Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Tombstone

A celebration of one of the first commercially produced perfumes of America's Old West. A rugged, warm blend of vanilla, balsam and sassafras layered over Virginia cedar.

Tombstone was one I looked forward to, and was not disappointed. (I thought I had already reviewed it, but couldn't find a review from me, so here goes the second wearing of it.)

In the bottle: Sassafras and wood. Emphatic.

Wet: Sassafras, wood, and vanilla. This is strong, and I like it even if the cedar is a bit much for me. A leather scent comes out almost immediately. The sassafras and wood go a little spicier. Not sure if this is the scent or my body chemistry affecting it, but whatever it is, I like it.

Later: The vanilla and sassafras are singing harmony now.

Later: It smells like warm weathered wood, a little dusty.

I love this. This is definitely going on the "buy a bottle" list. It reminds me of being in the Black Hills of South Dakota at my grandmother's place, and the times we used to play in the old corral, or drive in to Deadwood.

I was given an imp of Tombstone and was pleasantly surprised by this lovely scent. I immediately got a larger bottle. Vanilla is the dominant scent and the balsam and cedar are, in my experience, pretty subtle. I like the fact that this scent is long-lasting, and I don't really need to reapply it throughout the day. This is a warm, vanilla fragrance and is a must have for vanilla lovers.

Wet - Oh! At first I get vanilla and balsam and I am in heaven.

Dry - Almost as soon as it touches my skin the cedar starts coming out. My skin amps up cedar, so I am scared it will chase away the vanilla and balsam. The cedar is overwhelmingly strong for a few minutes and then it steps aside to share the stage with the vanilla and balsam. It's still there but it's well behaved. This is the rich, delicious vanilla of Snake Oil, and mixed with balsam it's incredible! It's a bit on the masculine side, but not so much so that I wouldn't wear it myself.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

Tombstone

Cedar and Vanilla, just as promised.

This one was in my first batch of BPAL ever, and I have strong positive associations with it. I don't remember if it was in my order, or if it was a bonus imp.

I don't really smell the sassafras as a separate note - it just smells like really good, strong, sharp cedar.

The vanilla in it is kind of desserty. I agree with the funnel cake connection someone pointed out in an earlier review. This is funnel cake sitting on an old cedar box in a dusty country general store.

It could easily be worn by a man or a woman.

Anyone who loves vanilla should give this a try.

Oh baby, this is some good stuff. I don't know why I waited so long to try it, but now that I have, I never want to be without it. Sweet vanilla, a hint of sassafrass, and wafts of sun-warmed, slightly dusty cedar - this could have been made just for me. Total love.

tombstone [dude review]

vanilla and cedar hit you as soon as you crack the bottle. i tried using an imp dab on my wrists and neck initially, but noticed the scent didnt stick for very long. starts off as very potent cedar + vanilla, then after about an hour or two the cedar wears thin and the dominant note becomes (or remains, i should say) vanilla. my nose isnt yet as keen as other boardmembers (give it time :D ), so the vanilla mightve had the sassafras traces, but i cant tell.

i later made my imp into a spray (the whole imp + 3.5ish mL of everclear into an 8mL mister), and the scent seemed to stay with me a little longer. the cedar still wears out quickly, but the warm vanilla lasts quite a while.

a couple days ago i made the fortunate mistake (do the germans have a word for that?) of spraying myself -twice- in my car, and both i and the auto were drowned in sassa-cedar-illa. ...but it still smelled delicious.

despite the warm vanilla tones after the cedar dissipates, ive been told by me-sniffers that it's still a decidedly masculine scent, but i think a gal could wear it quite nicely.

oh, btw this scent is fantasmorific. when i wear it, i constantly sniff myself. :P

Wet: Sassafras! And wood.

2 1/2 hours: A neat little blend. It has melded together now. The vanilla adds some warmth, the sassafras is a whisp of tang, and the woods make a strong earthy presence. I'd want to wear this one out horsebackriding. Tombstone indeed. I won't wear it regularly, but I think I'll hold on to the imp for when I want to kick around in cowboy boots.

7 Hours: Still there--a sweet cedar. Lovely.

this smelled exactly like rootbeer mixed with cedar on me, and it stayed that way on me for a very long time. Definately not for me today.

Why I tried it: Helens78 passed it on to me after she didn't like it.

In the bottle and wet: Cedar and a touch of vanilla.

Drying down: Cedar, vanilla and sassafras. I'm liking it.

Dry: This is a wonderful scent. The sassafras adds a nice little tang and the vanilla keeps the cedar from being too dry. This is a good smell, masculine but just offbeat enough to be different. I think it's a keeper.

Several hours later: It's morphed into almost pure vanilla on me. While it's a good vanilla, it's not at all masculine any more. I think it's going in the swap tin.

In the bottle:

root beer!!

