Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Tombstone

A celebration of one of the first commercially produced perfumes of America's Old West. A rugged, warm blend of vanilla, balsam and sassafras layered over Virginia cedar.

I assumed Tombstone would be too masculine for me and almost didn't test it. I'm glad I did! It's a gorgeous spicey, rich and creamy vanilla that sits somewhere between Snake Oil and Love's Philosophy! Mmmm, so good, if it stays this glorious I'll be needing a bottle.

Apparently I amp anything tree-scented. When I first applied and it was really wet, tombstone smelled like squished lightning bugs. As it dried, I smelled a lot of cedar and what I'm guessing is the balsam- I smelled strongly of trees. The more time passed, the more I could smell the vanilla. It didn't end up being too bad on me, but I do think it would be nicer on a man. There's also that waiting period for all the notes to settle down to get through. I'm glad I got to try it, though.

ETA: I kept trying it, and eventually grew to really like this one. I think my imp just needed to settle and age a bit. I still amp the cedar, but now can also get a lot of the vanilla (almost root beer) underneath. I liked it enough to get a bottle, and mine is aged- so even that much better. Just goes to show that I need to try, try again with certain scents (snake oil was the same way).

Edited by VioletFemme

This stuff smelled really nice in the imp. Woodsy vanilla with a bit of sarsaparilla. Lovely.

My skin chemistry hated it. On my skin, it smells like a pile of hamster bedding after someone has poured a bottle each of fake vanilla extract and root beer on top of it. So awful. So so awful.

This is definitely one of those vanillas that my skin won't put up with. Very sad. I'll stick with Lyonesse- my skin likes that vanilla much better.

I could have sworn there was anise in this, which I love, but the blend of these notes probably comes out to something similar to anise but more woody. It really does make me think of those old-school saloons, and there's a leathery feel to it as well even though there is no leather note in the description. The sarsparilla adds a nice root beer type of feel to everything else. I definitely get the feel of wood, leather and sweet booze...this is probably another imp that's turning into a bottle...

Edited by Invidiana

*grins*

I've worn this about three times, and I can tell it's going to be one of my "I'm having fun" perfumes. Great to wear when you're just going to be hanging out with friends, and so on.

The first half-hour or so is a very straight root-beer scent, which must be the sassafras kicking in. After a while the vanilla shows up and somewhat mutes/modifies the root beer. It goes from straight root beer, through to vanilla-flavored root beer, and then the vanilla dominates, and I get mostly vanilla, but with a fun background note of that sassafras.

The basalm and ceder never show up to my nose.

Wet it smell like freshly squished lightning bugs on me (yup VF and I tried it on together...). A nostalgic scent in my mind. On dry down the vanilla comes out to play and it is amazing. No plastic rotted notes, just pure creamy vanilla.

Edited by DeltaCat

I didn't get as much of a cedarwood smell as I would have liked.. It's not bad but the vanilla smells a little synthetic on me. Maybe because of the sassafras, which I can definitely smell.

not offensive or bad but just not really "me".

Edited by SophieCedar

Frimp in one of my orders.

I really wanted this to work because the notes sounded wonderful. I'm a big fan of vanilla - wood scents, but sadly my skin chemistry borked this one up.

In the vial, I get a very sweet, slightly spicy vanilla; it's quite nice at this stage. Wet, I get a creamy spicy vanilla with a touch of something in the background. It could be the balsam or the sassafras, I can't tell which as my newbie is still learning how to distinguish individual notes. It's quite nice at this stage too. During the drydown, something funky happens and this goes straight into vanilla candle territory. This stage . . . not so nice. It's not bad but I don't want to smell like a Glade vanilla candle. Sadly, it stays this way once dry.

I'm so disappointed because this was such a nice scent during the first two stages. I suspect that either the balsam or sassafras did not agree with my skin chemistry, as I've had great luck with both the lab's vanilla and cedar notes. I'll try this in a scent locket or use it in my oil burner, but I doubt I will revisit Tombstone anytime soon.

warm leather or something that's registering as leather-like. similarily there's something that's reminding of being smoke like without actually being smoke. definitely masculine.

I love Tombstone. It is probably my second most worn scent, after Snake Oil (I love this specific vanilla that seems to be in both! )

On me, Tombstone starts out pretty strong on the cedar and balsam, quite woody and almost a little dirty/gritty.

Pretty quickly though, the vanilla starts to warm it up and eventually I'm left with a slightly woody/dirty vanilla, which throughout the day evolves into a woody vanilla cookie.

:wub2:

The old west connotations are pretty freaking awesome too!

