Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

The Queen of Hearts

The Queen of Hearts: Lily of the Valley, Calla Lily, stephanotis and a drop of cherry.

From the imp the cherry seems to smack the hardest. But it isn't a lazy cherry, it's rich and kind of reminds me of rich cherries that have been soaking in syrup. I wanted to drink the imp. I postively love cherries.

On the skin: The cherry smell quickly vanishes to the lillies of doom! Just kidding all but they do tend to overtake it. I notice that Calla Lilly tends to smell old ladyish upon me. How strange.

Drydown: Okay, that's much better. The cherry, and the other florals all mixed together into a soft, womanly floral. Like with all blends that contain Calla Lilly or something of that kind it disappears within a few hours. Poo

Edited by Deiicide

In the imp this is a little strong and sickeningly sweet, but the moment it touched my wrist it turned magical. I could smell the strong sweet lily and hot luscious cherry, which mingled well together to produce a sultry scent. Too bad for me, after ten minutes of smelling amazing the oil turned completely to scent of generic bathroom soap and decided to stay that way for the rest of the day. To say the least I was a little heartbroken after it's stupendous start.

Love the cherry in this one-- BPAL cherry sometimes turns to sickly sweet licorice smell on me, but not here! Unfortunately, it's overpowered by the lily of the valley which results in a real soapy scent on my skin.

At first, this one is all cherry sweetness and I love it! :D

Unfortunately, as it dries, it turns into a generic soapy floral on my skin. :P

Off to swaps!

In the imp I get flowers..and a liiiiiittle bit of cherry...

But mostly flowers.

I'm trying to remember why I put this on my wishlist...as I generally don't LIKE florals a whole lot - but hey, I've been proven wrong with a few floral scents in the past.

On...it smells like water?

Does water HAVE a smell?

Nevermind.

Ew.

It smells like...Wal-mart brand bath soap.

Oh yuck.

This + my skin = no.

Bye bye Queen of Hearts.

Spring eternal! Queen of Hearts smells like early spring to me, and it really is a lily-centric blend. The drop of cherry is wonderful here---strong for a few moments while wet, but burns off quickly and then serves to darken up the edges of the florals, blunting some of their sweetness.

When I was in junior high school I used to wear a lily of the valley perfume, so this reminds me of my youth. It's still a smell I love, so I'll definitely be keeping my imp for that reason alone.

This is very cherry with a strong waft of floral in the bottle. At first it smells popsicle-y, but with the flowers, it's a strongly womanly pefume scent, wet and heady.

On, the flowers come up through the cherry, and it's almost a shampoo-smell. My! That's powerful stuff! But it's beautiful. The throw is very traditional, a pale lily scent tinged pinkish red by the cherry, but close in it's quite zesty, and soapy in an agreeable kind of way. Quite clean and ladylike, elegant with just a trace of boldness. Ironically, the redness of the cherry with the white lily fruitens the scent up to what is very similar to the scent of sweet roses (as in Two, Five, and Seven). This is an intriguing perfume, quite simple, but changeable as the well-balanced florals and cherry take turns in the foreground. Ultra-female, and wetly sexy. The lilies make it just a little sad and the cherry makes it just a little girly, so it's very much a nostalgic scent.

I'm coming to appreciate that all of the Mad Tea Party scents are true works of art – labors of love carefully crafted, and my hat is off to Beth and her pals.

In this blend I get a cherry calla lily. Sweet and floral. This is a real cherry note too, not that candied cherry note you find in most perfumes. I gotta say though, I prefer the candied cherry.... This is a sweet, effervescent blend, bubbling with mirth and playfulness.

Thanks to Ah Xia for the imp.

Imp: Sweet cherry, but a naturalistic sweet, not cloying.

Skin: Initially, this scent is what I think of when I think of the phrase "hearts and flowers." A pretty floral.

Drydown: Unfortunately, I don't think lily likes me very much because this turns rather generic white floral on me in the end, and I lose the lovely sweetness of the cherry. I guess this Queen is not for me.

In the imp: I tested this so long ago that I can't remember what it smelled like before I put it on my skin, and I've already swapped it!

Wet: There is a strong cherry at first, much like The King of Hearts.