On me:

Oh yeah, this is root beer, straight up. Not an ice cold bottle of root beer - a big mug of sweet, home made, room temperature root beer on an old fashioned cedarwood bar. That vanilla gives this a big sweet kick, and then that cedar brings it right back down to woodsy territory. I don't see this as particularly masculine, but I would love to smell a guy wearing this. This is for a guy who doesn't mind the sweet smell (and if you don't mind, and you CAN bring yourself to wear this, you wouldn't regret it! You'd have all kinds of compliments from the ladies I think). This is unique, off the beaten path kind of smell and I'd love to give this as a gift!

Final note:

Yummy and interesting!

This was a frimp from the lab. (thanks, labbies! :P )

I've worn this a couple of times now and I find it an interesting and lovely scent, but I can't decide if it is 'me' or not.

At first, it is extremely cedary on me, a very dry cedar. It is rather reminiscent of pencil shavings--but nice pencil shavings, if you know what I mean.

After a few minutes, the cedar calms down a little and the vanilla begins to come through. I do not detect any sassafras but my nose is not very keen. I also do not smell the balsam but my husband detected something (on me) that smelled like pine, which I assume must be the balsam.

After a few hours the cedar mostly fades away, leaving a lovely spiced vanilla scent that reminds me of Snake Oil, but more subtle.

The combination of cedar and vanilla seems odd to me. I could see it being masculine, yet it is quite sweet and I don't think it is inappropriate for a woman. I just don't know if it is really me. But yet, I like it; it smells divine. I can't make up my mind. I wish there were a confused/befuddled smiley.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this (totally thought I had!).

Anyway, I've sniffed trying to detect that root beer thing, and I do not get it. I get the most wonderful rich vanilla with cedar lying softlly beneath. It isn't super sweet, it isn't really masculine, it is a gorgeous deep woody vanilla, and when I tried it a few months ago, I liked it but wasn't sure about it. Now I love it, and will get a big bottle before fall/winter hit, since it is that kind of scent. :P

Ohhhh... this is niiice.

In the bottle it's a little sharp for me, a little dusky for my taste. The sassafras really stands out to me - it makes me think fleetingly of my great-grandmothers pantry.

Wet on the skin and the vanilla leaps out at me. There's something almost minty under it (which would be the sassafras, I'm guessing, even though under vanialla it's a much different scent).

Drying off and the vanilla is merging playfully with the sassafras. The balsam isn't anywhere in evidence, but it's ok... this smells at once warm and dry, almost dusty. I like it.

ETA: While I don't get the "root beer" thing others have mentioned, it does smell vaguely like birch beer to me!

Edited by ephemera

Oh, is this gorgeous.

It brings to mind golden-toasted marshmallows, slanting amber light and rough, honey-toned timber. A warm, light sweetness with just a touch of fragrant smoke, all underscored by rich, aged wood.

On me, this is strong, sweet vanilla. The vanilla DOMINATES-- I get a lovely cedar in the background, which fills it out and keeps it from going foody, plus a definite sassafras fizz and a hint of the "dusty" note others have described-- but the vanilla is squarely on top, queen of all it surveys. It's really delicious, but in the end it's just too strong a vanilla for me to want any more of it. Keeping the imp, though!

The Lab description sounded like I'd like it (oooh, balsam! oooh, vanilla!), but when I applied it, it smelled very similar to Golden Priapus on me--namely the smell of wood pencil shavings. I thought that was the pine in Golden Priapus, but I don't think Tombstone is supposed to have any pine in it, so I'm not sure where the similar note that is definitely not vanilla, is coming from. After 12 hours though, it morphed into the most beautifully sweet vanilla and balsam scent though--if it only smelled like this the entire time (or at least without the part that smells like pencil shavings), I'd buy a bottle of it. I like this a little better than Golden Priapus, but again, not enough to buy a bottle.

Tombstone is the most masculine BPAL scent I have tried so far. 'Rugged' in the lab description is pretty accurate!

I suspect this would smell quite nice on the right type of guy (now, if only I had one of those handy)

On me: It starts woody-vanilla, then increasingly starts smelling like a warm, woody root beer/new-car-smell combination.

The sassafras gets stronger in the drydown. But the vanilla keep it from getting too resiny/woody.

Now, to find a suitable gentleman to slather this on....

Wow, woodsy cedar and vanilla, and yes I definitely can pick out the sassafrass in this one. Dent know about the balsam note in this but I find it unique and interesting and I can imagine ladies with parasols wearing this as they crossed the streets in an old mining town in the old west.

Oh. My. God.

This is the catalog scent that I came to BPAL for.

I knew I'd have more luck with the "gender neutral/masculine" scents, and this, by far, blows those that I have tried out of the water. Whatever it is that happens with vanilla on my skin is a really good thing, but combined with the cedar and sassafrass (holy yum!!!) this is DIVINE.

