Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Imbrium

Sachs

A sensual scent, compelling and passionate, that stays close to the skin: Roman chamomile, bourbon vanilla, and smoky vanilla bean.

Sachs - Sachs opens up with a strong chamomile and super-sweet vanilla scent. This combo of notes somehow = banana (???) :confused:

Once it dries down, it's a simple, sweet, creamy vanilla. It's pretty, but I've had this for months and never find myself reaching for it. It's soft and subtle without much throw and my skin eats it up, so it has no staying power on me.

In the bottle: Herbal Chamomille and slightly smoky vanilla.

On the skin: Wet on the skin. Herbal vanilla. This is more chamomille than vanilla on me, and it's sort of dry and herbal rather than sweet like Against Idleness and Mischief.

Dry: Alas, it's mostly vanished. :( It's definitely close to the skin, and the smokiness is gone and I'm left with faint chamomille against faint vanilla.

I'm hanging on to my decant, but I don't know if I'll be getting a bottle of this. It's similar to Against Idleness and Mischief (tonka and vanilla smelling sort of similar-ish), and I think I like my vanillar-y chamomille tea a bit more robust and with a shot of honey. If you thought AIaM was too sweet on you (or don't like the honey), I'd recommend giving Sachs a try. :)

I mostly get chamomile with very little vanilla. This chamomile does not play nicely on my skin. It is kind of bitter and not working for me. *sigh* I was really hoping for more vanilla.

Got Sachs when it was first released.

It originally smelled like a smokey buttery vanilla with a hint of chamomile. Same on the skin.

Now all I can smell is chamomile with a hint of vanilla in the bottle. On initial application, the chamomile and bourbon vanilla (which I couldn't detect before) come out quite aggressively. Once it drys, it turns into a smoky vanilla with the tiniest hint of booze. This scent stays close to the skin as the description describes. Average lasting time, but with age, it seems to stay on longer.

Exactly what it says on the tin. Chamomile and vanilla. The chamomile is playing nicely on me, though, and not overpowering the vanilla of the blend. There's something very fresh about this, almost aquatic, in a strange way. The smokiness is just the barest hint, which I'm happy for, as I tend not to go for that.

This is gorgeous. Sadly, its throw is basically nil, and it doesn't seem like it's going to last on me either. It's so beautiful but so subtle. I can't decide what to do with it; I usually don't keep blends that I can barely smell, but this is lovely and unlike anything else I have. Maybe I'll hang on to it to dab on before bed or something, because it has such a relaxing, soft smell. This would be a Holy Grail blend if I were at all convinced that anyone standing more than four inches away from me could smell it.

Sachs is the perfume equivalent to Sleepy Time Tea. A bedtime scent to apply after a long bubble bath. This is a soft and cozy scent, that might make you sleepy. I am getting mostly chamomile with this, which was somewhat of a downer as I wanted more vanilla. It's ok not something I would repurchase.

I wanted this to be a bedtime scent, like the previous poster suggested. I wanted it to be a chamomile-heavy blend with just a tinge of rich bourbon vanilla, and in the bottle it has promise. Unfortunately, I amp powdery vanilla and once it hits my skin, the chamomile disappears. The scent itself has no throw and little staying power.

AT LAST I have found a vanilla I can wear on my skin without it turning into burnt plastic!! Rejoice!! That being said, this is a lovely, soft vanilla with a hint of chamomile. So soft and pretty. The only downside is that it does fade within the hour, which means frequent reapplication. I’m going to get more than one bottle of this for sure.

Sachs is one of those rare BPAL's that I don't like in the bottle but smells better on me. In the bottle, it just smells like sage and I really don't like the smell of sage. Today I decided to actually try it in and it's ok. The chamomile is definately dominant with the vanilla barely being present. It's nice but not really what I had hoped for. Perhaps I will try it layered with Violens...

CHAMOMILE.

And MOAR CHAMOMILE.

I'm reminded, as I sit through this testing to see what the scent will be like after a bit, that I don't like chamomile. It doesn't get any better either. It goes sharp and a powdery vanilla soon joins it. Just not for me.

Very chamomile and sort of a fake vanilla extract on me to start. Then it is nearly gone in seconds. My skin ate it.

I tried Sachs in my search for a replacement for Antique Lace. It's got a nice vanilla in it, sweet but not cloying, and the chamomile smells lovely, too, but the blend doesn't wow me or anything. It's not bad but it's not memorable.

The fact that it vanishes more quickly than any other vanilla blend I've ever worn doesn't exactly redeem it. Seriously, I couldn't even remember where I dabbed it on my arm. I do test lightly but not INVISIBLY.

This starts off as very sweet vanilla, almost like a dessert. Once it settles, the sweetness fades leaving a balance between chamomile and vanilla. The throw is about medium, not overpowering, but not skin-close either.

So far I like this, but need to see how it lasts throughout the day.

:::SACHS:::

Thank you Sissy ( aka CkickenLips ) for passing Sachs thisaway as a Frimp! Loving it!

Having, for the most part, fallen away from the Comic Book subculture since about the 6th grade, there really wasn't enough familiarity with Sachs & Violens to provide a significant lure.

Reading about the notes piqued some level of interest, but when finances were available, there was a much heavier leaning toward some of the formulas in several other categories. Laying hands on this one came as a definative bonus.

From the Imp: Cogitus Interruptus! Sachs is good enough to slap a mouth free of teeth. The fusion of Vanillas and Roman Chamomile is serendipitously heart-rending.

This is the olfactory embodiment of that slow-song you never quite had the courage to ask for and have been regretting ever since junior high school.

This is a wooden, powdery, and fluorescent lilac-hued essence that makes every skin cell a resonant chime.