Edited by littlegoat

Boy, I don't know what to make of this one.

In the imp, it's woody, almost smoky or leathery, and vaguely unsettling and dark.

On, it's the same way for oh, 3 minutes. Then it turns to woody vanilla candles as someone else mentioned. I know my skin amps sweet notes like crazy, so maybe that's it. Even in it's vanilla candle stage, it's oddly unsettling and makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason I can't explain.

If a perfume can be frightening, this one is, but it's not because it smells bad or anything. It makes me feel strangely vulnerable and uncomfortable. Even though the wood and vanilla are warm scents, it comes together in sort of a dark, creepy way.

This one isn't for me. Not because of the way it smells, but because of the way it makes me feel, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

in the imp: warm vanilla

wet on skin: very soft vanilla... so cuddly!

dry on skin: I'm not getting much wood out of this, if at all... just a comforting vanilla.

I was pretty sure I'd love Tombstone based on the description and reviews, and I'm glad to say I'm not disappointed! I am, however, surprised that the wood notes didn't amp up-- for example, last time I wore Anne Bonny, the dry wood amped to colossal proportions and left me smelling like a cedar trunk that'd been dunked in salt water and left out to dry in the hot sun.

In the imp, Tombstone smelled mostly of cedar and a hint of vanilla, but once on and dry, all I get is a pretty, dry vanilla. A vanilla you can cuddle with. I like it, but I wish it were a little more complex. A little more dangerous, if you will. Think I'll try layering it with AB to get a little more woods next time-- maybe they'll be a perfect match and I'll have my super confident, pirate/cowgirl ready to take on the world scent. :lol:

I have been waffling on buying a bottle of Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener for awhile because it's yummy creamy rootbeer. Then I got a frimp of Tombstone.. It's the same rootbeer base, but warmer. muskier and a tad woodier whereas SSS is cooler and sweeter. The two together are very nice, but I think I'm going to add a bottle of Tombstone to my next order :D

I smell mostly the cedar. *sigh* I was hoping for more vanilla. Cedar fades a tiny bit after awhile, and I can definitely smell a bit more of the vanilla. Very woodsy.

Huh, it fades pretty quickly on me. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

At first sniff on the skin I wasn't very pleased. It almost had a medicinal quality to it. BUT, on the skin, just minutes later, it is warming up to be a wonderful vanilla blend that is complicated nicely by the cedar notes. I am liking this and think it may be a good vanilla comfort scent. Very nice.

This has been on my wish list for a while, and the lab sent it as a frimp with my last order!

In the Imp: sweet and bubbly like vanilla cream soda

Wet on Skin: The (vanilla cream? sasparilla?) soda scent is still there, but I can now smell (very well behaved) cedar beneath it.

While Drying: This is a very cheerful scent. Something about this reminds me of Smut (not scent, more feeling - I get more of a red cream soda from that one) but with a more lighthearted and playful feel.

After a Little While: Enough throw that I catch whiffs of scent from time to time, but not overwhelming. Very little morphing in this one.

Later: Fades too fast. I'll need to put more on next time. (And I did, and it lasted longer). The notes are present in a similar balance to that which they had wet, just sticking closer to the skin now. Vanilla, sasparilla and cedar. No pencil shavings, saunas, or other weirdness from the cedar. Wrists have more delicious vanilla and elbows have a touch more cedar.

Final Thoughts: Reminds me of Smut in the way there is a fizzy soda feel over a darker base. It makes me think of drinking sasparilla in the Wild West.

Tombstone earns a 4.5/5 on my skin.

Just got this imp in a swap and i HAD to test it!

In the imp... interesting... ROOT BEER! Ahhhh!!! I lovvveeee root beer!

On my skin this is more complex than root beer, but at the same time very delicious. The vanilla is peaking through making everything creamy. The sassafras (root beer note) is becoming a little less in your face haha. The balsam and the cedar are there giving his a very very warm almost sticky or heavy background without ever really being too prominent. This blend is just so well formulated that everything blends seemlessly together.

I smell like creamy woodsy vanilla root beer :yum: AND this root beer isn't the overly sweet kind. Make a note of that. This blend is by no means OVERLY sweet. It is only lightly sweetened, BUT it is a heavy kind of scent in that it is extremely warm.

I will definitely be holding on to the imp. It is positively gorgeous. Looks like I've found another one of those comfort scents! This would be swoon worthy on a guy too...

Gah... I can't stop sniffing my wrist... IT'S JUST SO YUMMY!

