Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

The Queen of Hearts

Lily of the Valley, Calla Lily, stephanotis and a drop of cherry.

In imp: Oh, but this is strongly cherry-flavored. If I concentrate, I think I can detect the lilies, but I am smelling mostly cherry. It's sweet, almost like a Maraschino cherry, but not quite as sugar-syrupy.

Wet: Once I put it on, I smell lily first and cherry second, a nice bright background.

Dry: It's a very layered scent. The strong lily gives way to cherry; it's like the smells constantly witch places. It still smells fresh but sweet as well.

Unfortunately, after some minutes my arm smells like cherry Nerds. It has that tart, sweet quality that I associate with that particular candy. I really liked the play between lily and cherry in the wet and drying stages, but I don't know if I want to smell like Nerds.

In the imp: Artificial cherry seltzer water and soap. What's with my skin and soap scents lately? I think it's the calla lily. That's the usual culprit! :rantrave:

Wet: Not as artificial. The cherry smells more like a cherry pit than actual cherry. It has that slight marzipan smell and not the red, red fruit. Still slightly red smelling though. The lily of the valley comes out slightly in its loveliness, but still soapy.

Dry: Lily of the valley sweet, light, slightly powdery! Love this part. But the soap is still there and it might give me a headache at the end of the day.

Overall: I might try this again on a better day when not everything smells like soap to me. Love the lily of the valley. Worth a second try, but I won't buy a bottle.

In the bottle - Slightly sweetened lily, with a touch of cherry

Wet on me - The almondy cherry notes gets stronger against a background of powdery lilies

Dry on me - It disappeared quickly into my skin

Overall - Lilies aren't really my thing, so I didn't mind when this faded so quickly

The listed notes sounded pretty innocuous, but Queen of Hearts+my skin chemistry=horrifically vile scent.

Oh, this is lovely in the imp-soft sweet candy cherry over lily! Cherry sometimes goes a bit weird on me-I hope it doesn't do that here!

Oh, this is quite lovely! Lily lovers, you HAVE to check this out-it is mostly fresh lily with just the teensiest touch of cherry. I could smell the cherry in the imp but on my skin, it really is just barely there.

On full drydown, I pretty much lose the cherry altogether. I get a straight up lily scent, maybe a little soapy. I had actually quite liked that hint of cherry/sweetness and am sad it got eaten by my skin. It ended up being rather plain on me-however, if you are looking for a nice lily scent, I would definitely recommend testing this blend out.

In the bottle: ick! a very artificial cherry, like a bloody cough syrup. the lily makes it into sugary nastiness. I really don't wanna...

On my skin: oh god, gross! more cough syrup/cough drops, a nasty rotting cherry. cleaning products, a little rotting garbage. strong and artificial. there's nothing good about this, even with the lilies (which I usually love).

Last thoughts: ick ick ick, no thank you. just can't stand it.

I adore calla lilies, but I didn't get much of them in this... or much of anything at all.

Wet, it was soapy. Dry, it was soap for about 20 minutes and then it was totally gone! Poof, vanished, no smell at all.

I have no skills for reviewing perfume. All I can say about this fragrance is, that it smells 100% like jLo glow. I was wondering all day of what it reminds me of, now I got it.

Edited by cyan4c

I have to say I know that I am not an excellent reviewer after reading the incredible assessments of the BPAL offerings by the folks on this forum, but I'll give you my two cents. I received Queen of Hearts today, and felt nothing but love, as I do for most of the BPAL things that I have smelled/worn. For me the top note is like the chocolate cherry candies that have the liquid cherry in the center, and then it turns into gorgeous lily flowers. Love love love.

Edit : Unfortunately my skin was sensitive to this oil, but it has gone on to another loving owner!

Edited by stellamaris

Floral candy on my skin. Disappointed because I was so looking forward to saying 'The Queen of Hearts, of course' when someone asked me what I was wearing but I couldn't bear smelling like candy so had to wash it off before leaving the house.

In the imp: Cherries.

Wet: Cherry and fresh lilies!

Dry: Same as the wet stage, but the cherry is a bit more tame. I LOVE lilies (and cherry!), so I think this is gorgeous.

In the imp: Oil is a clear, light yellow. The blend is well balanced between cherry and florals, which makes this a more subtle cherry scent than the others I've tried. There is less of an artificial cherry or cherry candy impression. There is an almond note too, (as in maraschino cherries), and that too is not overpowering like it often is in other blends.

On me, wet: Same as in the imp. So far, this is my favorite BPAL cherry blend. I'm not familiar enough with those flowers to pick out the particular flower notes, just a general floral scent. The flowers hold their own with the cherry so that the overall impression - while noticeably cherry - is not too fruity or foody.

On me, just dried: The cherry note evaporates quickly as the oil dries, leaving behind a light and lovely scent of white flowers.