Drydown and wear: Lily of the Valley is a strong floral, and I knew it would emerge. It actually ends up overpowering the cherry note as the scent dries on my skin. This was a very borderline one; I almost kept it, but I already have a lot of nice light florals (Viola, etc.) around my house.

White flowers and cherry. It reminds me a bit of Eve. It is a clean, strong floral. I don't see myself wearing it often, but it will remian in my Mad Tea Party collection.

This is calla lily and cherry to my nose, clean and playfully sweet. For all that, however, it's strong, almost demanding. Dignified and feminine. I really like this, even when it fades to a faint, sweet lily.

This is sweet bright cherries from the vial, with just a hint of flowers in the background. When I first applied it, the cherry began receding into the background, and very clean, linen-like lilies appeared. By the time it was dry, cherry was all gone, and it was just lilies. This one is moderately strong, very feminine, and very "adult" without being "old lady". Sophisticated. I'll use up my imp, but it's not exactally my thing. I like it on days when I want to feel like a lady. :P

I'm not getting much cherry from this at all. I'm not really sure what stephanotis smells like, but I'm familiar with lilies, and I smell a different floral in there, so that must be the stephanotis. It's not bad, but I personally like the lilies better. This one has more of that heady floral scent that I'm not as fond of.

I already have several floral blends that I like better than this one, so this one goes to swaps.

I thought I was going to love this, so I was incredibly heartbroken when The Queen of Hearts turned to soap on me! The cherry lingers for MAYBE 30 seconds before it disappears and gives way to a very sharp, generic soap. :P

In bottle and wet: Strong cherry, almost a fake candy cherry.

Drydown: The cherry fades to a light scent as the lilies take center stage and the stephanotis swirls around them.

In the imp: loads of lily, a hint of sweet almond and a drop of cherry.

Wet: Cherries and sweet almond.

Drydown: The lillies come out to play! Considering I love BPAL's Calla Lily, this is an instant winner. However, I think it's a little too sweet to wear on a regular basis, so I'm going to pass on the Queen. Wonderfully blended, though.

3/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurve

Wet: Interestingly, this is a much whiter scent, or pink really, than you'd expect for the Queen of Hearts. I like it in the imp, but florals are hit or miss on me so I guess we'll see.

First on: Lilies! Lots of lilies. Extremely feminine. It's sort of teetering on the edge of being too much.

Dry: I can't smell cherry in particular, but I do have a feeling it's blending into the lilies and stephanotis. This surprised me; instead of amping up florals to scream from my wrists (a common reaction on my skin!) this mellowed when it dried. This is the perfect springtime scent, especially because it's so light when it's dry; the throw is limited so it isn't overwhelming.

Unfortunately I am not getting any cherry, just a very soapy white floral that has given me an instant headache. :P I had high hopes for this one; I'll try it again another day to see if I'm just having a bad perfume episode.

In the imp this seems to be predominately floral, and wet, it remains mostly floral on me for about 30 min. But in the drydown phase, the cherry balances things out and this becomes exactly what I wanted it to be: a beautiful springtime scent that makes me think of weeping cherry trees with their soft pink blossoms fluttering down. I think I actually prefer this to Persephone, which was my previous floral/fruit fave combo.

Queen of Hearts is the blend that solidified my opinion that anything "lily" hates me.

In the imp, very white floral with a hint of cherry.

On me, wet, it stayed pretty true to that with the cherry floating around the white florals. It wasn't quite as sweet on me as I expected, and was more mild and soft.

However, it quickly dried into soap. Soapy soap soap soap. The same thing happened to a few other lily blends, so I'm thinking that note is likely the culprit. I was a little disappointed not to get any of the sweetness others reported, and also that the cherry ran off and abandoned me so quickly.

Queen of Hearts-

In Bottle: Ooh, very pretty light cherry-Jergens-lotion scent. A bit of lily is suggested too.

Wet: Same impression of cherry Jergens lotion and lilies, with just a hint of spice.

Dry: Hm, unfortunately this sours on me a little. Too bad; I thought it was initially nice for a floral (which are admittedly not usually my thing).

Overall: Not so much for me.