(by the way this stays pretty close to the skin and lasts a few hours, average wear, not incredibly long)

Edited by ciaobonefish

I love, love, love a strong wood blend. Cedar and balsam are two notes that I can always count on to deliver. Tombstone is all dusty cedar and medicinal balsam covered in creamy vanilla with hints of Sassafras in the backgroud. I love when sassafras smells like a perfect malt rootbeer, and in this blend it delivers the the malt on cue. It's perfect.

Whoa Sassafrasquatch! At first on me this is all rootbeer, it even smells bubbly and carbonated! Luckily as it dries down, the vanilla comes into play and I get the yummiest creamy vanilla rootbeer scent, with just hints of cedar in the background. Its like a frothy rootbeer float just placed on the wooden table in front of you. Not what I expected at all, but I'm seriously considering a bottle.

Wet: Wow, I am definitely getting the vanilla and the sassafras. It smells like a root beer float with vanilla ice cream, and something kind of dry/woodsy/dusty in the background. I don't think it's cedar, so it must be the balsam.

Dry: As it dries, I get more of the wood. I think balsam tends to go a bit sour on me, and it is here too. The vanilla root beer is still there, but mostly I'm getting dry woods. Oddly enough, it's reminding me of a couple of the Snakes, which were very dry and musty with the patchouli/Indonesian oils. Cedar and vanilla are usually nice on me, and I liked Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener, so I'm not really sure what's happening here. This might require another test sometime down the road, because I had another scent go straight to wood on me today so I'm thinking maybe my chemistry is off.

Retesting August 2014: Same imp, four years later. Still get the vanilla root beer float upon application, along with the mint-y note that others have described. I think it's actually the sassafras, though? It's not minty, really, but maybe similar to licorice. Something sharp and herbal. The cedar keeps this dry despite the sweetness of the vanilla, and the combination ends up a bit sour on me. I keep smelling myself and I can't decide if I like it or not!

Edited by tailoredshirt

This was a blind bottle purchase. People wouldn't stop talking about it and the description of cedar+vanilla+balsam just wouldn't leave me alone ;) Though I don't know how the sassafras will play into it.

In the bottle: cedar and sweet sassafras.

On wet: straight-up sassafras. Oh dear. It's not that I don't appreciate it in certain amounts but I demand more of the other notes D:

Drydown: sassafras, balsam and vanilla, creating a strange, near-minty zing and herbal base. The cedar is there, barely, a smoky, crisp undertone. I like this a lot but I hope I'll get more cedar and vanilla as this oil ages. The more it dries the more the sassafras behaves. I'll give it a full wear today to see where else it goes :)

Later: OMG. A bit later and it's practically perfect. Creamy vanilla, balsam, a spark of sassafras and spicy cedar. Genius. So glad I got this :)

This is wonderful. I can't stop smelling myself. The vanilla keeps the cedar from smelling too hamster cage. Balsam and sassafrass? That must be the golden-buttery-ambery scent. Tombstone is rich, warm and strong, yet soft. It goes great with Snake Oil. 4 1/2 stars out of 5. The 1/2 star taken off is because this leans a little towards the masculine side.

Very evocative; the scent and the name fit perfectly together.

In the bottle: Cedar, and something medicinal and green, a dark green.

Wet: Dark, thick vanilla, maybe a bourbon vanilla, where the bottle was left open until a lot of the alcohol evaporated, and you're left with something thick as syrup and just a touch bitter. And cedar, warm and dry, not sharp like hamster bedding or pencil shavings.

Dry down: As mentioned by several other reviewers, this oil takes a good while to dry. I get hints of sassafras from time to time, but mostly it just adds to the pleasant company vanilla and cedar are keeping as they relax and get comfortable together.

Dry: Dusty dry, but somehow creamy at the same time, and hard to pick out individual notes. It's a blend that's truly a blend on me; the whole is greater than its parts. Is it a woody vanilla or a vanilla-y wood? I can't tell. But I'm compulsively sniffing my wrist, and that's pretty much always a good sign. Also, it doesn't smell like leather, but it seems like leather, if that makes sense; my brain's making an association there somewhere.

Overall: This isn't likely to be one of my first tier scents, but it's high on my list. And I'm always glad to find another non-foody vanilla, and for me this is. So glad I got a bottle.

I have had nothing but terrible luck all my life with vanilla smells because they always morph into diaper cream, but this is the 3rd or 4th consecutive scent from BPAL with vanilla that I am absolutely in love with. I could never imagine the notes working together as well as they do, or a cedar cooperating with me. It's the smell of saloons, high noon, and a mug of sarsparilla.

Edited by Sultaana