I was out of town this weekend and was able to introduce a group of friends to BPAL and make them all slathering junkies, but I had several instances of "ohhh you smell soooo good" and taking my wrist or neck and big deep narcotic inhales (from both males and females). I need a 10ml of this one. Even my boy conceded to really liking it, and that is saying something!!

Okay, so some actual information about the scent. Directly on, the cedar is predominant, with the vanilla and sassafrass undercurrent. As it wears the cedar grows softer and blurs into this smoky woody sweet and 'dusty' (without the same kind of dusty that, say, MiskU or Midway have) and wears for HOURS as an ever mellowing lusciousness. So much better than my single note vanilla. I am a convert.

:D My first catalog love. I can see this on a man or a woman, whatever, it sure works on me!! Thank you!!

ETA: This is becoming my signature scent, as it is working its way into my consciousness and I need to make sure it's part of my general aura, as well. LOVE. Sadly though, it seems that the more I love it the more quickly it disappears on me... maybe it's just my lust for its strength that I need to keep reappling. I have a 5ml I'm working my way through right now, but have in mind stocking up on a couple of 10mls when I get the chance.

Oh, and in the bath it changed a great deal. *strong* cedar smell... I felt transported as if I were in a mountain air cedar hottub surrounded by the twinkling stars at night and the cool breeze blowing through the branches of the trees. Wow! But, I do prefer the scent of Tombstone on my skin and will likely save the rest for direct dousing. :P

Edited by Avery

Wet: VANILLA AND BALSAM woof.

Dry: The lab description is true for this one once it's dry on me, though in addition to the vanilla, balsam and woods, I also smell leather.

The leather and wood come out the most on my skin. I'm not sure how much I'd really want to wear it, but it's a nice scent to have around. It definitely evokes a kind of macho Old West vibe.

Sniffed this in passing as part of a swap.

Wow, this is just beautiful.

I'm not sure I smell the balsam or sassafrass (and I'm familiar with both actual trees), but the smell of cedar with vanilla is absolutely wonderful. The cedar fades and the vanilla become more predominant but it's still nice. It lasts a pretty long time and is just warm and sweet (though not cloying) and beautiful.

Like Brianne said, I don't think it's necessarily masculine, but I would love to smell it on a man. As well as on me. Permanently.

I LOVE it!

ETA: This does last a long time on me--I can smell it almost all day. It's not overpowering or choking, the way Snake Oil can be (I love you anyway, Snake Oil!), but is just present all day long in a subtle but detectable way. Which is the way I like it! I love it even more now that I own a bottle.

Edited by karikazo

Why does this only have four pages of reviews? Why, why? It's perfection. Love it so much it hurts. A lovely warm, cedary vanilla.

Fans of L'Artisan should note that this is very similar to Bois Farine. Not the top notes, mind you, but the base notes are nearly identical.

This is AWESOME. Five stars.

Tombstone is yet another scent I didn't seek out, because of the vanilla. Seems as though I'm catching up with all the vanilla scents this week as they keep sneaking in as freebies!

When I first opened this I got the usual "vanilla candle" aroma that always overwhelms me when vanilla is present, and it's what generally puts me off those scents. I have a hard time getting past that even though I know that it changes once I try it on.

In a few minutes the cedar and balsam come out incredibly. This is one of the nicest cedars I've EVER encountered from the lab or anywhere else. Cedar is one of my favorite scents, but sometimes it becomes very woodchippy and sometimes it is very cologney ... not so with this one. This is WOOD. This is the inside of a log cabin in an forest of cedar and pine...well, with a vanilla candle burning somewhere. :P The vanilla is still distracting me but the cedar and balsam take center stage.

I don't get any sassafras, which is probably a good thing...there's just that soft sweetness backing up the wonderful fresh-hewn wood. There are a few tendrils of pipe smoke drifting through a polished wood study in a cabin in the woods. This is a comforting, fatherly scent.

I am surprised at how much I like it. I was afraid that the vanilla would make me feel sick. I wound up with two freebie imps of this. I was going to keep one and pass another the other...but I might keep both because I can see this being a good winter scent and I might suddenly lose my mind late one December night and decide I need a ton of this.

I would have never thought that cedar and vanilla would blend so nicely together. This is dry and masculine but sweet and rich at the same time. The cedar doesn't amp on me and the vanilla is gorgeous.

I'm getting the mental image of a simple cabin in the Arizona desert, the kind that's sparely decorated and has been witness to quiet nights and a man of few words standing in the doorway, smoking and watching the sun set. Except now there is a woman too, and the sweet smell of her mysterious female powders and oils is starting to seep into the olfactory landscape.

Edited by maewitch

this is a warm scent. to me it smells like chocolatey-vanilla with something sort of like wood shavings in the background. probably the cedar? i cant decide whether i like this a lot. i think i like the scent, but am not entirely sure i want to smell like it. i may have to give it another try.