After 1 hour: As the floral notes fade, the cherry note is again detectable. Yet it doesn't overpower the florals but remains in a nice equilibrium with them.

Verdict: Yes, this is definitely my favorite of the BPAL cherry blends I've tried. The cherry note is more like the real fruit in this one, and it is well balanced with the florals so that the whole thing doesn't come off as too foody.

My rating: 4 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

Queen of Hearts bursts forth with a medicinal cherry opening, it's tart, sweet and reminds me of childhood medicine. There's nothing candy-like about this opening, the cherry feels almost astringent. In true BPAL fashion it's a little quirky and unexpected, although it feels very red which is fitting for its inspiration.

Soon after, however, Queen of Hearts fades into a softer white floral. There is a soft and almost powdery lily scent that accompanies the cherry as it fades. Strangely the lily is quite gentle, perhaps not befitting of a Queen that screams 'Off with her head!'

By the mid-stages this perfume is a bouquet of sweet lilies, all elegance and regal poise. I don't really see the connection between the inspiration and the scent, however that doesn't stop me enjoying Queen of Hearts. As a small complaint I must point out that the lasting power isn't fantastic on this one, however it's pretty until the very end where is remains as a musky skin-scent with just a hint of white flowers.

In the imp the Queen of Hearts does smell very cherry-ish and cordial like, but it changed once it hit my skin. The florals from the Lillies came through much more and while the cherry is still there it moves to the background and becomes much softer. It turns into a really pretty, elegant and soft scent. My only issue is it's lasting power, it fades quie quickly but I've found putting a small amount into the ends of my hair makes it last longer and gives it better throw. It's the perfect scent for the Queen of Hearts, without the cherry in it the florals could become soapy and powdery but the cherry adds something extra and makes it quite unique. I loved it so much I ordered a bottle. :wub2:

Edited by becca_s

Wet, this is strongly lily. A very regal, classic, upright sort of lily that is very traditional and sophisticated. Within the first hour, though, it fades out to a very soft, wispy sweet cherry with slight floral overtones -- a pretty, graceful, feminine scent. It's barely there by hour four, though, so this would have to be a reapplication scent for me.

In imp: cherry candy.

Wet: Uh-oh… cherry cough syrup :ack: Cherry cough syrup softened by lily, but still.

Dry: Cherry scented hand lotion.

Well, this was a bust! Not repulsive at any point, but not anything I particularly want to smell like. Time for you to go away, little imp.

Edited by bellumed

Tested a Frimp

In the Imp:

fresh green lillies - nothing else

On my Skin, Wet:

A burst of greenery with a touch of white lillies

It's a very pretty light & fresh type of greenery.

On my Skin, Dry:

Almost only the fresh greenery.

Mostly disappeared too.

Over Time:

Gone

Elegant and feminine - on my skin and in the imp both I can't smell the cherry at all, I am gladly adding lilies to the list of floral notes that don't go powdery on me. This is very pretty and I'll keep wearing it, but for now I am not in love enough for a bottle.

Finally rid my skin of the disaster I had with mme mortuary earlier today T-T

Got this as an imp with a previous order and had been wanting to give it a shot. I love lillies and love black Lilly so I had hopes for this scent.

In the imp: yup! Lillies and cherry! Yum!!

On skin, Lilly amps but the cherry candy smell is there. There is something else perfumey which I assume is the other flower I don't recognize.

Drying-- it's pretty-- light in character, but strong pleasant floral smell wafting and non cloying with the faintest hint of over ripened cherries hidden underneath. Something about this just smells like the color pink. It's very fluffy and sugary-flowery, creamy from the lilly notes but not dusty. It smells like a beautiful bridal bouquet of lillies.

I would have liked a stronger cherry smell to be honest like some of the other reviews are getting. It is however one of the nicest straight up classic floral scents I have tried from the lab, so I may have to get a bottle. <3 <3

I'll pass the imp along to my sister and find out her verdict and see if she wants one too.

So...I get no cherry at all when the scent is on me. There's definitely lillies, but there's also a slightly acrid note. There are moments when it smells like soap, but then that sharp note comes into play. Mostly it's Lily though. Eh.

In the imp I smell cherry and lilies. On my skin this is nothing but straight up spike-through-the-head white floral. There's nary a cherry to be whiffed. Lily is a beautiful flower, but I don't want to smell like one, especially since my head hurts. I guess now I can say with reasonable certainty that I should avoid calla lily, lily of the valley, and probably stephanotis. Before it could even dry fully, I had to wash it off with baking soda followed by soap, just to be sure.

Overall: pleasant!

The imp smells very strongly of cherry. When I first put it on it was nicely floral and very pretty. After a while I could smell nothing but cherries, though, and then it disappeared quickly.

A bit too much cherry for me, despite the description saying "a drop". Nice enough, but not one I'll keep wearing.