Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Imbrium

Violens

Rugged and understated: five sandalwoods, dusty leather, and light musk.

I can mostly smell sandalwood, of course. Would be really nice on the right man. Very dry and masculine.

I was expecting to hate this. But, instead I love it! I was expecting it to be bitter and dark, the way alot of sandalwood blends can turn on my skin, but maybe the musk and leather help to even it out, because the sandalwood turns very sweet on my skin. It doesn't smell that manly, it smells like a vanilla sandalwood. Maybe vanilla is in this blend to? I might have to upgrade to a bottle.

I'm not getting a lot of leather out of this - mostly sweetly musky sandalwood. It is manly but not in an astringenty aftershave sort of way. I could see Violens smelling like this. Manly on the outside, but all warm and snuggly inside, the big softie. I like it!

I really wanted to like this, but it seems to be all dusty cedar on me, for which I have Cytherea.

This starts out as a very clean scent at first. The musk is the first thing I smell and it is a clean pale Egyptian or white musk. Yuck.

Luckily for me, Violens warms up as it is on, the (soft, not chemical) leather peeking out and the sandalwood get more incensey and less dusty/dry. The Musk loses its sharpness and something makes this blend get sweeter. It's very unisex, neither masculine nor feminine, or rather, it's sort of both. It is clean and soft and lightly sweet... but the leather and sandalwood ground the scent nicely. This is a really nice non-floral, non-foody scent. it's calming and spa-like to me.

Decent throw, and lasts 5+ hours on me. :) Glad I got a bottle!

Now that is a manly sandalwood. Really interesting. The sandalwood seems to shift. The leather is warm and supple. As it dries it has a creamy quality to it. Really, really nice!

I don't really smell any leather in it, but the sandalwoods and musk are smooth, warm, and very comfortable. It's a little rugged, but not overly.

I thought this might smell better on my husband, so he tried it, and it smells very different on him. On me it's a musky dry sandalwood, and on him it's almost pungent like cedar. Weird. We both agree that it smells better on me!

ETA: btw, when this is completely dry, it reminds me of Al Azif, for some reason. Something about it smells similar to me.

Edited by filigree_shadow

In the bottle: A metric ton of sandalwood :wub2: and a hint of musk.

On: Lots and lots and LOTS of sandalwood, the barest hint of musk. No leather so far. Once it's completely dry, the sandalwood turns a little powdery, but something keeps it from completely going that way - I think it's a hint of leather, coupled with the musk. This smells warm and cuddly.

Later: Lots and lots of sandalwood! Sometimes almost powdery, sometimes a bit more woody-sharp, but oh-so-very-much sandalwood :yum: The musk gives the sandalwood depth, and here and there, the leather peeps out. I wish the leather was just a hair stronger, but I am quite happy with this as it is *tries and fails to cuddle own arm* I shall have to try to smear it on the DH, too, though I'd be quite happy wearing it myself.

first impression: faint dusty and a little sour sandalwood.

Skin test: The sour develops into a cologne-y smell, and the whole thing gets really musky on my skin. This needs a boy.

Violens

On: Musk and sandalwood and leather. Obviously. Ha!

1 hour in: A very nice, slightly sweet musk with leather and smooth sandalwood. Nice.

1.5 hours in: This is a very nice, smooth leather scent on me. There's just a hint of sweetness to it.

5 hours in: Pretty. Leather with a sweet, powdery edge.

Overall: I liked this way more than I thought I would. Definitely a pleasant scent.

I thought this was gonna be more masculine than it was. I feel some resembelance to Tombstone, a fairly masculine smell that goes absolutley great with my skin. At first I get mainly leather and musk, later the sandalwood puts down the scent for a bit, not making it too strong. I love it! :wub2:

This is also GREAT to layer with Violens.

Awww yeah. These are a few of my favorite things.

I don't know what's sweet in here, but there is something sweet. It's not a flowery sweet, so it has to be one of the sandalwoods or maybe the light musk? I've smelled some pretty sweet musks. But seriously. Guys. This is way up there on my list. I still love The White Rider more, which is just white leather and sandalwood only, because this is a lot sweeter, and the leather is more of a suede or boot leather than a refined kid glove white leather.

It almost reminds me of some brand of sunblock, I can't think of which one.