Starbursts glint in every pore.

Every hair follicle sighs in harmony of memories of easterly gusts through highmost arboreal foliage.

At times, there is almost a hint of Licorice and Nuts sprawling in the shadows of this formula.

On the Skin: The Chamomile develops brilliant, sharp edges when it's wet... A golden mace with a greenish patina.

The Licoricey element swells for a bit before tapering off. A peppery, papery, leathery effect gives Sachs a toughened, hard-bitten feel.

As Sachs dries down, much more of the Burbon Vanilla comes to the fore.

The Chamomile is softened and subdued to the point of becoming recogniseable as a delicate floral essence beneath the malice.

Sachs leaves the impression of supernaturally violent efficiency (not really) concealed by a 'softer side'.

From the Imp, this could have been described as unisex.

On the skin, however, Sachs mellows into a silkient and purring glow that is perfectly suited for Her body chemistry.

A brilliant contribution from the Lab.

4.75 out of 5.

When it first goes on me it smelled just like sugar cookies baking. Dried down quickly to a slightly soapy sugar smell. Very nice fades quickly. Stays very close to the skin.

First impression is that this reminds me of Great Grey Witch. It's the Roman Chamomile that they have in common. It's feathery and light and beautiful. The vanillas lend Sachs a lovely creaminess that is sweet but not overpowering. Stays close to my skin and fades after about a half hour. So very lovely but I'd have to continually slather. Will stick with my decant for now.

The chamomile is a little strong at first, but then it turns into a soft, almost herby-musky vanilla scent. Not that sort of vanilla that smells so in-your-face it seems like it's overly creamy and sticky -- this is the sweet dry sort of vanilla. I don't smell like a cookie, I just smell soft and sweet.

Really, really enjoying this scent. I had planned to do just a wrist test of this but I've got the stuff all over my throat now. It's not very strong, but I really like it.

Oh, I have found so many new delicious blends today!

On me, this is pure sweet chamomile and vanilla. Simple, uncomplicated, and beautiful. It is also extremely relaxing to me, even more so than TKO. I feel like I need to buy buckets of Sachs and use it in my scent bug for sleeping, and on myself when I want to feel relaxed. Unfortunately, it disappears rather quickly on my skin, but I do have a scent locket on order. I'll be excited when I can wear this in my locket all day! ;)

I feel like this must have more elements than vanilla and chamomile! Under the SUPER SWEET herbal vanilla (not at all plasticky, by the way), I feel like there's a citrus note, a white floral note and a kind of spiced ozone note. Lots going on, but it's hard to get a good grasp on it. It's warm, but wispy and magical. Girly and traditional, but with an undercurrent of strangeness to it.

I do like this, but I'm not sure it's really my kind of scent.

Sniffed: Chamomile. Hmm, no vanilla whatsoever.

On skin: Sachs is pure chamomile -- spicy, clear, brightly floral. While I like chamomile in concert with other notes, it's not so great by itself. I think the vanilla is grounding and softening the blend into something a bit more creamy, but I don't smell it at all, alas.

Verdict: Disappointed; I wasn't looking for a one-note chamomile blend. Swaps!

ETA Dec 2013:

Now, much later, I've conclusively identified how bourbon vanilla smells like -- and I'm not overly fond of it. Sachs definitely had this very sweet, glowing quality, so I must have be smelling it here. It may have been mixed with chamomile, but the dislike I expressed in this review was actually towards bourbon vanilla. I don't have Sachs anymore to re-test, but this makes more sense now!

Edited by Vega

In the bottle: light, fresh vanilla. Which it stays for a few magical seconds on my skin. Drying: something bitter and musty, like tea tree oil. Dry: the Desitin Foot Cream that my Dad used to wear. How sad. I guess chamomile doesn't like me.

LOVE Sachs. It reminds me very much of TKO--I'd be willing to bet they share a note or two--and a bit like Vanilla Bean SN. I don't know if it's the chamomile or the "smoky vanilla bean" but up close (like, nose to wrist), Sachs has a sort of unpleasant herbalness, but I don't feel like I smell it at even two inches away, so I'll forgive it. I know it says it stays close to the skin, but I wish I got a little more throw from it. Otherwise, it's beautiful.

This is amazing, and why I alway remind myself that you have to skin test these scents. In the decant, I smell primarily chamomile with something sweet and unidentifiable behind it. The chamomile is really really strong, like this is sugared chamomile with that mint-y bite. But the instant I put this on the skin, bourbon vanilla jumps out strongly!! the dry down goes through stages, getting less sweet, probably as it shifts from bourbon vanilla to vanilla bean, and the chamomile stays peeking out, to add complexity. Really pretty, not too sweet (except for early dry down, but that mellows out) and really amazing morph from bottle to skin. Neat.

Sachs

On: Lovely. A really nice mix of chamomile and vanilla, with a bit of a smoky edge.

1 hour in: This smells like something sweet and woods on me. Blah.

1.5 hours in: This is weird on me. Sort of sharp and soapy, sort of vegetable-y.

5 hours in: Powdery, sweet wood.

Overall: I like this at first, but it doesn't develop nicely on me.

Decant--Chamomile and smoky vanilla

Wet--Chamomile, chamomile, and more chamomile. If I try very hard, I can make out the tiniest hint of vanilla. I don't really like the smell of chamomile, and this one is somewhat medicinal.

Dry--It's nearly gone entirely by the time it's dry, 30 minutes later. I'm left with faint chamomile, even fainter vanilla, and the same sort of sour smell that the lighter musks leave on my skin.

I had high hopes for this one to be a very wearable non-foodie vanilla, but it's nearly a single-note chamomile to me, and with very little staying power.