scents, and I seriously like this a lot. It doesn't seem to be very strong on me, though. I put on my regular testing amount and couldn't smell it very well, so I put on more. It's still not very strong. So I'll stick to Huesos de Santo and Cake Smash, but this one smells great too. I just wish it were stronger.

This is a great scent on me: not too sweet and not too incensey, though I can definitely smell the cake and the incense. The beer gives it a perfect, grainy grounding.

Very nice!

ETA: I also love the label art on this bottle.

Edited by OctoberGwen

2009 version:

Bottle sniff is very light not smelling too much at all. Wet on skin I can smell some beer and incense but it's a fun tolerable bit. But the dry down is all vanilla cake all the time. Medium throw but very mouth watering cake scented. :D

Edited by vanilla323

In the imp: Cakey, mostly. I think I'm smelling a bit of orangey citrus, and something creamy, maybe an almondy vanilla.

It smells much the same on my skin. I'm not really getting anything I would describe as beer, but I am getting a bit of a smoky tinge which may be the incense. Combined with the cake, though, it's making me think of recently blown out birthday candles... although it's more of an ashy than waxy type of smoke.

Dry, it's mostly smoke... but I just looked at a couple other reviews, and I agree that there's a sort of wetness to the smoke. It's starting to smell kind of gross, actually... At first, it reminded me of the remains of a campfire after it started to rain. But a burnt plastic type smell started to take over, and is becoming more dominant the more it dries. Not a match for my chemistry, unfortunately.

Edited by sunlitgarden

First it's all cookies, all the time. Which would be fine, it's behaving better than sugar cookie. It's a really realistic sugar cookie scent, not doughy or raw like a lot of the lab's pastry blends go on me. But then I get blasted with...butter. Ultrarealistic, fresh, butter. I don't want to smell like butter. Then it disappears completely, and then returns really faintly like the smell of incense smoke a long time after you burn some.

Whatever it morphs into later, as much as I like the cookie smell I don't want to smell like dairy and stale incense smoke.

I have four words for you: light boozy incense cake. Lingers very close to the skin. I think it'd be nice to layer with another perfume. It would go well with my Dior Hypnotic Poison, I think.

2014 version.

first applied this is a decant, but it quickly morphs into a full bottle buy.

seriously, I can do some but not all foodie scents. . loved yule cookies, couldn't wear braving the ice. I slather sweets to the sweet but can't pull off sugar skulls. the other hot chocolate smells like chipotle on me, but ein kuss von krampus and blood kiss bon bon are smell like glorious perfumes.

and then there's this one. THIS ONE I can and gladly will wear. sugared incense. bright and sweet wafting over a nice rich syrupy resin foundation. even with beer as a note, it doesn't smell boozy at all. (if I didn't read beer on the notes list, I wouldn't know it was in here)

there's a real warmth to this scent and it's one of my favorites of this year's weenies. so pretty, so happy. I put it on and immediately break out in smiles.

This is such a wonderful scent.

In the decant: It's definitely cake with a strong incense. Don't get any beer at all.

On the skin: Whoa now that is a lot of beer coming forth but it isn't bad, it's kind of a spiced beer and to my nose the cake is turning to spicy as well.

Dry on the skin: This is where I fall in love with this scent. Dry it smells exactly like Crème Brulee on me. I cannot stop sniffing my arm and this has instantly went into the "must buy bottle immediately" pile. Gorgeous

2014 version:

I've enjoyed all of Beth's Dia de los Muertos-themed scents; this is no exception. The cake is tan and bready with caramel, but not to the point of being buttery. I'm really loving the balance of food and incense. No beer here, but I don't drink the stuff, so maybe I can't detect it as well (on second thought, maybe the bread I assumed was from the cake was really the beer?) Wears close to the skin.

I'm not sure I need a bottle, but I'm glad to have my decant. This stuff is yummy.

2014 version

I really get the caramel cake bit, with incense, and just a whiff of beer. It's incensey-foodie on me. Low throw, but decent wear length.

If you fancy the cake/incense combo, go with this.

2014 Version

In the bottle: Sugary vanilla with spices in the background.

Wet on my skin: Vanilla cakes, a bit of hops or nutty grain, and a tiny whiff of resins. This is incredibly spot on to the notes!

Drydown: Sweet vanilla with spices. It burns down to almost a sweet vanilla floral.

Wow, this one was interesting. It was a decant for the boy, to which I raised my eyebrows when he picked it out of the lot, mostly due to my distrust of the beer note…but it works strangely well in combination. The throw was pretty light and it lasted a few hours on me.

Guh. where has this been all my life??? Why has this been kept from me until now????? It's so goooooooooooooddddddddddd...

It's thick rich nose tickling cake frosting, with incense and boozeyness. What the heck. I LOVE this. It drys down to something thick and sweet. love love love.

This is a review of the 2015 version.

I'm really glad I finally got a bottle of this. Incense notes sometimes escape me and I'm glad I made the effort for this one. The cake is not overly foodie, and the beer acts to keep it in its place. The incense is powdery but with a spicy undertone. I can see this aging really well.